Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3421847 - 10/30/11 11:38 PM More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Quoted below are "Ssnakes" comments to SimHQ about the images:

"I have a few new shots for you showing the MRAV Boxer which was just introduced a few months ago to the Bundeswehr; here as the ambulance and the troop carrier variant. It's probably the most heavily armored wheeled vehicle these days at about 32 tons weight. Quite a whopper! Both have already been deployed to Afghanistan a few months ago though I haven't heard about their performance."

"In SB Pro PE the troop carrier variant can be equipped with one of several remote weapon stations that can be controlled by the user, and with a shot detection system that can identify the caliber and location of an attacker by sound analysis (these systems are already deployed, though not necessarily with the Boxer). In this example, it's the Pilar shot detection system that can be configured to automatically override the gunner and point him to the approximate location of the attacker, in azimuth, elevation, and range."

"And now the Fuchs armored transport vehicle. It's also in the US inventory in the NBC reconnaissance role ("NBC Fox"), but by and large it's mostly being used by the Bundeswehr."

"Here is the Fuchs A6..."

"And below is the Fuchs A7 with additional armor and a protected roof gunner's position as it is currently employed in Afghanistan."

"The Boxer will replace the Fuchs in a few years, so I guess it's somewhat fitting to present both together. Admittedly these light armored vehicles aren't particularly glamorous or 'sexy' -- but they do play an important role in ongoing operations. Sometimes perhaps it is the not-so-spectacular things that make a big difference." smile

NOTE - Also see these threads for more of 2.6
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/3421821/
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3417689/
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3415875/1/

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3421885 - 10/31/11 12:37 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Jeevz Offline
Duke of URL
Jeevz  Offline
Duke of URL
Veteran

Clermont, FL
My kingdom for some shadows in this game.

Commence to Jigglin'
#3421947 - 10/31/11 02:42 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Jeevz]  
Cworth Offline
Cworth  Offline

Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jeevz

Agree completely.

People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.
#3421958 - 10/31/11 02:59 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Wicked Offline
Wicked  Offline

Germany and the Netherlands
Very nice models! thumbsup Cannot wait for the update smile

Hänschen klein ging allein
In die weite Welt hinein.
#3422041 - 10/31/11 04:39 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Jeevz]  
johncage Offline
johncage  Offline

normal maps
soft shadows
self shadowing
advanced particles

#3422072 - 10/31/11 05:44 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Unfortunately we just couldn't cram that part into the schedule for this release. It's next on the agenda (really!) - I have to say though that quite honestly, the lack of shadows is most dramatic only in these screenshots. During simulation runs you're doing something wrong if your attention is focused on your own vehicle. Most of the time you'll be spending in thermal and gun sights, or scanning the horizon with binoculars, and there the lack of shadows shouldn't bother you too much.
Maybe we're too engineering oriented and focus too much on the pure functionality.
But the new version will allow for rendering distances of up to 18 kilometers, and I have to say that the ability to orient yourself with prominent mountains in the distance is very helpful - had somebody forced me to make a choice, I'd have chosen the longer render distance in a heartbeat because the overall utility value is much higher. I concede though that my point of view isn't the only valid one.
wink

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3422092 - 10/31/11 06:30 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: johncage]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: johncage

normal maps

I don't get that one.
Normal maps?

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#3422095 - 10/31/11 06:38 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer
komemiute  Offline
Hell Drummer
Hotshot

Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
#3422407 - 10/31/11 05:49 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: johncage]  
KastaRules Offline
KastaRules  Offline

Italy
Originally Posted By: johncage

normal maps
soft shadows
self shadowing
advanced particles

+1

I understand that in simulators graphics are NOT the main concern, but they still play a very important role because realistic graphics will greatly improve the game immersion.

#3422573 - 10/31/11 09:35 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Like I said, I do not debate the beauty of shadows. It just wasn't in the cards for the coming release. The alternative would have been to wait well into 2012, maybe even until summer, before we could have completed SB Pro PE, and that would have been more than the 18 month schedule which is the latest when we want to come up with a new version. 15 months is the targeted upgrade cycle, which will work out just fine this time .

#3422603 - 10/31/11 10:30 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Ssnake]  
oscarklein Offline
oscarklein  Offline

Originally Posted By: Ssnake
Like I said, I do not debate the beauty of shadows. It just wasn't in the cards for the coming release. The alternative would have been to wait well into 2012, maybe even until summer, before we could have completed SB Pro PE, and that would have been more than the 18 month schedule which is the latest when we want to come up with a new version. 15 months is the targeted upgrade cycle, which will work out just fine this time .

If Shadows will be added in the next upgrade will there be a chance to add some sort of suspension system as well? I never seen a tanksim that doesnt have this these days exept Steel beasts pro. Is this a sign the simulation is getting out-dated , or is there some other reason for not including this in the sim?

#3422638 - 10/31/11 11:12 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Chris2525 Offline
Chris2525  Offline

Canada
Is there any way to buy this online via direct download? Their site only seems to offer DVD versions.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
#3422727 - 11/01/11 01:07 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: oscarklein]  
Jack_Spanner Offline
Jack_Spanner  Offline

Except for one crack head over on the steelbeasts forums, there really isnt a demand for bouncing roadwheels when it comes at the expense of other new vehicles. Things change glacially in the SB world.

The is always a digital download for the updates, so Im sure this update will be no exception. The problem is you need a dongle and youcant download that, so new users will have to order and wait a couple days for the mail to arrive.

Last edited by Jack_Spanner; 11/01/11 02:24 AM.
#3422784 - 11/01/11 02:40 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Ssnake]  
Cadmium77 Offline
Cadmium77  Offline

it looks great. I like the look of those soldiers...are they still sprites? If so they're damn good lookingi sprites...

#3422902 - 11/01/11 08:06 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Jack_Spanner]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: Jack_Spanner
The problem is you need a dongle and you cant download that, so new users will have to order and wait a couple days for the mail to arrive.

There's always the option to order a copy today and then the upgrade later. The price has been reduced so that in combination with the upgrade both will cost exactly the same as a brand new 2.6 copy. So if anyone is already convinced - not even halfway through the presentation of new stuff in 2.6, mind you - that he'd like to have it, my recommendation would be to start with 2.5 right away then then just perform the license update and installation file download as soon as 2.6 is being made available.
smile

#3422909 - 11/01/11 08:18 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: oscarklein]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted By: oscarklein
If Shadows will be added in the next upgrade will there be a chance to add some sort of suspension system as well? I never seen a tanksim that doesnt have this these days exept Steel beasts pro. Is this a sign the simulation is getting out-dated , or is there some other reason for not including this in the sim?

Oscar, do you really believe that hawking over a single item in every. single. post. that you write will make the animation of roadwheels come any faster?
Constant reiteration of the same point with the same arguments and without actually learning from three years or replies to that same question of yours only makes you look like a robot. Is there really nothing of bigger importance for you? Even if so, do you really believe that we haven't got your point?

Steel Beasts Professional, above all, is a simulation of combined arms combat tactics - at battalion level and below in larger multiplayer games, at company team level and below for a single player. A secondary role of Steel Beasts is crew procedure and gunnery training, in combination with the right hardware, be it as a desktop trainer station or as a part of larger cabin trainer installations (I hope to be able to make a decent video of some of them in the future). Bouncing roadwheels simply are of no importance in either role. Their main purpose is "good looks". Good looks are nice, we like them like everybody, but they simply are not at the focus of our attention, and never will as long as our main business is in delivering training tools.

#3423033 - 11/01/11 02:22 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: Ssnake]  
oscarklein Offline
oscarklein  Offline

Originally Posted By: oscarklein

Oscar, do you really believe that hawking over a single item in every. single. post. that you write will make the animation of roadwheels come any faster?
Constant reiteration of the same point with the same arguments and without actually learning from three years or replies to that same question of yours only makes you look like a robot. Is there really nothing of bigger importance for you? Even if so, do you really believe that we haven't got your point?

Steel Beasts Professional, above all, is a simulation of combined arms combat tactics - at battalion level and below in larger multiplayer games, at company team level and below for a single player. A secondary role of Steel Beasts is crew procedure and gunnery training, in combination with the right hardware, be it as a desktop trainer station or as a part of larger cabin trainer installations (I hope to be able to make a decent video of some of them in the future). Bouncing roadwheels simply are of no importance in either role. Their main purpose is "good looks". Good looks are nice, we like them like everybody, but they simply are not at the focus of our attention, and never will as long as our main business is in delivering training tools.

I think you are mistaking me for someone else buddy. This is my first post on the subject and i dont even have Steel Beast (yet)
But to comment on the subject (if you dont mind) i understandt bouncing roadwheels do not have that much value for simulation and that for the bigger part its just good on the eyes.
But it seems shadows are about on the same level arent they? I wouldnt see any real value for simulation but yet it is mostly good on the eyes right?
However its not a showstopper and i considering buying steel beasts somewhere along the line. Its just that i wondered if it would ever see implementation thats all.
I didnt know that it was THAT big of an issue for some..

#3423139 - 11/01/11 04:49 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
There's an Oscar Klein-S. on the Steel Beasts forum with exactly the same arguments... That would be a remarkable coincidence.

#3423455 - 11/01/11 11:25 PM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: citizen guod]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

I don't know about anyone else, but bouncing road wheels are at least a distant 10th on my list of wants, far below a playible Merkava with 3D female crew who sport something else that bounces.

Edit
Must be a popular name and handle
http://twitter.com/oscar19681

Last edited by TankHunter; 11/02/11 01:20 AM.

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3424329 - 11/03/11 03:10 AM Re: More new screenshots for Steel Beasts Professional PE 2.6 [Re: kramer]  
Cadmium77 Offline
Cadmium77  Offline

Originally Posted By: kramer
in the 2.6 upgrade the soldiers will now be 3D. no more sprites.

Hooray...those look damned good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.