Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3401429 - 10/01/11 03:15 PM My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
My Warthog was delivered yesterday. Serial number 09747. I've had about three hours of actual stick time with it so far, and I am extremely impressed. The build quality just feels amazing. In DCS A-10C it just feels natural, and even in a space combat sim like Black Prophecy it feels good. Real good. What I was really worried about and turned out to be a non-issue is the throttle idle detent. It turns out that when you pull the throttle all the way to idle, Windows recognizes that as 0. When you pull up and slide the throttle back over the detent to "OFF", it activates what is recognized as a button on each throttle. This is super awesome if you don't primarily fly DCS, like myself. The stick just feels beefy and manly, and holding it I think "This must be what it feels like to be Ron Jeremy". There is nothing that compares to the feel of that cold metal in my fist.

I haven't yet finished my center stick mount mod for my Akers-Barnes, and I haven't finalized the placement of the throttle, and as such neither of them are bolted down. Even with them being "free-floating" their weight is more than enough to keep them grounded and firmly in contact with my cockpit, even in furious dogfights. The only time I've had either one move on me is when I'm just fiddling around with the throttle out of game and moving it from "Off" to "Idle", and even then its a very small movement. I've also found that by using a bit of force you can move the throttle from off to idle without lifting it over the detent, but not the other way around. The locking mechanism for the two throttles is much better than on the G940. With the Logitech I was able to move one throttle around a bit even when they were locked together. With the Warthog they both move simultaneously when locked together.

Every switch on the throttle and button on the stick have a real good feel to them, like what I would expect from an actual military setup. There are a few issues, however. The left and right movement on the TMS HAT on the stick is a little hard to achieve without gloves. My thumb wants to slide along the horizontal grooves and pass right over the vertical grooves on either side of the HAT. The slew control on the throttle seems a bit too sensitive for my tastes, but I haven't had much time using it yet. The coolie hat on the throttle is a bit too resistant, and it actually hurts my index finger when I have reason to use it. Also, the push function on the MIC switch is rather difficult to activate, requiring the "just right" angle of push.

Even with those small issues, I have to say that this is an amazing HOTAS setup.

The final question though, the bottom line, is:
"Is the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS worth $500?"

In my humble opinion, the answer is a definite "YES".

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Ben Franklin

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3401597 - 10/01/11 08:53 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Welcome to the club!

- Ice
#3401701 - 10/02/11 01:54 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: - Ice]  
TheSilkMan Offline
TheSilkMan  Offline

I'm gonna have to get that A-10C and that stick. Did you buy them in the US if so where?

#3401738 - 10/02/11 04:14 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Renic -
Yep.

And they get better with use.

WC

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3401752 - 10/02/11 04:56 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
TheSilkMan: I got the Warthog from Amazon.com. $445 with free shipping, but tax brought it up to around $475. DCS A-10C I got from Steam while it was on sale for $40 about two weeks ago. I think the sale just ended though, but it appears that it's still for sale on DCS's site.

WC: Yeah, I can tell already. Flew another couple hours with it this morning and I am just digging this stick. Still need to tweak my bindings in my space sims though, the way I have the thruster control set up isn't perfect yet.

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Ben Franklin

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog
#3402682 - 10/03/11 07:09 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

I also thought the slew was pretty jumpy, you get used to it and control it a bit better.

I wish my friction control on the throttle was more stable in it's output. I started to use it for zoom but because it kept changing its value slightly when not being used that meant my screen would subtly jump in and out a little which was no good. It's now my brakes.

You will like it center mounted and it's really easy to do with the hog's small base.

#3402750 - 10/03/11 08:23 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The friction control has to be "reset" every now and again, especially if you left it on one position and then restart the sim. Wiggling it back to "neutral" was part of my startup routine, and everytime I felt the view was a bit off, I would wiggle that slider to see if it was the cause.

Why set it as brakes though? Don't you have it on your pedals?

- Ice
#3402799 - 10/03/11 09:20 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: metalnwood]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Originally Posted By: metalnwood
I also thought the slew was pretty jumpy, you get used to it and control it a bit better.

Make sure to calibrate the slew control on the throttle - in Windows. My Thrustmaster MFCDs did not work right when I got them, but after I calibrated the slew / throttle then everything worked right.

And instead of the default slew keyboard commands , . / ; I changed them to Left Arrow, Down Arrow, Right Arrow and Up Arrow - much easier IMHO.

WC

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3403056 - 10/04/11 10:00 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: - Ice]  
metalnwood Offline
metalnwood  Offline

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Why set it as brakes though? Don't you have it on your pedals?

That is where they used to be but after many years a pot has given up. I would just fix it but I have been thinking of a replacement.

#3403065 - 10/04/11 10:34 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

IIRC you can set BOTH brakes on one toe brake... so if the left pot has given up, set it so that the right toe brake will control both brakes. Never had the need for differential braking before so....

- Ice
#3403077 - 10/04/11 10:52 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
So you guys think the Warthog is worth the money? I am thinking about getting one this year. My Cougar is still working but i want something new and something which works out of the box with Win7. Is there anything new about the "center thing" of the Warthog? The feel around the 0 zone is supposed to be a little weird.

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
#3403089 - 10/04/11 11:12 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The WH is certainly worth the money. Having said that, I bought it when it was on sale £100 off, and I play mostly DCS A10. So very biased there. The unit acted up for a while, sent a message to TM and got my stick base replaced; a minor hassle.

It is said to be "clunky" around the middle, but I play with a joystick extender so never really notice it. Very nice, very precise setup, I love doing guns attacks with it on DCS A10.

- Ice
#3403211 - 10/04/11 03:25 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
RuhRoh Offline
RuhRoh  Offline

Central Coast, CA
I'll mention that there seem to be some quality/service concerns with Guillemot. I got mine around Christmas last year and the trim hat developed a problem (it defualts to show pointing right now, so moving it up shows 'up & right', down is 'down & right' and left is 'center,' although left up and left down don't give any response. The button itself physically still looks/feels fine). I sent in a customer service request more than a week ago and have gotten nothing back but the original automated acknowledgment with a service request number.

Far cry from the original Thrustmaster, I remember having one of their original sticks in the 90s, after YEARS of use the springs broke, I contacted the company and they immediately sent out new springs, no questions asked.

Anyone have experience with what happened to me and have any suggestions? I've tried the obvious (unplug/replug, uninstall/update the drivers, etc.) nothing helped, and tried on two computers, issue is there on both.

Have seen others reporting slow/nonexistant replies from Guillemot support, so thought I'd share. I'll update this post if I ever do hear back . . . I'm going to send them a reminder now.

#3403363 - 10/04/11 06:29 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Do send them another email. Probably reply by asking you to do the usual unplug/replug/flash/update routine, so perhaps you could try that now and tell them no go. My first email to them pretty much said these things and I sent a link for them to download a video/screen capture of my Device Analyzer which clearly showed the fault (multiple buttons being activated constantly), so their next email was to confirm that the unit was faulty and asked me to send the stick base back to them.

Took about 3 weeks from when I sent my stick base to them for me to get my new base; a minor inconvenience in the expected lifetime of this product.

- Ice
#3403789 - 10/05/11 05:27 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
So the first units seem to have some problems with the built in board heh? Here in Germany i can get the Warthog for 320 €. Only a bit more expensive than the Cougar back in its days.
The "clunky" feel around the center is caused by the large spring inside right? I have read that some guys were looking for a solution for that, like removing a small part of it to "soften" the pressure it puts onto the handle.
Btw, is there a fan based forum for the Warthog like CCW for the COugar back in it's days?

ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
TrackIR4 Pro
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
#3403872 - 10/05/11 09:12 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
Yeah,

I am on the fence too, but I find the reports of failing sticks a little disturbing for a product in this price-range.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3404391 - 10/05/11 09:55 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Well I'd say that the failing units represent a small number out in consumers hands. As far as I can tell/have read TM is very good about replacing anything that is defective.

I've been very happy with my unit so far. Works/feels/looks great. As I'm building an A10 pit I'm little biased too but I likely would have bought this stick regardless. If the price is a stretch for you I'd be a little wary of buying but that's a good rule of thumb when buying anything expensive.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3404500 - 10/06/11 12:49 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

John, the clunk is present, yes, but I'm playing with a joystick extender which means my "travel" is now further/wider, so the clunk is dampened. Barely notice it now, even when going for guns attacks where accuracy is a must. There was a "mod" that took out part of the spring to soften it, but I prefer not to tamper with the insides of the stick if possible, especially doing anything permanent.

kilosierra, fair enough, you'd expect a product like this to work straightaway. It was a hassle to return the base and I was "out of commission" for a time, but looking back, it is nothing compared to how much I've enjoyed having the HOTAS. I prefer spending more money and ending up playing more than spending less and ending up having to fix/tinker with the unit every so often.

- Ice
#3404597 - 10/06/11 05:05 AM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
Thanks Ice! Btw, what about a dedicated forum for the Warthog like Cougar World? Is there anything? I#d like to get some infos about this mod and other tweaks, which might be already around. There were a ton for the Cougar in its days.

ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
TrackIR4 Pro
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
#3404753 - 10/06/11 01:50 PM Re: My Thrustmaster Warthog initial impressions [Re: Renic]  
Rusty_M Offline
Rusty_M  Offline

Edinburgh UK
I got this about a week ago and think it's great! I admit I'm a little worried about the bricking throttle issue I've read about. The only issue I have so far is sometimes the china hat doesn't spring back automatically from forward. As long as I keep my finger on it and pull it back, it's a non-issue really.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine!

Asus Sabertooth X58, i7 950 @4GHz, 6GB corsair Dominator 1600 MHz, EVGA GTX 570, Samsung 1Tb, 60 Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.