Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3366652 - 08/14/11 08:40 AM Planning on a build..... Feedback?  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Hi all. I'm new here, but this place seemed as the right place to get some good feedback for my upcoming simpit-build :-)

First, some (ms-paint) drawings:

Topview. Stick and mousepad slides forward on rails, when I want to use the mouse for FPS games. It will be lock-able in both positions.
Board with pedals / rudder, also slides left / right, depending on if I want to race or fly. Also lockable, preferably with a foot-button or something like that.
Keyboard, will be on a drawer-like board. So that I can slide it under the wheel when I want to race.

Sideview. Same as above. I plan to use a normal office-chair as a seat. Maybe with some kind of lock to fasten it to the simpit.
I suppose that I can make some kind of lock, if I choose to use an office chair with arm-rests.

Maybe something like this: (sorry, its in danish)

I would appreciate any feedback on this. And also, which materials are most appropriate? PVC pipe? Wood?

Thanks, and sorry about my bad english.

-Jan

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3367633 - 08/15/11 07:40 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
Brandano Offline
Brandano  Offline

Caput Mundi (well, it used to ...
You can make a very simple "lock" for your chair using wooden panel or a a piece of carpet with a "slot" cut in it. You roll over it with two wheels and it will keep you in place enough to use the pedals.

#3367734 - 08/15/11 09:17 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Definitely look at Dudleys multi pit in this forum section for inspiration and ideas. He's done an amazing job of building a dual purpose simpit.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3368058 - 08/16/11 04:46 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks guys.
Another reason to why I want a lock for the office chair, is to avoid that it swivels when I use rudder or pedals.
Otherwise it would be fine to use the carpet mod.

I will check out dudleys multi pit when I figure out how to search the forums.

Btw I'm currently drawing my plan in 3d, and I will post it when it's ready.

Thanks for the feedback!!! :-D

#3368069 - 08/16/11 05:22 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I checked out dudleys pit, very nice indeed.
It's just that I would want to be able to use my keyboard and mouse freely, for fps's and general computer use. So I think that I will go with the side mounted stick.

#3368095 - 08/16/11 06:11 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Jangeisler, welcome to the club! I like where you are going with your drawings. I really like your concept for moving the pedals back and forth for use. Your idea is much simpler... and better.. than the ideas I tried that didn't work. I ran into a problem with the fact that my rudder pedals are so wide that I had issues because it made the pit too wide. As long as you have the space it should work perfectly.

I have become fond of using latches that are sprung load for simple yet effective methods of locking things in place. Something that might work for you is a latch that snaps into place in one of two holes in the back of the board your pedals are mounted on. You could attach a cable to it that you can while seated in the pit, then just slide the pedals this way or that.

You can see the type of latch I am talking about in my recent post here on the seat in my pit. It is the silver part towards the bottom of the seat. Most hardware stores have them or something similar.

Hope that helps. I can't wait to see how the build goes. Please keep us updated!

Dud
Dudley simpit update

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3368140 - 08/16/11 08:21 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Hi dud.
What a great idea with the latches.
I will see if my local hardware store have them.
IMO in your illustration, it would be nicer to have the latch underneath the pedals, the holes in the board where the pedals are mounted on, and the wiring going under the pit. But thanks a lot :-)
Now I just need to find some decent drawer-like mounts for my keyboard.
I suppose I can use a latch for the stick/mouse board also

#3368168 - 08/16/11 10:05 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

P.s what are the latches intended for originally? I live in denmark and I don't think that they're called latches here...

#3368201 - 08/16/11 11:50 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Nice design!

Does your joystick have a pretty strong centering mechanism (ie. strong springs)? With that stick mounted on a tilted forward angle, that could become an issue.

#3368231 - 08/16/11 01:20 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thank you sir :-)
The HOTAS is a Logitech G940 with ffb, and the wheel is a g27, so there wont be a problem with centering spring i guess

Heres some 3d plans of my upcoming build.

I still need to draw a lot. The pedals-board will be angled, it's not in the plans now.

Last edited by jangeisler; 08/16/11 06:57 PM.
#3368910 - 08/17/11 01:53 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I found a place where I can order some 50mm PVC pipe here in Denmark.
And I plan on using plywood boards to mount the things on to.

Would a frame of PVC pipes be strong enough to support:

24" monitor
32" monitor
Complete HOTAS with rudderpedals
Wheel with pedals
Keyboard and mouse
Computer
?

#3368940 - 08/17/11 03:04 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I'll track down the actual name for them when I stop by the hardware store this week.

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3369188 - 08/17/11 09:43 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Does anyone have an idea about how to "lock" the office chair to the simpit?
Velcro om arm-rest bars?
Some kind of latch-lock?

#3369511 - 08/18/11 07:05 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
Hej Jan

Your pedal arrangement certainly looks promising! Nice idea.

As for the chair locks, what about something like the spring loaded garden tool holders you see in hardware stores? They would probably need to be beefed up some, in order to provide enough locking force though. Maybe you could bend some yourself, using 4-5mm round steel?
Anyway, I think you're original idea is hard to beat with regards to securing the chair properly, but the spring holders would be more "userfriendly" I guess.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#3369517 - 08/18/11 07:12 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
Hey, just had another idea!
Go have a look at the closing/locking mechanism in a car door. It does almost exactly what you want, although it closes around a smaller diameter, but maybe that can be adjusted. And the parts can most likely be found pretty cheap in you're local junkyard.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#3369542 - 08/18/11 08:57 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the great feedback. I will experiment with your ideas. The major concern right now is the materials to use for the build. I think that PVC pipe will look better and simpler for the overall build, with some plywood boards to mount the hardware onto. But would PVC pipes be sturdy enough?

Last edited by jangeisler; 08/18/11 09:52 AM.
#3369561 - 08/18/11 10:11 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi,

My suggestion (for what it's forth) is to slide 3/4 inch plastic conduit inside 1 inch conduit. The fit is just a slip fit. You'll be amazed at how sturdy it is. I used a short length for the handle of my collective and, even pulling up hard against the end stop, it doesn't bend or kink.

another advantage is that you can use the 1 inch fittings like bends, and it comes in black as standard.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3369611 - 08/18/11 12:53 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Great idea Andy, thanks.
I'm afraid that by doing that, I would double the amount of pipe used for the build, but it might be the only solution if the "single layer" of pipe should prove not to be sturdy enough

#3369621 - 08/18/11 01:05 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

By the way...
If I had the stick positioned in the middle, the stick/mouse board wouldn't have to be able to move.

So a question to you guys who use a centered stick: is this just as comfortable? Or maybe even more?
Or do you center the stick just to make it more "real" compared to the type of aircraft youre flying?

-I'm not that concerned about making my simpit "real", it's more important to me that it's comfortable to use, and that the different peripherals don't interfere with each other or block my view.

#3369676 - 08/18/11 02:35 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
I centered my stick mainly because I switched to A10, but I must say I find it to be more comfortable than a sidestick. And yes, it does give more room for a mouse area, and it gives you the opportunity to squeeze in a stickshift too then, if you're into racing..
Btw, do you plan to play shooters and the like on your setup?
I find it to be a pain if I have to use the mouse for any extended period on my setup, and my mousepad looks to be in a similar low position. Cockpit-clicking and surfing is just fine.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.