Forums » Technology » Flight Sim Pit Builders » Planning on a build..... Feedback? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3366652 - 08/14/11 04:40 AM Planning on a build..... Feedback?
jangeisler Offline

Hi all. I'm new here, but this place seemed as the right place to get some good feedback for my upcoming simpit-build :-)

First, some (ms-paint) drawings:

Topview. Stick and mousepad slides forward on rails, when I want to use the mouse for FPS games. It will be lock-able in both positions.
Board with pedals / rudder, also slides left / right, depending on if I want to race or fly. Also lockable, preferably with a foot-button or something like that.
Keyboard, will be on a drawer-like board. So that I can slide it under the wheel when I want to race.

Sideview. Same as above. I plan to use a normal office-chair as a seat. Maybe with some kind of lock to fasten it to the simpit.
I suppose that I can make some kind of lock, if I choose to use an office chair with arm-rests.

Maybe something like this: (sorry, its in danish)

I would appreciate any feedback on this. And also, which materials are most appropriate? PVC pipe? Wood?

Thanks, and sorry about my bad english.

-Jan

#3367633 - 08/15/11 03:40 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
Brandano Offline

Loc: Caput Mundi (well, it used to ...
You can make a very simple "lock" for your chair using wooden panel or a a piece of carpet with a "slot" cut in it. You roll over it with two wheels and it will keep you in place enough to use the pedals.

#3367734 - 08/15/11 05:17 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline

Loc: California
Definitely look at Dudleys multi pit in this forum section for inspiration and ideas. He's done an amazing job of building a dual purpose simpit.

A casual west coast Black Shark/A-10C Squadron always looking for extra pilots and good times!

#3368058 - 08/16/11 12:46 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
jangeisler Offline

Thanks guys.
Another reason to why I want a lock for the office chair, is to avoid that it swivels when I use rudder or pedals.
Otherwise it would be fine to use the carpet mod.

I will check out dudleys multi pit when I figure out how to search the forums.

Btw I'm currently drawing my plan in 3d, and I will post it when it's ready.

Thanks for the feedback!!! :-D

#3368069 - 08/16/11 01:22 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
jangeisler Offline

I checked out dudleys pit, very nice indeed.
It's just that I would want to be able to use my keyboard and mouse freely, for fps's and general computer use. So I think that I will go with the side mounted stick.

#3368095 - 08/16/11 02:11 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
DudleyAz Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Jangeisler, welcome to the club! I like where you are going with your drawings. I really like your concept for moving the pedals back and forth for use. Your idea is much simpler... and better.. than the ideas I tried that didn't work. I ran into a problem with the fact that my rudder pedals are so wide that I had issues because it made the pit too wide. As long as you have the space it should work perfectly.

I have become fond of using latches that are sprung load for simple yet effective methods of locking things in place. Something that might work for you is a latch that snaps into place in one of two holes in the back of the board your pedals are mounted on. You could attach a cable to it that you can while seated in the pit, then just slide the pedals this way or that.

You can see the type of latch I am talking about in my recent post here on the seat in my pit. It is the silver part towards the bottom of the seat. Most hardware stores have them or something similar.

Hope that helps. I can't wait to see how the build goes. Please keep us updated!

Dud
Dudley simpit update

#3368140 - 08/16/11 04:21 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
jangeisler Offline

Hi dud.
What a great idea with the latches.
I will see if my local hardware store have them.
IMO in your illustration, it would be nicer to have the latch underneath the pedals, the holes in the board where the pedals are mounted on, and the wiring going under the pit. But thanks a lot :-)
Now I just need to find some decent drawer-like mounts for my keyboard.
I suppose I can use a latch for the stick/mouse board also

#3368168 - 08/16/11 06:05 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
jangeisler Offline

P.s what are the latches intended for originally? I live in denmark and I don't think that they're called latches here...

#3368201 - 08/16/11 07:50 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
CyBerkut Offline
Former Quantum Mechanic

Loc: North of St. Petersburg
Nice design!

Does your joystick have a pretty strong centering mechanism (ie. strong springs)? With that stick mounted on a tilted forward angle, that could become an issue.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson

#3368231 - 08/16/11 09:20 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]
jangeisler Offline

Thank you sir :-)
The HOTAS is a Logitech G940 with ffb, and the wheel is a g27, so there wont be a problem with centering spring i guess

Heres some 3d plans of my upcoming build.

I still need to draw a lot. The pedals-board will be angled, it's not in the plans now.

Edited by jangeisler (08/16/11 02:57 PM)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Giant Poppy made by intelligence staff in UK.
by RedToo
03:08 AM
Looking for an article
by Supra
01:15 AM
The Pub
by Linebacker
11:49 PM
Wait... I think I've figured it out...
by Pizzicato
11:38 PM
So glad...not me
by Timothy
10:43 PM
Oh my. Ebola in New York
by oldgrognard
10:21 PM
Is the campaign coop?
by Destraex
10:14 PM
George St Sydney 1914-2014
by Ajay
09:46 PM
Arma 3 free weekend + 50% off sale
by Vertigo1
09:42 PM
ARMA2 - ww2 is on steam sale for $6 atm. The D-Day addon comes with it. I am gonna grab it.
by Destraex
09:29 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.