Hop To
#3371486 - 08/21/11 02:34 AM SF2 Training Mission #11  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT

Link to mission file: HERE!

Today we'll take a look at one of the most challenging and rewarding mission-types that any air force will fly: SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses). Our mission today is to fly from our carrier to a practice area defined by a lake just east of Ramat David airfield. On three sides of the lake are various enemy anti-aircraft units that we will attempt to defeat. On the north side of the lake is an SA-2E surface-to-air missile site with a central radar and eight launchers. On the east side of the lake is an ZSU-23 gun emplacement. And finally, on the south side of the lake we've placed an SA-8 "Gecko" air defense vehicle.

The mission is set to be an armed recon, so the mission goal will be accomplished simply by passing the initial point on the run in toward the target - so no worries on mission performance. I've placed the waypoints such that you overfly the now familiar enemy cargo ship moored just off the coast while flying due east toward the target area/lake.

Our two-ship flight consists of the TA-4J Skyhawk loaded for SEAD with a pair of AGM-45B Shrikes as well as CBU-24 cluster munitions. I don't know if the Rockeye would be a better choice for this mission or not?

On the catapults we get ready to launch...

The SA-2E "Fan Song" radar vehicle. You can tell when the battery is tracking you because the antenna and individual missiles start to elevate and rotate to track your flight across the sky. As far as I can tell (read: Wiki) the SA-2E has a maximum range of approximately 43km and a minimum range of 6km. The minimum limit is a definite weakness in that if you can get inside that 6km range you can have your way with them. Obviously in an integrated defense system the "inner" ring of the SA-2E coverage would include low level IR SAMS, anti-aircraft artillery, and other weapons that would make hanging around close to an SA-2 site unpleasant.

After departing the carrier I climb to about 5,000' and order my wingman into the "High Cover" formation. Thanks to PureBlue and SixGun for the modified commands that include the "High Cover" formations. That file is available HERE!... In the High Cover formation the wingman takes up a position about 5,000' above you and slightly behind you. This is nice to keep him out of the low level threat area while you are working down lower.

As we approach the coastline our radar shows the two bright blips of the tanker and cargo ship sitting offshore.

Crossing the coast the Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) starts showing a spike from the SA-2 site ahead. The ground radar also picks up the site as a bright blip next to the lake. The ZSU and SA-8 returns are also faintly visible on the east and south sides of the lake.

A minute or so after crossing the coastline we get the first launch from the SA-2 site. The "flying telephone pole" comes off the launcher in a huge explosion of dust and our RWR tone starts oscillating and the SAM warning light illuminates on the canopy bow.

At mid to low altitudes a Split-S is a good maneuver to drive the missile down into the ground as its predictive flight path tries to plot an intercept point where it thinks you WILL be in the future.

I've seen various launch characteristics from the SA-2 site. Sometimes you can see nearly all the missiles launch over the period of a few seconds while other times they will launch singly or in a pairs. After the initial launch the booster segment falls away after several seconds.

Pulling out of the Split-S on the deck the Fan Song goes quiet as rising terrain obscures our view from the launch site.

Popping back up the Fan Song reacquires and I take the opportunity to fire of a Shrike in the general direction of the radar. I do notice that beaming the site does seem to cause the radar signal to break lock.

Oddly enough, my Shrike homes in on one of the launchers instead of the radar (?)...

My second Shrike does worse and falls just short of the site, exploding harmlessly on the terrain..

Out of missiles I drop back down to low altitude and press in toward the target close enough to get a visual ID on the Fan Song radar. I get a padlock on the Fan Song and order my wingman to engage my target.

To my wingman's credit, he presses on toward the site even in the face of multiple launches. He fires his Shrike before starting his evasive maneuvers. I've seen other AI planes just dump all of their ordnance when they are engaged, so I was happy to see my wingman hold on to his stores.

His missile bridges the short gap to the target and through my HUD I can see the explosion as the Fan Song gets taken out.

Pressing in I decide to take a quick run on the launchers with a CBU but my release is late and I end up wasting a bomb.

Keep in mind when pulling off the target to stay to the north side of the lake since the other anti-aircraft units are lurking to the south.

Coming back around I set up for a steeper CBU run and set my release for two bombs at 400 ms.

Somehow I manage to just miss with my second run and pull up and away in frustration at my inability to put the bombs on the target.

I order my wingman to engage and he has some success but he uses four bombs per pass, quickly using up his remaining ordnance.

I make another pass and finally get some hits on a couple SA-2 launchers.

Saving my remaining CBUs we make a couple strafing runs on the remaining SA-2 launchers and we kill a few more (but not all of them) before moving on to the other target areas.

Leaving the target area I can see the smoke rising from the SA-2 site in our rear view mirrors on the canopy bow...

Heading over to the east side of the lake I quickly padlock on the ZSU-23 emplacement and do a few passes near it to judge the firing rate and accuracy.

The ZSU-23 fire is easy to avoid as long as you constantly maneuver your aircraft and keep up high bearing rate changes. Flying directly to or from the ZSU is a recipe for disaster. Even with all my jinking a few rounds get uncomfortably close - zipping past the canopy.

I have to make two passes, but eventually get a CBU to land on top of the ZSU emplacement.

While I work on the ZSU my wingman, in the high cover position, wanders too close to the south end of the lake and gets a few launches against him by the SA-8 Gecko there.

Even though I have a CBU left, I order my wingman to engage and am surprised to see him get off a successful strafing run against the SA-8.

I order him to rejoin and we head back to the west and pass south of the cargo ships on the way back to our carrier.

A successful trap ends the mission.

The mission is a success - in that we managed to get some air defenses to shoot at us and we shot back (and survived!)...

It was nice to see the SA-2 site didn't get target fixation and could divide its attention between me and my wingman...

That's 11 training mission down (how many to go??)..

thumbsup

BeachAV8R

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3371665 - 08/21/11 01:53 PM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
pureblue Offline
pureblue  Offline

Istanbul/Turkey
Great AAR..!
I just flew the mission and it has was quite fun and informative.
One thing I had to change was the SA-2E, this object wasn't in my all-merged install for some reason. I just renamed it to SA-2LE and all was good.

Interestingly I was tracked by the Fansong inbound but they didn't let a missile off. I circled around and went over the lake to get my bearing for the attack. That's when they fired on us, but the missile didn't track. So I fired a Shrike and that thing veered about 30-40 degrees left to find and destroy the Radar! First time I saw this much maneuvering from a Shrike.

SA-8. Well his first launch prematurely detonated and after that he tracked us but for some reason did not fire. I made many passes with Snakeeyes and CBUs but could not get him until the last bomb!

#3485989 - 01/02/12 05:23 PM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
coreyhkh Offline
coreyhkh  Offline

Hey where do I install the mission files? and will this work in Nato fighters Mod?

#3486035 - 01/02/12 07:04 PM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
arthur666 Offline
Pitbull Tickler
arthur666  Offline
Pitbull Tickler

NC, USA
Nice one, Beach.

You inspired me to fly a dedicated Wild Weasel unit that I had put into one of my custom campaigns, Europe '79 in a F-4D(78).

I like the changes to the briefing in the latest patch. It now gives you an idea of what your targets might be, AAA or radar, so you know whether to load up on Mavericks, or take along some Shrikes. I always bring along the CBUs, but I can't seem to get alot of hits with them in the Phantom. I was actually proficient with them in the Skyhawk, but only using dive bombing techniques, which puts you in a very precarious position when dueling a ZSU-23-4. Low-level spray 'n' pray is alot safer.

System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
#3498864 - 01/20/12 03:25 AM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Hellmann Offline
Hellmann  Offline

Torontario
Thanks for all these Tuts and missions... It has made my SFers experience much better!

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson
#3499913 - 01/21/12 02:56 AM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: BeachAV8R]  
Kodiak Offline
Kodiak  Offline

Over the hills and far away.
Nice mission.
But I always wonderd where is mission number 6?
I NEVER found a downloadlink for that mission.
How comes?
Anybody has training mission number 6??

My best regards, Kodiak.

I Want To Believe
#3561592 - 04/23/12 09:14 PM Re: SF2 Training Mission #11 [Re: Kodiak]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted By: Kodiak
Nice mission.
But I always wonderd where is mission number 6?
I NEVER found a downloadlink for that mission.
How comes?
Anybody has training mission number 6??

My best regards, Kodiak.

Mission #6 available HERE.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.