Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3252666 - 03/30/11 11:33 PM iPhone Games Anyone?  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Now I know knockitoff we're a sim minded community but who here has played some decent iphone games. I recently gave in to technology and bought a new 3GS model and I'm amazed at the apps and games for this thing. First off I found some Star Wars games actually I downloaded the lightsaber app which is 90% corny 10% kick ass. In a limited fashion you can build a lightsaber, an avatar of yourself and then a saber shows up on the screen that makes noises when you swing the phone around (not a game but fun). Then I came about Falcon Gunner which is a port of the arcade classic. Its a static shooter that seems pretty basic (it is) and you basically gun against waves of tie fighters and other objects like asteroids and the occasional boss like Slave 1 or darths TIE. Its actually quite satisfying for the price and makes a great time killer. It even has an augmented reality mode that utilizes the camera and overlays the enemies on the screen. Pretty fun shooting TIE's coming out of my brothers head!

Next I read about Star Wars Trench Run 2.0, its a very simple game with basically three modes and not much else. Many people complain of the lack of content but at its current price $2.99 its a great time killer and compliments Falcon Gunner very well. You have a few different levels: Escape from the Death Star where you gun in the falcon. Defend the Y-Wings where you again gun in the falcon and protect the bombers. There is Dogfight which takes place above the Death Star. And the infamous trench run itself which consists of shooting gun towers, avoiding obstacles and of course sending a proton torp down a badly designed exhaust port (what were they thinking!!!). I think its great fun and great use of the tilt controls, not to mention it has cockpit/3rd person view, and slowmo force mode for carefully lined up shots. Another perk is you can play the game online using the iphone as a wireless controller (after you purchase a .99cent app within the app on the phone), that last bit is really cool if you have a proj. screen like I do!

The last one I'll mention is Real Racing 2, a Gran Turismo Light racer (if you will). It has great physics plenty of tracks and up to 16 cars on track at once. Also has cockpit view and great tilt steering controls. I say Gran Turismo since it plays like a mini version of that in which you have a career mode and upgrade cars and purchase new ones. Its also on the Ipad (that sports HD GFX). Theres a good reason that its hands down the best racing game for the iphone or ipad, and I highly recommend it!

So anything cool you'd like to share? Do we need an iPhone game forum for great time killing action?

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3252680 - 03/30/11 11:44 PM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
X-Plane for iPhone is remarakably good in all its iterations. X-Plane Extremes, X-Plane Apollo, X-Plane Heavies and so on. Stunning stuff on a phone smile

The best game I have played on an iPhone is Trainyard. It's a great puzzle-solving game where you have to make different-coloured trains reach their destinations. Sounds inane, but it's great fun and very challenging at times. A bit of a mind-bender, and a very good time-waster smile

http://www.trainyard.ca/

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#3253002 - 03/31/11 07:02 AM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
XPlane? For real?! I'm sorry for thinking you were messing with, I just googled it!

I looked at the train game but I ended up getting a table tilt style game instead.

I'll give a link when I find it.

I looked at another

#3253115 - 03/31/11 10:40 AM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
tomcat Offline
tomcat  Offline

Halifax, NS, Canada
If someone didn't mention Real Racing 2 I was going to. It's awesome, especially considering it's for a phone. Doesn't seem that long ago I was playing a 2d top down perspective shooter on my flip phone, this is miles beyond that.

#3253171 - 03/31/11 11:26 AM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
monsterZER0 Offline
monsterZER0  Offline

+1 for Real Racing 2. There's a million other iPhone games that I love, but what they did with RR2 is just absolutely amazing. There are PC games I still play that aren't that good-looking or polished.

#3254575 - 04/01/11 02:44 AM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Yeah RR2 is an amazing game for a phone. I wish someone would make stipped down XWing vs Tie Fighter, you'd think it'd be possible to make a simple version. I know its not that simple but man would that be cool.

XPlane looks amazing too but personally I think for what you get its too pricey. Each version is $10 and with something like 7-8 different XPlane apps thats way more expensive than the PC version in which you get a ton of content for roughly $30, it doesn't make sense. $5 dollars would be more appropriate IMO, Real Racing cost me $6.99 and you gets a bunch of cars/tracks and really innovative features. All that said I'll probably still drop the cash on XPlane Carrier, it's just too cool to practice traps on an iphone!

Here's the link for the table tilt game I was talking about yesterday. New age wooden labyrinth!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marble-maze-ultra/id300917417?mt=8

EDIT: Oh and for those that played the SNES RPG game Chrono Trigger that ones coming to Iphone too. I've never liked RPGs but always dug that one for reasons unknown. Should be out sometime this month or next.

Last edited by HitchHikingFlatlander; 04/01/11 02:46 AM.

#3264367 - 04/08/11 08:29 PM Re: iPhone Games Anyone? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Came across this one today, looks really cool and will give my impressions!

http://itunes.apple.com/app/apache-3d-sim/id428845277?mt=8

Yes an Apache sim on an iPhone!!!!! Definitely worth checking out!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.