Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
#3408917 - 10/12/11 08:28 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Piotr Offline
Piotr  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
I hope so. As far as I remember SMS where involved in GTR/GTR2 so they should know how to get it in proper way. After I noticed that in this product I went straight back to GTR2, GTR Evo and rFactor. All there you have crisp correlation of your steering wheel input and front wheels reacting. No lag. Like you should have it with mechanical connection. Here in C.A.R.S. is steer-by-wire feel with inprinted lag.

All other things are there: immersion, force feedback, graphics and already exciting vehicles choice to drive.

RF2 can soon feel sorry for being so lazy with launch, as this one can be real competition for thin wallets of sim racers.

rF2 nick: Gemm
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3409103 - 10/13/11 01:23 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Aero Offline
Aero  Offline

Milwaukee, USA
I managed to get the steering lag to the point of being unnoticeable.

You need to disable vsync and make sure you're getting a really good framerate (the higher the better, beyond just smooth looking). So far as I'm concerned, though, this is not an acceptable solution. It needs work. No matter how good a sim's physics may be, input lag makes the experience worthless.

Clearly nobody is really happy with the input/FFB due to all the threads with myriads of different configurations to make it work right. I suspect that people are really trying to find control settings that make the car drivable despite the lag, even if they don't necessarily recognize it as such. Once I had the lag minimized, I went back to the default G27 profile, and with a couple tweaks to get the overall level of force I like, this was actually better than all the combinations of profiler and in game settings I tried.

This should be their absolute highest priority, though I suspect it probably isn't so easy a problem to solve.

#3409214 - 10/13/11 06:54 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
What I'm wondering - and I can't read it from their website - is if they are planning to have proper race weekends for proper car groups. I.e. the ability to run practice, qualifying, race against realistically similar cars. Right now they are talking about a "uber-career-mode" where you go from Carts to Formula1 and everything in between - but some people will want to jump right into the class they want to drive, set a weekend or championship there and get going.

Only quick race and career isn't covering the bases.

#3409236 - 10/13/11 08:31 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
stewartforgie Offline
stewartforgie  Offline

Grangemouth. Scotland.
I wonder, can anyone tell me if the head of SMS is the same Ian Bell that was co-author of Elite?

Cheers,
Stewart.
#3409246 - 10/13/11 09:06 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Originally Posted By: stewartforgie
I wonder, can anyone tell me if the head of SMS is the same Ian Bell that was co-author of Elite?

Sadly not frown Having a career that went from space trading to motor racing would have been cool!

Originally Posted By: RSColonel_131st
What I'm wondering - and I can't read it from their website - is if they are planning to have proper race weekends for proper car groups. I.e. the ability to run practice, qualifying, race against realistically similar cars.

I'm sure this will happen. They'd be lynched otherwise.

Roses are #FF0000 , Violets are #0000FF
#3409281 - 10/13/11 11:17 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Well, they never implemented Single Race Weekend or championship into the Shift titles. No clue how much of that EA caused.

Also, they should do away with the unlocking (make it optional at installation). I want Race Weekends and championships (a simple series of race weekends) against named opponents. Not the unlocking-work-your-way-up stuff.

#3409434 - 10/13/11 04:41 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
I think you should really differentiate what they want to do with CARS from a paid job for EA called NFS Shift... I think they really want to achieve the Car/race simmer's dream with this simulator... yes, CARS use an evolution of the Shift graphic engine but the goals and the motivation are completely opposite from to be leashed by a powerful producer... the idea is brilliant actually: why not to do a dream car simulation with the open help of the sim racer community mixing two world in one? With CARS, SMS is beginning to give serious nightmares to ISI, SIMBIM and Iracing... all much more secretive and closed in their process to produce a good simulator.

Spring chicken to sh!tehawk in one easy lesson

PSN/XBL: Guynemer27
WarThunder/STEAM: Guynemer27
EA/Origin: Dude27
Project Cars: Dude27
#3409940 - 10/14/11 04:19 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: Darren_Blythe]  
Papa_K Offline
Papa_K  Offline

Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the previews all - I took the plunge. It looks and sounds great. I'm getting some input lag (G27), but I'll work on it.

I do notice what Darren said about the physics. Even if grip levels may be a bit high, I really don't miss the "Auto-Spin" included with some rF mods.
We'll see where this goes, but my first impression of C.A.R.S. has me wanting more.
cheers

#3409987 - 10/14/11 06:38 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
I got my Team Member Toolkit as well....gonna wait until the Friday release with AI is posted before installing, was getting like 86k for a download speed, so I figured I'd wait for the latest version.

Seen a screen of that 70's Lotus...damn, that thing looks good! Hope they offer a skinning feature.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
#3410015 - 10/14/11 08:47 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Originally Posted By: Papa_K
We'll see where this goes, but my first impression of C.A.R.S. has me wanting more.

I have to admit that i can't put this down at the moment. The more i play it, the more it's obvious there's some heavy duty physics at work here. When you read on the forum that they are even simulating things like gear and throttle linkages you can't help but be impressed. After running C.A.R.S for a couple of days I went back to rFactor last night and i hate to say that it felt basic in comparison. I just hope that rF2 has got the firepower to compete because the competition is looking hot. duel

Ian Bell has already commented that the high downforce levels are due to the default setup which is maxed out. Today's build should introduce some basic AI with the ability to do a single class race, another couple of tracks, graphic fixes, basic replay function and removal of all the legacy gamepad code which the devs are hoping could help with the lag.

Originally Posted By: SteveGee
Seen a screen of that 70's Lotus...damn, that thing looks good!

That 77 Lotus is my favourite car in the sim, it'll rattle your teeth and suck out your eyeballs smile

Here's a plan of the upcoming test track - hopefully in today's build. biggrin

#3410086 - 10/14/11 12:33 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Darren, do you know if the weekly builds are complete installs or updates to the existing build?

For some reason, my download speed absolutely sucks to their server and I didn't want to D/L the 71 build if the next one's gonna be a complete replacement.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

#3410090 - 10/14/11 12:38 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Today's build will be a complete install. However they are hoping to include an update client to make things incremental from now on.

ETA is 3-4pm UK time.

#3410111 - 10/14/11 01:21 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Piotr Offline
Piotr  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
What do we do with new builds? We delete previous installations and install new build? Or is it an update file?

rF2 nick: Gemm
#3410112 - 10/14/11 01:25 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
For this one it's uninstall/reinstall. Subsequent builds should be upgradable using an in-game client i think.

#3410159 - 10/14/11 03:57 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
build 0.73 is up. dl'ing now smile

#3410328 - 10/14/11 07:45 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Coutie Offline
Coutie  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I still have a bit of a delay with the new version. Not a real issue on the "Audi's" but the open wheel cars really are tough to drive.

#3410374 - 10/14/11 08:57 PM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: Coutie]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Originally Posted By: Coutie
I still have a bit of a delay with the new version. Not a real issue on the "Audi's" but the open wheel cars really are tough to drive.

I didn't really have the problem in the first place but the new version has tightened things even further for me. For many people it's FPS related. Try turning some settings down to see if it helps. You can drop textures to medium and shadows and reflections to low with barely any difference in visual quality. AA seems to have a big hit and disabling vsync helps too.

#3410474 - 10/15/11 12:44 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: Coutie]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: Coutie

Same with me....in the '86 turbo, it's almost undriveable for me. There's so much input lag that I'm having to anticipate where to turn in almost a full second before I actually have to. I've tried lowering details and it's made no difference at all.

Looks good, though....I can always fire it up and look at the pretty scenery... biggrin

Mark Twain

#3410521 - 10/15/11 02:22 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Coutie Offline
Coutie  Offline

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's strange, steering seems to be okay, gas seems to have a bit of a delay, gear shifts have a delay, brakes has a bit of a delay, but some buttons on the wheel have no delay. I have my top right button on the G27 as select hud(or whatever it is) and it has no delay, but the bottom left button is look behind, and it has a .5 second lag on it. The only games I have ever had input lag in are NFS:Shift and F1 2010.

#3410539 - 10/15/11 02:55 AM Re: C.A.R.S Pre-alpha released to Team members [Re: F19_CoNa]  
Papa_K Offline
Papa_K  Offline

Anchorage, AK
Practically the same as Coutie here. The steering seems better now, but there's a gear shift delay. Throttle seems fine. Brakes, I didn't notice a delay, but I'll check it later.

The odd thing was that it didn't immediately recognize the G27 properly. It listed G7 with separate pedals, but showed gamepad mappings. Cycling around it came back to normal, but it wasn't pre-mapped. Clutch is unassigned, and I can't change it. I'll mess with it some more when I get a chance.

Is there a way to get rid of (or lessen) the fore/aft viewpoint movement when you hit brakes/throttle? I suppose I could get used to it, but I'd rather tighten the belts and do some neck exercises.

I can't resist... Take a look at the screenshots in the first post at this link, by redi:
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265731

I've seen it elsewhere, but what exactly is "World Movement" in the settings? Can I alter global rotation, or perhaps time as we know it?

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.