Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3295811 - 05/15/11 11:00 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: piper]  
Mongo99 Offline
Mongo99  Offline

Detroit Michigan
Lived in a downriver suburb of Detroit for 46 years. The city is a complete failure. It has a very small downtown area that people go to for work, sporting events, etc. and then go home. The rest of the city is awful. The local media is now in an uproar about a CBS Dan Rather report that covered the Detroit Public School systems failure. Detroit is at least a hundred years away from ever improving, because you can't ever say what the real problem is. It is not racial or political. It is cultural. And it is in deep. Generations of people (not all, of course, but the majority)who beleive everything is someone else's fault. Everything is owed to them. And what they don't get handed to them, they have the right to steal it.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3295816 - 05/15/11 11:01 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: JimK]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: JimK
Oh yeah, remember Jimmy Hoffa. China is is just taking all those jobs. Detroit and half this country are in ruins.

Yes, gave up American made cars this past year. Own a Toyota Avalon and Honda Odyssey.

Actually, it's a safe bet that those cars were built in the US in the South where they are RtW states.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3295817 - 05/15/11 11:02 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Mongo99]  
Timothy Offline
Hotshot
Timothy  Offline
Hotshot

Phoenix - Ft. Carson
Originally Posted By: Mongo99
Lived in a downriver suburb of Detroit for 46 years. The city is a complete failure. It has a very small downtown area that people go to for work, sporting events, etc. and then go home. The rest of the city is awful. The local media is now in an uproar about a CBS Dan Rather report that covered the Detroit Public School systems failure. Detroit is at least a hundred years away from ever improving, because you can't ever say what the real problem is. It is not racial or political. It is cultural. And it is in deep. Generations of people (not all, of course, but the majority)who beleive everything is someone else's fault. Everything is owed to them. And what they don't get handed to them, they have the right to steal it.

Yank the cash away and watch how fast that culture changes.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
#3295835 - 05/15/11 11:22 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Timothy]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted By: Timothy
Originally Posted By: JimK
Oh yeah, remember Jimmy Hoffa. China is is just taking all those jobs. Detroit and half this country are in ruins.

Yes, gave up American made cars this past year. Own a Toyota Avalon and Honda Odyssey.

Actually, it's a safe bet that those cars were built in the US in the South where they are RtW states.

Oh yes, I do know they were assembled in the US. But most of the parts come from Japan. I read the door stickers and
they provide that info.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#3295838 - 05/15/11 11:24 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: kludger

I wonder (and worry) for our younger generations if their job market will ever recover,
I guess it depends on how you define "recover". If by recover you mean a return to the way the job market was pre-2008 recession I don't see that happening any time soon if at all. The biggest most fundamental change is that the number of jobs where someone with a high school diploma can have what we call a middle class lifestyle is shrinking rapidly. It's getting to the point where a college degree now is the equivalent to someone having a high school diploma in the past.

As someone who graduated college in 2009, I can attest to that. What ticks me off is I did a lot of powerful internships that set me up with experience and connections post graduation (in Marketing, you either stand out or you wash out). Any other year I'd have had my pick of the litter in the market (and I worked DAMN HARD for that). But one by one contacts fell through. EVERYONE is either locked out, or can fill entry level positions with experienced people. Companies used to have positions just for entry level grads, so they could load the HR pipeline with legacy. Not anymore. Some days I feel like my degree was a waste of time, and no one should ever have to feel that way about education. frown

I'm just thankful my parents paid for my education. The rule in my family for several generations has been that the parents pay for the children, if those children agree that they'll pay for their kids. The problem now though, is all the kids that aren't as lucky as I am. The next market collapse? Student loans.

But Capitalism marches on, as it always will. I'm currently building one company in the energy sector while exploring another opportunity in gaming. Whats the worst that can happen, I loose my job? rolleyes

Last edited by aggressorblue; 05/15/11 11:30 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3295852 - 05/15/11 11:42 PM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: piper]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
When the child makes more money selling drugs, than their father working full time, everything quickly goes to sh&^.

That happened about 20 years ago in Detroit. Those drug dealing kids have grandkids of their own now. So you can imagine the values being passed along. The people who know better and either fighting the good fight against huge odds, or long gone.

#3295906 - 05/16/11 12:58 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Mongo99]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC

Don't know you Mongo99, but I echo your words and appreciate your post. Kinda says it all. Wasn't China, or crap cars.
It was getting something for nothing. And the expectation that it will always be that way.

Wonder when that changed? From the American dream where hard work will get you there, to they owe me because I'm here.

#3295935 - 05/16/11 01:41 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Mongo99]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA
Generations of people (not all, of course, but the majority)who beleive everything is someone else's fault. Everything is owed to them. And what they don't get handed to them, they have the right to steal it.

An attitude created and nurtured by the politics that have ruled that city for decades. Politics in which individual responsibility is replaced by a culture that looks to government to fix everything wrong in the lives of people by taking from those who create wealth and giving it to those who create nothing. When this is seen as normal, when this is seen as expected, when this wealth redistribution is seen by those on the receiving end as a RIGHT that they do not even have to work for then Detroit is the result.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
#3295963 - 05/16/11 02:49 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Dogsbd]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: Dogsbd
Generations of people (not all, of course, but the majority)who beleive everything is someone else's fault. Everything is owed to them. And what they don't get handed to them, they have the right to steal it.

An attitude created and nurtured by the politics that have ruled that city for decades. Politics in which individual responsibility is replaced by a culture that looks to government to fix everything wrong in the lives of people by taking from those who create wealth and giving it to those who create nothing. When this is seen as normal, when this is seen as expected, when this wealth redistribution is seen by those on the receiving end as a RIGHT that they do not even have to work for then Detroit is the result.

I do not know what you are talking about and I am not sure you do either.

I have known a number of hard working and proud people from Detroit who never took a dime in support in their lives. People who literally fought to save their neighborhoods and their families. I spent a lot of time in Detroit in the 80s and 90s when things were really bad. The city has been one industry town, that lost its major industry, like a lot of cities in America -- and a lot of pain followed.

#3295977 - 05/16/11 03:20 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Tarnsman]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA
Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
Originally Posted By: Dogsbd

I do not know what you are talking about and I am not sure you do either.

And I'm sure you think Mongo, who lived there for almost 50 years, also doesn't know what he's talking about. But it's your right to be wrong.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
#3295983 - 05/16/11 03:32 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: piper]  
Mongo99 Offline
Mongo99  Offline

Detroit Michigan
Tarnsman, I have known many, many, many people from Detroit that have never taken a dime of help. They have fought very hard for their homes and communities. More than they should have to in this country. All too often, they are losing.

#3295989 - 05/16/11 03:42 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Dogsbd]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Ditto

#3295991 - 05/16/11 03:46 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: Mongo99]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Mongo99,
Thank you.

#3295993 - 05/16/11 03:49 AM Re: Sad: Detroit's abandoned buildings [Re: piper]  
BLuDKLoT Offline
VETERANS-GAMING
BLuDKLoT  Offline
VETERANS-GAMING

Hemet, CA
Ya, it's crazy to think that Detroit went from what Kiss sang about, to what we see now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.