#3330469 - 06/28/11 04:37 PM The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
I thought this article might be of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13924720

From the top of the article:

Quote:
An attempt to recover a Spitfire from a peat bog in Donegal will highlight the peculiar story of the men - both British and German - who spent much of World War II in relative comfort in neighbouring camps in Dublin, writes historian Dan Snow.

Elf

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3330521 - 06/28/11 05:47 PM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
Lone Star Ace Offline
Simulated Ace
Lone Star Ace  Offline
Simulated Ace

Spring, TX
Cool story. Thanks for sharing. Hope they are able to get the Spitfire out of the bog.

#3330592 - 06/28/11 07:15 PM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
Scott Elson Offline
Scott Elson  Offline

Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Oops, goofed and posted this one WW forum early. Glad you found it interesting.

Can one of the Moderators move this to the correct forum?

Elf

Last edited by Scott Elson; 06/28/11 07:20 PM.
#3331400 - 06/29/11 05:27 PM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Holy Smokes! This just screams for a movie. Allies fishing and foxhunting with the Germans? Just when you thought you've heard every story that ever came out of WW2.
Glad the story mentioned the fact that the United States pulled the citizenship of anyone who went to fight for a foriegn nation, while we were neutral. It always bothers me when I see that scene from "Pearl Harbor." Ben Afleck says, "I'm shipping out. The Air Corps is sending me to fight with the Eagle Squadron!"
The Air Corps never did any such thing! All of those guys were civilians, who gave up their U.S. citizenship and went to Canada to join the Canadian Air Force. Some could not wait for the U.S. to get into the war and were anxious to fight. Others found that the entrance standards weren't as high as the Air Corps, after being turned down. (The U.S. would later lower their too).
How the hell could the Air Corps send pilots off to fight in a war that the country wasn't even involved in!?
Okay, anyway, good find. Very interesting. Would like to find out more about this.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3357172 - 08/02/11 03:11 AM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
Aforest Offline
Aforest  Offline

I didn't know Americans were stripped of their citizenship, that is quite a sacrifice to make and dbaggery on the part of the USA government. Some Canadians served in both The Civil war and Vietnam war and were not stripped of their Canadian citizenship because of it as far as I know.

It says Ireland was neutral but I read about a year ago that they actually harbored favoritism for the Nazis because Britian losing the war meant them also losing control of Northern Ireland.

#3357226 - 08/02/11 04:33 AM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Aforest]  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Originally Posted By: Aforest
I didn't know Americans were stripped of their citizenship, that is quite a sacrifice to make and dbaggery on the part of the USA government.

This raised my eyebrows also so I looked into it. I have a biography titled "Spitfires, Thunderbolts and Warm Beer" which is about an American who joined the RAF before Pearl Harbor. LeRoy Gover was recruited and trained at an RAF-contracted flying school in Bakersfield, California. In the book, when Gover graduates and is ready to 'ship out,' the author explains:

Preparation for the trip included more than packing clothes in a small bag and saying good-bye to friends and loved ones. What Gover and the other graduates of the several Clayton Knight-sponsored flying schools in the United States were doing was technically illegal. In a desperate effort to stay out of the war in Europe, the United States had passed a Neutrality Act almost annually from 1936 through 1941. Two provisions of these acts were especially significant to Lee and his compatriots. The first specified that service in the armed forces of a foreign power without authorization and with the resultant acquisition of foreign nationality would expatriate an individual. In other words, they could lose their American citizenship. Fortunately for Gover and the hundreds of other young men who joined the Royal Air Force, the State Department made the decision in June 1940 that so long as a person did not swear allegiance to another government, he would not lose his citizenship. The other provision provided that travel through a designated war zone (the North Atlantic) or on board a belligerent ship (British) could result in a prison sentence of up to two years and/or a $10,000 fine. Fortunately for everyone involved, there was never any prosecutions under this law. Apparently the danger in traveling across the submarine-infested North Atlantic was punishment enough.

In addition, it was illegal for any person registered with Selective Service to leave his home area without telling his draft board where he was going. Travel to Canada was particularly suspect, because most draft boards knew that many Americans, especially pilots, were going to Canada as a first step in eventually gettin to England. When Gover made his decision to sign up for the RAF, he talked to his girlfriend's father, the president of the San Carlos draft board, about what he intended to do. The result was a "Permit of Local Boart for Registrant to Depart from the United States," which gave Gover permission to go to Canada on a business trip for sixty days. Although a provision of the permit stated that "the granting of such permit will not result in evasion of or interference with the execution of the Selective Service Law," the board knew that Gover was going to Canada and then to England to be a member of the RAF, so was clearly was making it impossible to draft him.

Gover: "I think one reason the draft board let me go was the long talks that I had with the board president about the prospect of war and my inability to get into U.S. pilot training because I lacked the required two years of college. I used to take his daughter to San Francisco on dates, and we would sit and watch the Japanese ships loaded to capacity with scrap metal sailing through the Golden Gate for Japan. I really believed that someday that metal would be used against us just as it was then being used against China. He agreed with my thoughts and understood well why I wanted so badly to fly. Once I got the permit, the rest was easy. I crossed the border with no trouble and never heard anything about it."

Remove before flight
#3359569 - 08/05/11 07:23 AM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Great read,thanks for the post thumbsup

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3366015 - 08/13/11 08:22 AM Re: The WWII camp where Allies and Germans mixed [Re: Scott Elson]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Cool post Skycat. smile

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.