Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#328239 - 01/03/07 11:52 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Everything is possible ;\) Could probably use a similar sort of overlay to the Hokum periscope and night vision.

But I am not going to implement it, as I wouldn't use it myself. But gotcha seems to at least have started something, maybe you could convince him to do it.

#328240 - 01/04/07 11:12 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Kassie Offline
Kassie  Offline

the Netherlands
@Gotcha: Would you like to implement it?

To check if more people are interested in it, maybe a poll would be nice. To get some support, or not.

Quote:
Everything is possible ;\) Could probably use a similar sort of overlay to the Hokum periscope and night vision.
I see, of course.

#328241 - 01/04/07 11:19 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
I don't think voting really matters.
It's developers using their spare time to implement what they themselves find interesting, this isn't a democracy :p

#328242 - 01/04/07 11:23 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Kassie Offline
Kassie  Offline

the Netherlands
I say my prayers...

#328243 - 01/04/07 02:26 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
AlphaOneSix Offline
AlphaOneSix  Offline

Florida, US
Quote:
Originally posted by arneh:
Vote with your dollars! (Well, not you.)

#328244 - 01/04/07 11:08 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
If you are wanting realism then you shouldn't really see the monacle on the screen at all. It is like wearing glasses, you don't really notice the frame.

I reckon the HUD is fine as it is. In real life, the monacle is so close to your eye that you don't get chance to even see the outer edges. I'm not a pilot by the way but have used their NVG's and HUD glasses before.

If the monacle overlay is deemed essential then the outer edges should really blur into the outer edge of our display screens with only the 4 small corners having normal visibility.

Bad example I know but:-

[img]http://mysite.orange.co.uk/dazbarnes/untitled.JPG?0.4944660391192883[/img]

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#328245 - 01/05/07 11:58 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

Enschede, The Netherlands
Quote:
It's developers using their spare time to implement what they themselves find interesting, this isn't a democracy :p
That is not true of course, there is a difference between programming for yourself on your own computer, and uploading your stuff to a public CVS for general distribution. If you don't like voting, do not share your code :p

#328246 - 01/05/07 12:03 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Kassie Offline
Kassie  Offline

the Netherlands
Like this?

#328247 - 01/05/07 12:04 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Kassie Offline
Kassie  Offline

the Netherlands
[double post]

#328248 - 01/05/07 12:08 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Kassie Offline
Kassie  Offline

the Netherlands
@Gotcha: Would you like to implement a different shaped monocle?

#328249 - 01/05/07 12:15 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by gotcha:
Quote:
That is not true of course, there is a difference between programming for yourself on your own computer, and uploading your stuff to a public CVS for general distribution. If you don't like voting, do not share your code :p
I don't quite understand what you're saying, but because I like to share what improvements I make for my own sake, I will have to implement whatever features the majority thinks I should make?

If so I don't agree. It's my spare time, so I choose which features I want to work on. I'm of course open to suggestions and can very much be influenced by others, but in the end it's my decision which ones I choose to spend time implementing.

(Exception being bugs I've myself introduced, I do feel an obligation to fix those).

#328250 - 01/05/07 05:31 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

Sorry I am not expressing myself clearly. You have a right to change whatever you want, in whatever crazy way, that's fine. Everyone has been doing that and it keeps the game alive.
My problem is that I cannot avoid any of these changes lately, and play the game as I want it, because none of them are optional. The game is slowly turning into your private view of what it should be like. Imagine I don't like the new sounds, I cannot turn them of. Or maybe I liked the old style radar in the apache but its gone now. People simply have different tastes and one of the strengths has always been to listen to that, otherwise it would have been dead in the water a long time ago.

#328251 - 01/05/07 07:47 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by gotcha:
My problem is that I cannot avoid any of these changes and play the game as I want it, because none of them are optional.
That's not true, several of my features are optional (e.g. engine startup, g-force headmovement, manual laser/radar control, new night vision etc.) or you won't notice the difference if you don't use them (PFZ, autorotation etc.).

But I try not to add too many options for trivial things. It makes the code more complex, slower to write and understand, and not the least, it introduces more bugs. I'm sure at least half the bugs I've made are in features I haven't tested because I don't use the options where the bug becomes apparent. And the more options the more impossible it becomes to test a new feature with all of them.

So sometimes you just have to be the benevolent dictator and make a non-optional change which is generally for the better. If the change does not change difficult or gameplay significantly I might prefer to just make it non-optional. That has mostly been the case with the instrument mods where I've made something more like the real thing. Not really more difficult, just different.

But someone will always prefer the old behaviour.

Quote:
Imagine I don't like the new sounds, I cannot turn them off
Bad example, I didn't make the new sounds, I just made the first release where they were a part. I would have made them optional if I made them, and made sure EECH continued to work without them. And it still annoys me that they have to be part of the exe for it to work. Just doesn't annoy me enough to change it \:\)

Quote:
maybe I liked the old style radar in the apache, its just a game after all.
That's the sort of minor change I prefer not to make options for. Something has changed, yes, but it shouldn't be any more difficult or change gameplay in any signicant way.

Quote:
The second thing is maybe more my problem: most of the changes you made are undocumented in the code. It becomes very hard to track down bugs because you are working on 6 projects at the same time (and introducing bugs at the same rate as improvements...).
I generally don't make the comment for every place in the code I change, which some seem to do, no. But the information is in the CVS if you care to look. You can fairly easily see which files are changed, and using CVS annotate you can see who changed each line in the file, when they did it and their comment for why they did it. So the information is there, but maybe not so straight in your face as with a comment for every place.

Anyway, I'll stop pissing people off by making changes, or because the sim is still different from LB2. I'm not motivated for this anymore. So I'll stop doing source code edits.

Maybe I'll get motivated again sometime later, but for now I'll just release 1.8.2 with bug fixes (and maybe a 1.8.3 if there are still significant bugs). But don't expect any new features from me any time soon. At least not public releases.

#328252 - 01/05/07 09:14 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Austria
That would be a great shame

Nobody says that there's got to be one EECH version (but of course that would be preferable from a user's viewpoint). We can always fork.

Mr. Zorg: If ya want something done...do it yourself!!
#328253 - 01/06/07 09:15 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Andreas Offline
Andreas  Offline

Sweden
I'll second to that Retro.
Arneh, I really enjoy everthing you have done for EECH so far. Please continue!

Gotcha, I think you should reconsider your point in this, as well as use your words more carefully.
Arneh has done so much for this game and community since he entered the stage, and this it not worth it.

K8NXP-SLI, AMD 64 3200+, 1024MB DDR400, Maxtor 200GB, Gigabyte 3D1, TM Cougar, SIMPED-F16/C
#328254 - 01/06/07 10:36 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
collig Offline
collig  Offline

I have only just started playing EECH again after having found these brilliant modifications for it. PLease dont stop Arneh and gotcha (or whoever does this greatr work) just as i get back into Heli flight sims I love what you have done with the Longbow and PZM's etc please do not stop now.

#328255 - 01/06/07 10:58 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
gotcha Offline
gotcha  Offline

arneh, these are just my opinions and you are absolutely free to ignore them.
If I have offended you or stopped you from doing your thing I sincerely apologize, you make great modifications that are obviously well regarded by everybody. I simply think I have the right to make remarks in a forum like this, and you certainly have the right to do with them what you want. So make your own choices, I am just one of many fans and I felt the need to voice my opnion, is all... ;\)

you are right about the sounds, my mistake...

(you may notice that I had already deleted the remark about the code because it wasn't relevant)

#328256 - 01/06/07 11:52 AM Re: Questions to Arneh  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Just to clarify, I did not make my decision because what gotcha said in this thread. It's something I've come to realize over several weeks. I'm just not motivated for this. It's not been as much fun as it used to be. And it was not caused by one single thing (that said, hearing that the changes you make pisses people off is not very motivating).

So I'll at least take a break once 1.8.2 is out.

I might get motivated for more changes again sometime. Maybe in a few weeks or months. Or maybe never. Who knows.

#328257 - 01/06/07 12:18 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
GrizzlyT Offline
GrizzlyT  Offline

Sterling Heights, Michigan
Arneh - You're certainly due for a break but your loss to this community would be a serious tragedy! \:\(

I hope we all can help to "motivate" you again. If not, thanks again for everything you've given us.

(BTW - Are you open to contract work?)

Grizzly's Comanche Simulator
"Fear is the mind killer. - Frank Herbert"
#328258 - 01/06/07 01:14 PM Re: Questions to Arneh  
Fretless Offline
Fretless  Offline

England
Arneh- Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your hard work which in my humble opinion has been outstanding .
I hope your break is a short one !!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.