Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3411438 - 10/16/11 07:13 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
I used Steam a couple of years ago. I had continual problems with it. I won't use it again. I they would use a solution similar to what RoF uses now, I'd go for that. But past experience makes me completely rule out Steam.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3411457 - 10/16/11 07:57 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: vocatx]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: vocatx
I used Steam a couple of years ago. I had continual problems with it. I won't use it again. I they would use a solution similar to what RoF uses now, I'd go for that. But past experience makes me completely rule out Steam.

What happened? Was your account stolen? Did you lose your password? It doesn't help much to say 'It's rubbish' without saying why.
Genuine question by the way, I don't mean to say that you don't have a good reason.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3411783 - 10/17/11 05:25 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
The sim need MUCH more work before it's anywhere near acceptable when measured against other entertainment software products.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3412591 - 10/18/11 04:34 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
PorkChopExpresS Offline
PorkChopExpresS  Offline

Its getting better, dont loose hope fellas.....!!!!

#3412704 - 10/18/11 08:06 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Well, over the last couple of patches I've finaly been able to play the game and I'm having an enjoyable time at last..
I certainly went through the phase of 'can't be bothered with this, it's getting shelved'.. but with each patch release I've always come back to give it another go..
The second beta patch enabled me to play the game without lockups, and so far this new patch has made it even better.. it's even allowed me to play the whole of the 'black death' track without any kind of problem, so for me its a huge step forward.
There will no doubt be the same people who maintain this bitter attitude that they have been 'cheated' in some way, and will continue to slag the game and refuse to play it, but I think they are declining as time goes by and it becomes 'playable' for more of us.
It's worth 'dusting off' that shelved copy even if its just to see what the state of play is.. but some people will have to 'bite the bullet' and upgrade their rigs at some point, as this game, as it was for many of us after purchasing the original IL2, may not play on their machines regardless of any amount of patching..
I have a decent pc with a quad core, win7 64 bit pro, gtx570 and 4gb of ram, which is still not a top of the range rig, but would play any title I purchased no problem, but right up until last month, CoD would not play on it..
As stated, the game now plays for me and I haven't had a single lock up since the last patches, so there has been some radical improvements as far as I'm concerned. smile

#3413094 - 10/18/11 06:47 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Mines on the shelf until it resembles a finished product.

#3413154 - 10/18/11 08:01 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Trooper117]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Well, over the last couple of patches I've finaly been able to play the game and I'm having an enjoyable time at last..
I certainly went through the phase of 'can't be bothered with this, it's getting shelved'.. but with each patch release I've always come back to give it another go..
The second beta patch enabled me to play the game without lockups, and so far this new patch has made it even better.. it's even allowed me to play the whole of the 'black death' track without any kind of problem, so for me its a huge step forward.
There will no doubt be the same people who maintain this bitter attitude that they have been 'cheated' in some way, and will continue to slag the game and refuse to play it, but I think they are declining as time goes by and it becomes 'playable' for more of us.
It's worth 'dusting off' that shelved copy even if its just to see what the state of play is.. but some people will have to 'bite the bullet' and upgrade their rigs at some point, as this game, as it was for many of us after purchasing the original IL2, may not play on their machines regardless of any amount of patching..
I have a decent pc with a quad core, win7 64 bit pro, gtx570 and 4gb of ram, which is still not a top of the range rig, but would play any title I purchased no problem, but right up until last month, CoD would not play on it..
As stated, the game now plays for me and I haven't had a single lock up since the last patches, so there has been some radical improvements as far as I'm concerned. smile

...and now?

#3413260 - 10/18/11 09:59 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
lol.. thought I was pretty clear on how the game was working for me after the new patch mate.. it has the usual problems that I'm not going to rehash here, thats been done on other threads.. I went online tonight with ATAG, no dramas on that score, worked fine.. Flew from Ramsgate to Dover area, lots of flak about but missed the party, couldn't find the bad guys so landed without incident!

#3413289 - 10/18/11 10:56 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Oh OK, for some reason I thought your current impressions were from the beta rather than the release version.

#3414929 - 10/21/11 12:44 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: katdog5]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: katdog5
Originally Posted By: Blade_RJ
I remember on release, people claimed it was bugged,seem lots of video of unplayable frame rate, have those issues been fixed ? is it safe to buy now ? thanks.

Yes, but a lot depends on your PC. The actual minimum specs should be a 3+Ghz processor, 8GB Ram and a 1.5GB+ Video Card

If you have that, the game will run pretty good. If you have less than that, you will have tweak like mad and end with less than desirable results. The sim is running pretty nicely for me and is quite impressive.

I have those specs (3.8ghz OC on the CPU, and a 2gb Video card, plus the 8 gigs) and I still get stutters over towns. It's poorly optimized and coded, and to say that it's playable is being VERY generous in my opinion.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 10/21/11 12:44 AM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3414934 - 10/21/11 01:02 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Icarus1
Its not unplayable if you have a beefy rig, but there are a lot of issues left unfixed/unfinished at this time. It still has not had an official patch since the buggy unfinished release in NA (only beta patches). The next patch should be an indication where this is going. If it fixes some of the major issues there is hope for an excellent WWII sim in the future. If it breaks more than it fixes this sim IMO is doomed. Either way it appears it will take quite a while to get it finished.

Given the titles crash and burn at launch, 1.5 star rating on Amazon, and a dev team already worn down to the bone, I'd say it's been doomed for a while. The final bullet in it's head will be when 777 decides they want to do WWII.

Think about it, if Rise of Flight were a WWII game focused on the BoB, would any of you be playing CloD?

Didn't think so. CloD is only still with us because it gets to enjoy not having any direct competition.

PS: RoF doesn't use steam wink

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3414957 - 10/21/11 01:40 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Its not unplayable if you have a beefy rig, but there are a lot of issues left unfixed/unfinished at this time. It still has not had an official patch since the buggy unfinished release in NA (only beta patches). The next patch should be an indication where this is going. If it fixes some of the major issues there is hope for an excellent WWII sim in the future. If it breaks more than it fixes this sim IMO is doomed. Either way it appears it will take quite a while to get it finished.

Given the titles crash and burn at launch, 1.5 star rating on Amazon, and a dev team already worn down to the bone, I'd say it's been doomed for a while. The final bullet in it's head will be when 777 decides they want to do WWII.

Think about it, Didn't think so. CloD is only still with us because it gets to enjoy not having any direct competition.

Agreed. RoF is a far superior piece of software over CoD. I just don't see this sim getting finished before doomsday at the rate they are going. I mean its been out for 4 months now in the US with a patch and it still shimmers like crazy because it doesn't even support AA over 2x for crying out loud. And I know why too. If they enabled it, it would drop the fps so low the game would be completely unplayable. Its a damn shame.

#3415044 - 10/21/11 07:57 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada

Think about it, if Rise of Flight were a WWII game focused on the BoB, would any of you be playing CloD?

Didn't think so. CloD is only still with us because it gets to enjoy not having any direct competition.

ROF was also not very good when it was first released, and it wasn't much better six months later. Now it has developed into a decent sim. COD will also improve over the next year. ROF could very well develop a WW2 aircombat sim, but I don't see that happening for many years, and in that time COD should have the game engine faults sorted and their next theater released. I'd like to see COD have some competition, but don't see any competitors in the near future.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3415060 - 10/21/11 08:57 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

I really would hate a wwii sim with the limitations of RoF.

Imo RoF is only good for dogfights with really limited numbers.

The FM is ok and the eye-candy also but for game depht, there is old IL2 better.

Also the business model works with a limited number of planes, for wwii one would have to spend thousands of bucks to get the planes.

#3415085 - 10/21/11 11:03 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
NineLives Offline
NineLives  Offline

Shropshire UK
I just can't get into ROF. I have tried many times. I find it a frustrating game to play with me unable to fly straight and level, see properly or find the enemy. I know it's me but I would be concerned I would have the same problem if they did a WW2 version.

Whereas I have no problem at all with CLOD. Personally I just hope they can go on refining CLOD and give it the life of the original IL2.

#3415090 - 10/21/11 11:32 AM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

RoF has increased its sight range from 2,5km to around 8km some patches away. One have just to edit the settings.

the rest is, what you are making out if it, on- and offline.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3415100 - 10/21/11 12:07 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Chivas]  
Robusti Offline
Robusti  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chivas

ROF was also not very good when it was first released, and it wasn't much better six months later. Now it has developed into a decent sim. COD will also improve over the next year. ROF could very well develop a WW2 aircombat sim, but I don't see that happening for many years, and in that time COD should have the game engine faults sorted and their next theater released. I'd like to see COD have some competition, but don't see any competitors in the near future.

RoF was no where near the unfinished garbage CoD was on release and it recieved WAYYYY better reviews. Give me a break, this sim is rewriting the FM, sound, and graphics from scratch after its delayed US release. Massive Fail!

CoD is going to take much longer to fix than RoF which is why CoD is likely doomed. This is the worst sim I have ever bought in terms of broken software and I have most of them. Don't get me wrong, I want this fixed, but there is just too much wrong with it to be fixed in the foreseeable future.

As for compettion. What AgressorBLUE states is true, if CoD had competition no one would bother with this unfinished software In the mean time Keeners will beat the dead horse and the rest of us will shelve it for the time if and when it is ever something resembling a finished software. Right now it is broken unfinished software.

Last edited by Icarus1; 10/21/11 01:01 PM.
#3415148 - 10/21/11 01:52 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Icarus stop lecturing us please smile

#3415157 - 10/21/11 02:07 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: robtek]  
arjisme Offline
arjisme  Offline

Plano, TX
Originally Posted By: robtek
I really would hate a wwii sim with the limitations of RoF.

Imo RoF is only good for dogfights with really limited numbers.

The FM is ok and the eye-candy also but for game depht, there is old IL2 better.

Also the business model works with a limited number of planes, for wwii one would have to spend thousands of bucks to get the planes.

How many aircraft would be a reasonable number to have in a dogfight? Does COD support the number of aircraft in a dogfight that you require when flown at its max graphic settings, over cities/water/whatever? I can say that RoF does support a more than adequate number of aircraft in a dogfight, pretty much anywhere on the map. If there are any slowdowns, as with all games, it is always an option to turn down a few graphic settings to boost performance.

How's the FM in CoD? Also, how's the game depth in CoD?

Also, how many planes come with CoD? Let's just say 20. If you applied 777's business model to it, you would get CoD for free, with two of the planes bundled. That leaves 18 you would have to buy (if you really did want to fly all 18 of them; otherwise they are in the game as AI anyhow). With a small amount of patience, you can catch a sale and get those 18 at $2.99/each. That works out to ~$54 -- about the full retail price for a game sold the traditional way. Given the amount of time you spend and enjoyment you get out of your chosen sim, is $54 really an unreasonable investment? Especially considering it may be all you spend in an entire year?

Ah, you say, but in future iterations of CoD, there will be many, many more aircraft! Perhaps, provided the team can sustain their revenue stream long enough to produce those many additional aircraft. But, I think you are actually speaking in terms of multiple fronts here as I doubt there will be vastly more aircraft added to a BoB theater game. So, Battle of Moscow, for example, might be the next installment. You're going to pay for it too and that's another ~$50-$60. If they offered a second front for RoF, they might (or might not) charge for the expansion, but they would would still charge for additional planes introduced.

As far as I can see, it isn't very different either model you use. The advantage I see with the RoF model is you have much greater flexibility over paying for exactly what you want and no more. Never going to fly those heavy bombers? Don't have to buy them.

#3415197 - 10/21/11 03:48 PM Re: Whats the current state of this sim ? [Re: Robusti]  
Tell Offline
Tell  Offline

+1

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.