Forums » SimHQ Community » Article Feedback » Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3409442 - 10/13/11 12:52 PM Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0
citizen guod Offline
Lifer

Chris "BeachAV8R" Frishmuth reviews Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0

Included in the review is a 17 minute HD video showing the many new features of BMS 4.32

http://www.simhq.com/_air14/air_507a.html

#3409495 - 10/13/11 02:10 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!

Loc: Randolph, NJ
I just don't get it. On my system the graphics for BMS 4.32 are far inferior to Falcon AF and nowhere near the gorgeous detail in BeachAV8R's screenshots.

I checked graphics options and video card profiles and all should be fine. Granted my system (below in sig) is now probably a LOW END system, but the GTX260 should be more than capable enough. Ground and airbase graphics are muddy and indistinct. Outside views of the Viper similarly uninspiring...all compared to the stock Falcon AF.

SOMETHING is definitely wrong, but I'm darned if I can figure out WHAT. I had exactly the same experience with Free Falcon 4 and 5 where others were blown away by the graphics engine, I was underwhelmed.
EVGA GTX 560Ti
CoolerMaster CAC-T05-UW CENTURION 5
ANTEC TP3-550 550W
KDS K-22MDWB 22" LCD 1680 X 1050
Soundblaster X-FI XtremeGamer
WinXP SP3
Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3409498 - 10/13/11 02:12 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Great review, Beach! The visuals are simply great! I'm looking forward to your MP review!

#3409536 - 10/13/11 02:58 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: Recluse]
HomeFries Online   cool
Air Dominance Project

Originally Posted By: Recluse
I just don't get it. On my system the graphics for BMS 4.32 are far inferior to Falcon AF and nowhere near the gorgeous detail in BeachAV8R's screenshots.

I checked graphics options and video card profiles and all should be fine. Granted my system (below in sig) is now probably a LOW END system, but the GTX260 should be more than capable enough. Ground and airbase graphics are muddy and indistinct. Outside views of the Viper similarly uninspiring...all compared to the stock Falcon AF.

SOMETHING is definitely wrong, but I'm darned if I can figure out WHAT. I had exactly the same experience with Free Falcon 4 and 5 where others were blown away by the graphics engine, I was underwhelmed.

I'm not sure what to say, Recluse. Even with all of the heavy framerate items (post processing, particle effects, etc.) turned off in F4Patch should still give you much better visuals than AF, and the 3D cockpit especially should look worlds better being in high resolution and fully functional. With your hardware I would think you would actually get better frames with BMS, considering the DX9.

The average Naval Aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3409601 - 10/13/11 03:53 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
WileECoyote Online   content

Loc: Argentina
Very nice review, although, I don't know if it was present in previous incarnations, but I would have mentioned the differential breaking and the new taxing physics. To my that's THE most significant feature EVER! biggrin

#3409645 - 10/13/11 04:24 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
C3PO_1 Offline

Nice review and sim looks a lot of fun! Some great graphics improvements prove there's life in the old dog yet. Interested to see how the MP performs as this was one of several areas Lead Pursuit invested in heavily for Allied Force. We worked very hard to improve both MP stability with quite a few clients connected and with things like positional updates. I think its strength was demonstrated by the MP campaign servers which ran for days with dozens of clients hopping in and out.

Regardless, this looks like a visual treat and lots of work I can see has gone into the avionics too. That cockpit is gorgeous and looks amazing -- that ICP panel just jumps out at you like real 3D too.

Great job all round.

#3409656 - 10/13/11 04:44 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
Peally Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
They finally added clickable 3D cockpits??? Dammit, another sim I have to master biggrin.

#3409660 - 10/13/11 04:49 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
nibbio Offline

Loc: Italy
The video is a fantastic piece of work!
Ciao,
nibbio

#3409670 - 10/13/11 04:57 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: citizen guod]
BeachAV8R Online   cool
Lifer

Loc: KCLT
Hey Recluse..

Well, I don't know if it matters..but I have an NVidia card (I think you do too)...and these are my graphics settings in game:

Also, per a recommendation in the forums, I added an exception to my NVidia Control panel setting to make the Falcon BMS.exe anisotropic and anti-aliasing APPLICATION CONTROLLED..

I hope that helps.. There should be a big difference over Allied Force.

BeachAV8R

#3409673 - 10/13/11 05:02 PM Re: Review: Benchmark Sims 4.32 for Falcon 4.0 [Re: WileECoyote]
BeachAV8R Online   cool
Lifer

Loc: KCLT
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
Very nice review, although, I don't know if it was present in previous incarnations, but I would have mentioned the differential breaking and the new taxing physics. To my that's THE most significant feature EVER! biggrin

Indeed. I tried to put some video of the ground handling in my video.. The text of the article I tried to pare down a bit..but you bring up a good point!

C3PO - Thanks to you and your crew for providing a great, stable, and fun retail sim for us all to enjoy. I hope that the article is clear that Falcon is a continuous evolution and if it weren't for the work of those who came before we probably wouldn't be anywhere near where we are now.

I'm sure the other versions of Falcon (OpenFalcon, FreeFalcon) are also making great strides as they seek to improve on each others work..

Thanks for the comments guys.

BeachAV8R

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Any Longmire fans?
by Raw Kryptonite
Today at 01:57 PM
A case for English labels in games/sims...
by Dart
Today at 01:33 PM
If Pac Man for the Atari 2600 Was Released Today
by MarkG
Today at 09:56 AM
SR-71 cockpit tour...
by Magnum
Today at 09:15 AM
Ever Been To The End of Internet - The Last Page Where There Is No Beyond ?
by Haggart
Yesterday at 11:50 PM
A blast from the past!
by Li'lJugs
Yesterday at 06:55 PM
LIght Plane Hits Bungalow.
by RedToo
Yesterday at 01:54 PM
What's the best game mod you ever used
by marko1231123
Yesterday at 01:19 PM
Ever use pop rivets?
by Raw Kryptonite
Yesterday at 09:55 AM
German climate protection campaign
by Para_Bellum
Yesterday at 07:01 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.