Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3418507 - 10/26/11 12:08 AM Stuttering  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Came upon this tip in 1C which I thought I'd pass on FWIW. Dunno if it works or not, but would welcome others' experiences be they "Yay" or "Nay"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaniels
Hi again!

got verified that if you got stuttering during online gaming, use Win key to get on desktop (Clod runs during that in the background) and directly change back in CloD by using Taskmanager or Alt + Tab!.

Stutters are gone if you do that! Have verified this now 3 Times!

Snapper's reply:
Gonna have to try this next time this happens. It might even prevent a CTD if done in time -- just have to make sure the plane is straight & level or even in a slight climb so it won't impact the ground while flying hands-off for the few seconds it takes to do this.

Hopefully it does the trick. Irregardless, thanks for passing this tip on!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3418517 - 10/26/11 12:14 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

I've heard it helps if you sprinkle ginger cat fur and rotate three times around a Sagitarian chimney-sweep too. smile

Actually, the desktop tab in/out doesn't reinitialize the rendering so it's not that unlikely this may help (or get around some bug they have in starting up)

I'm off to try it, although my stutters are usually grass dependent and I've got that off now.

#3418535 - 10/26/11 01:08 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: FearlessFrog]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Oh, that was "ginger CAT FUR" you wrote! Dang. Didn't read carefully and now all that ginger ALE has wreaked havoc on my PC...... dizzy

Hey, the fellow tried it THREE (count 'em) TIMES and it worked, so that's gotta be proof positive. Plus, I found it on the 'Net, so it's gotta be true, right? Well, ya never know. Crazier things have happened. This proposed stutter-cure is harmless enough and easy to do, so what the hey? smile

In the meantime, I've got some rare 21-year-old Single Malt Scotch and all this ginger ale to mix with it. No ice though.....I'm not a Philistine.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3418647 - 10/26/11 05:13 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
dip the cat in the ginger ale, skull the scotch and alt tab the ice up the chimney sweeps nose, if you notice any stutters while you are half knocked out on the floor with a clawed up arm , blame the scotch.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3418721 - 10/26/11 09:38 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
SYN_Jedders Offline
SYN_Jedders  Offline

Its about as mad as turning off trees so that your sound doesnt cut out...remember that`n?....

#3418754 - 10/26/11 11:52 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
I never had a problem with stuttering or low frame rates once I turned OFF shadows. I get an average of 47fps in the Black Death track with all settings at HIGH, and Shadows, anti-epilepsy, SASSO OFF. AMD X6 1075T @ 3.5GHZ, AMD HD5870 1GB DDR5, 6 GB DDR3 RAM, WIN7 64 bit.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3418887 - 10/26/11 02:56 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

For me shadows off is unacceptable... This isn't 2003...

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3418944 - 10/26/11 04:09 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: Freycinet]  
JG52Krupi Offline
JG52Krupi  Offline

Turn Hyperthreading off... the removal of custom skins on ATAG while annoying has also reduced the stuttering.

We need ROF official custom skin type of thing ASAP.

#3420121 - 10/28/11 04:07 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Reducing memory to 640K might help too... wink

It's really sad that in desperation people are trying things they shouldn't need to to get this sim working smoothly, when there really isn't any of us can do but wait - no amount of bowing to mecca is going to overcome fundamental flaws in the design and coding. Play something else and come back every now and then to check for patches.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3420133 - 10/28/11 04:55 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: Bard]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bard

It's really sad that in desperation people are trying things they shouldn't need to to get this sim working smoothly, when there really isn't any of us can do but wait - no amount of bowing to mecca is going to overcome fundamental flaws in the design and coding. Play something else and come back every now and then to check for patches.

Bard, I would do just that if I wasn't having so much fun with Cliffs of Dover. Just flew 1.5 hours on the ATAG server tonight, hooked up with a few guys on Teamspeak, and basically formed a "hornets' nest" over Hawkinge. We took on fighters and bombers, AI and human alike, and had a blast. No stuttering nor crashes tonight whatsoever -- possibly with the ATAG server disabling custom skins there's less load overall when new players spawn...dunno. I managed to log 2.58 kills myself and was front seat to others' kills; managed to deadstick land twice due to battle damage and engine abuse. We had good discussions over Teamspeak on best ammo loadouts, fuel loads (endurance vs agility), and lots of really, really sick jokes. All to say, I'd miss out on all that if I took your advice and shelved CoD waiting for the next patch.

Obviously this is the wrong place to make suggestions on how to make the sim run better. Guess we should just come to the SimHQ Cliffs of Dover forum to check for patches then go play some other game. screwy

#3420644 - 10/28/11 08:44 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: Freycinet]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Originally Posted By: Freycinet
For me shadows off is unacceptable... This isn't 2003...

Agreed. But I rather fly with avg fps of 47 rather than 26. Yes, that is how much of variance there is on my system with shadows off and on.

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3423263 - 11/01/11 07:19 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Snapper
Originally Posted By: Bard

Bard, I would do just that if I wasn't having so much fun with Cliffs of Dover. Just flew 1.5 hours on the ATAG server tonight, hooked up with a few guys on Teamspeak, and basically formed a "hornets' nest" over Hawkinge. We took on fighters and bombers, AI and human alike, and had a blast. No stuttering nor crashes tonight whatsoever -- possibly with the ATAG server disabling custom skins there's less load overall when new players spawn...dunno. I managed to log 2.58 kills myself and was front seat to others' kills; managed to deadstick land twice due to battle damage and engine abuse. We had good discussions over Teamspeak on best ammo loadouts, fuel loads (endurance vs agility), and lots of really, really sick jokes. All to say, I'd miss out on all that if I took your advice and shelved CoD waiting for the next patch.

Obviously this is the wrong place to make suggestions on how to make the sim run better. Guess we should just come to the SimHQ Cliffs of Dover forum to check for patches then go play some other game. screwy

I'm so very glad you're having fun - but the sim is complete garbage in its current state. Making it run better is a purely relative thing. Right now it runs like Steven Hawking - strapping a skateboard to his butt isn't REALLY going to help him run.

A consumer should not need to screw about with extra programs/file replacements to get antialiasing to work, have to disable XFire or SLI because COD doesn't work properly, or hack any config files or bind dozens of keys unbound by default.

When the sim is out of Alpha in ALL advertised portions I'll bother. Right now the sim is at the utter bottom of my playlist of dozens of other fully functioning entertainment products - I'll spend my time playing the ones that work thankyou.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3423319 - 11/01/11 08:24 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
ATAG_Ohms Offline
ATAG_Ohms  Offline

ottawa
Bard I understand your point of veiw completely,we should not have to do anything to the program to make it work BUT as one of the guys that has,i like snapper are having a blast with this sim as is.My machine is very weak to run this game in all its glory but i am willing to compromise at this moment in time in the hope it gets to the level which we all beleive it should be.

Core 2 Duo 2.33GHZ
8GHZ Ram
5670Gigabyte Vid 1meg
Just a basic Dell Studio 540 with video card upgrade.

#3423454 - 11/01/11 11:23 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

Sorry bard, that some people do something to have fun as it seem to oppose your pov that everything should be presented on a platter.

FYI, some people know that having earned something by working for it beats a ready made package all the time.

Of course in a ideal world we would have gotten this package but we are living in a real world.

Better to have fun now, then to wait for someone else doing the work.

Last edited by robtek; 11/01/11 11:26 PM.
#3423832 - 11/02/11 03:53 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Greiss Offline
Greiss  Offline

Olympia, WA
I haven't fired up the CloD.exe since July. I haven't actually "flown" CloD since May. Downloaded the latest patches from Steam, cleared out shader cache, checked, rechecked and triple-checked settings.

Choose quick mission, free flight over England....(facepalm). This game is still a huge, steaming, pile of poop. And what the heck happened to the cockpit textures???

I'll check back again in six months.

Last edited by Greiss; 11/02/11 03:54 PM.

Flying as "Greiss"

System specs:
I7 920 oc'd @4.0GHZ
6GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX260
Asus P6T MB
#3423859 - 11/02/11 04:42 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: Greiss]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: Greiss
I haven't fired up the CloD.exe since July. I haven't actually "flown" CloD since May. Downloaded the latest patches from Steam, cleared out shader cache, checked, rechecked and triple-checked settings.

Choose quick mission, free flight over England....(facepalm). This game is still a huge, steaming, pile of poop. And what the heck happened to the cockpit textures???

I'll check back again in six months.

Bad luck. See you in six months.

#3424903 - 11/03/11 07:48 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Kankkis Offline
Kankkis  Offline

FInland
Snapper that alt tabbing fix is possible, i see you have SLI, there was bug in ATI drivers with battlefield 3 too to detect crossfire, alt tab cures the crossfire problems.
Without alttab BF3 uses 1 gbu only, it is fixed now.

Last edited by Kankkis; 11/03/11 07:48 PM.
#3424937 - 11/03/11 08:20 PM Re: Stuttering [Re: Kankkis]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: Kankkis
Snapper that alt tabbing fix is possible, i see you have SLI, there was bug in ATI drivers with battlefield 3 too to detect crossfire, alt tab cures the crossfire problems.
Without alttab BF3 uses 1 gbu only, it is fixed now.

That's interesting, Kankkis! SLI works quite well for me in CoD (hoping for a CoD-specific profile, though). I know there are big problems with Crossfire in CoD, but I haven't yet seen any reports that ALT TAB fixes it as in BF3.

#3426235 - 11/05/11 01:15 AM Re: Stuttering [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
Remember that the main forum is supposed to be focused on how to actually operate/enjoy the software.

I'd suggest that someone start a new thread on 'stuttering solutions' once this one has been moved.

Thanks to a couple of off-topic posters, this thread now is a better fit for the 'extended discussions' sort of speculation. Please remember the descriptions at the top of each forum.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.