Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23
#3242795 - 03/23/11 03:42 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit *** [Re: citizen guod]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
She grumbles as she pets her Warthog HOTAS... wink

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3247284 - 03/26/11 10:12 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Obutto Ozone Sim Racing Cockpit Review #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kd4RMttM6Y

Review covers just the racing aspect so some of you may not be interested. Using the acrylic top and bolting that sucker to the wheel base (which I understand some people don't like) really solves left/right wheel positioning. Matter-of-fact, I never even noticed the pint he brings up. WRT the monitor mount, I'm probably going that route. The big arse Viewsonic from my review crapped out (it was 6+ years old and was replaced as our TV) before I commissioned it for Obutto duty. I have a new 27" Asus that is higher resolution. Then came the problem. I use a second monitor for Teamspeak and PDFs. I don't like the three headed expanded approach and yes I've tried it before on other computers. So it looks like the new Obutto monitor mount allows the center and left mounting, then I'm set. I've had hell figuring out how to mount that second monitor. Then I can finish the second article.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3257248 - 04/02/11 07:41 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
My Obutto arrived and I spent the better part of last week assembling and then shifting stuff around to find something that worked for me. This is just phase 1 of development and I will be adding stuff to in order to get it to where I want it. Some people had asked about the transition between flight and fps games so I thought I would post now while a lot of stuff is not in the way to talk about how I'm doing things which may help answer some questions that people have.

First, let me say that I am incredibly happy with this pit. Others are correct. It's *solid*. Built tough and looks very, very good - even in the sort of naked state that I have it in. It is also comfortable. That seat. Wow, that seat. I'm very broad shouldered so I was concerned about how the seat wraps around you. No problems with this one at all. I was concerned about how easy it would be to put together. Dead simple. Really. I didn't get the acrylic table. I feel that it would have just gotten in the way for how I will have my pit set up when I have finally added all the components. I actually think that the lack of the acrylic table in the end was a very good choice and likely has made switching configurations much easier for me. That may be some thing that some people may want to consider.

So let's talk about those configurations. This first shot shows the pit in "flight" mode.

As you can see, stick and throttle and keyboard off to the side. The keyboard is mounted immediately behind the post for the stick. The small table in front was just there to show other people what it looked like. I intend to fly without it because I will have something else going in that space in my final cockpit setup.

So when it's time for FPS, I loosen all knobs, rotate the throttle outboard slightly, reach down with my right hand and pull the stick mount out of it's bracket-tube and place that on the floor. Then I swing the keyboard tray around and that's it. I may choose to slide the seat back a couple notches but extended playing will determine that. It really is easy and takes between 5-10 seconds. Yes, that's it. Changing back to flight mode takes about the same time. It really could not be more simple. This next shot is the FPS configuration.

Again, very simple. Sadly my shot does not show enough contrast so you can see the large mouse area still left over. I'm using the SteelSeries Merc Stealth which is a beast of a board and I still have ample room for the mouse. As I said, switching back takes about the same time.

But what about driving? That's where the small forward table comes into play. Most times it will be off and I'll have the wheel just attached to it. My intention is the put the rudder pedals aside, put in the driving pedals, and then slide in the table with the wheel attached. I can't see that taking more than 20-30 seconds. I don't have a picture at this point because I have not unpacked my wheel yet.

So that's what I have for now. Today I will be making a space for it in my CIC (Combat Interactive Cellar). Then over time I will be purchasing and installing the other components. It's important to have a solid base to start with and the Obutto fills that roll perfectly. I've really got nothing to nitpick on it (not that I'm an experienced reviewer).

One last thing. For Canadians I can highly recommend the official distributor GetGadget.ca. I was very pleased with the turnaround time. I could have had it even sooner but Purolater does not do pickups on the weekend. I ordered it on a Friday evening and it got to my place in southern Ontario by Thursday.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#3257268 - 04/02/11 08:00 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

thumbsup

Welcome to the club Corsair8X!

Half the fun in the cockpit is getting it "just-right" for each individual.

It has a near infinite series of variations depending on how and what you want to play.

#3257422 - 04/02/11 10:27 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

True, but it took me a long time. That's one thing that should be said again. You won't get this together in a day. You *can*, but you won't. You will be spending a lot of time trying this, then that. It took me an hour just to find that perfect setting of the platform for my pedals. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not - it's all a function of how curious you are.

I will be buying another flight sim accessory package though. As your article states, it comes with two platforms. I found the one that was more pan shaped was perfect for my stick - nice and low on the sides. I tried it on the other side with my throttle and that platform makes the throttle perfect. So I'm going to buy another set to get that pan-shaped one again - this time for my throttle. I'll then turn one of the other ones into a drink holder smile

My g/f tried sitting in it and also agreed that it was really comfortable. She looked at it as she sat there and asked when I was breaking out the driving stuff because she wants to use it for driving sims which she likes. This might be the only dark cloud over the cockpit - I might need to stock up on chloroform in order to use the 'pit when I want to wink

Oh yeah, and @Ghost and @Hoplite:
jawdrop incredible setups.

Corsair8X

#3257534 - 04/03/11 12:21 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Corsair8X]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Corsair8X
True, but it took me a long time. That's one thing that should be said again. You won't get this together in a day. You *can*, but you won't. You will be spending a lot of time trying this, then that. It took me an hour just to find that perfect setting of the platform for my pedals. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not - it's all a function of how curious you are.

Bingo. I'm still futzing with my setup. One bit to go -- mounting the second monitor.

#3257770 - 04/03/11 08:08 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Would be nice to buy the (triple) screen stand separately, so I can dump the desk and hope a Warthog centre-mount option will be added to the future versions of the chair. Dunno if that would require a recess in the seat.

#3258017 - 04/03/11 02:09 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: JAMF]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Nice job there Corsair8X!

Originally Posted By: JAMF
Would be nice to buy the (triple) screen stand separately, so I can dump the desk and hope a Warthog centre-mount option will be added to the future versions of the chair. Dunno if that would require a recess in the seat.

JAMF, as you can see in my posts, I'm flying with a center mounted stick. Plenty of room, and no need to mod the seat. I realize I'm not flying with a WH HOTAS, but I'm sure it'll fit just fine.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3258033 - 04/03/11 02:26 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: 531 Ghost]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost
JAMF, as you can see in my posts, I'm flying with a center mounted stick. Plenty of room, and no need to mod the seat. I realize I'm not flying with a WH HOTAS, but I'm sure it'll fit just fine.

Got it. thumbsup

Last edited by JAMF; 04/03/11 02:27 PM.
#3258183 - 04/03/11 05:10 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: JAMF]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Originally Posted By: JAMF

This photo is not my setup, but you will see that someone is already doing *exactly* what you wish to do. I think it's time for you to get out your credit card wink
Your dream
More pics and a write-up/review from this person

Last edited by Corsair8X; 04/03/11 05:11 PM.

Corsair8X

#3258306 - 04/03/11 07:00 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Dmd_Fulcrum Offline
Dmd_Fulcrum  Offline

Almost identical to my own setup (I use a side stick mount rather than a center mount for my Warthog stick).

Just a heads up.....I find I am always tweaking my setup in one way or another so be warned if you are a tinkerer this thing is great but it gives you such flexibility it may drive you bonkers! ;-)

I'll post some new pics soon of my latest "enhancements".

Fulcrum of = The Damned =

#3259391 - 04/04/11 04:22 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Great pics, and thanks for addressing the FPS/flying conversion. There's a very good chance I will buy this, once I am in not in a state of flux (house hunting and moving in w/ my GF in the interim). Thanks again.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3261360 - 04/06/11 07:28 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Hi there, I just registered in the forums after seeing this thread.

My Obutto is on the way and I'm currently in the process of selecting the right screens to start with 3 screens right away. I've done a lot of research so far, but with my rig not here yet, I can't figure out some geometric details about this thing.

The way I see it from the pictures, the triple mounts are not aligned in terms of depth. Meaning that if you place them all in a line, the outer screens would be farther back than the center screen, because the pivot point of the additional mounts is behind the center screen. So to make the outer screens perfectly touch the center screen, geometry-wise it's a pretty much fixed situation, the angle would not allow a big range of adjustability if one wants the screens to align perfectly. Or am I missing something here?

I see Hoplite has mounted 3 27" screens on his rig - I want to do the same, but I'd like to use different monitors. I'm pretty much set on the Asus VE278Q models, they offer all the features I need at a very reasonable price point. AFAIK the Viewsonics Hoplite uses have 3 pairs of screwholes on the back, one 200x100mm or two 100x100mm VESA screwholes next to each other. So he is able to mount the outer screens offset on their respective mounts - I won't be able to do so, because the Asus models don't offer this feature. Will they fit nonetheless? Without their stands, they are 643mm wide and only 40mm thick. Due to this flatness I'm also concerned whether they will limit the angle of the outer mounts to a very flat one.
Not being able to have the screens turn inwards would be a big drawback for me, because I need to place the cockpit into a corner, and having the screens almost straight would be a big waste of space.

Hoplite - at what angle do you have your screens mounted? And would your setup be doable without the offset screwholes on your screens?

I wish I could simply sit that one out, but my preferred screens are somewhat rare here in Europe, so I order them now or won't get them for another two months or so. If that thing would be here already, it would be so easy, but no... wink

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3261786 - 04/06/11 03:42 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Capt_Hook Offline
Capt_Hook  Offline

Originally Posted By: guod
Yes, you can use the keyboard tray and the HOTAS together, but I haven't figured a way to use the Plexiglas tabletop with the keyboard tray and the HOTAS. I am using the Plex, the keyboard tray and the G27 wheel together for racing and for shooters. I just leave the wheel on the edge of the

My two cents. Obutto is much better than the Playseat. The Playseat is nice, but the Obutto is short on sizzle and makes up for it with steak. Playseat uses some flashiness, but it is not built as durable as the Obutto. Again, my opinion and I'm sure there are those who will disagree.

Something I was going to do for the next article...a flow diagram showing what works with what out of the box(es), and what you can custom fabricate.

First question to ask yourself... will I use this for flight, racing or shooters? Or what percentage of each? Ghost is a flier primarily and only occasionally drives or plays shooters. I tend to do all three but favor racing. Ghost's setup reflects his emphasis on flight. While his setup is super, it wouldn't work as well for me.

Because the Obutto has such as strong base to start from, using some creativity, taking some time to think through what you want it to do, and some handiness with a drill and screwdriver, provides a multitude of configurations.

Money is on hand, so now to make the decisions about what to buy. One question on comparison: in your above post, you're of the opinion the Obutto pit has better build quality than the Playseat. I've got a basic Playseat for driving games on the 360 and while it's serviceable, I'd be inclined to agree that for the money the playseat could be a bit more robust. The Playseat Flight Seat, however, is the competitor I'm considering. Have you looked at that model, and if so would you still conclude the Obutto pit as superior in terms of strength and build quality? The Flight Seat is quite a bit different than the various racing versions.

I do wish Obutto offered a product version that ditched the monitor mount framing entirely.

Thanks for keeping up with this review, it's been incredibly informative. Also thanks to Ghost for providing the many pictures of a flight-based arrangement for the Obutto.

Hardware: Asus Sabertooth Z87 - Intel 4670K @ 4.4 - 16GB RAM - EVGA Titan - Old Asus 26" 19x12 LCD - bunch of drives.

Sim Toys: Warthog - 8cm Simpit Hog extension - TIR5 - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device rudder pedals - Obutto R3v
#3261900 - 04/06/11 05:42 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Capt_Hook]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Capt_Hook
Originally Posted By: guod
Yes, you can use the keyboard tray and the HOTAS together, but I haven't figured a way to use the Plexiglas tabletop with the keyboard tray and the HOTAS. I am using the Plex, the keyboard tray and the G27 wheel together for racing and for shooters. I just leave the wheel on the edge of the

My two cents. Obutto is much better than the Playseat. The Playseat is nice, but the Obutto is short on sizzle and makes up for it with steak. Playseat uses some flashiness, but it is not built as durable as the Obutto. Again, my opinion and I'm sure there are those who will disagree.

Something I was going to do for the next article...a flow diagram showing what works with what out of the box(es), and what you can custom fabricate.

First question to ask yourself... will I use this for flight, racing or shooters? Or what percentage of each? Ghost is a flier primarily and only occasionally drives or plays shooters. I tend to do all three but favor racing. Ghost's setup reflects his emphasis on flight. While his setup is super, it wouldn't work as well for me.

Because the Obutto has such as strong base to start from, using some creativity, taking some time to think through what you want it to do, and some handiness with a drill and screwdriver, provides a multitude of configurations.

Money is on hand, so now to make the decisions about what to buy. One question on comparison: in your above post, you're of the opinion the Obutto pit has better build quality than the Playseat. I've got a basic Playseat for driving games on the 360 and while it's serviceable, I'd be inclined to agree that for the money the playseat could be a bit more robust. The Playseat Flight Seat, however, is the competitor I'm considering. Have you looked at that model, and if so would you still conclude the Obutto pit as superior in terms of strength and build quality? The Flight Seat is quite a bit different than the various racing versions.

I do wish Obutto offered a product version that ditched the monitor mount framing entirely.

Thanks for keeping up with this review, it's been incredibly informative. Also thanks to Ghost for providing the many pictures of a flight-based arrangement for the Obutto.

It's tough to tell from the pictures alone how sturdy and adjustable the Flight Seat is in comparison. From a visual standpoint, it looks to me like the same thing the Obutto offers if you didn't couple the front and back sections of the Obutto. The back half of the Obutto works fine in a similar configuration to the Flight Seat, for similar or less money. Take a look at the front/back section in my article: http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_173c.html I can't tell from the description of the Flight Seat, but I question if there is as much adjustability in the throttle and stick positioning as the Obutto.

#3262380 - 04/07/11 03:32 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Dmd_Fulcrum Offline
Dmd_Fulcrum  Offline

Mhe_at

The mounts on the obutto slide outward so the should work just fine....the only issue being the wider the monitors used the less of an angle on the side mounted monitor....that being said I find mine work just fine even if the angle is not as sharp as it would be with 24" monitors.

Btw - I almost bought the ASUS monitors you mention....

#3262883 - 04/07/11 03:04 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Thanks for the answer, Hoplite!

May I ask what the angle is between your center screen and the two outer screens? I calculated the ideal angle between the Asus screens with angular functions and ironically it would be about 50 degrees if one were to sit 70cm (27.5 inches) away from the center screen. I highly doubt this is possible, because the arms of the outer screens would interfere with the center screen. Well, my Obutto should arrive next week, I'll see it then. For me, the angle is critical for space considerations, because up to 45 degrees, an increase in angle means I can place the cockpit farther in a corner, saving space in my living room.

What made you go with the Viewsonics instead of the Asus screens?
I'm just afraid that I might shell out a lot of money for something I'm not completely happy with afterwards.

Greetings from sunny Austria smile

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3263086 - 04/07/11 06:14 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Dmd_Fulcrum Offline
Dmd_Fulcrum  Offline

I have had a lot of good experiences with viewsonic's products.....ASUS not so much. As for angle, I need to measure but it isn't 45 degrees.....and it does take up a lot of space.

#3275365 - 04/20/11 06:29 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
hoarmurath Offline
hoarmurath  Offline

Nantes
I received my obutto last week, have been enjoying it since. The only problem i have is : i own Saitek pro flight rudder pedals. And they don't fit, they are too wide. The pedals themselves take a lot of room, so once it is on the pedal tray, either they can't go full back without touching rear tubes, or they can't go full forward without touching front tubes. I found only two solutions this far, either put them on ground, so they have enough room to use full movement, or remove the top pads, those that can be adjusted. Their support is much more narrow, and so it won't touch the tubes. Not very comfortable, but better than nothing. So yes, using Saitek pro flight rudder pedals is a problem.

I'm still very happy with the obutto, now i have a choice to make, either stay with "not so comfy" Saitek pro flight rudder pedals, or switch to CH ones.

Using the G27 was no problem at all.

#3275847 - 04/21/11 07:05 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
You could also use a G940. Simpeds also don't fit, they are about as wide as the Saitek combat pedals, which won't be able to use their whole movement range even when put on the ground.

My setup is almost complete now, I still have to do Hoplite's frankenpedals mod (got the Bodnar controller already) and get a Warthog stick.

Page 5 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.