Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3248237 - 03/27/11 06:35 PM Yet another Suncom Restoration :)  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
I know there are a few threads dedicated to various efforts with this hardware, but as general rule, I think we call agree a sim forum can never have too many threads devoted to super-awesome HOTAS restoration/modernization biggrin

Ok, so I'm finishing up the process of ordering a Suncom HOTAS from a member here, which by the time I'm done will leave me with two F-15 sticks (bought one on amazon for $40 the other day!). One of them is a Talon , and the other seems to be the "talon light" which has a big red button in place of one of the hats. I'll also have the talon throttle.

I plan to make this a build/research thread, and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated smile As a general background to my skill set, I know my way around a soldering iron, and am decent with taking apart/reassembling products like this.

My general idea is to use the Leo X-board to run the devices. That said, my questions are:

1. Can I run both A stick and Throttle on one board, or will it run out of switches? (side note, I plan to use my G940 pedals for rudder, leaving them attached to the 940 stick itself, which will be used for RoF and CoD). For example, on the main page for the board, it looks like it only supports one hat-switch (although I'm sure I can assign other hat switches as buttons)

2. Are all of the current pots/switches/hats/etc "plug and play" compatible with the board?

3. Are there any drop-in replacement switches/pots for any of the aforementioned suncom devices? The buttons on the Talon stick are showing age, as are the hats, so replacing them is on the to-do list. New pots can't hurt if they are easy replacements as well.

4. If there are no drop-in replacement switches, any thoughts on where to get switch gear? Preferably in the states, but I'm open to over-seas as well.

5. Will I need any software for the Leo board? Or will in-game options (DCS series, Thirdwire sims, RoF, CoD, FSX) be fine?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Last edited by aggressorblue; 03/27/11 06:36 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3248582 - 03/27/11 11:27 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
aRareKindOfMonster Offline
aRareKindOfMonster  Offline

1. According to spec:

Quote:
Specifications

8 analog inputs with 10-bit (1024 steps) resolution each
32 buttons
8-way ‘point-of-view’ hat switch

So, it could be limited as far as buttons go - controller buttons would be ok, but not side panels - , but for axes, you should have plenty to spare.

2. From what I gather any common HALL sensor or pot are recognized by it.

3. No proprietary/'drop-in' per se that I know of; you need to de-solder and solder new switches. They are easily available at any electronics store.

4. Mouser.com, Digikey.com, Newark.com, or simply Ebay, but when looking on ebay search for brand compents, like APEM, C&K, OMROM, NKK, etc...

5. Leo's module is plug and play. Again, as described;

Quote:
Features:

Natively supported by Windows XP/2000/Me/98 and Mac OS X

Forget drivers - just plug it in and it's ready to go.

#3248694 - 03/28/11 01:24 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
A challenging project. smile

1 - For throttle you need: 2 axis an 21 buttons.
For stick you need: 2 axis and for buttons in stick handle - if dont change anything:
9 buttons + HAT.
Or 11 buttons + HAT if you modify the switch in middle left side of grip to 3 positions (like in real F-15).
21 + 11 = 32

So you run of buttons (in BU0836) to reuse the 4/5 red toggle switch originally used for programing modes in stick base (in some Suncom versions) and same in throttle base - near LED's.
I suggest remove this buttons and cover holes.

Notice that after plug G-940 pedal (3 axis) you still with one axis available in BU0836 - use to some trim device like in Warthog throttle.

About HAT's, one Suncom HAT is for POV control and need to wire in specific locations in BU0836. Another is just 4 buttons, wire in any 4 of 32 available.

Notice that using BU0836X (instead BU0836) increase number of wires running between stick and throttle.

2 - Yes. Since you is not reusing Suncon PCB and electronics (that are a DOS gameport devices) and instead "building" a new stick with BU0836 interface, you can use any commercial available momentary or toggle switch and pots (or HALL sensor), for example you can replace the shoulder button in top of stick with one "knitter switch" available in L.Bodnar page (check available space first smile ).

For pot's: Unfortunately Suncom stick use a exclusive oscillatory plate gimbal system (that are good, in same manner similar to one use by Tm Warthog) and need pots with same dimensions of original ones:

Length = 60 mm Oops! 30mm
Height = 11 mm
Width = 7 mm

Wiper travel = ~11 mm

Since original Suncon pot are make in 1990's and are 100k - for BU0836 ideal is 20/50k - you need some luck to find one that match. You can adapt one slight smaller, but if is slight lager no.

I suggest look in Doc'Flyer pot>HALL conversion posted here in SimHQ.

3 - No since Suncom maker dont exist anymore.

Spare HATS for stick is virtually unavailable (unless replacement parts sold for registered users by Thrustmaster).
Loook in www.splash-one-bandit.com - probable the best place to find.

I know a CH model available in Digikey - but is priced:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1114837&k=HAT
If link is broken, search for 679-2289-ND part - manufacturer 500-526.

4 - For Windows, yes PnP. To program buttons use game GUI, or payware Xpader, or freewares SVMapper, JoyToKey.

I have some pictures about "USBerize" Suncom gear posted here, later I link here.

Good luck with your project, and post pictures of your WiP.

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/01/11 11:53 PM.
#3248864 - 03/28/11 06:28 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

My suggestion also would be to remove the fake antenna knob pot and put a real pot instead (to be used with the remaining free axis), for the knob you can contact splash one bandit.

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3255967 - 04/01/11 09:16 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Alright, thanks for your advice so far everyone. A few things:
-the G940 pedals are staying with the 940. For all purposes of this Suncom project, they do not exist. This also frees up three more Axis. All my sims support multiple controllers, so this is not an issue.
-I'm going to stick with the stock pots for now, unless sokol1 your telling that the Leo board won't be happy with them?

also, The HOTAS has shipped smile , time to look at parts:

So, there's the LEO X-board (simpler wiring than the regular board)

and looking at the splash one Bandit page (http://www.splash-one-bandit.com/parts.html) I'm thinking:

-One of these to match the small china on the front of the #2 throttle

One of these, to match the radar cursor on the front of the #2 throttle, unless the Radar cursor on the site is ready (still shows "coming soon")

One of these to match the castle on the stick. Although I might look for a CH 8-way version instead. The castle on the stick sits right where I like having my POV hat.

One of these to match the large China on the stick (I'll probably use this for trim)

Probably about 4 of these to replace the buttons on the stick.

Of note, the above are 9mm, but there are also 13mm offered on the site. Which size would work better with the suncom?

I'll also probably get several of the micro toggle switches offered I count 5 on the throttle, and 1 on the stick. I figure I'll reuse the switch covers in place now. That said, which kind should I go with? The options are:
(on)-off-(on)
(on)-off-on
on-off-on
Do "()" mean that that is a momentary position ,as in the switch will return to off when let go?
Also, is each "on" in the above list it's own button? for example:
on-off-on=button 1-no signal output-button 2?

Other parts questions:
What to do about adding a dual-stage trigger?

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/01/11 09:18 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile

#3256179 - 04/01/11 11:47 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Aggressorblue,

Originally Posted By: aggressorblue

-I'm going to stick with the stock pots for now, unless sokol1 your telling that the Leo board won't be happy with them?

Original Suncom pots are labeled 120k:
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8366/suncompot.png

L.Bodnar say that any value from 1kOhm to 100kOhm will work fine. In general small values have high electric consume and high values tend to pick noise, so try whit originals, maybe a shielded (mic) cables help.

Tip from GranBichus in X-plane forum: since Suncom pot have two trial wire these in parallel, you lost resolution (half) but get a more clear response.

Quote:
Although I might look for a CH 8-way version instead. The castle on the stick sits right where I like having my POV hat.

The only difference between 4 and 8 way HAT's is how is wired in specific place in USB controller, you can use 4 way HAT as 8 way, in case of CH (ie from Digikey) you can easily change for work as 8 way, already documented:
http://snomhf.exofire.net/8-WayHat.html

Quote:

Do "()" mean that that is a momentary position ,as in the switch will return to off when let go?

Yes, all original switch's in Suncom SFS throttle work in this manner.

Quote:

Also, is each "on" in the above list it's own button? for example:
on-off-on=button 1-no signal output-button 2?\

ON= button 1 otput - OFF is common wire for button 1 and 2 - ON= button 2 output

Quote:

What to do about adding a dual-stage trigger?

Easy to do, too. Just ad a momentary switch, see this how to - for CH, but the principle is same:
http://snomhf.exofire.net/dualTrigger.html
All dual stick trigger sticks (Tm F-22, Cougar, Warthog, X-52, G940...) work in same way.

Trigger in Suncom F-15 have a very small travel (~3mm), you need increase this to add 2 trigger.

My Suncom F-15 2 stage trigger:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7828/gatilho2.png
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7364/gatilho21.png

Sokol1

Last edited by Sokol1; 04/01/11 11:55 PM.
#3256215 - 04/02/11 12:34 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Thanks again Sokol1!

Regarding hats, are you saying that the 4-way hats available at splash one bandit could also be used as 8 ways?

Put another way, the Stock hats in the Talon are a cross shape. Physically allowing movement North-South-East-West only. Would the Bandit hats allow North-west, South East, etc.?

Oh, I also just placed my order for the X-board. Cost me $82 (stupid US $...).

Costs to date:
$45 for Talon stick (amazon)
$90 for Throttle/stick shipped (SimHQ User)
$82 for the board

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/02/11 12:44 AM.

Other Assets Deployed:

#3256256 - 04/02/11 01:46 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
For hook in BU0836 HAT circuit you dont need a 8 switch HAT, you need a 4 switch HAT that move
N - NE - E - SE - S - SW - W - NW, that's mean: click two buttons at same time at 45 degrees corners.

Well, I dont know how Splash Bandit HATS are build - if they limit physically the movement in the 45 degrees corners like in this CH F-16 modified by Snomhf.
But, from this page:
Quote:

These 4-Way switches are just what you need when building your own controls.
They are constructed with 4 individual tact switches that work Up-Down-Left-Right.

Available in Black, Grey, or Silver

If you need them to work similar to the Cougar POV switch (8-way), let me know as it is constructed a little differently.

Mail them. smile

BTW - At one and half year ago I buy one Suncon SFS throttle in eBay for... U$ 9,90. smile

Sokol1

#3256314 - 04/02/11 03:15 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Casual Offline
Casual  Offline

Sokol1 has said it correctly, I use to build the 4way switches that would only actuate one micro switch at a time. I had customers ask about the POV option (8way) so i re-designed the post and now all the switches can activate 2 micro switches at the same time.

Yes, () means its momentary and returns to center for the toggle switch description. Each switch will use 2 switch positions on the BU0836. The toggles from the SFS are "flat lever" toggles and the hats are designed with a slot. My toggle switches have round lever. I'm still working on making the molds for the toggle hats, but can sell you some before the production mold completed.

The 9mm red pushbutton switch is the closest thing to an Otto or Mason pushbutton switch, but much cheaper. The 13mm switch is closer to the size of a dime and a little bigger than a Cougar pushbutton. I myself prefer the 9mm.

I'm still working the production mold for the Radar Cursor. If you can wait a few days, I can have the production mold completed by then.

I have to ask, will you be using the Suncom stick and throttle HOTAS or a different model? My switches and not "drop-in" to any commercial HOTAS. The suncom split throttle uses PCBs for the switches on the front of both throttles, you'll have to remove all that and then build up the inside to adapt my switches to it. Same goes for the stick.

I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have.

Steve
www.splash-one-bandit.com

#3259910 - 04/04/11 11:14 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: Casual]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Casual
Sokol1 has said it correctly, I use to build the 4way switches that would only actuate one micro switch at a time. I had customers ask about the POV option (8way) so i re-designed the post and now all the switches can activate 2 micro switches at the same time.

Yes, () means its momentary and returns to center for the toggle switch description. Each switch will use 2 switch positions on the BU0836. The toggles from the SFS are "flat lever" toggles and the hats are designed with a slot. My toggle switches have round lever. I'm still working on making the molds for the toggle hats, but can sell you some before the production mold completed.

The 9mm red pushbutton switch is the closest thing to an Otto or Mason pushbutton switch, but much cheaper. The 13mm switch is closer to the size of a dime and a little bigger than a Cougar pushbutton. I myself prefer the 9mm.

I'm still working the production mold for the Radar Cursor. If you can wait a few days, I can have the production mold completed by then.

I have to ask, will you be using the Suncom stick and throttle HOTAS or a different model? My switches and not "drop-in" to any commercial HOTAS. The suncom split throttle uses PCBs for the switches on the front of both throttles, you'll have to remove all that and then build up the inside to adapt my switches to it. Same goes for the stick.

I'll be happy to answer any more questions you might have.

Steve
www.splash-one-bandit.com

Thanks Steve and Sokol1!

Judging by your question about "drop ins' you probably figured out I was the one who emailed you about two weeks ago. As long as they are all self contained (ie, I can just run wires from the x-board to the hat/button/switch pins) they'll work. The hats will also work. I don't really need dedicated buttons for "nw, se, etc" but I wanted to make sure it's not locked into a cross shaped channel like on the stock talon. What's annoying there, is you can't roll the hat, so to go SE, one would have to push east> back to center> South. As long as I can roll straight from East to South, I'm good (I prefer that vs going strait SE actually).

I don't mind waiting for the radar cursor. The board will probably be a week or two anyway. The HOTAS set is due tomorrow, so I'll have a better grasp on what I do and don't want to replace by later this week. What I'll probably do, is figure out what I want each position on the HOTAS to do, and go from there.

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/04/11 11:41 PM.

Other Assets Deployed:

#3259931 - 04/04/11 11:30 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF HOTAS NAUGHTY BITS. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED

Blame Sokol1, hes the one who wanted pictures biggrin

Am I the only one who felt stupid when realizing that the top hex bolts are just for display...after unscrewing them...

The easy part: disassembly

thinking about soaking these parts in detergent to get rid of the earwax like grease used, and to get rid of a decades worth of someone else manhandling them....Thoughts?

I should be able to work with these. It's a less complex system than I thought. I might try Hall sensors after all.

As I said, that's the stick I had from amazon. The HOTAS should arrive tomorrow. I can't wait smile

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/04/11 11:34 PM.

Other Assets Deployed:

#3260245 - 04/05/11 10:31 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Nice to see someone else trying the Suncom/USB mod smile I'm attempting something similar (or rather "have been", as I've had it in a state of disassembly for the better part of a year).
From the SFS stick, I've added another hat to give the same functionality as the stick you have, but I've also done my own dual-stage trigger mod, as well as adding a pair of tact switches to the thumb AAQ switch, so that it goes back and forth as well, instead of just down.

I got stuck when attempting to thread so many wires through the stick handle - how do you guys manage that? IIRC, I need to thread about 18 or so wires down the handle (4+4+3+2+1+1 + 3 grounds - Hat+Hat+AAQMod+Trigger+Pickle+NWS) - how the heck do you guys make it fit?

If you attempt to do the hall-probe mod on the original sliding pots, just take care when you do final assembly so that you get a smooth action.

#3260312 - 04/05/11 12:04 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: Gopher]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted By: Gopher
I got stuck when attempting to thread so many wires through the stick handle - how do you guys manage that? IIRC, I need to thread about 18 or so wires down the handle (4+4+3+2+1+1 + 3 grounds - Hat+Hat+AAQMod+Trigger+Pickle+NWS) - how the heck do you guys make it fit?

Couldn't you tie the 3 grounds together inside the stick, and just run 1 ground down through the stick handle to the board? That would only save you 2 wires, but it would help.

#3260318 - 04/05/11 12:10 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: CyBerkut]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Couldn't you tie the 3 grounds together inside the stick, and just run 1 ground down through the stick handle to the board? That would only save you 2 wires, but it would help.

If I understand the way the row/column matrix works in the BU0386 board, the grounds can only be common for buttons inside a particular row/column (6x6 matrix); because I've got 15 buttons, I need to spread them out across three rows, which means three separate ground wires.

#3260944 - 04/05/11 09:51 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Well, I'm using the X version of the board, so it's my understanding that one of it's benefits is that is does away with the need for a matrix. That might make the wire problem worse though.

That said, the throttle came today, and I have to say I'm impressed. The thing that jumps out most is the range of travel it has. That should come in handy with precision flying. my biggest gripe with both the Logitech g940 throttle and the Saitek x52 throttle is the short throw they have. It makes aircraft like the VRS superbug tough to fly formation with, as nailing the "sweet spot" where your holding a precise speed without accelerating/decelerating can be twitchy.

it's also refreshing to use a throttle without detents. No one likes dentents. They only do their job if you can adjust their position. otherwise chances are good their placement is just awkward. Of course, the reason most HOTAS advertise them is just so they can put another "feature" on the box.

Another point: Why can't modern throttles just do as the Talon, and place the resistance adjustment on the side?

Pics inbound tomorrow or thursday when I get a chance to root around inside.

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/05/11 09:55 PM.

Other Assets Deployed:

#3261138 - 04/06/11 01:12 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Gopher,

Quote:

If I understand the way the row/column matrix works in the BU0386 board, the grounds can only be common for buttons inside a particular row/column (6x6 matrix); because I've got 15 buttons, I need to spread them out across three rows, which means three separate ground wires.

Assuming that you use a BU0836 (6x6 matrix) and not X.
Too hook Suncom F-15 11 buttons + HAT (4 buttons) you need:
To Buttons 1, 2, 3... 11 use wires of Row 1 (6 buttons) and Row 2 (5 buttons) = 2 wires.
To HAT use wire of Row 6 (buttons 33, 34, 35, 36) = 1 wires.
And wires of all 6 Collumns = 6 wires.

Total = 9 wires go through stick pole hole, then combine all inside grip accord matrix
an use one diode for each button (wire from Row 1 go to button 1, then to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. etc.)

That's is advantage of Matrix, use few wires.

If instead you use BU0836-X you need more wires: one for each button + HAT (4) = 15
More one common (GND) for all = 16 wires. In this case use thin wires.

Agressorblue,

Good job! You just do the funny part of the thing: disassemble. Assemble all again is another history. smile

Sokol1

#3261256 - 04/06/11 03:55 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: Sokol1]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Gopher,

Quote:

Assuming that you use a BU0836 (6x6 matrix) and not X.
Too hook Suncom F-15 11 buttons + HAT (4 buttons) you need:
To Buttons 1, 2, 3... 11 use wires of Row 1 (6 buttons) and Row 2 (5 buttons) = 2 wires.
To HAT use wire of Row 6 (buttons 33, 34, 35, 36) = 1 wires.
And wires of all 6 Collumns = 6 wires.

Total = 9 wires go through stick pole hole, then combine all inside grip accord matrix
an use one diode for each button (wire from Row 1 go to button 1, then to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. etc.)

That's is advantage of Matrix, use few wires.

If instead you use BU0836-X you need more wires: one for each button + HAT (4) = 15
More one common (GND) for all = 16 wires. In this case use thin wires.

Agressorblue,

Good job! You just do the funny part of the thing: disassemble. Assemble all again is another history. smile

Sokol1

Doesn't the matrix method also have issues with multiple button presses, where as the X-board could (in theory) accept input from all buttons at once?

Other Assets Deployed:

#3261365 - 04/06/11 07:37 AM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AndyB Offline
AndyB  Offline

Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi Blue,

That's what the diodes are there for, to stop multiple keys. The diode blocks the signal from the board being fed back to another switch through the closed contacts.

Andy

Andy's simpit: http://www.simpit.me.uk
#3263123 - 04/07/11 06:55 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Well, here's where things currently sit:

The Throttle, as of yet un-opened. It's in pretty good shape smile

With the base plate removed:

All the boards gone gone:

The Throttle assembly completely removed from the base box

This is the inside of the #2 throttle handle. It looks like those switches can be reused.

I held on to all the spare wires, figure it'll be useful for re-wiring control innards

The pot assembly:

Other Assets Deployed:

#3263145 - 04/07/11 07:19 PM Re: Yet another Suncom Restoration :) [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
So, here's my plan so far:

The Leo board (which just shipped BTW smile ) will be housed in the throttle, for a few reasons:

1: I'll probably set it up first, as my G940 stick is still doing fine, and I'm not sure How I want to go about doing the Talon stick yet (considering doing a dogleg style extension).
2: As seen above, with the throttle "gutted", it's quite roomy
3: I'll probably use a similar 16pin connector as in place in the Original setup, to make my system modular.

Right now, I'm looking at completely gutting the Slider pots in the throttles, and using the actually Pot housing (not the plastic one) with the Hall sensor. Would the Metal housing interfere with the Sensor? Also, how far apart can the Magnets be?

On the other hand, I could probably set up a Rotary pot with Some RC control horn gear. That said, if a pot has a greater range of travel than the throttle, will I be unable to achieve Maximum to minimum thrust, or can I calibrate out the extra range of the Pot, so a game just sees the physical range of travel?

Actually, if anyone has a link for a guide to setting up Hall Effect Sensors, that would be great, and probably save some time.

Last edited by aggressorblue; 04/07/11 08:04 PM.

Other Assets Deployed:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.