Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3326288 - 06/23/11 09:10 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack ***** [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
Thanks, checking now and agreed.

PS: I thought you were talking about alpha channels. duh
The problem is that only one bump map can be used!
Another solution could have been to get rid of the footstep from the bump map and let the
alpha alone to do the job, as it does it, more than fair, for the OAW models with my mod installed.
Check the Wolff screenshot in previous post...

Last edited by elephant_; 06/23/11 09:27 PM.

WOFF UE, BOC member, Albatros pilot.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3326369 - 06/23/11 10:46 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
OK, checked your bump map...
Here is a pic of the worst case scenario of inconsistency between different footsteps in the bump map and skin. (Using the rounded step bump on a squared step).
Again an example with Wolff's plane, that had the frontal step as well to show how fine everything work.
(Yes, I couldn't resist and changed Wolff's cockpit footstep to a historical, squared one...)
I can't tell anything on the control surfaces though, as the added shadows on the skin were a bit confusing! dizzy
I couldn't find any difference...You may reduce the skin shadowing first and then do the test...

#3326377 - 06/23/11 11:12 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
I'm not sure what else to do mate. I've edited the files even more and still no difference.

Here is what the default rounded footstep looks like. Jim, please comment on any errors.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6s975aey426bfei

Not sure what else to do with her.

Last edited by Graf; 06/23/11 11:18 PM.

-
The Graf-Werke--skins for Il-2 and RoF
-
#3326408 - 06/24/11 12:34 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
OK, that weights table needs a little upward shifting and the addition of a thin black line.
(may be slightly-slight bigger lettering, also?)
Look at the picture below for details:

Should be like this, more or less...

Additionally you could add those factory identification plates in front.

You did reduce the additional shadows on the skin? the control surfaces look smoother now.
Anyway, it's 3.30 in the morning here and have to go to bed.
Great work!

Last edited by elephant_; 06/24/11 12:45 AM.

#3326456 - 06/24/11 01:42 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
First, great job, Gents! You're making the closest thing we'll get to the classic Albatros DIII.

BTW, will your changes wipe out the stock OAW DIII? As much as I've complained (whined, let's be honest) about this sim's lack of the classic Albatros DIII that actually flew during Bloody April, I don't want to lose the excellent OAW D.III, either. I'm not the most learned when it comes to mods, etc., but I gather if I want to fly the modded DIII I add it via that installer and when I want to fly the OAW I remove it that same way. Correct?

Second, that bottom plate above is cool looking but not historical; although I guess it'd be shrunk down so much on a skin that you wouldn't be able to tell. It's ironic that ROF would use that with the OAW machine they released, because the OAWs were built at Schneidemühl and not Johannisthal... Anyway, I sent you some plates to use, if you want. The Idflieg plate has my initials on it--which is how I sneak my signature onto my profiles--but at flight sim resolution you won't see that detail. Those plates go on both sides of the nose (or both sides of the fuselage near the cockpit on OAW Albs), which you can see in the DIII photo Elephant posted up there, leading edge of both bottom wings just outboard the interplane struts, and in the cutout above the cockpit.

The following comments/request may be extra crazy but, hell, you changed the rudder so why not? The OAW Albs have the 3-ply wood of the nose divided up into horizontal sections that extend back to as far as the rear center strut attachment; it's another OAW hallmark. Johannisthal-built Albs had these sections go back almost to the leading edge of the wing, right at the aft edge of the forward wing root fillet. Any way you can do this in the sim?

Here, some examples:

The OAW nose. Horizontal sections go aft as far as the rear center strut attachment.

Johannisthal nose. See how the horizontal sections stop when even with the aft edge of the forward wing root fillet? Also visible are the placards on the nose. This example is a closeup of that plane with the OAW-style step on a Johannisthal nose, which is rare. Wolff's DIII had one, as mentioned earlier, and yesterday I found one on D.760/17.

Here are the placards on the leading edge of the stbd wing; the same was to port. They aren't on the stock skins of any Albs; I bet my DII MvR skin is the only one that has them in the entire sim. If there are others, there aren't many.

You can see the "Nicht auftreten!" stencils just aft of the leading edges, well inboard next to the fuselage. They were there! At least on Johannisthal DIIIs, Vs and Vas, unless they were overpainted at the Staffel level. I've not seen them on DIs and DIIs but I've not seen photos of every machine, either. Plus, such a tricky location to see in photos. And, of course, there are always exceptions to their application.

All that is nth degree stuff--hell, zth degree stuff--I know. Even if you don't want to take the plane as full monty as historically possible, you guys have done great jobs already! cheers

#3326561 - 06/24/11 03:39 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
Right now at the bar having a few beers, relaxin!

You guys are gonna kill me! Yes, Jim...it can be done. wink

-
-
#3326644 - 06/24/11 06:57 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: JFM]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
Originally Posted By: JFM

BTW, will your changes wipe out the stock OAW DIII? As much as I've complained (whined, let's be honest) about this sim's lack of the classic Albatros DIII that actually flew during Bloody April, I don't want to lose the excellent OAW D.III, either. I'm not the most learned when it comes to mods, etc., but I gather if I want to fly the modded DIII I add it via that installer and when I want to fly the OAW I remove it that same way. Correct?

When I was putting the Mod together, my intention was to be used along with the default OAW D.III and no enabling-disabling would be required.
Eliminating the engine footstep from the bump map doesn't seem to affect that detail on both OAW or Johannisthal models that have it, (as shown on the screens above), so universal compatibility is secured.
So you can enable the Mod and forget. Johannisthal models in game should look right and OAW ones wouldn't be affected.
The only compromise is that the default D.III is permanently a Johhanisthal model.
Even this can be worked around though, just by replacing the Mods default skin with an OAW one.
In a nutshell the Mod introduces the new bump that is compatible to both types and individual changes per plane can be addressed by the plane's skin and alpha channel.

If we go for the Full Monty changing the nose planks the compatibility between the models is going to break!
Also the compatibility with all the older skins that now can be used along with the mod with no problem whatsoever, will be also lost!
Of course Graf could work full time, night and day and recreate every historical Johannisthal D.III in game-Mod compatible... popcorn
But again you have to enable-disable accordingly.
Even though the Johannisthal illusion can't be perfect anyway, as the bowl shaped magazine cover on the port side, (Johannisthal characteristic), can't be depicted at all!

In the backround, just above pilot's head in the picture.
Notice also the little plate on the wing cut out as JFM suggested.

I don't know, Jim is the real expert...
Graf is the workhorse...
If you asked me I would go for universal compatibility for now.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by elephant_; 06/24/11 08:10 AM.

#3326654 - 06/24/11 08:05 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
ImPeRaToR Offline
ImPeRaToR  Offline

JFM do you think the frame details are overdone on any plane controls or just the Albatrosses?

#3326665 - 06/24/11 08:45 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
I was studying the photos again and a solution, for universal compatibility, could be worked out only, if retaining the OAW nose planks arrangement as is now,
(from the photos seems like the width of the planks differs between the models) and just moving their joint with the big fuselage side plank forward to the leading edge of the wing.
The minor change on the bump map could be taken care of and camouflaged by the alpha channel for the OAW models in game and thus secure the compatibility.

What do you think about this?
Minor concession to the Full Monty...
And of course, you can always disable the mod and go back to game's defaults.

Last edited by elephant_; 06/24/11 08:50 AM.

#3326725 - 06/24/11 11:53 AM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
As of right now I have two working templates concerning the Alb D.III. The original RoF OAW D.III(untouched Alpha and bump) and my rounded footstep/no nose footstep mod. Once the dust is settled I'll probably have two-three more that deals with the variants of each(Johannisthal with square footstep). Just easier to work with separate templates altogether for me. smile

As of now I've modified the weight tables accordingly and currently editing the plywood panels per Jim's request. I've found another error concerning RoF's model which I'll point out soon in my next post once.

-
-
#3326859 - 06/24/11 03:31 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
So...believe we are getting very, very close! biggrin

-
-
#3326874 - 06/24/11 03:41 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  

CT, USA
Lookin' real good there Graf! cheers

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, i7 2700k @4.7GHz, EVGA GTX570HD 301.42s, 1x120gb SSD, 2x150gb WD Raptors, 2x200gb SATA, 16gb G.Skill DDR3 2130, 1000W PS, HP DVD-RW, Onboard sound, 32" Sony Bravia XBR, Win7 Pro 64bit, Tai Chi watercooled case
#3326945 - 06/24/11 04:27 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
So so Great!!! winner
I'm so very proud to see it near completion! biggrin
And now sporting my pilots by default... wink

The metal plates need just a bit scaling down and to be put in the reverse order.
May be a bit darkening too? The bright areas pop out a bit too much, but may be wrong.
Also check that darkened area on the base of the V strut...
It's been there for long time..Some kind of unused layer must have been interfering...
I have pointed it out previously, in the Voss thread, but it's still hanging there...

PS: Have you, by any chance, checked how this bump works with the default D.III(OAW)?

Last edited by elephant_; 06/24/11 04:47 PM.

#3326983 - 06/24/11 04:52 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
Thats the other error I was about to point out. Already ahead of ya... wink

-
-
#3327005 - 06/24/11 05:19 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
elephant Offline
elephant  Offline

Patras-Greece
What do you mean?

I'm itching to tell you to rearrange the frontal planks the Johannisthal way...
Check out the comparison pictures JFM posted earlier.
...but I won't ask.

I was thinking if we could persuade Jason to include it as a semi official Mod to be used as standalone, without interfering with the official OAW D.III, at least, till they release a proper one, (I don't see it coming anywhere soon), but this is a long-looong shot!

Last edited by elephant_; 06/24/11 05:22 PM.

#3327144 - 06/24/11 07:14 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Congrats Elephant on the inclusion of your pilot skins in the new patch! thumbsup

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#3327155 - 06/24/11 07:26 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: elephant]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
Originally Posted By: elephant_
What do you mean?

I'm itching to tell you to rearrange the frontal planks the Johannisthal way...
Check out the comparison pictures JFM posted earlier.
...but I won't ask.

I was thinking if we could persuade Jason to include it as a semi official Mod to be used as standalone, without interfering with the official OAW D.III, at least, till they release a proper one, (I don't see it coming anywhere soon), but this is a long-looong shot!

Planks? I thought about it the other day. Still considering it...

Would be nice to implement as a 3rd party Mod. Hope Jason and the crew can come up with something for its use.

So...here is where we are now.

-
-
#3327186 - 06/24/11 07:49 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
That is looking like a work of art!

#3327215 - 06/24/11 08:17 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Graf Offline
Graf  Offline

West Texas
Thanks Trooper. Got a little surprise for everyone. biggrin

-
-
#3327221 - 06/24/11 08:24 PM Re: Jasta 11 Albatros--Skinpack [Re: Graf]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You can see the attention to detail and accuracy, and labour or love of course that you chaps are putting into these birds.
I'm not a central flyer by choice, (British you know, what!) but I do like seeing the work and effort that people put into this great hobby of ours.
Hats off to you all.. PIP PIP!!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.