Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3252630 - 03/30/11 11:01 PM Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help!  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi all,

I love WWI flight sims, as a matter of fact, I just ordered OFF: H & H for now.

I have RB 3d and Win 7 64 bit along with Glidos and the Promised Land superpatch and STILL
can't run RB 3d. Here are my issues:

1. The game goes into a windowed mode
2. The game, when I fly a "Fly Now" mission and die, has video/graphic corruptions where the
screen turns into a psychedelic array of colors. I can still barely make out the background.

Please, what should I try to do fix this OR should I just stick with OFF: H & H and ditch RB3d as being
too old for my machine?

Update: I read the "Can RB 3d run?" thread and applied some fixes BUT...When I die, the game hangs and then I have to kill the
program from the Task Manager. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you very much. wave

Last edited by Stefnuts; 03/30/11 11:16 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3254504 - 04/01/11 01:31 AM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

Hi all,

Well, I reinstalled RB 3d and it does run as should be.

I had to "Run as administrator" & set the color to run in 256 color mode.

That's it!

I don't know what the Promised Land patch will do but I'm unwilling to screw up my sweet install.

P.S.

Does anyone know where I can get the "official" patches for this game to run on Windows 7?
I tried updating Multiplayer with no success under the 1.07.8 patch.

Thanks for your GREAT help everyone.
What a sub-forum........ nope

#3267429 - 04/12/11 02:19 AM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
Wailwulf Offline
Wailwulf  Offline

To Stefnuts:

For some of us with Win7, Promise Land 1 Graphics are incompatible, the game will crash upon exiting the game (which means you can never finish a SP player mission). It has to do with the cdustom color palette PL1 uses. Promised Land 2 terrain uses the stock color palette and is a fairly good looking terrain. It is which I use. I have the PL2 terrain files uploaded here:

http://cid-e196374a237958b4.office.live.com/self.aspx/RBFILES/PL2PLv1.rar#resId/E196374A237958B4!191

But you need to make sure you remove all of the PL1 files (including lowres.vol) or the game will crash.

The patch (1078) only effects multiplayer. If you wish to play multiplayer, you can get a patched exe for multiplayer from here:

http://cid-e196374a237958b4.office.live.com/self.aspx/RBFILES/Baronmmpexe.rar

Hope this helps

#3267461 - 04/12/11 03:08 AM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
Smosh Offline
Smosh  Offline

Gisborne, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Stefnuts
Thanks for your GREAT help everyone.
What a sub-forum........ nope

You have to realise that most of us have moved on from this game and so don't check in regularly. That attitude will certainly get you no help.

Rabbits, break right and climb.
#3272112 - 04/17/11 04:11 AM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Smosh]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

@Smosh,

I do apologize for my "off" comment.

Sir, you've got to understand that the last WWI flight sim I've played was RB 3D and I loved it..still do.

I understand what you mean. I just saw the hunger here for WWI era sims and thought I found a similar
desire for RB 3D with other people.

Thank you for your understanding.

#3272561 - 04/17/11 10:09 PM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi there

From one long-time RB3D fan to another, you might like to try First Eagles; it's now a much better sim than when first introduced, and anyone who dismisses it because of its original state and the lukewarm reviews it got at the time, is missing a real treat that no WW1 flightsim fan should pass by:

http://www.thirdwire.com/project_fe2.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0OWVLY1o8

FE2 (or the original FE/FE Gold, with the latest patch) looks and runs great and while it doesn't have some of the trimmings of RD3D, I find it every bit as enjoyable and immersive, not just because the visuals of the planes, terrain, skies, airfields, and towns are so good, thanks to the latest patch (and even before you throw any of the many free add-ons into the scales), but also because I find its SP campaigns every bit as immersive as RB3D's.

I just played my third mission in a Cambrai campaign with Jasta 17 flying the Albatros DV, leading a flight of 8 (you can choose to fly in many historical units with authentic squadron markings - eg Jasta 5 have their green tails - and from many historical aerodromes) out of le Cateau. The weather was good for November but there was quite a lot of cloud about. The mission was to support the troops in the Lines (similar to the equivalent RB3D mission) but on arrival, all I could see was some ground combat going on below and some white 'Archie', low down, which must have been the British shooting at some of our close support planes (FE correctly displays Allied AA fire as whitish explosions, German as black - brilliant!). As I was orbiting and scanning the skies higher up, three planes suddenly emerged from a canyon in the coulds about half a mile away to my right and slightly below. At first I thought they looked like more Albatrosses. But as they turned and nosed up towards us I could see their wings had a distinct dihedral - SE5s! I hastily gave the signal for air combat and our formation broke up as I turned into them. After a wild free-for-all, trying to keep track of the SEs as they twisted and turned in and out of the clouds, I managed to bag two, while one of my comrades got the other. I took some visible hits on the fuselage and another Albatros was also damaged but we all made it back to Le Cateau.

The FE campaign system isn't perhaps quite as well-executed as RB3D's but it conveys a similar impression of fighting in a combat zone where you never know what you might encounter during your patrol, but with vastly better graphics and AI. The more I play it the more it draws me in - it's more than good enough for this Red Baron fan. the planes are a joy to look at, inside and out, especially the Camel, they are right up there with the very best. Dogfighting is exciting, tense and sometimes downright scary, much more so than RB3D. And you don't need a super-computer or an expensive graphics card to run at high settings. FE2 is available at Thrid Wire for a very good price; I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by 33lima; 04/17/11 10:11 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#3273760 - 04/19/11 01:00 AM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
Stefnuts Offline
Stefnuts  Offline

@33Lima,

Thanks for the info.

One thing though: How is the multiplayer online?

Thanks

#3275359 - 04/20/11 06:27 PM Re: Can't run RB3d on Win 7 64 bit, even with the PL superpatch..Help! [Re: Stefnuts]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Haven't tried MP with FE as I'm strictly SP. FE has MP but FE2, like I think all the other 2nd generation Strike Fighters titles, has no MP. If the posts on the virtual squadrons forums over at combatace is an indication, MP isn't all that popular with SF players, probably one reason it was dropped for Gen 2. SP is pretty good tho, the AI is quite good in my experience, a good deal better than RB3D or OFF Phase 2.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.