Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3318952 - 06/14/11 11:06 PM New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
First, a thanks to 'mustang137' for the idea/blueprint, and also to 'metalnwood' for the extension/offset adjuster.

Although I've labelled this a centre-mount, it doesn't have to be and is flexible enough to be used on the right hand side. Also, the extension isn't required either, its totally optional for me it is really used to alleviate the Warthog sticktion and increase sensitivity. I'm currently using a 6" extension.

Anyway, on to the build....

Components used:

Small wooden baseplate (any chunk of MDF will do) - £1
110mm Pond Flange - £4.99
110mm PVC Waste pipe - £9.99 for a 2 meter length
110mm end cap - £1.99
Instant Concrete - £3.99
Carbon Fibre wrap (basically a big sticker) - £5.99 on ebay (600mm x 1000mm)

Total cost - £24 (with plenty of materials left over)

Step 1
I cut a 18cm x 18cm baseplate and wrapped it up like a parcel with the carbon fibre wrap. This wrap is quite good and that any airbubbles don't have to be 'chased' to the edges......the fibre weave is full of microscopic holes so the bubbles can be eased out without fuss.

I then found the centre and screwed the pond flange onto it.

Step 2
I then filled the base with concrete, this was really just to make the job easier in the next step. I could have left it until the main tube was in place and then filled it with concrete but wanted to create a 'seal' in the bottom of the flange.

Step 3
I then needed to double-check the height I wanted the stick to be:

This was slightly too high, I would have had to raise the ceiling or get a sim-chair on stilts biggrin

I selected a 35cm section of tube and made the cut

Step 4
I dropped the tube into the flange, with the rough edge I'd just cut pointing down into the bottom.

Step 5
The trusty carbon fibre wrap came out again and I covered the main tube

Step 6
At this point I filled the tube half way with more concrete. As I mentioned previously I had already filled the base a little bit to create the seal. This meant I could just pour the concrete into the tube and not worry about any liquid oozing out of the bottom. This concrete also makes the flange/tube join permanent by creating an additional seal inside the tube. I dropped a few stones into the top of the concrete to set for extra weight.......this concrete gives a nice low-level ballast to the tube ensuring it's not going to slide anywhere and stop the whole thing from tipping over. I'd guess-ti-mate that the base weighs about 6-7 Kg.

Step 7
Next stop is to prep the end cap. Unfortunately I could only get hold of an orange coloured one.....

Again, the trusty carbon fibre wrap went on, then I drilled 4 x holes through in a 60mm x 60mm square pattern. I used the original Warthog screws that secure the stick to the metal base and tightened up.

I then just popped the cap and stick onto the tube.

All up, this took no more than 2 hours of labour to complete but I allowed 2 x overnight sessions for the concrete to dry.

Here is is with my previously built Throttle stand......I just slide these out of the way when not in use....

Here is the joystick parked up for the night.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3318998 - 06/15/11 12:49 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
bofman Offline
bofman  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
A very professional result using easily obtainable materials. Well done Paradaz

TM Cougar HOTAS
TM Cougar MFDs
CH Products MFP
Saitek Pro rudder pedals
TrackIR IV v5
2 x Bodnar BU0836X boards
#3319326 - 06/15/11 01:42 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Nicely done! Looks great!

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3319491 - 06/15/11 05:14 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Nice work!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3319511 - 06/15/11 05:36 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline
More projects than sense!

Graham, WA
You guys are tempting me towards a Warthog. For SHAME! smile

(Where'd the extension collar come from?)

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#3319571 - 06/15/11 07:09 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: f15sim]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
th
Originally Posted By: Gene Buckle
You guys are tempting me towards a Warthog. For SHAME! smile

(Where'd the extension collar come from?)

g.

The extension is from 'metalnwood' on this very forum ...... (link to extension / offset adjuster thread)

#3319842 - 06/16/11 02:52 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Looks great thanks for this!

I've also got my extension now I just need to build the base.

Have you got a post about your throttle stand? Or could you please share the plans/dimensions you used? It looks great.

#3319845 - 06/16/11 02:54 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Also did you end up offsetting the stick by 15 degrees?

#3319967 - 06/16/11 07:24 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Taipan]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Taipan
Looks great thanks for this!

I've also got my extension now I just need to build the base.

Have you got a post about your throttle stand? Or could you please share the plans/dimensions you used? It looks great.

The throttle stand is very simple and just built like a free standing shelf. The dimensions are:

Width: 19cm
Depth: 29cm
Height: 60cm

The warthog throttle sits flush with the top of the stand and the usb connector passes through a small hole in the back. I left the original baseplate on. I will add some photos of it when I get back from work. I didnt use the offest either, I prefer it as it is.

#3322954 - 06/20/11 08:53 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I get the idea about the weight, but how does the stand "stand" up to throwing the joystick around (ie, evading SAMs)?

I still prefer having the joystick assembly connected to the throttle for extra stability. But thanks a lot for posting this design, I was looking for a good way to set up my center mount. Does the PVC assembly "flex" in any way?

Offsetting the joystick is very easy with metalnwood's extension. Just loosen the top knob, twist the stick 15 degrees, then tighten the knob again. Much more ergonomic.

- Ice
#3324560 - 06/21/11 11:05 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: - Ice]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I get the idea about the weight, but how does the stand "stand" up to throwing the joystick around (ie, evading SAMs)?

I still prefer having the joystick assembly connected to the throttle for extra stability. But thanks a lot for posting this design, I was looking for a good way to set up my center mount. Does the PVC assembly "flex" in any way?

Offsetting the joystick is very easy with metalnwood's extension. Just loosen the top knob, twist the stick 15 degrees, then tighten the knob again. Much more ergonomic.

The PVC assembly is absolutely rock solid...these are the waste pipes usually buried underground carrying turd into the sewers WinkNGrin therefore the plastic is thick and durable...there is no flex whatsoever. These aren't the flexible drainpipe style tubes you see carrying rainwater down from a roof. If you go into any B&Q, Homebase or Wicks DIY shop in the UK you will see these tubes in the plumbing section.

Because there is substantial weight at the bottom of the tube with nice low gravity, the joystick can be thrown all over the place without any worry of the unit even flinching. I'd say it's a lot more steady than the stock metal plate that ships with the Warthog.

#3375125 - 08/26/11 05:05 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Nice job Paradaz! I did something similar to mine and I love it!

Would you mind giving us the brand name of the carbon fiber wrap? I bought some off of eBay a while back and it was really bad. I am going to need some in a bit, and the stuff you are using looks vastly superior.

Thanks,
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3377271 - 08/29/11 12:11 PM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: DudleyAz]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: DudleyAz
Nice job Paradaz! I did something similar to mine and I love it!

Would you mind giving us the brand name of the carbon fiber wrap? I bought some off of eBay a while back and it was really bad. I am going to need some in a bit, and the stuff you are using looks vastly superior.

Thanks,
Dud

Sorry for the late reply, have only just revisited this thread.....the carbon fibre wrap that I bought was nothing special and if I remember correctly I just looked for the cheapest. Here is the link that I used:

Carbon Fibre wrap on ebay UK

#3515521 - 02/10/12 08:36 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
JG52Krupi Offline
JG52Krupi  Offline

This is awesome Paradaz thanks for sharing!

#3516213 - 02/11/12 03:45 AM Re: New Simple and Cheap Centre Mounted Warthog [Re: Paradaz]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Just, wow.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.