Forums » Technology » Flight Sim Pit Builders » It's HOTAS Upgrade Time Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3380389 - 09/01/11 11:47 PM It's HOTAS Upgrade Time
Renic Offline

Loc: Southern California
Ok, so I've been using Saitek's X52 HOTAS and ProFlight Rudder Pedals, and it's about time to upgrade.

At the moment, it's between Saitek's X65-F and Logitech 's G940. Unfortunately, Thrustmaster's Warthog is just way out of my price range right now, and will continue to be for quite some time.

Also, I'm not a fan of CH Products.

So I have two questions:

One, am I forgetting any HOTAS setups to consider?

Two, given the two options above, which would YOU choose?

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog

#3380525 - 09/02/11 06:59 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
Derk Offline

Loc: Hengelo, the Netherlands
Well, that would depend on what you want to get out of it. X65 is a force sensing (means the stick doesn't move but senses you pushing pulling it in a certain direction and translates that to x/y output.) While the G940 is a regular stick that has Force Feedback and a set of rudder pedals. Also, G940 can have some hardware issues (spiking in throttle, i think rudder too.) but if you don't mind a bit of soldering (and to void warranty) that can be remedied. (look at the controller forums)

Anyway, read this and decide for yourself:
Clicky

crap...

#3380599 - 09/02/11 09:08 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
CyBerkut Offline
Former Quantum Mechanic

Loc: North of St. Petersburg
Originally Posted By: Renic
Ok, so I've been using Saitek's X52 HOTAS and ProFlight Rudder Pedals, and it's about time to upgrade.

At the moment, it's between Saitek's X65-F and Logitech 's G940. Unfortunately, Thrustmaster's Warthog is just way out of my price range right now, and will continue to be for quite some time.

Also, I'm not a fan of CH Products.

So I have two questions:

One, am I forgetting any HOTAS setups to consider?

Two, given the two options above, which would YOU choose?

Well, you might want to include the Saitek X-52 Pro version in your considerations, unless you are looking to make a bigger change partly for variety's sake. It would still be an upgrade, but it would not get you a split throttle controller. However, it would be pretty easy to convert your existing profiles over.

As for what to choose... There are so many variables to consider that you should factor into the selection. What things matter most to you?

Appearance? Reliability? The stick giving you vibration / bump cues? The stick being able to physically hold a Force trim position (DCS:BlackShark)? The stick not needing deflection space (Falcon side stick mounting)? Rudders included (seen as part of a single controller for older games/sims)? Split throttles?

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson

#3380708 - 09/02/11 11:44 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: CyBerkut]
Renic Offline

Reliability is a must. Appearances don't matter to me as much as the performance. I would like a good looking setup, but if it handles like crap, then its worthless to me. The X52's stick is way too wobbly and loose, even with the minor mod that helps this out somewhat. Force Feedback seems like it might be a nice addition, but is in no way necessary for me. Included rudders would be nice for some of the games I play, but again, not necessary. And I really would like a split throttle.

Thanks for the link, Derk, reading through it now!

Renic's Simpit blog

#3380740 - 09/02/11 12:26 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
531 Ghost Online   icon_butt
USMC
Veteran

Loc: Elizabeth City NC
Reliability is a must.

If reliability really is a must, you've eliminated the most reliable from your list. wink

For your CH Products programming needs, come on over to: The CH-Hangar
Current System Specs

#3380790 - 09/02/11 01:16 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
Derk Offline

Loc: Hengelo, the Netherlands
You're welcome Renic. I am considering an upgrade myself (also from x52). Twin throttles is a must. The G940 really appeals to me considering i fly helicopters almost exclusively. I like the idea of FFB and not having a spring cetered mechanism. I am worried about the quality though and having pots instead of sensors. I just can't afford to buy one and end up not using it due to hardware issues. You see, i'm not that confident with soldering myself. wink
If i can find one cheap i might go for it. Else it's just saving up and get a Warthog somewhere down the line. IMO that's the only real upgrade alternative since i'm not a big fan of the x65.

crap...

#3380815 - 09/02/11 01:36 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: 531 Ghost]
Renic Offline

Yeah, I know. I forgot to say that excessive price trumps reliability. XD I drool over the Warthog every single day. But I can't afford $450 for a stick. That's like 2/3rds of my bi-monthly paycheck. Maybe if I could get one on an installment plan, lol!

I spent a few hours going over reviews and comparisons of the X52 and X52 Pro, and decided that I'm not going to spend $150 to get what could be called an incremental upgrade, at best. I do like the ergonomics of the X52's setup, but I want something completely different.

Also, I'd definitely consider a Thrustmaster Cougar, but I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere!

After reading plenty of reviews, I'm not sold on the X65's force sensing technology.

It looks like I'm going to pick up the G940 after all.

Renic's Simpit blog

#3380858 - 09/02/11 02:40 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
CyBerkut Offline
Former Quantum Mechanic

Loc: North of St. Petersburg
Yeah, I know. I forgot to say that excessive price trumps reliability. XD I drool over the Warthog every single day. But I can't afford $450 for a stick. That's like 2/3rds of my bi-monthly paycheck. Maybe if I could get one on an installment plan, lol!

531Ghost's reference to reliability was about CH Products' offerings being off of your list. wink

Edited by CyBerkut (09/02/11 02:40 PM)

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson

#3380889 - 09/02/11 03:26 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: CyBerkut]
531 Ghost Online   icon_butt
USMC
Veteran

Loc: Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut

531Ghost's reference to reliability was about CH Products' offerings being off of your list. wink

wink

For your CH Products programming needs, come on over to: The CH-Hangar
Current System Specs

#3381422 - 09/03/11 11:21 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: CyBerkut]
Renic Offline

Originally Posted By: CyBerkut

Heh, yeah, I realized that after the fact, considering his signature. smile

Just never been a fan of their stuff, dunno why. Never had any real experience with them, so maybe if I tried I would like them.

But I bit the bullet last night and ordered a G940. $260 with free shipping from Amazon. Gonna torture test it when it arrives, and if it's not up to snuff, it's getting sent back. Hopefully my cockpit will be in at least flyable condition when it gets here, lol!

Renic's Simpit blog

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Ilya Muromets Early Access starts today!
by BlueHeron
35 minutes 35 seconds ago
Train Fever
by jdbecks
Today at 01:47 PM
Touch Pilot One / iControl (DCS-VC)
by phd_doc
Today at 01:46 PM
UH-60 Black Hawk for XP10
by SteveHarris
Today at 01:22 PM
27,000 new pilots a year - Boeing
by jdbecks
Today at 01:21 PM
ILya Muromets is now entering the Early Access stage
by ArgonV
Today at 01:08 PM
Ilya Muromets Sceenies!
by IIN8II
Today at 01:06 PM
I need a new joystick!
by CybrSlydr
Today at 12:50 PM
X1 games, I fail to understand... F1 2014 trailer too...
by Magnum
Today at 12:45 PM
Is it just me?
by DetCord
Today at 12:12 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.