Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3340662 - 07/12/11 10:15 PM How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer.  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

[reposted, because it seems that some find this useful]

My gunnery efficiency was improved IMMENSELY when I started to use the gunsight correctly. You have to fire at the right range. If you do it you will see dramatic results.

This picture was uploaded by Eklund89 of the banana forums, who explained all of this to me:

It seems there is a small error in CoD regarding the gunsights. Instead of measuring the wingspan from horizontal line to horizontal line, as they did in real life, the CoD sights measure the distance from the central dot to the horizontal line.

This means that you have to double the setting on the range dial.

So, if you set your convergence (in the settings screen, before entering the mission) to, say, 150 yards, then you have to set the range dial to 300. That is your upper dial on the gunsight. Do that before take-off.

Then, when you're up and flying and come across a bogey, you have to enter his wing span with the lower dial. So, enter 60 with the dial if you're going up against a Do-17.

With all that set correctly you should then hold your fire till the enemy wingtips touch the two horizontal lines in your gunsight. Then fire away and you will be amazed at the results, I guarantee you! Don't waste your time shooting from closer up or further away. The cone of fire will converge at just the right distance and with devastating results.

Apart from the small range bug (which might have been corrected with one of the latest patches, I don't know, but for which there is an easy work-around, as you can see) 1C has really modelled convergence shooting fantastically well.

Hope this helps.

PS: I haven't used this technique yet in any of my videos, which are strictly spray and pray!

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3340749 - 07/13/11 12:53 AM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Cool post. Me being a bit of a lunatic pilot , i like the bomber to fill the screen before opening fire biggrin If i cant see the whites of the rear gunners eyes i am too far away.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3340760 - 07/13/11 01:29 AM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Five stars. Thanks for posting this!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3340783 - 07/13/11 02:33 AM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
It seems there is a small error in CoD regarding the gunsights.

Well, there's a candidate for 'understatement of the century' if ever I did see one mate. wink I pointed this out months ago on this forum, and it is worrying that they can't even seem to get an elementary thing like this correct, let alone patch it in the course of 4 months.

This means that you have to double the setting on the range dial.

I dispute that frey with respect. I'd say 'this means they have to fix it....it's ridiculous'. biggrin

Only a week to go till US-Day though, we live in hope and lets be positive. Way too much whining on these forums I reckon. What is wrong with all these people, and why aren't they happy with what is so graciously given? *cough, splutter* biggrin

Anyway, being a bit facetious and I'm genuinely looking forward to patch day....So we can start moaning about something else of course. The wheels on the bus go round and round. All day looooong. biggrin

Cheers. Smile2

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3340846 - 07/13/11 05:28 AM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Ajay]  
jimbop Offline
jimbop  Offline

Australia
Originally Posted By: Ajay
Cool post. Me being a bit of a lunatic pilot , i like the bomber to fill the screen before opening fire biggrin If i cant see the whites of the rear gunners eyes i am too far away.

Same here! I've had more than a few accidentally collisions I'm afraid... can't help but feel that my approach would be a little different in RL though!

Thanks for reposting, it is a very useful tip.

Custom magnetic stick, control box and pedals | EVGA GTX480 superclock | i7 2600k @ 4.5 | GA-P67A-UD4-B3 | 8GB DDR3 1666 Corsair Vengeance | Antec 1200W TruePower | Windows 7 64-bit | FT clip + modded Logitech Fusion
#3341046 - 07/13/11 02:52 PM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Biggles07]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Biggles07
It seems there is a small error in CoD regarding the gunsights.

Well, there's a candidate for 'understatement of the century' if ever I did see one mate. wink

I'd reserve such expressions for "a small step for man" or some such famous quotes, but oh well, hyperbole is there to be used, isn't it?

Yeah, I agree that they should get it right, of course I do. But I think one should 1) temper one's disaffection by remembering that this is by far the best simulation ever of the proper use of a WWII gunsight, including convergence, deflection shooting, ammo load-out, etc, etc, etc, and 2) be quite happy that there is a simple work-around. So, for me it isn't a glass half-full or half empty argument. It is a question of having a glass at all. We do, even though there is a slight chip off the lip.

#3341082 - 07/13/11 03:53 PM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Great post.
But Frey, this is the only recent simulation to model WW2 (WoP doesn't really count), so there's not a lot of competition. It's great to see features like this being modelled, but one would expect it in a 2011 simulation. Kudos to the team for looking into it, though. It's just a shame that, like most areas of the sim like this, the details aren't completely up to scratch (there are enough dab-hands in the community to supply the team with relevent information as well)

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3341493 - 07/14/11 06:54 AM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

So, it is the only recent WWII simulation? - And "one would expect it in a 12011 simulation"?

I don't expect anything from a non-existing market and I don't know where your expectations come from, if nobody else makes anything close to a hi-fidelity WWII combat sim. Our only other contender is BoBII:WoV where the gunsight is frankly a joke.

Your posting is one of those typical ones from "a certain crowd". Whatever happens to be actually quite amazing and not made by anybody else is - by your definition - "to be expected". Whatever glitch there is is - always - a total deal-breaker that invalidates everything else in the sim. It is getting a bit long in the tooth, to be honest...

#3341818 - 07/14/11 05:31 PM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
Philip_ed Offline
Philip_ed  Offline

Yes, what other WW2 sim has been released in competition? (tangible competition, that is).
And of course this is to be expected in a 2011 simulation! It's a brilliant feature, I said as such, but it's not a ridiculously hard bit of programming; it's just nicely contrasted by the fact that the effect (of being able to adjust your gunsight) is very comfoting (almost making your cokpit feel like your own personal space). It's not a dealbreaker though Frey, get over yourself pal; and please, stop taking peoples posts and construing them to degrading lengths. There is a bug, it can be fixed, but that's all. Nothing more, nothing less.
'This crowd' sounds like a taboo subject. If i am to be categorised like an animal, then I would fall into the 'I post my own views, and nothing but my own views' crowd. I'm honest; and in a competive simulation market, there's nothing better than an honest user. And in my honest opinion, it would have been disapointing if a fully working gunsight like this was left out of the sim. (Feel free to disagree, but I have no wish to argue it).

"Our name is Hornet Squadron, no bloody good are we.
We cannot shoot, we can not fight, nor march like infantry.
But when it comes to pay parade, we shout with all our might:
Per Ardua ad Astra, Up yours Jack we're alright!"

Flt Lt Kellaway
#3341863 - 07/14/11 06:19 PM Re: How to use the gunsight in CoD, a small primer. [Re: Freycinet]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Hmm, I think we're talking past each other here. I agree that it is the only proper WWII combat flight sim out now. That's why I don't get the bit about taking a fully functioning gunsight for granted. It is not as if heaps of other producers are doing it. Actually it is more a case of nobody else even considering it. Because there isn't a lot of money in hi-fidelity sims compared to XBox games...

So, I'm pretty happy that a development team has put a lot of effort into giving us something nobody else is considering.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.