Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3283561 - 04/30/11 06:43 PM Week 3 Thoughts  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

So about a couple of weeks of play in - enjoying things. I know lots of people are disappointed for many (many) documented reasons here, but although trying as hard as I can, I'm still having a good time. Before COD I used to play IL2 every couple of days, but so far I haven't been tempted to start up the ol girl since. I've got two others new games to fire up, but COD is so quirky to keep bringing me back.

My conclusion so far is that enjoyment of COD is directly proportional to your expectations you bring in to it. If you really enjoy an immersive single play campaign or a nice smooth gaming experience then it's not there yet - just walk away for now. The gamespot 4/10 review is fine and (pre-patches) quite fair a score if you consider yourself a typical gamer who doesn't want to be bitten to death by bugs or patches.

If you enjoy a bit of study-sim'ing or some on-line combat then it's definitely worth considering. While the FM, CEM are still works in progress (as is the historical accuracy in places), there is enough to fiddle with to take up hours of time. The close quarters combat with AI is engaging, even if they do start to defy physics at high AI levels. The MP works as well as IL2, probably better on full-switch servers in terms of immersion. The graphics can be absolutely glorious but still need many optimizations, especially for high-end cards. On a three year old PC, I run at 1920x1080 and am happy with how it looks/plays compared to other sims I have. I still love the cockpits.

The release was executed as if planned by a committee of drunk clowns - it was epically bad. There is probably an arcade cabinet somewhere playing a game called 'Disastrous Releases' and that if you see the High Score table someone has entered 'C O D' in #1. The patches are coming frequently and are helping.

Reading the forum the last couple of weeks I get the impression that people are pretty much settled into their various camps. Some clearly would love the sim even if it all it did was reformatted their boot partition and killed their dog, while others would rather see Oleg arrested as the thought of COD being successful gives them physical pain. Everyone else is pretty much in the middle I imagine, but just post here a lot less.

If you are a fan of WWII, aviation and of flight sims then I don't understand how you can be unhappy we have COD. We get so few new releases that I'm determined to enjoy the ones we get. I can understand being unhappy with bugs, missing features that you wanted or feeling that your sim-du-jour is somehow being diminished by this one (actually, I don't get that really but suspect there is a 'axe grind' thing going on) but at the end of the day we have what we have.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3283590 - 04/30/11 07:18 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
WernerVoss Offline
WernerVoss  Offline

I'm making shiny baubles.

Asus P8P67 Pro Mobo
2500K CPU @ 4.5Ghz
Antec H2O Kuhler 950 Water Cooler
16Gb DDR3 DC RAM @ 1600mhz
EVGA GTX780 Classified GPU
Dell U3014 30" Monitor
xFi Titanium HD sound
Corsair Force 250Gb SSD
Corsair RM850w PSU
W7-64
INTJ
#3283593 - 04/30/11 07:23 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: WernerVoss]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: WernerVoss
I'm making shiny baubles.

Always with the baubles smile

I think having a strong interest in the period is the thing that makes us look over the acne-scars and into those lovely eyes. As I pounced on poor nats (completely unreasonably too), it's like the WW2 specific era things is the whole point for me - but if you take that out of the equation then we're just left with a half-finished shadow simulator smile

#3283598 - 04/30/11 07:33 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Positronic Offline
Positronic  Offline

Australia
I didn't have many expectations for it, I hadn't played IL-2 till after COD, I really only do the quick missions but they are fun enough. The damage model is probably the biggest draw for me.

I will do the campaigns when the games a bit more polished (or at the very least I don't have to edit files to get all the missions to work)

System - I7 970 : GTX 560 ti SOC : 4gb Corsair ram : Seasonic 620 watt : Samsung bx2450 : extreme 3d pro
#3283604 - 04/30/11 07:50 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
911dan Offline
911dan  Offline

I see it as Il-2 for FSX fans. Lots of aircraft systems and failure modes to tinker with. Above all, whatever it is, it is not a game. I'm truly mystified by the complaints about alleged performance problems. I was even enjoying the much-maligned campaign until it disappeared with the latest beta patch. I suspect for every complainer, there's a 1000 guys like me happily killing hour after hour admiring the scenery and vehicles and A/C.

#3283678 - 04/30/11 10:09 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Frankyboy Offline
Frankyboy  Offline

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
............................ The MP works as well as IL2, ......................

you ever tried a COOP mission ?

that was the way i enjoied IL2 the most the last 10 years.

anyway, im glad you enjoy CoD.

JG53*Frankyboy
Flugzeugführer 8./JG53 "Pik As"
HQ_III./JG53
#3283698 - 04/30/11 10:36 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: Frankyboy]  
FearlessFrog Offline
FearlessFrog  Offline

Originally Posted By: Frankyboy
............................ The MP works as well as IL2, ......................

Missions are a MP weak side for COD - I think people are still just feeling it out, plus each patch is still fairly random on if it'll work or not.

Had an on-line kill today on SYN, and I basically won it by managing the engine better to get an energy advantage. I've had better fights on IL2 for sure (flying, gunnery), but the sheer workload in COD means when something goes right it feels really good and perhaps closer to reality. Feels quite different to IL2 for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I love both, plus don't think COD will replace any other sim but perhaps start to find it's own niche.

#3283727 - 04/30/11 11:20 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
nats Offline
nats  Offline

Pocklington UK
Thought about answering this thread in detail and tried a few paragraphs but then I thought what's the point? Its all be said before. To summarise I ain't playing it since I bought Rise of Flight. Still waiting for CoD to become fun. Flight models and graphics alone dont do it for me not that CoD has even those aspects right yet!!

Last edited by nats; 04/30/11 11:21 PM.

"It's life, Jim, but not as we know it!"

AMD Phenom II X6 (6x2.8Ghz Six Core) 12GB DDR3 RAM Nvidea Ti550 1Gb Graphics Card MS Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2 Joystick Windows 10 64bit

Games that I am playing:
Elite: Dangerous
Making History: The Great War
Strike Fighters II: Europe
Hearts of Iron 3
Fallout 4
Waterloo
#3283742 - 04/30/11 11:40 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Lixma Offline
Lixma  Offline

Londinium
I've shelved it....it does nothing but annoy me, unfortunately.

The current patch just doesn't work unless i'm running 1024*768 windowed mode and i'm tired of waiting for the patch that will kick start my interest.

The things I dislike about CoD far out-weigh the things I do like at the moment; and the things I do like are largely cosmetic or peripheral. The last few times i've fired CoD up I have barely spent five minutes with it. The reasons range from the hideous landscape to the crash-happy online experience. And so, CoD will be updated as and when patches arrive but i'll be surprised if it isn't months before it gets any serious usage.

#3283841 - 05/01/11 02:30 AM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
catar Offline
catar  Offline

Perth Western Australia
I've got 40 hours in COD and most of it is just tweeking the game and not really enjoying it.MP side is OK and I suspect when the little things are sorted like custom ammo selection and proper missions released it's going to be blast .I just can't get over the landscape and buildings look .Buildings are like 2D objects for me or they look like brown see containers up until they pop out few hundreds meters in front.I'm sure this game is going to get better but until then I might just fly MP now and then and stick with ROF as my primary flight sim

#3284007 - 05/01/11 11:19 AM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Not sure how often I have to say this...put building on very high detail and max amount..has barely any FPS drop...stops popping etc..

As for the Sim...Well as usualy I've hit my slightly bored wall...I got it playing better than some...even on a mediocre system...but variety is the spice of life and I need some more vareity...I fifnig=shed the Alleid campaign (yawn) and enjyoed one mission in the German campaign...these campaigns are a flop..and the pre hype about them was purely that...hype.

Still in the end it will come good and I will fly again and enoy it...but at the minute abit bored...waiting on Combat Mission Beyond Normandy.

#3284216 - 05/01/11 04:36 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
catar Offline
catar  Offline

Perth Western Australia
Quote:
Not sure how often I have to say this...put building on very high detail and max amount..has barely any FPS drop...stops popping etc..
maybe on your system but not on mine.I tried many combinations of settings in game and in Nvidia control panel and still nothing.It only started 2 patches ago but

#3284256 - 05/01/11 05:40 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: Frankyboy]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted By: Frankyboy

IL2's multiplayer is light years ahead of COD in all aspects - except for one thing - spawn stutters - where they are as bad.

There's still so many issues with COD multiplayer as to make it unplayable but for the most basic gameplay.

I can only say the multiplayer code is currently in an alpha state and i'd be suprised if we saw it fully functional in less than 6 months. More realistically I expect about another year before it's to the same reliability and standards as IL2.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#3284258 - 05/01/11 05:44 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Week two now over for me. Steam is telling me I've had about 10 hours of game time. Feels like more! (Not sure if that is a good or bad sign...)

My new system is mid range:
A. INTEL Core i7-2600 3400MHz, 2GB RAM, Geforce GTX570 - 1280MB, Windows 7 HomePremium 64bit

But I also originally installed and ran on and older PC up until a few days ago, which gives a good comparison
B. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 3.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512MB, Vista 32bit

GFX

System A: Nice. Can fly with most settings high. I turn grass off, as it seems pointless in a flight sim. Comparable to Wings of Prey without the strange washed out hues of that sim. Love the cockpits. Love the damage effects. Externally aircraft look very IL2. Don't like: flak (it looks like a squid f@rt). Clouds (cotton balls straight out of IL2), laser tracers, sounds are boring/strange (especially guns).

System B: After the patch last weekend, surprisingly OK once the first 10 seconds of object loading is over. Ended up with most settings on medium, but with trees, grass and buildings turned low/off. Easily plays up to 6 vs 6 in a dogfight. Stutters a little on bomber intercept missions but still playable. Just fine for testing out the various kites, getting a feel for the dogfight AI, and practicing landings, takeoffs, and engine management.

AIRCRAFT

Surprisingly few playable. Mostly just the usual Stukas, Spits, Hurricanes, Tiger Moths, Bf110s and Bf109s. Nice to have a Blenheim and flyable Heinkel and Ju88, but otherwise, because the Italian kites are of no interest to me, doesn't offer much more than BOBII or WoP (yet...no doubt more flyables will be unlocked soon, at a price.) I was hoping the Defiant and Beaufighter would be flyable at launch. Can't wait to get into the cockpit of a Sunderland, or Wellington. The choice of AI or non flyable kites is...interesting. The Beaufighter made it just in time to see some night fighting at the end of the Battle, so probably worth including, as are the Defiant, Gladiator, Walrus, Sunderland and Wellington, or the He115 and FW200. But the Anson and Bf108? I'm guessing they share the exact same flight model, so were easy enough to produce, and were included in this release because the devs know no one would pay for them as add-ons!

GAMEPLAY

The quick missions have 'saved the game' for me. They are simple, adaptable to enable the player to create almost any scenario, and easy to get into when you want a quick dogfight. It's great that you can adjust the weather and time of day, number of combatants and type of aircraft. For those who don't like fiddling with the full mission builder though, it would have been great if the QMB also enabled you to select altitude, and location. There's plenty of play left for me in these stock quick missions.

Single missions? Pathetic. There should have been ten or twenty well crafted single mission based on some of the dramatic historical events of the day. As it is, the community will have to create them.

Campaign? Pffft.

Online isn't my thing, so even though it sounds like it is buggy and complicated, I don't care.

AI

This seems good enough in some places and just silly in others. I've had some great 1 vs 1 dogfights against 109s which use their vertical energy well, and stay high, and RAF fighters which drag the fight down low and use their turning advantages well. But then I've seen RAF fighters sitting behind bombers attacking them from six o clock doing endless barrel roll after barrel roll while firing. Whole flights of fighters dive into the turf in perfect formation. And single Blenheims under attack that just sail on in a straight line like a target drone rather than try to evade their attacker. I'm sure this will get ironed out once the more urgent issues have been addressed.

AHEAD

Still plenty to explore, not just in the quick missions, but also in the mission builder which offers unlimited potential. WoP shipped with no only a crippled quick mission builder (no more than 1 aircraft on the player side) but also no full mission builder. BOBII similarly has suffered from lack of content because although it comes with a great quick mission builder, the missions can't be shared, and there is no full mission builder for the community to use.

Considering it's only a few weeks old, I think patience is and will be rewarded with this one.

[Linked Image]
#3284658 - 05/02/11 02:30 AM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
ricass Offline
ricass  Offline

Last edited by ricass; 05/02/11 02:33 AM.
#3285199 - 05/02/11 04:12 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: catar]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Originally Posted By: catar
Quote:
maybe on your system but not on mine.I tried many combinations of settings in game and in Nvidia control panel and still nothing.It only started 2 patches ago but

You do have to have shadows off though...sad I know but it's one or the other...I fly shadows off..

#3285208 - 05/02/11 04:18 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
RogueRunner Offline
RogueRunner  Offline

South Africa
When are they going to fix the lasers mounted on these kites?

Guns have a point and click interface.

Gun free South Africa?
Suck my Glock!
#3285271 - 05/02/11 05:10 PM Re: Week 3 Thoughts [Re: FearlessFrog]  
maclean525 Offline
maclean525  Offline

I'm personally OK with waiting till it's in a more playable state before I buy it but my concern is more for the long-term viability of Maddox Games. With the release being nothing short of a complete disaster I can only hope they don't get shut down.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.