Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3235044 - 03/15/11 06:12 PM Planning a center-stick build, any ideas?  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Hey guys! I'm planning to do a basic 'pit but this time with the center-stick configuration. I'm just putting this thread out to look for possible 'pit configurations (how the woodwork is layout).

What I basically want to do is have a layout that has the chair, throttle, stick, and front dash all together. The chair will probably be an old car chair that I can salvage, the "front dash" will hold my keyboard and Cougar MFDs, maybe a 2nd screen if I have one. I prefer for these to be one "setup" so that it is stable, though I may assemble with screws to be able to swap and mod later on. I've had a good look through these forums but have not really found one that appeals to me, maybe you've got other ideas?

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3235051 - 03/15/11 06:20 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
One of these years I'm going to build a ABC pit...

http://www.62ndfightingfalcons.asn.au/Re...74/Default.aspx

#3235074 - 03/15/11 06:50 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, but that's a side-stick configuration.

Also, this 'pit will be used with a TM Warthog using metalnwood's extension. This means the joystick mount will actually be below the seat height... now I'm deciding whether I'd need a curved extension or not.

- Ice
#3235794 - 03/16/11 04:22 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
Did you have a look at my WIP ?
It's somewhat simple to build, and can easily be modified with an instrument panel. I plan on adding one myself, with two 8" screens and the Cougar MFD's later on.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#3236042 - 03/16/11 08:51 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I've seen your WIP, yes, and I am thinking of a somewhat similar build design. The only major difference is that with the warthog extension, my stick base will actually be mounted BELOW the seat level, not above. So my concern is 1) do I mount it a bit forward and below so that the stick does not hit the seat or 2) do I find a seat with a cut-out or maybe make my own seat or 3) do I make a curved extension for my warthog?

Can I ask you though, what did you use to cut the MDF especially the curved areas?

- Ice
#3236063 - 03/16/11 09:10 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
Dachs Offline
Dachs  Offline

Denmark
Ah, I see.
I thought about making a cutout in the seat too, but I ended up just pressing the stickmount into the foam edge of the seat.
I think a cutout would be possible, atleast with the type of seat I have, as there is nothing but foam in the front edge. It might be a bit difficult to make it look neat afterwards though, but with needle and thread + some patience I think it could work.

As for the curved cuts, I just used a jigsaw with a sharp blade. It will take a bit of sanding to get a nice finish, but it's not that bad.

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
#3236070 - 03/16/11 09:19 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I see. Very nice work though. I think I'll design something easier to cut biggrin Still, I've yet to assemble my DIY "gear" over here so may be a few months. I'm also still contemplating on the seat-and-stick design.

- Ice
#3268084 - 04/12/11 07:46 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
toyojoe Offline
toyojoe  Offline

Germany, Hunsrück
Hi Ice
I`am building my centerstick DIY. It is an old Suncom f15(on the top) and an Thrustmaster HOTAS Stick as the bottom part.
My pit is for racing, flightsim and Ego-Shooters. (i´am still working on it)

Sorry this side is in German, but I hope I could help you.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50722&page=4

regards
toyojoe

Last edited by toyojoe; 04/12/11 07:47 PM.
#3268134 - 04/12/11 08:52 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Yeah, but that's a side-stick configuration.

Sorry, should have been more specific. There is no rule that Aker-Barnes Pit has to be side mount.

#3302988 - 05/25/11 06:14 AM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Ice,
I recently mounted my Warthog as a center stick in my pit. Dudley Simpit Center Stick

If you are going to floor mount it, just extend either the center PVC pipe so you don't have to mod the 'hog at all, or your can build an easy extension like I did. Dudley Simpit Extended and Offset Stick

You can occasionally find some commercially available stick extensions here and there, but I haven't tried any of them.

Anyway, just some ideas and info.

Good luck!
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
#3303004 - 05/25/11 07:25 AM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Be mindful that a mod like DudleyAZ's is about the only way of getting good results, with a center stick.
Meaning an extension of the base, not the stick tube!

I remember helping Kimchoc with a mod of his Saitek stick. He tried adding a curved tube to the stick and extending it way above the base. There were two major problems with it.
1. The springs designed for a joystick are WAY too weak to support the weight of the extension.
2. Extending the stick means proportionally increasing the stick "stir". You'll end up banging into everything! banghead

As a concession, he ended up drastically shortening the extension and building a platform, between his legs, to mount the base to.
It was better... but a base extension, with a stick like the Warthog (that has a small base footprint) would be the best course IMHO!

Unless you've got the big bucks, for an off the shelf center stick.

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#3303119 - 05/25/11 12:44 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
julian265 Offline
julian265  Offline

That's what I did. If the stick base was much lower, it would hit my legs when moved about the roll axis.

Another thing that you need to consider is the distance from the back of the seat to the stick - the distance needs to be comfortable even when the stick is fully forward (so you aren't leaning forward off the back rest). I ended up cutting into the seat base (also from a car), and setting the stick base about 120 mm closer than the seat previously allowed. Alternatively, use a seat that has a short base.

#3303201 - 05/25/11 02:17 PM Re: Planning a center-stick build, any ideas? [Re: - Ice]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Grizzly and Julian are dead on. When I modded my Cougar, I tried to floor mount it, and both issues came into play. I ended up replacing and augmenting the springs, and that only partially fixed the sloppy stick issue. It would take a full rework of the entire spring assembly to completely overcome this problem.

The stick stir deflection issue also played into it. Side to side wasn't too bad, but front to back was a real problem. With the Warthog, you have just enough height to the round base it comes on to get the stick above your legs, alleviating the need for an extension, although it wouldn't be hard to do say a 6"-8" one if you wanted. Anything longer than that and you will start to run into all of the issues.

Here is what mine ended up looking like installed.
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.