Hop To
#3289580 - 05/08/11 01:38 AM One from the rumor mill  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
And if it's true, whoohoo

Anyone who follows the BIS forums/sites knows that BIS is doing their pre-release community guinea pig experiment/puzzle deal that they do for an upcoming product announcement. Well, someone came across this in the latest set of NVIDIA drivers...

And one more on top, the makers of Outerra mentioned sometime last year the makers of a mil sim had approached them about using/developing their engine. If it was BIS, could be very interesting indeed.

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3289583 - 05/08/11 01:50 AM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
ya i've been following the "hacking" as well, tis intresting, 3rd arma? i aint gonna get my hopes up, but whatever they got planned it sure sounds intresting!

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3289586 - 05/08/11 02:04 AM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
interesting, but I could of sworn they said no more ArmA a while ago.

#3289689 - 05/08/11 08:08 AM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Magnum]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

yup they did say they werent gonna do one. Which is why my thinking its just a stand in name for a new expansion. Naturally of course, i'd love to be proved wrong and see Arma3 with loads of new bells and whistles. One of the BIS guys has a talk on monday about enviroments, and with the ball destroying wall giff made out of the hack emails .. things could be getting pretty darn intresting!

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#3289697 - 05/08/11 09:15 AM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

just thinking out load with the outerra stuff in mind

what we have =

Map of europe with what looks like british naval bases listed .. outerra can do the whole in one go (like FSX), so maybe europe is the theather of ops?
outline of a sub, with astute as a name .. we have a sub named astue, so british naval bases+british sub .. outerra can do underwater
the good ol ball destroying a wall ASCII animation .. which is always used in pyhics/ballistic demonstrations .. so new pyhics/ballistics with the outerra engine
persian hackers and spec op chappy .. possible theme? spec ops hunting down a hacker group/terroist group which leads to a merry chase around europe??

prolly dream land .. but say they announce this month .. then release say Q4 2012 .. possible. Maybe they want to test the engine out useing take on helicopers first then go into the inf side??

Last edited by Meatsheild; 05/08/11 09:16 AM.

#3289982 - 05/08/11 07:51 PM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Unless it's to do with that helo sim they are planning?

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3290177 - 05/09/11 12:34 AM Re: One from the rumor mill [Re: Meatsheild]  
VonBarb. Offline
Earth-bound misfit
VonBarb.  Offline
Earth-bound misfit
Hotshot

The Dust,Pandora
Originally Posted By: Meatsheild
just thinking out load with the outerra stuff in mind

what we have =

Map of europe with what looks like british naval bases listed .. outerra can do the whole in one go (like FSX), so maybe europe is the theather of ops?
outline of a sub, with astute as a name .. we have a sub named astue, so british naval bases+british sub .. outerra can do underwater
the good ol ball destroying a wall ASCII animation .. which is always used in pyhics/ballistic demonstrations .. so new pyhics/ballistics with the outerra engine
persian hackers and spec op chappy .. possible theme? spec ops hunting down a hacker group/terroist group which leads to a merry chase around europe??

prolly dream land .. but say they announce this month .. then release say Q4 2012 .. possible. Maybe they want to test the engine out useing take on helicopers first then go into the inf side??

That's the most sense made by any post I've read on the subject in the past week. Just a couple of observations if I may :

- Can any engine accurately model 21st century Europe for an open-world, land-based combat sim/game ? Might work for a flightsim, but you've been to Tchernogorsk, you've seen the stutters. Now picture London...
- Would any commercially available system be able to run it ? Again, remember Tchernogorsk back in 2009...
- If the bad guys hail from Iran, a country with a coastline, and the good guys are highly mobile sea-borne spec ops operatives trained for undercover work, with a next gen sub at their disposal, why is the map not Iran ?
- Someone on the BIS forums pointed out an interesting fact about Spukayev (the man who, according to the fake hacking of the Arma2 website, was responsible for hiding the chest in which the paper map of Europe was found)
!! there be spoilers !! :
Click to reveal..
He's the guy you collect the incriminating documents about the Chedaki from in the SP mode of ArmA2

which creates a strong link in the 'Armaverse' (listen to me sounding like a Sci-Fi nerd... Guilty biggrin ) between ArmA2 and whatever they're cooking up.

But the submarine is maybe what puzzles me the most. How does a nuclear sub fit in a game like ArmA ? Can you imagine the poor chap driving the sub around in MP while his squadmates are having fun doing SBS badass stuff in continental Europe... Can just one guy control an entire Sub ?

Unless... With that new Helo sim, BIS is trying their hand at simulations, and they might not stop with helicopters. What very popular simming genre has been thoroughly neglected by developpers or ruthlessly porked by editors (Yes offence Ubi) for years, and would represent thousands of potential customers for whoever ventures into it ? SUBMARINE SIMS

Man, I see it now, I can see the light, it's so... warm ! biggrin

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Unless it's to do with that helo sim they are planning?

Don't think so. The new Helo Sim will be centered around commerical activity according to what I've read. You'll mostly be working to develop the family business, with just a couple of missions in the military. But I could be wrong. Still Outerra would be perfect for a helo sim.

Just my 2cts. Really getting excited about this...

Cheers

Nico

Last edited by VonBarb.; 05/09/11 12:36 AM.

"Et s'il ne pleure personne, que Dieu nous le pardonne "

ArmA2/OA - RoF - FSX

ASUS P8P67 Pro Motherboard - Intel i5 2500K @ 3.3Ghz - 8Gb G-Skill DDR3 1866Mhz - Gainward GTX660 Ti Phantom II - Win7 Ultimate 64bits - Saitek av8r

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.