The mistake here is calling X-Fi cards an improvement over on board audio. Xonar cards from Asus however, are miles ahead of anything onboard.
Ok fellahs, I have pretty good on-board (REALTEK) Audio on the muthaboard, but I'm thinking of getting a Soundblaster Xi-Fi or whatnot.
1) I use Logitech G35 headphones via a USB port. Since I wouldn't be hooking these up directly to the Soundcards direct audio out, could I still use the soundcard? (i.e. with the on-board audio turned off in BIOS, but via the USB port).
2) Is it worth it? Does the audio improve significantly?
3) If yes to 1&2 above, what card would you recommend?
Always get the best advice here, so thanks in advance.
1) No. Your G35 has its own sound card. There is no way of improving on that.
2) Yes, if you pair it with proper equipment and covert to FLAC instead of MP3. And better cards - better sound positioning.
3) Something from Asus, albeit you would need a new headphones for that.*
*Guide to gaming headphones / headsets:http://www.overclock.net/sound-cards-com...s-headsets.html
Or you could go with S/PDIF + reciever with a good DAC => analog headphones.