Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3379436 - 09/01/11 05:43 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
Good Night Irene...

I'm very lucky, just a mile and a half down the road are folks that won't have power before the weekend.

These tiles are sooo nice looking. (Love the P-38 too, wink wink).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3386289 - 09/09/11 12:58 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: Pobs]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Originally Posted By: Pobs
Hi Per,

the ports mod got absorbed into the new target set and map for 1.28E, but it has been stalled by the need to finish the ww1 map first. The problem with the ports mod was the timing of it, first off it was going fine then we upgraded the game and with the new 5 tiles it made no sense to use the old tm with the ports in place of several of the existing tiles, so I had to start again using the new 5 tiles, but the editors wouldn't work with the full 64 tile set at first so there was another delay while the editors caught up with the change... the Ray and I set out to redevelop the map and target set to the new 1.28E standard.... it is still there and sitting on a back-burner while I rebuild the ww1 map... If you would like the tiles etc to have a go at it yourself, please just let me know, I don't make proprietorial claims over mods, if someone wants to finish it off or whatever, just shout... I will be happy to see it in game asap and am happy to hand the files over to anyone who wants to give it a try. In fact didn't I send you the port files a while ago Per ? ...

cheers,

Pobs

Hi Pobs

OK, great news that the new target set and map mod hasn’t been cancelled! smile thumbsup

I asked about the waterline tiles for the port mod in January, but never received any. I have Peregrines files from 2005 though. wink

Cheers

vonOben

Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren. /Johann Gottfried Seume

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3386297 - 09/09/11 01:10 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Hi Shawn

Thanks for the screenshots! smile

The new terrain look excellent and rather similar to your Euro summer terrain, doesn't it? thumbsup

What are the bright areas in mountains? confused

Cheers

vonOben

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3387275 - 09/10/11 08:52 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: vonOben]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
Hello Per,

Yes this terrain used the same layout or style of building as the Euro-Seasons terrain wayyy back when.
I did test tile after test tile back in Jan/Feb and even though this way has some sides I disliked....I did find overall I liked it best. You still can find the edges of the tiles a little when looking straight on to them...but EAW repeats tiles in such a way it's impossible to use great details (too much or often).

The white spots in the mountains are snow...patchy snow. I removed them at one time but found I liked the overall look better with the little bit of snow....so went back to them tiles. Maybe I can do a set of alt mountain tiles without snow in the near future. biggrin

I just finished re-doing both river mouth tiles...Bnriver8 and Bncostrv, I think I have it this time...!

Only four Road tiles left and this set will be done!

SAG...
#3387622 - 09/11/11 03:03 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Hi Shawn

Originally Posted By: sagginb

Yes this terrain used the same layout or style of building as the Euro-Seasons terrain wayyy back when.
I did test tile after test tile back in Jan/Feb and even though this way has some sides I disliked....I did find overall I liked it best. You still can find the edges of the tiles a little when looking straight on to them...but EAW repeats tiles in such a way it's impossible to use great details (too much or often).

I've always liked your Euro terrain, so that is a good thing IMHO. wink

The white spots in the mountains are snow...patchy snow. I removed them at one time but found I liked the overall look better with the little bit of snow....so went back to them tiles. Maybe I can do a set of alt mountain tiles without snow in the near future. biggrin

There are not snow on many European mountains during summer, only a few of the highest mountains in the Alps AFAIK. You could check Google maps for reference.
Perhaps you could replace the patchy snow with some more rocks instead or as an alternative? wink

Only four Road tiles left and this set will be done!

Terrain making is a tedious work and it's a great feeling when you have had the energy to complete the whole set!

yeah

Cheers

vonOben

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3387890 - 09/11/11 10:29 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: vonOben]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
I have this mount1 tile that I removed the snow.
I didn't care for it at the time so I went back to the snow covered version...here is a pic with that tile against the other snow tiles to compare.
I would have to remove the snow the other 3 mount tiles...should I work on this or just release the snow version at this time?...add more rock textures or trees maybe? Thoughts....?

Also...did just rework both river mouth tiles...here is a peek of these new versions.

I have started a road tile tonight...nort sure if I can finish. I am getting to the point I will be happy to let others try the tiles out and get feedback.

SAG...
#3388989 - 09/13/11 11:29 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Hi Shawn

Personally I prefer the mountains without snow since that would be more accurate for ETO and I think it look very nice, but that’s only my opinion... wink
If you have the energy to include both versions please do, but that’s up to you off course.
It will be a great terrain either way! thumbsup

The new river mouth tiles look very nice! smile

Well done! thumbsup

Cheers

vonOben

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3389480 - 09/13/11 10:36 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: vonOben]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
There will be two mount-tile versions (with and without snow)!
I think I will try to add a little more rocks and tree textures and see how that looks.
Just finished another road tile...3 to go...not counting the mount tiles. wink

I also plan to do furure alt. versions of some parts of the terrain. I have alot of unused tiles. So if some of you guys have ideas of what might be a cool change or better option I want to hear and maybe work many extra tiles to be able to be used with this set.
The best (imo) is an alt version of the edge of each tile...not sure if I can get through that version(I started and liked that idea but it was taking forever)
I did this terrain in a picture frame - field block edge and painted out close to the edge (but not to the edge) so it was easy to match each tile.

The alt version was kinda the same but not every block on the edge was the same...some were half as large and used the edge of the tile for the edge of the field....so the tiles blended together much better. I really wanted to do this set in that way but man was it taking alot of time. I bet it would be easier to just work on that one thing and not have to build whole tiles. After this release I hope to get a small set of tiles together to show better what i'm saying.

Anyway...i'm sure most stopped reading a little while back...hahahhaha! help

I have to say I have missed doing terrain tiles...It was the part of EAW i've really loved the best. I wished I could shoot down planes..hahaha. I always run out of ammo or spin! blush

I must admit to do turn on unlimited ammo sometimes and just blast away... 50cal ....and bombs and rockets on unlimited are kinda fun once in a while. exitstageleft

Last edited by sagginb; 09/13/11 10:38 PM.

SAG...
#3389585 - 09/14/11 01:28 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
The best way for anyone other than Knegel to shoot down another plane in EAW is to tuck in close behind (fill up the windscreen with his tail) and shoot off his arse.

What I am really wondering is how we will be able to look for boggies with such beautiful countryside passing below. Thank you, thank you, thank you... kneeldown

#3389730 - 09/14/11 10:32 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden

There will be two mount-tile versions (with and without snow)!
I think I will try to add a little more rocks and tree textures and see how that looks.

Great! Thanks! whoohoo

After this release I hope to get a small set of tiles together to show better what i'm saying.

Yes please do, I didn't quite understand..... dizzy

I have to say I have missed doing terrain tiles...It was the part of EAW i've really loved the best. I wished I could shoot down planes..hahaha. I always run out of ammo or spin!

Ha Ha ... I know what you mean... wink

Cheers

vonOben

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3401573 - 10/01/11 07:58 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: vonOben]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
New bnmount1 tile/texture....

Well I think maybe I will change my mind and make this the default tile(s) for the mountain tiles...so maybe just this version will be included. I think I like it best!
Now on to the other 3 mount tiles...when these tiles are completed this set is almost done.

Per...sorry to confuse ya...haha! duck
I tried many ways to blend each tile to each other...like many..many..tooooo many! I think the way I settled on is going to be ok now. I was just saying maybe I could do another version at sometime that I tried.
I am happy with how they work together...well maybe not the tree/forest textures but it will be ok for now. cowboy ...I hope most of you all will think this is ok as well.

Just wanted to give another update.... mycomputer

SAG...
#3401584 - 10/01/11 08:24 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
AngleOff Offline
AngleOff  Offline

PA., USA
Yo Sag,
love it! Can't wait!
Thanks,
AO

#3401601 - 10/01/11 08:59 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
Col. Gibbon Offline
A nobody
Col. Gibbon  Offline
A nobody
Veteran

Looks dam good to me!!

Supports EAW 1.29.exe, Drop in and Play Technology. wink

1.29 download
#3401608 - 10/01/11 09:18 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
Friday Offline
Friday  Offline

Sevenoaks, England.
Wow, that looks really good!

That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
#3401754 - 10/02/11 05:06 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
It does look really nice. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#3401770 - 10/02/11 06:27 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
Pobs Offline
Hotshot
Pobs  Offline
Hotshot

North Wales, UK
Lovely work Saggin mate smile

looking forward to flying over it smile

you mentioned you had some spare tiles a few posts ago... just one suggestion ... how about a set of canal tiles ? there were a lot of important canals in Europe and they were an important trade resource especially after the transport interdiction campaign took out the railways, oh yes, a city edge with a railyard would be nice too !! ... and the ww1 map could really do with some canals so it would be good for me at the moment too !! smile

cheers,

Pobs

#3402388 - 10/03/11 11:25 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
Hi Shawn

The new mountain is perfect! winner

Much better than the old version!

Well done! thumbsup

Looking forward to the release! smile

Cheers

vonOben

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#3402767 - 10/03/11 08:39 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: vonOben]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
This is simply awesome, I can't wait to put these tiles into use.

Thank you.

#3403053 - 10/04/11 09:47 AM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: iron mike]  
Flying Tiger Offline
Flying Tiger  Offline

Geelong . Australia
yep same as everyone else Sags, first class stuff m8...

thumbsup

Flying Tiger
#3403537 - 10/04/11 09:39 PM Re: Update on 512x512 Terrain tile set! [Re: sagginb]  
sagginb Offline
sagginb  Offline

Maine, US
Thanks guys for all the nice words. biggrin

All tiles are done...all that is left is to clean-up some seams and do a little readme.
I will try to work on this on the weekend...I left some forest tiles and city tiles a little rough.
I hope to get them a bit better.

As I mentioned there will be a "lighter" color version of the terrain...here is a pic...

Pob's I will do some canal tiles if you like...would these replace river tiles? Do you have a couple pics of the canals?
I did put a little rail yard on one tiles...sounds like a great idea to add one of them near (or on) a city tile....here is a pic of what I did

Also I will do both tile sets for the old exe v1.2 as well...so if anyone does want it that way as well. copter

SAG...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.