Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3321090 - 06/17/11 04:32 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
Jason had a P47 Pacific sim on the burner a while ago, it never materialised though. I think a Pacific land based sim with a few planes and a nice career and squadron management campaign would be a good toe into WW2 for 777. If that's a success you could add in carrier ops at a later date. I rather they stayed out of Europe, leave that to Maddox for now.

I also want to see ROF development continuing at a similar pace to now of course smile

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3321091 - 06/17/11 04:33 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Splice_Mainbrace Offline
Splice_Mainbrace  Offline

There are still a lot more WWI things to get into RoF. More planes. More theaters.

WWII can wait. There are other WWII sims.

Besides, I'd rather see a tank or first person ship sim (gunnery not carriers). A WWI warship sim would be terrific. Along the lines of Task Force 1942. I want to direct main batteries again! Observe shot fall, etc.

Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.
#3321095 - 06/17/11 04:37 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: Warbirds]  
swampthng Offline
swampthng  Offline

Originally Posted By: Warbirds
Wow I have 90 hours in a dead sim! I think I will copy and save your post and post it back in a year or two.

Go ahead. CLOD still won't have a campaign or career mode worth playing. And that's the biggest thing. The IL2 series is NOT known at all for it's campaign and will likely never be. IL2 has always seemed to focus on the online furballs. Some like this air quake approach, i'd rather feel like i was in the war which il2 has never done.

I'd pay about any price for a ww2 sim from 777. If they could manage to do the planes to the same fidelity and detail that ROF has it'd be the classic of classics. Can you imagine a b17 to this level of detail? Sure it'd probably cost 20$ in the online store, but it'd be worth it. People are paying more than that for FSX planes and there's not even really a proper game there, it's just flying.

WW2 with ROF's career mode? hell yeah.

#3321146 - 06/17/11 06:04 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
R_Suppards Offline
R_Suppards  Offline

melb australia
Georgio, sorry to nit pick but the Blitz came after the Battle of Britain. Separate campaign. I know because as a child I was there.

Do not be led into temptation. Find it for yourself
#3321170 - 06/17/11 06:32 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

I'd rather 777 work deals to let other developers use their engine....so that the ongoing revenue from those deals would help fund new planes and features for ROF. There's so much left to do for ROF, I'd hate to have the small team distracted with other titles.

Just my humble perspective.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3321372 - 06/18/11 12:19 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: WWBrian]  
Toadvine Offline
Toadvine  Offline

Seattle
What ever happens I hope RoF keeps trucking along, expanding with more and better! I hope these talented devs don't loose interest or get burnt out on WW1, after all it is a small team and they have been at it for years now. There is so much more that could be done with RoF and I actually prefer WW1 air combat, up in the atmosphere with the wind in your hair, these crates are perfect for dogfighting!

#3321385 - 06/18/11 12:38 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

The OP and those of his ilk are exactly why flight sims are only border-line profitable. And that only when produced in low-income countries such as Russia.

With flight sim "fans" like that, who needs enemies?

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com
#3321451 - 06/18/11 02:09 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: Aladar]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: Aladar
Blegh. WWII? I mean, look at the WWII market, it's positively stuffed. Not just with current titles, but older titles too. They'd have to compete with CoD (not the CoD of now, but of a few years time which may well be a fantastic game), Il-2 (older game by this point, but still a defacto classic), The folks from Gaijin are pumping out WWII flight games (may or may not be competition). If you ask me the smart thing to do, and what they did with RoF, is to corner a new flight sim niche. There's no real competition with RoF aside from maybe OFF, which doesn't have their budget. Ergo, they corner the WWI market (in my eyes). So it would make sense for them to try something like this again. Perhaps Korea, where the only competition is Mig Alley of eons past. Or Vietnam where they could easily destroy Strike Fighters as the only competition out there. Personally, I would have almost no interest in another WWII sim. That's just my .02 cents.

The plethora of WWII games is due to the fact that WWII is by far the most popular period for historical simming. That said, there really are not that many WWII games available. IL2:COD is the ONLY modern WWII sim on the market. IL2:1946 and BoBII:WoV are playable, but in both cases we are talking extremely old releases (2006 and 2005, repsectively), and both of those were simply updates/expansions, based on much older, turn of the century, engines. And that's it for WWII. 3 games, and only one modern. The rest of the WWII sims out their (EAW, B-17 II,, FS:SDOE, etc.) are so old as to be not worth mentionining, or (CFS3) only useful for other, unintended applications.

Actually, that puts WWI and WWII in about the same boat, where WWI has one modern (RoF) and 2 slightly older (OFF3 and FE) sims devoted to it.

And lets not forget, that there are many famous theaters/periods of WWII (North Africa, Mediterranean-Italy, New Guinea-Solomons, Central Pacific Carrier Campaign, CBI) that have received little or no coverage. 777 would have plenty of room to expand slowly and carfully into WWII, if it so chose, without retreading the same old ground in the ETO.

Anyway, I, along with some other current RoF owners, have no interest in WWI. Yet RoF, with its excellent FMs graphics, and now career mode, have won me and ohthers over. I am sure a 777 WWII sim, built with the same TLC, would win over alot of the WWI fans in turn.

Last edited by Nimits; 06/18/11 02:11 AM.
#3321546 - 06/18/11 06:15 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: bisher]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bisher
Originally Posted By: 303_Michcich
Considering COD dead by now (they clearly missed the mark on big things and that`s beyond what patches can fix)

Wow, I never realized this sim was dead, perhaps in death throes but not dead. So much unrealized potential, dammit! wink

"Bring out yer dead.... Bring out yer dead....."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3321615 - 06/18/11 09:58 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
303_Michcich Offline
303_Michcich  Offline

777 has already cornered its niche - it`s the realistic flightsim. It has no competition in WWI arena nor it will have one if and when it extends onto WWII - don`t tell me Gaijin stuff is going to `stir the pot`. With COD`s failure, there`s clearly a gap.

#3321626 - 06/18/11 10:31 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
utu01 Offline
utu01  Offline

With COD`s failure, there`s clearly a gap.

The only failure I see now, is your failed opinion. COD is not a failure and ha an enormous potential, let's see what happens in the future. But please, stop these black holes opinions.

#3321793 - 06/18/11 04:08 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Juergen Offline
Juergen  Offline

Why should 777 go into the battle with Maddox ? That´s bull...t (...as far as i know they are even personal friends) These two companies are the last remaining developers of WW flightsims. And in the end they need each others success. That´s the only way the hardcore sim niche can survive. That´s why i bought CoD and hope i will be able to fly it some day. Till then i enjoy ROF.

#3321797 - 06/18/11 04:13 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: utu01]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted By: utu01

The only failure I see now, is your failed opinion. COD is not a failure and ha an enormous potential, let's see what happens in the future. But please, stop these black holes opinions.

How can you claim that? The bloody thing didn't work! And even if it worked perfectly out of box, those repsonsible intentionally ommitted any singleplayer career/campaign mode worth the name.

I don't want it to fail. I'd love for it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, a worthy heir to European Air War. But it just ain't, not so far. And until/unless it is fixed and a good career mode is added, it will remain a failure.

#3321905 - 06/18/11 06:18 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Persoanlly I hope 777 keeps on developing ROF, to the point where there's the Russian front and Italian front! biggrin

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#3322228 - 06/19/11 06:11 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: utu01]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Originally Posted By: utu01

You are right on this, people are not know the problems the early adopters like myself had, when RoF was released in 2009. It is easy to say in 2011, RoF is a trouble free game, but do a search on the official RoF forum and you will read the horror story's from the past.
Simultane to the RoF timeline we get; when the Clod game is one year on the market [or after 9 updates], it will be bug free, give it the same 2 years [like for RoF] and there will be a beta campaign.

Can we blame them???? No, its is only a small group, having a limit budget, in a small market, still keep-on improving and still doing this for us combat flysimmers with all the criticism & impatient remarks as a reward!

No-way, Oleg and Jason, you deserve all the respect for doing this and keep on, we all know, making a complete new flysim engine is very difficult and it will take some time to reach perfect.

#3322234 - 06/19/11 06:22 AM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Considering COD dead by now (they clearly missed the mark on big things and that`s beyond what patches can fix) and the huge dent it leaves in the biggest part of the flight sim market, any update on what/when we could see something on this topic from 777 at ROF`s quality ?

Jason ?

Cheers

I hope you let Luthier know that CoD is dead, I'm sure he would be interested in your great skills as a programmer/prophet, as a matter of interest did you spend long investigating the fact that CoD is unpatchable?

As for ROF WW2 I have no idea what it takes to programme a game engine, but with the huge differences between WW1 flying and WW2 flying I would think the ROF engine would have to have a lot of work done on it, I could be way off the mark, but wasnt the reason that they built their own engine because they found Il2's wasnt suitable for WW1 requirements?

Still intime it wouldnt be bad, but even with the campaign there is still so much more to be done with WW1, including some work on the FM's and more ground objects. I wish they could have some troops in no mans land, even if they were some kind of sprite like they used in EAW, used to love strafing those little buggers.

III/JG11_Tiger
#3322401 - 06/19/11 03:07 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
First point:
CoD is still in development (and hasn't been released in North America) :. CoD Is not dead. You can say it is sick, weak, consumptive - but not dead. Be sure.

Second point:
It would be a colossally stupid mistake for 777 to enter the WWII market at this point. There are several reasons for this 1) Il-2 has raised the bar to a ridiculously high level (look at how CoD is massacred by reviewers despite having a robust set of features); 2) WWII requires a different set of optimisations for the number of objects, flight models, AI etc. (necessitating considerably redevelopment); 3) CoD is already occupying the niche - entering the WWII market would mean direct competition (which isn't really in anyone's commercial interests).

Imagine a WWII simulation with only seven aircraft, with a very small map, simplistic ground target damage models and a couple dozen aircraft in the air...

IMHO, A "Flight Unlimited" style civil sim 'lite' would be a better opportunity - especially if it featured aircraft capable of only visual navigation (ie. pre-1940). Or a successor to the Echelon series of Scifi games...

#3322467 - 06/19/11 05:14 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: Avimimus]  
303_Michcich Offline
303_Michcich  Offline

Originally Posted By: Avimimus
First point:

Imagine a WWII simulation with only seven aircraft, with a very small map, simplistic ground target damage models and a couple dozen aircraft in the air...

Ha ! I perfectly can ! That`s how ROF started and it`s the cornerstone of its success. Imagine a limited WWII Battle of France scenario based on ROF (and, most importantly at ROF quality) that develops (inhastily) into BoB and whatever other theater adding new planes, features etc. using ROF businesss model. Life`s not perfect but it`s definitely a better choice to start with a limited set of planes/features that do amaze the customer/simmer right from the start than overpromise and underdeliver across the board as in COD`s case.

COD is dead beacuse it failed on the intangibles. You can fix FM, you can fix DM, but what you cannot fix is the overall atmosphere and fight experience (that the lousy landscape quality contributes to as well). It`s a long way behind ROF on these dimensions.

ROF wasn`t perfect out of the box but its flaws were patchable - COD`s crucial flaws are not.

Last edited by 303_Michcich; 06/19/11 05:19 PM.
#3322487 - 06/19/11 05:38 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

First point:

Ha ! I perfectly can ! That`s how ROF started and it`s the cornerstone of its success. Imagine a limited WWII Battle of France scenario based on ROF (and, most importantly at ROF quality) that develops (inhastily) into BoB and whatever other theater adding new planes, features etc. using ROF businesss model. Life`s not perfect but it`s definitely a better choice to start with a limited set of planes/features that do amaze the customer/simmer right from the start than overpromise and underdeliver across the board as in COD`s case.

COD is dead beacuse it failed on the intangibles. You can fix FM, you can fix DM, but what you cannot fix is the overall atmosphere and fight experience (that the lousy landscape quality contributes to as well). It`s a long way behind ROF on these dimensions.

ROF wasn`t perfect out of the box but its flaws were patchable - COD`s crucial flaws are not.

So your argument is based on the 'intangibles'. That's convenient. smile

777 are great, and RoF is a great WWI sim, but you're coming across like someone a little lovestruck. IL2 lacked intangibles too, but it did ok. A crowded WWII wouldn't be an easy market to crack.

#3322491 - 06/19/11 05:41 PM Re: WW II flight Sim by 777 [Re: 303_Michcich]  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
First point:

Ha ! I perfectly can ! .....

That's called 'to sputter', Minchcich. All you can is spout your bull here... There's a whole company of developers working on CoD now.

Dirk.

Last edited by Dirk98; 06/19/11 05:42 PM.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.