Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3264558 - 04/09/11 12:08 AM iPhone: Apache 3D Sim  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apache-3d-sim/id428845277?mt=8

An Apache sim for the Iphone was just released. I barely played it but initial impressions tell me it's awesome. Intuitive tilt controls with onscreen collective and rudder controls. I plan to look at it in more detail but for $2.99 I don't think you can go wrong giving it a try. Check it out!

I posted a link in this thread but no one seems interested ( http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3252666/iPhone_Games_Anyone.html#Post3252666 ). Amazing what the iPhone can do!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3265816 - 04/10/11 11:58 AM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Looks nice, great-looking cockpit view! Now all I need is an iPhone...

#3265844 - 04/10/11 12:42 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
AD Offline
Hotshot
AD  Offline
Hotshot

South East Asia
The pit is a dead ringer for Arneh's pit with Aeyes texture upgrade.

I hope I'm wrong.

Cheers

Judge, jury and executioner of Tricubic's art department.

Follow Combat Helo's development on Facebook
#3265955 - 04/10/11 03:21 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I guess you could say that but at the end of the day, there's surely only so many ways of doing the Longbow cockpit. Some are bound to look the same!

#3266721 - 04/11/11 12:09 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Flexman Offline
Flexman  Offline

Leeds, England
I have no vested interest in this, but compare the two side by side, the textures are the same. As they say in programming circles, there are many ways to skin a cat but you only get to choose one.

Kudos to the guy for making something half decent on that platform.

#3266912 - 04/11/11 04:35 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Wow hope the guy didn't use someone's work for his own. In terms of gameplay it's pretty slick for an Iphone app. Controls are pretty basic you have rudder, collective, pitch/roll, machineguns and rockets. The Pitch/roll use the accelerometers in the phone whereas the rudder, weapons and collective have onsreen buttons. Missions are pretty basic with the first few covering basic training like landing, refueling and basic weapons use. Later missions have you attacking terrorists and the like. My real opinion is this game is the closest thing you will get to DCS Black Shark on a phone or portable, and the price is very fair. The creator has mentioned he plans an update for hellfires, multiplayer, and some other updates soon.

#3266975 - 04/11/11 05:29 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Fillbiker Offline
Fillbiker  Offline

There is no model of cockpit. It is just simple 2d image, made from real photo textures & some photoshop made textures. Some swiches and buttons are used from airplanes cockpit photos and re-worked to look better on such a small screen. I don't know in which format Ayes cockpit's or textures are made, never used them, but I don't think it could be used for something like this. I think that if you will make 2d cockpit or it's texture of ferrari f430 (for example), someone will be able to make it too...even better one I guess. But that's the real life, no theft.

#3266999 - 04/11/11 05:57 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Fillbiker are you the dev behind Apache 3D? If so great work, and look forward to updates. Is there any way you can add an auto hover mode? My thought is if you had autohover mode in the targeting view, the pilot can remain stationary and pick targets at a distance. Another good thing would be adjustable sensitivity on the controls and some sort of waypoint heading (if possible). All ideas I've been having but something to think about. In all a very convincing sim for an iPhone app and lots of fun.

#3269792 - 04/14/11 02:18 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
Excellent!!! Bought it, love it... so rare to see more serious simulator for the Iphone. Hope it will put a bit more stuff in a future Apache sim 2: side views, replay, possibility to direct the FLIR alone (without to steer the helo)..., missiles, etc...

+++
- A SIM ON IPHONE!
- Flight dynamics and handling (in sim mode)
- well done general gameplay
- graphics

---
- a map or a bit more explanation on the target would be good...9especially in some later missions)
- side views and a map are really missing
- a speed indicator?
- no missiles (hellfire or hot)

Spring chicken to sh!tehawk in one easy lesson

PSN/XBL: Guynemer27
WarThunder/STEAM: Guynemer27
EA/Origin: Dude27
Project Cars: Dude27
#3269926 - 04/14/11 04:30 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Yes a speed indicator! Waypoints would go a long way, but he did mention that hellfires and other updates are coming soon. Multiplayer and a better HUD was mentioned before but I can't find any info of it online now.

#3270024 - 04/14/11 06:20 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
cool, more is always better! yep

#3270132 - 04/14/11 08:00 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
For sure! I know this is an Iphone game and not a proper PC flight sim but given how many people have iphones and considering this is SimHQ I'm surprised there isn't a lot more interest in this app. Hope some folks give it a chance, it's definitely worth the $2.99!

#3270188 - 04/14/11 08:54 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Fillbiker Offline
Fillbiker  Offline

I'm still working on this project, offcourse airspeed will be added, working compass and more and more... first update will come in May I hope.
Now I'm working on HUD color change, HUD compass, some better textures, new & much better Hi-res cockpit, ingame tutorial for newbies and few other things. I thougt about minimap, but no idea how to implement correct. (I don't want arcade looks).

Last edited by Fillbiker; 04/15/11 11:58 AM.
#3270221 - 04/14/11 09:24 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: Fillbiker]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: Fillbiker
There is no model of cockpit. It is just simple 2d image, made from real photo textures & some photoshop made textures. Some swiches and buttons are used from airplanes cockpit photos and re-worked to look better on such a small screen. I don't know in which format Ayes cockpit's or textures are made, never used them, but I don't think it could be used for something like this.

What do you take us for? If you look at the cockpits you can see that it's the exact same cockpit as my Apache cockpit for EECH with Aeyes' textures. Just compare:

with:

If you had just asked in advanced you probably would have gotten permission to use it (well, the cockpit, I can't answer for Aeyes). But instead you just use it and claim you made it yourself.

It's a shame you alienate part of the sim community by doing this, since this sim otherwise looks like a fine piece of work, and should be commended!

#3270248 - 04/14/11 10:00 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Fillbiker Offline
Fillbiker  Offline

Hi, Arneh. I never used your model or Ayes texture.(even never tought about something like this!). I checked many available photos & screenshots on the www to make my own. Sure this pit picture isn't so clean and detailed like yours and Ayes. I think there is no tens or hundreds pits of AH64, that's why I must paint many textures from what I saw on the net. I'm really sorry that this is almost identic, but I swear I didn't use anything from you or Ayes hard work! Anyway, I've almost done completely new pit, that is better for this small screen. If I ever though about possiblility of use your model in my own project, contacting you and any other creators would be the first thing.

I'll ask you one question - Do you want me to remove this sim until I have new pit with new textures done? I'll do this if you wish... I made this game because I'm big sim fan many years and really don't want to kill it in community eyes because of this. It's on you...let me know, this is no problem.

Last edited by Fillbiker; 04/14/11 10:33 PM.
#3270333 - 04/14/11 11:26 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
While I'm certainly not accusing you of stealing another persons work, When you look at the two comparisons above, it looks very suspect. With all the tens or hundreds of pics out there to research it would really difficult to achieve the same results by accident or coincidence. That's just my voice of reason talking, maybe it'll be good to remove until you have the cockpit textures sorted out. It sounds like you're a good guy with good intentions, with that said regardless of who's right or wrong just replace the texture. It will be hard to argue your case with textures that are identical especially since Arneh/Ayes work is so highly regarded and well known in the Heli sim community. Not changing will do you harm and like Arneh said alienate you from an otherwise supportive community.

Last edited by HitchHikingFlatlander; 04/14/11 11:29 PM.

#3271091 - 04/15/11 07:06 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
Can you guys reach some common sense deal, Simulation is SO rare on iphone...

If you want, Fillbiker, I'm a professional Graphic designer, I can design you another great 2d cockpit from a real one for free.

#3271156 - 04/15/11 08:13 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: SHar82]  
Fillbiker Offline
Fillbiker  Offline

I would really appreciate it, if you wish to help. I'm working with help of one graphic guy on new one,tomorrow it would be done and looks good. However, there always be many similar details to other 2d pits if we want to keep it real. In the future I would like to make a 3D pit, but it must be low-poly because of performance. But idea is to have 3d pit with lookaround and zoom with fingers swipe & pinch. But it is very far right now.:( I'm normaly employed and all of this I'm doing only after work,every night and still learning something new. I never was chopper fan, I flew OpenFalcon only,but last year I'm fascinated in chopper simulation. Maybe it's a surprise that I never played EECH or any other chopper sim. Only Black Shark. This is probably a bit mistake, because if I ever tried EECH, I would probably meet with pit, that is the point of interest in this thread.:( I only worked with screens and few real textures when I created it.:( Now it's a shame and I can't sleep until I will finish the new pit. I hope I will be able to make this sim better and more detailed in every possible aspect, but be patient please. And sorry for my english, there is really no time to learn new language.

#3271228 - 04/15/11 09:22 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99
SHar82  Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Toronto, Canada
no problem, just send me the specs (what you want, size, etc... ) I will see what I can do

#3271284 - 04/15/11 10:20 PM Re: iPhone: Apache 3D Sim [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
No worries on language skills a lot of english speaking folks can't even get it right lol.

But you really should address the cockpit texture with Arneh and Ayes. I remember a completely unrelated game developer getting pretty upset when someone ripped off one of their maps and called their own. Despite the fellow being confronted and that the map was a carbon copy.

I have another suggestion that I'll repeat in the H-Elite thread as well. In the future would it be possible to make a PC version of the game utilizing the iPhone as a wireless controller? Another game I have Star Wars Trench Run 2.0 has this feature and it's really cool. If you go to www.StarWars.com its under the games section or more specifically http://www.starwars.com/games/playnow/trench_run/ . Just a random idea that can set your app apart from the rest!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.