Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3310022 - 06/03/11 01:12 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
Madaboutsims Offline
old time
Madaboutsims  Offline
old time
Hotshot

UK
wouldnt drive an automatic if you paid me, slow clumsy, expensive pieces of over engineered rubbish.

Besides driving is fun, automatics take all the fun out of something and leave you with something so functional its almost Vulcan!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3310023 - 06/03/11 01:14 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Jedi Master]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
The "manual gets better mileage" thing is a myth that depends upon the skill of the driver. Around here I can always tell a manual driver by how the car rocks back and forth as they accelerate! I'd say less than half the people driving manuals SHOULD be.
I was able to drive my first 2 manual cars as smoothly as an auto, but when I inherited my mother's old automatic in college I was ecstatic. Finally no more foot-dancing and hand spastic rotations in traffic!

There is no "joy of driving" in Florida. The roads are flat besides overpasses, and those are all built so the trucks can drive them easily. I never downshifted for braking, I just stuck it in neutral. Corners are almost always 90 degrees at a light or stop sign. Turns are made at 15 mph tops. On the big roads you might have a "kink" of 10-15 degrees, but you won't feel the car change direction it's so slight.
There is no snow or ice to worry about, just water on the road, and that doesn't matter.
Unless you're driving at 3 AM, there's never less than 10 cars around you at a distance of maybe 20-30 ft, all of whom are on their damn cellphones (because they drive automatics), so unless you're a masochist you get an automatic to reduce the stress of driving in pretty much the only way you can.

Maybe if a nuke was dropped here there would be few enough cars on the road to make it enjoyable, but as I posted a few weeks back, we've seen an increase in population of 3 million people in the last decade and we have no new highways, just a few that were widened here and there. All the same roads now carrying a LOT more people.

Those of you who talk about how you have fun driving?
I hate you.

The Jedi Master

This is 100% my sentiment as well as to why I don't care for ever having a stick shift car.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3310024 - 06/03/11 01:16 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Madaboutsims]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Madaboutsims
wouldnt drive an automatic if you paid me, slow clumsy, expensive pieces of over engineered rubbish.

Besides driving is fun, automatics take all the fun out of something and leave you with something so functional its almost Vulcan!

If I want to be entertained while driving I just fire up one of my PC racing sims.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3310029 - 06/03/11 01:20 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Madaboutsims Offline
old time
Madaboutsims  Offline
old time
Hotshot

UK
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

If I want to be entertained while driving I just fire up one of my PC racing sims.

If you drove manual you would understand Adam. Theres entertainment, theres recreation. Then theres the simple pleasure of being in control of a machine. I find it most confusing as you Yanks love your guns etc for the reasons of the power and control etc. Well its exactly the same thing with a car. With a proper car you are the one directly controlling the machine, its a part of you. you have the power, you have the control.

PS, Adam, i might have to start calling you Vulcanmeyer :P

#3310035 - 06/03/11 01:25 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Madaboutsims]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
If you drove manual you would understand Adam. Theres entertainment, theres recreation. Then theres the simple pleasure of being in control of a machine. I find it most confusing as you Yanks love your guns etc for the reasons of the power and control etc. Well its exactly the same thing with a car. With a proper car you are the one directly controlling the machine, its a part of you. you have the power, you have the control.

If I owned a sports car and I lived in a low population area then I most likely would have a different mindset. Like Jedi Master, I also live in overcrowded Florida and I just don't see any possible enjoyment out of having a stick shift car where I live. It would just add more work and frustration.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/03/11 01:25 PM.

#3310064 - 06/03/11 01:58 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Madaboutsims]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA

Have you known any gun owners who don't take their guns to a range to fire them? Outside of possible antiques/collectors' items? They buy the gun, take care of it, and then just keep it in a box all the time? No?
Driving a car in Florida is the equivalent of that. Have you ever driven in downtown London? Imagine that everywhere, from when you leave your house till you get to work and back and when you have to go to the store. All the time, every place, never ending.

There's no joy in control of a machine if the machine isn't free to be used. There is an astonishingly low number of boat owners in Austria if you look into it. Same principle.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3310103 - 06/03/11 02:33 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Madaboutsims]  
Speedo Offline
Hotshot
Speedo  Offline
Hotshot

NC USA
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
The "manual gets better mileage" thing is a myth that depends upon the skill of the driver. Around here I can always tell a manual driver by how the car rocks back and forth as they accelerate! I'd say less than half the people driving manuals SHOULD be.

Yep. Around here it's always people who accelerate hard from a stop, then suddenly lose their acceleration and even start slowing down while they struggle to find the next gear. Forcing me to throw on the brakes half the time.

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

I learned to drive manual and I've spent a lot of time driving manuals. I don't drive for pleasure or to enjoy controlling a machine. I drive because it's required to get where I need to go.

#3310127 - 06/03/11 03:00 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
The only reason I would have a stick anymore is if I had a nice sports car. And that is not likely.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
#3310202 - 06/03/11 04:27 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
Noter Offline
Noter  Offline

Atlanta, GA USA
Loved my manual transmissions. Actually loved the cars without power steering too, but they were TR7 and MR2, so pretty small. When I had to move on to a car with an automatic it took me weeks to stop using my left leg on a clutch that wasn't there anymore. Horrible traffic here in Atlanta area, but I'd still choose a manual over automatic, especially if it was a sweet ride, not my 7 passenger minivan.

Last edited by Noter; 06/03/11 04:28 PM.
#3310218 - 06/03/11 04:53 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
Section_Eight Offline
Section_Eight  Offline

South Carolina
Hey Magnum, Did you head up to the Myrtle Beach area to buy that jeep? Conway Ford off highway 501 is where I roamed alot. College was there. I just noticed the dealership info on the left side of the jeep.

#3310320 - 06/03/11 07:09 PM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
NavyNuke99 Offline
One Man Wolfpack
NavyNuke99  Offline
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot

Raleigh, NC
OK, so here's another case for manual transmissions that just happened to me not half an hour ago.

I drive Hondas- always have- and the last three that I've owned have all had VTEC motors. Basically, that means that above a certain RPM threshold (usually around 6200 RPM), a different set of intake and exhaust camshafts come in to play, boosting power and torque for the last couple of thousand revs in the band (gotta love that 8200 RPM redline).

Just a little bit ago, I was entering the freeway from an entrance with an exceptionally short merging lane. As I was coming down the ramp, the driver in the far right lane, either from being completely oblivious or being intentionally malicious (either is possible in Southern California), sped up and refused to shift over to the left another lane to make way for me. With a dump truck behind him and maybe 50 yards to spare before either being run off the road or getting sideswiped by this guy, I kicked the transmission down a gear into the thick of the VTEC engagement zone, and with the last 25 or so HP and 20 or so ft-lbs of torque available, I was able to accelerate around him and into traffic.

Had I been in my old auto Accord, I may have been able to pull it off with the manual gear selector for the automatic transmission, but since I was only a "voting party" in that car the delay or possibility that the transmission's logic might have overruled my decision (because I would have bounced the engine off its rev limiter in two gears) it's unlikely I would have been able to avoid a collision. Additional control= safer, which is why you'll have to pry my stick shift from my cold, dead hands.

/off rant

" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
#3310726 - 06/04/11 07:58 AM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
I think at the end it's just a matter of taste. My father taught me ion a manual and I always drove a manual. I don't feel like more task to do or more things to consider, it just happens: you are at a certain speed in 3rd, and the next thing you know is that you are in 4th, just like that, without thinking about it. It doesn't really add any extra workload.

And yes, like NavyNuke99 said, controlling the amount of power that the engine is able to deliver at a certain speed is a great thing. When you know the car you're driving, you kind of know that at a certain speed, in a certain gear, you can get certain acceleration.

And, again a matter of taste, to me, nothing beats the joy of moving the stick, feeling the transition from one gear to the other... It just feels great, even when you have to be careful with your cigarette while you change gears. smile You kind of hope for a stop that requires you to change gears!

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3311069 - 06/05/11 12:32 AM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
.Wombat. Offline
.Wombat.  Offline

Texas
My first lesson at driving was on a stick, th' ol' "3 on a tree" in my Dad's work truck , at 13 on a desolate west Texas two lane road. the first vehicles I owned were trucks, all standards. Haven't driven or owned a manual in over 30 yrs now lol. But I still can drive one with no problem. Manual's back then were so much more common. And CHEAP ! I'd ruin the transmission on my ol' 65 Chevy truck and go get another one for 20 bucks exchange.And it took around 30 munites to swap it out lol. Aaahhh the good ol' days!

Last edited by .Wombat.; 06/05/11 12:34 AM.
#3311194 - 06/05/11 06:36 AM Re: teaching daughter stick... [Re: Magnum]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
I miss stick. I first learned on a '57 GMC Suburban that was missing the right hand side door. LOL!

I then drove a '63 VW Bug for years. Funny thing would happen when I switched to automatic. Took me week or so to quit slamming my left foot on the floor when I was trying to go after a light turned green.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.