Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3375281 - 08/26/11 12:38 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: DudleyAz]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: DudleyAz
Jangeisler,

{Some good stuff deleted for brevity}

I think it came out as good as it could, but we both agree it is a bit... wiggly... especially when doing agressive flying. He doesn't have a wheel set up, but I don't think I would relish bolting a wheel on to it as well. The PVC just flexes too much and doesn't have enough mass to it to make it feel solid. We have discussed filling the piping with sand or expanding foam insulation, but we're not sure it would help much. We may end up using it as a framework to start attaching an MDF skin to, but if we were starting from scratch, we would skip the PVC all together.
{snip!}
Dud

Hmmm... Which parts are wiggling, and what schedule pipe was used?

As for stiffening it up... Depending on where the wiggling is ocurring, some strategically placed additions of pipe might do the trick. For instance, if the side platforms tend to move downward at all on the front end (closest to the monitor), tee-ing in another pipe from the front edge down to the base would probably resolve that. Especially if it is a higher schedule pipe.

I'm guessing the joystick platform is the biggest problem though. A snuggly fitting wooden dowel can stiffen up a longer pipe that is flexing more than you like. Another way to go is to fill the pipe(s) with epoxy. Once that stuff cures, the filled pipes will be like rocks (stiffness wise).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3375289 - 08/26/11 12:47 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Dud, thanks for the info!! :-D

I'm not quite done yet, but I've added 1" pvc pipe to my plan, here it is in plane mode:

and in race mode:

..I'm currently working on a smart way to set up the pvc pipes to support the keyboard, wheel and screen.

I might need to make the whole thing wider, depending on the office chair I'm getting.

...does this PVC setup look wiggly?

Last edited by jangeisler; 08/26/11 12:48 PM.
#3375314 - 08/26/11 01:15 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: jangeisler
Dud, thanks for the info!! :-D

{snip!}

..I'm currently working on a smart way to set up the pvc pipes to support the keyboard, wheel and screen.

I might need to make the whole thing wider, depending on the office chair I'm getting.

...does this PVC setup look wiggly?

1 " PVC pipe comes in more than one thickness (schedule). The heavier schedule stuff will cost more, but flex less. Your side platforms look good as far as up and down flex/sag, but I'd be concerned about the platforms flexing forward and backward as you push and pull on the controls. I think I mentioned triangles being structurally stronger than rectangles earlier in the thread, and this is where that comes in. Of course, there is more than one way to accomplish that.

Adding a diagonal pipe from bottom-rear, to the top-front of each of those side assemblies could help... however, for the throttle platform that would mean extra width since you need to have room for your computer case to slide in.

Another way would be to use cables and turnbuckles (for tensioning adjustments). Use some eyebolts through the PVC pipes for attachment points. Cable the bottom-rear to the top-front. To really cover the bases, cable the bottom-front to the top-rear, as well. Benefits of that approach are that you can route the cable along the outside or inside plane of the side assemblies, leaving that space open for your computer case witout adding significant width to the assemblies. The downside is that it doesn't look quite as spiffy (assuming that you are not covering it up with side panels).

#3375390 - 08/26/11 03:06 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I agree with CyBerkut that you are going to need some support for the sides as there will be some wobble in it (technical term, just like wiggly) because of the height of the side consoles. Another challenge you are going to face is getting everything square during assembly. We used a miter chop saw to cut the PVC on our build, and we still fought with getting everything seated perfectly where it all came out square and sat level on the floor. Don't think I'm trying to talk you out of using the PVC, just sharing some insight into challenges we had.

Something that popped into my disturbed brain last night (yes, scary, I know). Instead of 1" PVC (we used 1" schedule 40 by the way which is the thickest you will find at most DIY or home improvement stores), what if you built it using 2" or 3" drain/sewer pipe? It is infinately stronger and sturdier stuff. I used it to center mount my joystick in my pit and it is rock solid. I have seen other use it at very long lengths and they even fill it with concrete for stability.

Take a look at what Paradaz just posted here. Just a thought...

Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3375577 - 08/26/11 06:18 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the great feedback guys. :-)

Regarding the triangles, the problem is, that I can't find fittings other than 45', 90', and T's for 1" pvc here in Denmark, and I don't think that they have them for 2" PVC either, which makes it a bit troublesome to include some strong triangles.

A problem with 2" or 3" PVC is, that some of the fittings + pipe lengths in my plan are quite short, and will probably be nearly impossible to make with larger pipes, or will look clunky.. (if thats a word) :-P

I will withdraw and rethink the whole thing.

Another idea in this thread, was to place the racing pedals above the rudder pedals, so that I would have a more laid-back racing posture compared to my flying posture.

I dont know if it would be easier to make it all in wood..... The problem is, that my wife likes the idea of using pvc. Easier to clean, and nicer to look at, she says. notworthy

Maybe the setup could look kinda like this?

The major problem with my upcoming pit, is that I want to be able to race, fly, and play fps on the pit.. And of course use the computer for normal stuff...

I've thought about making THIS

But then I would have to make 2 of them, one "original", and one modded for a wheel, and have them standing in a corner in my house when not in use...

Last edited by jangeisler; 08/26/11 07:13 PM.
#3375613 - 08/26/11 06:54 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Thanks for the great feedback guys. :-)

Regarding the triangles, the problem is, that I can't find fittings other than 45', 90', and T's for 1" pvc here in Denmark, and I don't think that they have them for 2" PVC either, which makes it a bit troublesome to include some strong triangles.

A problem with 2" or 3" PVC is, that some of the fittings + pipe lengths in my plan are quite short, and will probably be nearly impossible to make with larger pipes, or will look clunky.. (if thats a word) :-P

If you can't find "wye" fittings of a suitable type in the sizes you need, then just give serious consideration to putting the cable braces in. They'd still be easy for the spousal unit to keep tidy, and doesn't have to look bad, either. smile

#3375703 - 08/26/11 09:03 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Would the integration of cable braces mean that I could stick to my current plan by just strengthening the pit?

#3375929 - 08/27/11 02:59 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I love your idea of mounting the car pedals above the rudder pedals... that is inspired! I am going to look at that for my pit!

The DIY plans you are looking at, in particular #321, is the exact plan that we used to build my buddies pit. Small world huh?

The cable braces might put to much stress on the PVC, but I'm not sure on that because I never tried it. You would be able to strengthen it by putting a couple of wood (MDF) plates on it to give it lateral support (my vote would be on the back end of each side, and maybe on the bottom too. The MDF will also help give it some 'ballast' to make it less wiggly.

The best thing with the PVC idea is that if you try it and it doesn't work out, you aren't in to it for a bunch of money on materials. I think for all of the PVC pipe, fittings, and paint, my friend spent $40.00 and we built it in an evening!

Dud

Last edited by DudleyAz; 08/27/11 03:19 AM.

#3376346 - 08/27/11 09:41 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I spoke with my wife, and she said that wood was okay, as long as I painted it :-D

I'm going to rethink the whole thing and then post the NEW plan here.

I thought of something like the last drawing I posted, with the mouse somewhere comfortable, and the keyboard on drawer sliders.
- that would eliminate the need for rails / sliders for the joystick and pedals.

The simpler the better, right? :-)

#3376594 - 08/28/11 06:02 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
walker450 Offline
walker450  Offline

Since you are leaning more towards wood now.... I'll share my experience. smile I build a multi-purpose "pit". I previously had it setup for a steering wheel too, but changed it around some recently and haven't added the mount again.

It works great for FPS's and sims. Here is the link: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=78096

I kept it simple and used 2x4 lumber and plywood. This can all be done with a hand saw and a drill (or hammer/nails, but I don't recommend that). To put the curves in you'll need a jig saw....

#3376708 - 08/28/11 10:47 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the hint, Walker. :-)

Nice idea with the folding wings in your pit :-) And I envy you for the triple monitors...

Two quick ones:

1. I intend to secure the stick with screws. Is it comfy to have the mouse on the right side of the stick for fps etc?

2. When you had a wheel in your pit, did you have racing pedals also? I'm not quite sure how and where to put my 2 sets of pedals..

#3376971 - 08/28/11 09:51 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I think that I've come up with an okay plan. I think that if I go with this build, I will make a few of the joints detachable, so that I can move the thing around when needed.

Again, I would appreciate any feedback on this, so that I can fix potential flaws before I start building.

Now, the only moveable part is the keyboard drawer.

#3377017 - 08/28/11 11:40 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

Hmmm, never thought of arranging the pedals that way. But what really concerns me is the possibility of the top set of car pedals getting in the way of the bottom set of rudder pedals, and how easily your chair will adapt to both postures.

#3377021 - 08/28/11 11:54 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I've tested the pedal positions, by setting up my pedals as on the drawing. I have no problem operating the bottom pedals, and by tilting the office chair backwards, the top pedals should be comfy. At least they're okay without tilting.

#3377321 - 08/29/11 02:07 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
If you still wanted to explore making the PVC plans work... Yes, cross bracing cables should allow that to work. You could always put the anchoring eyebolts through the PVC fittings where the corners are joined. The fittings are made of nice thick PVC and are resistant to cracking/breaking.

The wood plans look pretty good, too. I shared NamelessPFG's concern about the utility of the two fixed pedal positions. If your chair will adapt well enough, then I guess you're good to go. smile

Last edited by CyBerkut; 08/29/11 02:08 PM.
#3377343 - 08/29/11 02:54 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Why not swing one set of pedals up under the keyboard tray when not being used ?

I'm sure it could be done with pulleys and cord/cable. If you wanted to impress you could always fit a motor ....

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3378051 - 08/30/11 02:54 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the feedback and idea.

Regarding the pedals / rudder posistion, I've actually set them up, and tested them to see if theres any problems using them while theyre placed exactly by the measurements on the drawing. With a chair, that doesn't even tilt, I can operate both sets of pedals without problems. So I think that it will be even better when I get an office chair that tilts.

#3378065 - 08/30/11 03:18 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
I would think about adding some verticle supports between the right platform under your mouse and stick and the platform your PC sits on. There will be a lot of pressure on that during flight and over time it may work itself loose.

Really good overall concept! I'm still intrigued by the pedals deployment.. I am playing with an offshoot simliar to what Andy recommended for my pit.

Can't wait to see it come to life.

Dud

#3378343 - 08/30/11 09:12 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Now I'm almost ready to order materials and start the build

I've discarded the 1st version I drew (PVC pipe pit). And I've actually made yet another plan, with the joystick placed much closer to the chair, so that it doesnt have to be angled, and the mouse is more reachable. (simpit v3 :-D )
Additionally, the keyboard now lays freely on the tabletop, which means no need for sliders etc. There's room for the keyboard under the steering wheel.

Here's the 2 plans, now I just need to decide which to go with, and maybe tweak it a bit.

#3378454 - 08/30/11 11:57 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
walker450 Offline
walker450  Offline

Thanks for the hint, Walker. :-)

Nice idea with the folding wings in your pit :-) And I envy you for the triple monitors...

Two quick ones:

1. I intend to secure the stick with screws. Is it comfy to have the mouse on the right side of the stick for fps etc?

2. When you had a wheel in your pit, did you have racing pedals also? I'm not quite sure how and where to put my 2 sets of pedals..

Sorry for the delayed response!

1. I don't mind having the mouse to the right; however, I would prefer to have it elevated higher, like in your v3. The angle is a little uncomfortable on the wrist after a while.
2. I had to swap pedals out by hand, and I drilled a hole through them and secured them with a wood screw. Having them both setup would be much much better.

As far as the pedal position, seeing the above post by Andy gave me an idea. Instead of having the top pedals "tilt" up, you could have them mounted on a keyboard sliding tray and slide them up at an angle to get them out of the way. They would have to be latched in the upped position, which could be accomplished with a string and spring loaded pin as discussed earlier.

Also, the computer case could be mounted behind the monitors, above the pedals. This makes it up a little higher and easier to access if you need to unhook cables etc, as opposed to sitting on the ground (also keeps it up out of dust that collects on the floor).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.