Forums » Technology » Flight Sim Pit Builders » It's HOTAS Upgrade Time Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3392273 - 09/17/11 08:37 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Chappy]
aRareKindOfMonster Offline

Erm... do you still the parts?

#3392301 - 09/17/11 09:06 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: aRareKindOfMonster]
Renic Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: aRareKindOfMonster
Erm... do you still the parts?

No, I don't still the parts. I the parts back to Amazon. Amazon the parts Friday morning and my will be complete within 10 days. wink

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog

#3392305 - 09/17/11 09:14 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
aRareKindOfMonster Offline

Smart a$$!! biggrin

Did Amazon accept the x65 out of warranty? That's generous of them.

#3392371 - 09/18/11 12:08 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: aRareKindOfMonster]
Renic Offline

Hahaha, yeah, thats me!

It wasn't an X65f that I sent back, it was the Logitech G940. I got it, had it for a little over 24 hours, packed it up and sent it right back on Monday. They got it on yesterday, Friday, and then processed my return. The refund should be in my account in 10 days or less. When it does, it's Warthog time! Well, probably. If I can get over the gut wrenching feeling of spending $450.

I've started playing DCS A-10C, and I've always loved the Warthog. Probably one of my favorite aircraft. Getting to "sit" in it makes me want the feeling of the "real" controls.

EDIT: And now I realize you were replying to Chappy, not my previous post. That's what I get for hopping on the forums still groggy from just waking up.

Edited by Renic (09/18/11 12:10 AM)

Renic's Simpit blog

#3392412 - 09/18/11 02:19 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
AggressorBLUE Offline

Loc: Jerz
Originally Posted By: Renic
Hahaha, yeah, thats me!

It wasn't an X65f that I sent back, it was the Logitech G940. I got it, had it for a little over 24 hours, packed it up and sent it right back on Monday. They got it on yesterday, Friday, and then processed my return. The refund should be in my account in 10 days or less. When it does, it's Warthog time! Well, probably. If I can get over the gut wrenching feeling of spending $450.

I've started playing DCS A-10C, and I've always loved the Warthog. Probably one of my favorite aircraft. Getting to "sit" in it makes me want the feeling of the "real" controls.

EDIT: And now I realize you were replying to Chappy, not my previous post. That's what I get for hopping on the forums still groggy from just waking up.

remember, your not spending $450....

...your spending $450 PLUS the cost of rudder pedals.

The Saitek X52 at least has twist, so your not totally SOL in the yaw dept. Still, once you've gotten used to pedals, there's really no going back.
My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ With Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked / 8 Gigs DDR3 1600 G.skills Ram / A couple SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Logitech G940 frown Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR biggrin
Simpit: ETA Q2 2014
Wheel: ETA Q4 2014

#3392510 - 09/18/11 10:14 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
Sokol1 Offline

Loc: Internet
Quote:
It shows up as three separate controllers. The stick, throttle, and pedals all register as their own devices. This is a problem in nearly every single game that I want to play. Black Prophecy, DogFighter, MinerWars...

So back to Amazon it goes. From here I'll either get a X52 Pro or a TM Warthog.

FYI - Notice that you find the same problem with Warthog + 3rd party pedal. They are show as two separate controllers for Windows/Games.

No issue with CH gear...

Sokol1

#3392583 - 09/18/11 12:52 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
NamelessPFG Offline

I still find it baffling that TM refuses to offer their own TARGET-compatible USB rudder pedals for that one reason.

The only way I know of to merge rudder pedals into the system without ripping the controller board out of, say, a T.16000-M and building rudder pedals around those would be to use a Cougar with gameport rudder pedals connected. Both Cougar and any sort of gameport pedals would be discontinued products, and if one already owns a Cougar, there's less incentive to get the Warthog.

I think someone might have figured out a way to hack TARGET to recognize third-party rudder pedals and program those, though...but he's not going to share his methods IIRC.

#3392681 - 09/18/11 04:09 PM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: AggressorBLUE]
Renic Offline

Originally Posted By: aggressorblue
remember, your not spending $450....

...your spending $450 PLUS the cost of rudder pedals.

The Saitek X52 at least has twist, so your not totally SOL in the yaw dept. Still, once you've gotten used to pedals, there's really no going back.

I've already got pedals. I have Saitek's Pro Flight Rudder Pedals. The one thing I was hoping with the G940 purchase was that I could transition my whole Saitek setup over to my spare computer so that my cousin could fly with me in the same room with rudders and all. He's an actual pilot so I know he prefers pedals to twist.

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
FYI - Notice that you find the same problem with Warthog + 3rd party pedal. They are show as two separate controllers for Windows/Games.

No issue with CH gear...

That is very true. I had forgotten about that.

I left this post open for about an hour and thought about this issue. I believe that this problem could be overcome by using PPJoy and GlovePIE, using a very similar method as to how I solved the issue of not being able to use Tactics abilities for the entire joystick using Black Prophecy community.

Basically, it goes like this:

Create a script in GlovePIE that redirects each axis of the joystick, throttle, and rudder pedals to the virtual PPJoy controller. This way all physical controllers can be seen as one controller in Windows. The problem you run into then (aside from the maximum of 8 axes) is assigning controls in the game. When assigning and you move the physical axis, the game would probably see both the real and virtual axes moving at the same time. Which one will be detected first and registered? Who knows. It would probably be a crapshoot. But to overcome this, and this is the clever bit, you need to create a second script in GlovePIE with the sole purpose of using it once to bind all the commands in-game. In this second script, you would assign each virtual PPJoy axis to something that is not an axis, like a key on your keyboard. Then you go in-game, assign the proper axes, save the bindings, stop the second script, and run the first. Voila. Now your game sees multiple axes from multiple controllers as one virtual controller because it's only expecting input from the virtual controller, whose virtual input is being provided by physical controllers. This is what I did to solve the Tactics issue with Black Prophecy. Actually, if I remember correctly, you might be able to assign the physical axes to the virtual ones in PPJoy itself. This would save you the trouble of needing to create the first script. Not certain though, since I haven't used PPJoy in some time now, since I stopped playing Black Prophecy because the developers have stopped supporting the joystick using part of the community.

I now realize that this could have solved my biggest issue with the G940, and probably would have kept me from sending it back. No biggie though, I wasn't that impressed with it anyway.

If my carpal tunnel wasn't flaring up enough to make every single movement with my left hand send shooting pain all the way up to my bicep right now, I'd get started on this immediately.

Renic's Simpit blog

#3398415 - 09/27/11 03:12 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Renic]
Derk Offline

Loc: Hengelo, the Netherlands
Hey Renic,

Still wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts on the G940.
I decided to save me the trouble of dealing with its shortcomings and ordered a Saitek throttle quadrant instead and to hold on to my X52 for now. Together they'll provide most of my simming needs, for now.

Thanks!

crap...

#3401434 - 10/01/11 11:20 AM Re: It's HOTAS Upgrade Time [Re: Derk]
Renic Offline

No problem, Derk.

I just got my Warthog HOTAS yesterday, and I posted my initial impressions of it in a separate thread here: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3401429.html#Post3401429

Quick preview of the thread, I like it. A lot.

Renic's Simpit blog

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ with these links

Social

Recent Topics
Saitek X55 Rhino sold out
by Fitz505
04/16/14 11:19 AM
V Speeds for Su25T
by AlphaSix
04/16/14 09:42 AM
FSX Boeing 787?
by WharfRat
04/16/14 07:49 AM
Huey FM change on beta release??
by Chic
04/16/14 07:17 AM
It's Bauer.....
by Jayhawk
04/16/14 06:22 AM
Watch Dogs
by Kontakt5
04/15/14 11:02 PM
This'll Make You Feel Old...
by NavyNuke99
04/15/14 09:47 PM
Press x to start
by Security_Device_Enclosed
04/15/14 09:20 PM
Mission Editor Question
by xanth
04/15/14 08:52 PM
The Blues
by Linebacker
04/15/14 08:44 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2013, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.