Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3369679 - 08/18/11 02:45 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Yes, I intend to play all sorts og games. Maybe I will play with the position of the mousepad to make it comfy.
I would like to be able to move the seat forward so that my wife can use the wheel and pedals too, so a centered stick would mean another problem to solve :-)

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3369742 - 08/18/11 03:51 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: jangeisler
Does anyone have an idea about how to "lock" the office chair to the simpit?
Velcro om arm-rest bars?
Some kind of latch-lock?

I seem to recall seeing a pic of someone's pit, where they had a board with two holes in it, sized to accept 2 of the casters from the typical 5 caster office chair base. They just rolled their chair over and dropped the front two casters into those holes. The board was attched to the rest of their "pit" frame somehow. Use a thick enough board, and even enthusiastic operation of the pedals shouldn't lift you out of the holes.

#3369746 - 08/18/11 03:55 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
I found a place where I can order some 50mm PVC pipe here in Denmark.
And I plan on using plywood boards to mount the things on to.

Would a frame of PVC pipes be strong enough to support:

24" monitor
32" monitor
Complete HOTAS with rudderpedals
Wheel with pedals
Keyboard and mouse
Computer
?

That is going to depend on:

What schedule (thickness) of pipe is used. (Higher schedule numbers are thicker, and therefor stiffer)
The number and placement of frame connection points, etc.

Keep in mind that triangles are structurally stronger than rectangles.

#3369828 - 08/18/11 05:02 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks you all :-)

Regarding the idea with a board with holes in it for the 2 front wheels, it might be a problem, if the solution doesn't prevent the office chair from swivelling.

I'm planning to use 50mm pipe, (2"). I don't know how thick they are yet, but I've sent an email request to the shop that sell them.

About the structural strength of triangles, thanks for that. I will see what they've got of fittings and bends, and see if I can include as many triangles as possible in the frame :-)

I think that when I'm done drawing the 3d plan, I'll post it here, and maybe alter it afterwards if I (we) find any problems with it, before I order materials and start the build.

#3369832 - 08/18/11 05:09 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Regarding the center mounted stick, I think that I've found another issue.
In my plan, the keyboard slides out from underneath the steering wheel.

I'm not sure, that there's room for the wheel, keyboard and the stick above my lap.

#3369844 - 08/18/11 05:20 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Here, I've added a 15 cm block underneath the mousepad. Not sure if it will interfere with the handling of the joystick. I guess i could smooth the edge near the joystick a bit. Or maybe it would be even better, if I turned the block 45' out. But that would make it take more space.. decisions decisions.....

Also, I've added the keyboard, so that you can see what I mean with the drawer like pull-out.

I added where the screen approx should be.

Last edited by jangeisler; 08/18/11 05:22 PM.
#3369866 - 08/18/11 05:46 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

This pit reminds me of something I had planned for a replacement desk/simpit, specifically those two types of pedals on a sliding platform to easily convert to whichever set is more suitable.

In fact, the only big difference I can think of is that your wheel is on a fixed mount and not a swing-down arm, while in my design, the keyboard is on a fixed mount and the wheel is mounted to some swing arms that hold the wheel above the monitor when not in use.

I'd certainly like to see the finished product in action. (That mouse placement does have me concerned, though...)

#3369908 - 08/18/11 06:44 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: NamelessPFG]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I agree about the mouse placement.

Im trying to figure out what to do with it....

#3370024 - 08/18/11 09:13 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I think I might have figured out how to place the mouse.

Heres yet another couple of pics... :-/ please let me know if I post too much, or post too many pictures here.

Notice that the mouse is higher now that originally, and the mouse / stick slides forward 25cm / 10".

#3370813 - 08/19/11 09:47 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Got a bit further with the drawing.

Here you can see an overview.

Throttle, with dudleys idea for a lock. :-) Keyboard on drawer-thingies.

Throttles, now angled, on rails.

Dudleys locking mechanism again :-) A wire going to a handle near the seat will be appropriate (dudleys idea again)

..At last, getting it all sorted out. Now i just need to set it up temporarily on chairs etc, to see if all the distances and heights are okay. (and figure out what to do with the chair-lock)

#3371215 - 08/20/11 04:59 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Jangeisler, you could mount the pedals above and behind the rudders and have more of a racing posture? You already have to move the seat forward a bit, when reaching for the wheel, right?

#3371344 - 08/20/11 10:20 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: JAMF]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Hi. Great idea, thanks. :-)
In the plan, I can actually reach both the HOTAS and the wheel from the same relaxed position.
But now you mention it, it could be nice with a laid back racing position.
I will consider it, and see if it would be too complicated to build.

The original plan was to keep it as simple as possible, and to make it possible and comfortable to reach ALL the controls from the same position.

I think that I need to set everything up temporarily, setting the right distances and heights, even if that means that I have to lay the controls on stacked books etc.

If the racing position is awkward, I will try to plan something like the idea you mentioned

#3371619 - 08/21/11 11:51 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

I just drew myself in roughly, and it seems to be okay so far. :-)

The chair dimensions arent very accurate I noticed, but thats because i didnt buy a chair yet. Ive measured up everything else before drawing. :-)

#3371708 - 08/21/11 03:39 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
NamelessPFG Offline
NamelessPFG  Offline

I think I might have figured out how to place the mouse.

Notice that the mouse is higher now that originally, and the mouse / stick slides forward 25cm / 10".

Heh, I can't believe I didn't think of that earlier...

...oh wait, I might have, but ruled it out because my Cougar has a force-sensing mod installed, and those work best when the stick is mounted as securely as possible. I wonder how that's going to work if it's on a sliding platform.

One of my ideas to get around this with a fixed stick would actually require me to buy a new keyboard...a split one. Then place each half somewhere near the stick and throttle in a comfortable position. The middle platform that would normally hold the keyboard instead becomes home to the mouse and my 3Dconnexion SpacePilot. Perhaps my MS SWFFB2 too, for the prop sims (but it won't always be mounted there, just brought out when needed like it currently is).

Only thing is, I'm kind of fond of the keyboards I already have now, and a split mechanical keyboard would be even more expensive than usual.

#3372130 - 08/22/11 07:57 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the answer. The sliding system will be quite secure. The "rails", upper and lower rail, are going to be a quite tight fit, and the platform will lock in both position, so in both positions it should be as if the platform was securely mounted in place.

That's the idea at least :-)

#3372581 - 08/22/11 09:54 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

so far so good.... I still need to draw a board for the computer to be on, and add some pipes to strenghten the frame.

#3373453 - 08/23/11 10:40 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Need help guys... I can't seem to find suitable "interlockable" rails for the pedals and joystick boards. (meaning that the upper and lower rails won't go apart)
I've thought of using sliders fo drawers but that doesn't seem sturdy enough in extended position.

Does anyone know where to get rails like that? Or maybe an everyday product to take the rails from?

#3373703 - 08/24/11 07:37 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
You can get heavy duty drawer slides for drawers that need to take a lot of weight.

I used the slides from a filing cabinet drawer for the adjustment on my rudder pedals.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3374031 - 08/24/11 07:21 PM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
jangeisler Offline
jangeisler  Offline

Thanks for the tip, Andy :-)

...are you using some kind of small wheels underneath your rudder pedals?

#3375112 - 08/26/11 04:42 AM Re: Planning on a build..... Feedback? [Re: jangeisler]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Jangeisler,
I used 'full extension' heavy duty drawer glides for my wheel to slide in my pit. They are strong enough to support the weight of the wheel, plus the much heavier stress of me yanking on the thing when I am racing... especially when things aren't going my way! You can also look for server racking gear. It is generally heavy duty stuff.

I had promised a while back some info on the sprung load latches I was using... well, I finally remembered to swing by the hardware store and snap a pic for you.

I have seen them called chain bolts and spring bolts. Just make sure it has a spring that keeps it in the closed position unless you pull the chain. I replace the chain with braided metal cable.

In reference to your question about using PVC for your framework. I just recently finished building a setup for a friend of mine based on some plans he found on the internet.

I think it came out as good as it could, but we both agree it is a bit... wiggly... especially when doing agressive flying. He doesn't have a wheel set up, but I don't think I would relish bolting a wheel on to it as well. The PVC just flexes too much and doesn't have enough mass to it to make it feel solid. We have discussed filling the piping with sand or expanding foam insulation, but we're not sure it would help much. We may end up using it as a framework to start attaching an MDF skin to, but if we were starting from scratch, we would skip the PVC all together.

By the way, he is using Velcro to strap the chair to the rig whenever he flys. It keeps him from sliding away from the controls, but he forgot to unstrap himself once and almost broke one of the supports when he went to slide away and stand up. The Velcro holds nice and tight though! Wounded

Hope all this helps!
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.