Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3295320 - 05/15/11 03:00 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Just Rise of Flight. It runs rock solid for me with all graphic settings maxxed, except no post effects/HDR (just because I think it looks better without). It's an awesome sim and I strongly encourage anyone interested to try it for sure. I started flying it as soon as it was released, and like CloD, it got a lot of flak when it came out for having been released in an unfinished state but IMHO it was miles ahead of this piece of work. And it is most certainly mature now, although patches do continue to come out adding content and making minor tweaks. And - imagine - the devs are very involved with and responsive to the ROF community. A post on the ROF forum (or here for that matter) asking a question stands a decent chance of being personally answered by the head of the dev team.

As of now I have tried 4 different beta patches in CloD, various different levels of graphics settings, 2 GPU drivers, and still no luck. Reinstalling DirectX also had no effect. With the latest 14413b patch and the graphic settings turned down pretty low, it seems to go longer before it crashes (like 5 minutes instead of 10 seconds), but it still crashes.

I don't think I'm going to bother going back to the old 260 GTX just as an experiment. If it doesn't work with my GTX 560 then it's out.

BTW my OP is inaccurate now too, the "verify integrity check" added the "Render=D3D10" line in my conf.ini. Crashes, of course, continued.

Thanks for all the help, guys. It's frustrating and disappointing but I'm feeling like I've sunk about enough time into this for now. I'll try again when they put out another patch.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3295909 - 05/16/11 01:03 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
simpliciter Offline
simpliciter  Offline

Hmm, overall it really sounds like an overheating or power supply issue to me, but that doesn't jive with the fact that you have ea 750 watt and I assume a fairly brand new system with no broken fans or giant dust bunnies. The fact that you can run ROF with everything on and it is smooth without crashing would probably make sense as it is just not as graphically intensive as COD..

I'm by no means a pro with how software works but I am pretty good with hardware. Sometimes fans can be dead without one realizing it, such as PS fans going dead without you noticing that can cause the PS to overheat and cause a lockup or shutdown. Barring that or a blocked GPU/CPU fan I am really at a loss unfortunately. I just wish you would play a few more games so we could narrow it down a little more.

Have you tried any intensive graphic benchmark programs such as FutureMark to ensure that they can complete without any problems?

Maybe just as an experiment if you feel like taking the time, you could try making a separate partition on your HD, reinstall Windows7 on it (don't even have to necessarily activate it if you don't want to deal with that).. and just install COD and nothing else to see if the problem remains. If not it must be related to some kind of software/driver conflict you have installed in your normal Win7 install.

Last edited by simpliciter; 05/16/11 01:10 AM.

Asus M3A78T, 450watt PS, Ultra mini tower case, Phenom 9550 (OC to 2.4ghz) quad, 4gb OCZ, Galaxy 450GTS 1GB,Logitech wireless mouse and KB MK550, Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Saitek AV8R joystick, CH Pro Pedals USB.
#3296585 - 05/16/11 08:37 PM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: simpliciter]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Hi Simpliciter, thanks for your reply-

I have not gone the separate partition/reinstall route yet. This is a new install of Win7 on a new HDD anyhow; all I've really done with it so far is install drivers, ROF, TIR, controllers, etc, make sure everything was running OK, and then install Steam & CloD and start trying to get it to run.

As I mentioned, my temps have been well within normal range on the GPU & PSU so I would think it's safe to assume those fans are working properly.. in regard to the PSU, I don't know how to monitor it but I can see that it's spinning right now anyhow, so if there's a problem there I guess it's intermittent or ocurring under load?

You are correct that my system is fairly brand new (and the HDD, PSU, 4 more gigs of RAM, and Win7 were istalled just over a week ago now; all other major components are new within the last 8 months). It's clean inside.

On your recommendation I DLd and just ran 3Dmark Vantage. Benchmark test ran without any problems and yielded the following results:

"Your result has the following problem(s) and will not be shown for example on leaderboards:: Graphics driver is not approved.

3DMark Score

17256 3DMarks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphics Score

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Score

Jane Nash

54 FPS

New Calico

50 FPS

AI Test

2258 operations/s

Physics Test

18 operations/s"

I'm not sure what to make of some of those numbers, but to my eyes the results look good. I am a bit puzzled by the "unapproved" graphics driver, as I am running WHQL 266.66 driver DLd from the Nvidia site.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by SYN_Speck; 05/16/11 09:06 PM.
#3300764 - 05/22/11 06:27 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
SYN_Speck Offline
SYN_Speck  Offline

Whitegrass, WY, USA
Well, in case anyone's interested, I think I may have gotten it (relatively) stable & playable, knock on wood.

I tried swapping out my PSU, uninstall/reinstall, new Nvidia beta drivers, new CloD patch and hotfix, no joy. But after a bunch more googling, long story short, I underclocked my GPU and that seems to have done the trick. It was not OCd in the first place. Stock speeds for the card (GTX560) are 822 core 1645 shader; by UCing it to under 700/1400 I am able to fly. I even tried it at 710/1420 and that was unstable. But at 699/1398 it works.

Wierd.

#3300770 - 05/22/11 06:54 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
DocW Offline
DocW  Offline

Glad it works now. Thanks for sharing the solution.

Michael

#3300804 - 05/22/11 09:31 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
robtek Offline
robtek  Offline

I would try to get a replacement card if the warranty is still on!
It seems CoD can be used to do a heavy duty test :-D

#3301269 - 05/23/11 01:11 AM Re: Trying to get it to run... [Re: SYN_Speck]  
Tiger27 Offline
Tiger27  Offline

Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted By: SYN_Speck
Just Rise of Flight. It runs rock solid for me with all graphic settings maxxed, except no post effects/HDR (just because I think it looks better without). It's an awesome sim and I strongly encourage anyone interested to try it for sure. I started flying it as soon as it was released, and like CloD, it got a lot of flak when it came out for having been released in an unfinished state but IMHO it was miles ahead of this piece of work. And it is most certainly mature now, although patches do continue to come out adding content and making minor tweaks. And - imagine - the devs are very involved with and responsive to the ROF community. A post on the ROF forum (or here for that matter) asking a question stands a decent chance of being personally answered by the head of the dev team.

As of now I have tried 4 different beta patches in CloD, various different levels of graphics settings, 2 GPU drivers, and still no luck. Reinstalling DirectX also had no effect. With the latest 14413b patch and the graphic settings turned down pretty low, it seems to go longer before it crashes (like 5 minutes instead of 10 seconds), but it still crashes.

I don't think I'm going to bother going back to the old 260 GTX just as an experiment. If it doesn't work with my GTX 560 then it's out.

BTW my OP is inaccurate now too, the "verify integrity check" added the "Render=D3D10" line in my conf.ini. Crashes, of course, continued.

Thanks for all the help, guys. It's frustrating and disappointing but I'm feeling like I've sunk about enough time into this for now. I'll try again when they put out another patch.

Just a thought, have you tried re-installing .net framework, it's on the disk, also my setting in config.ini is D3D10_0, although I am running an 8800gt, which isnt 10.1 compliant so that may be why?

Ah looks like I should have read the rest of the posts, glad you have found the possible cause, as much as some of the posters on here think everything that goes wrong must be caused by the game, it is often not the case.

Last edited by Tiger27; 05/23/11 01:16 AM.

III/JG11_Tiger
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.