Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#324468 - 07/07/06 12:23 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
By any chance when you connect, are you trying to join the Red Force? I've had occasional problems myself, possibly related to the fact that I don't have EEAH installed. I'm thinking that once the Updater Tool is working again that I'll do a clean install including EEAH. I would have installed it previously but my disk was missing until recently.

What I may do as a test is to set up another temporary server running W3T2 over the weekend so you can try connecting to it. I'll post here to let you know if/when it's up and running.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kimchoc1:
well, clearly something is amiss when the EECH server page reports one version # of your server, and your game reports another. Thats not a problem on my end.
At the moment I have two computers with EECH and neither can connect to your server where they could with the W3 verion..
Since you have changed around your server today, the green line is now below the red as it was when i was able to connect. Earlier today, the green line was above.
In any case, same problem. error, failed to connect to session, followed by directplay CTD. Directplay is only activated when trying to connect to another player, so the CTD isnt a fault of my install. It plays fine until i try to connect to your MP game.
I am afraid this game has been modded so much that we have lost the stability and continuity. Not by anyones fault, I suppose its just a matter of evolution. This type of issue comes up regularly actually. We'll be going along fine, them wham, someone cant connect.
Still like to see you put the W3 version back in for a test. That would elminate the W4 verion issue.
Thanks for your testing efforts...

#324470 - 07/07/06 07:26 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
I noticed the server requires that rotor downwash be turned off. I don't think that is necessary anymore. I think I fixed the multiplayer downwash bug in W4T2. You can at least try running with it on to see if it works.

#324471 - 07/07/06 08:08 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
arneh,

I think the eech.ini uses a value of zero by default (even though the comment says 1 is the default) - I checked this by deleting the ini file and restarting EECH. Here's the unmodified line:

dwash= 0 # visible rotor downwash (dust), def = 1 (on)

Next time I start the server I'll try to remember to change this setting.

Quote:
Originally posted by arneh:
I noticed the server requires that rotor downwash be turned off. I don't think that is necessary anymore. I think I fixed the multiplayer downwash bug in W4T2. You can at least try running with it on to see if it works.

#324472 - 07/07/06 11:30 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
Well, I set up a test server, but as soon as I got home I tried to remote connect to the PC running the server. Unfortunately Remote Desktop Connection apparently doesn't like it when you try to access a PC running a game - it craps the game out and then says it can't find my graphics card when i try to restart EECH \:\( .

Kimchoc1, if you'll let me know when is the best time, I'll set up a temporary Hamachi server at home running W3T2 for you to try to connect to. I'd feel better if we were testing the regular server, but I won't be able to set that up until Monday because of the graphics problem.

I'm gonna have to find a good remote access app that doesn't crap out when anything graphics-related is displayed on the remote PC. \:\( I was using TightVNC on the regular server for awhile, but it was terribly slow and the mouse never clicked in the right spot. Anyone have any recommendations?

#324474 - 07/08/06 02:57 AM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
OK, the test server is up and running, at least for the time-being. The Hamachi server is SpectreTest, password letsfly! It does show up on the server list with the correct version number. It would probably be best if you first disconnect from the SpectreServer in Hamachi, just to avoid any potential conflicts.

I'm running the standard Cuba Campaign using W3T2 - let me know if you have any luck connecting!

Quote:
Pretty much anytime. I am off for another 10 days or so and check the forum often. Just post when you ave something up and I'll give it a whirl.
Thanks again.
From past memory, the dwash is directly related to the multiplayer code. There is an old thread (archived) from the author of dwash that makes the connection between dwash and MP connectivity. It works great offline, but always gave us problems when using in MP. At some point the default WAS set to 0. Then later a preventative measure was added to the connection process that kept folks from joining unless they turned it off. The problem was that guys would turn it on, then join a server and crash it.
what was done to "fix" this problem? arn?

#324476 - 07/08/06 05:06 AM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Quote:
From past memory, the dwash is directly related to the multiplayer code. There is an old thread (archived) from the author of dwash that makes the connection between dwash and MP connectivity.
Yes, I'm aware of that, but as I said, I think I fixed it.

Quote:
At some point the default WAS set to 0. Then later a preventative measure was added to the connection process that kept folks from joining unless they turned it off. The problem was that guys would turn it on, then join a server and crash it.
Ah right, so you can't turn it on. I will have to change that then \:\)

Quote:
what was done to "fix" this problem? arn? and how possible are you that it is fixed?
The problem was that in multiplayer datatypes are packed tightly in as few bits as possible to save bandwidth. But when those new special effects (downwash, new smoke effects) were added there were too little space for those new effects. I have now increased the space for special effects, so that downwash and new smoke effects should work.

Quote:
Has anyone tested it during MP sessions?
No, that's why I want someone to try it. Just a quick test, if it doesn't work then we'll go back to not using it. Actually it was just downwash for snow and rock which didn't fit. So try a multiplayer server in a winter scenario with downwash on, and if it doesn't work it should crash fairly quickly once someone produces downwash. That way we'll know if it works or not.

#324477 - 07/08/06 12:37 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
I was running straight W3T2, no WUT file, which is how I was running on the main server before the upgrade to W4T1-T2. This is a bit frustrating, I definitely want everyone to be able to connect.

At some point in the future when the auto-updater comes back on-online I will probably do a clean re-install of everything on the server just to make sure there's no issues on my end.

Quote:
same issue. I really have no answer or ideas. This happens from time to time. My firewall was down for testing purposes. Nothing updated on computer. Just install the new exe and let it make a backup. Same old process. But sometimes it just doesnt work. My guess is that a complete re-install will fox it, but who knows. I wont be doing that.
I need to try and join someone elses server to qualify my connection. But theres no place for it to go wrong really. Same router, nothing changed. So incredibly odd that both my machines give the exact same error.
Thanks for your try.
What WUT were you running? I dont have any speced. Might be possible that in some upgrade of the exe, it is looking for the exact same WUT. Just a guess.

#324479 - 07/08/06 12:58 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Are you working on any more of the MP code?
Not, right now, no. I might look at it in the future, but multiplayer programming is not something I know anything about, so it would probably be better if someone who knew what they were doing did it \:\)

Quote:
As I remember also, there wasnt a season that dwash crashed.
Snow downwash wasn't the only downwash which was the problem, but it's the one easiest to reproduce. There were certain other terraintypes which would also cause problems, but it's easier to find snow than the other problematic terraintypes when testing if it works \:\)

#324480 - 07/08/06 01:21 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
Quote:
good info. Thanks for your effort arn. Are you working on any more of the MP code? Thats our biggest nemisis really. As you can tell from this thread. Sometimes no matter what we do, all of a sudden, someone cannot connect. Actually Spec was never able to post a server until hamachi came along. I suspect he actually still hase the original issue.
When it comes to running game servers over my router, I've always had problems. As a client connecting to other servers, no issues. I tried running a Half-Life server, couldn't connect remotely. I suspect I need a better router - the Netgear model I use just seems to ignore any instructions to forward ports, as any time I do it makes no difference on the connection. That's why I was so excited when Hamachi solved my problem.

Quote:
I'm just an end-user and have never seen THE code and can only tell you what happens, not why.
As I remember also, there wasnt a season that dwash crashed. It would do it on all campaigns and not regularly. we did a test one time on my server with 6 guys. All with dwash off, no one could connect. We all turned it on, all connected. No crashes either. this is the spankiest MP code I've ever worked with.

Spec, could there be any issue wth hamachi? I did have to upgrade it just a day or so ago. I have 1.0.0.58.
Ok, copy no WUT. That takes care of that idea. BTW, what other games do you have? Could we try a connect with any others? You have MSFS by any chance? and I assume you use a default ini with only the # of players changed?
The server is currently running Hamachi 1.0.0.56, but I've connected to it using the 58 version no problems. I do have MSFS, maybe we could test with that to see if it's strictly an EECH problem. Tonite I'll see if I can set something up with it for you to try to connect to.

As for the ini, the only changes are the number of players and the WUT file sepcification. The WUT spec doesn't seem to matter as I can connect using a setup that doesn't have the WUT specified.

#324482 - 07/08/06 10:02 PM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
et1 Offline
et1  Offline

Can anyone confirm the Hamachi server name is "SpectreServer"? Whenever I try to connect to that it says there is no network exists with that name. When I do it in lower case, "spectreserver" it finds a network but says it is full always. Is this true?

#324483 - 07/09/06 03:44 AM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
Normally the server name is SpectreServer, but I had to do a quick restart and didn't think about the case factor, so I typed it in as "spectreserver". I'm using the free version of Hamachi which has a 16 mmeber account limit - I may have to dump some folks who haven't connected recently or bite the bullet and get the full version. If anyone has connected in the past and doesn't plan to connect in the near future, please b sure to "leave the network" by right-clicking on the server name and choosing the "leave network" option. That should free up a spot for others to use.

One other possibilty I've yet to test is that you can create more than one network with Hamachi. It might be possible to create a "spectreserver2" network that additional users could connect to and access the EECH server. I'm not sure how the two Hamachi servers would interact in conjunction with EECH, but it does potentially offer a means to get around the 16 member account limit if it works. I will probabaly do some testing on Monday as I don't have direct access to the server right now.

Quote:
Originally posted by et1:
Can anyone confirm the Hamachi server name is "SpectreServer"? Whenever I try to connect to that it says there is no network exists with that name. When I do it in lower case, "spectreserver" it finds a network but says it is full always. Is this true?

#324484 - 07/09/06 04:09 AM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
TLDspectre Offline
TLDspectre  Offline

Newton, NC
Kimchoc1,

The MSFS server is up and running, though I've never done a MP session in it before. The session name is TLDspectre's MSFS, IP address 5.45.252.133 on Hamchi server "spectretest" (all lowercase), password "letsfly!".

Quote:
Yep, agreed to all. Let me know on the MSFS server. I think we are really dealing with an EECH version conflict though. Just my gut feeling. I am pretty sure that IF I see a green line, that establishes a good connection from client to server. Meaning our firewalls/etc/ will allow a good connection IF we can get past the directplay issue. Like I said, a re-install on my end will probably fix it. Usually does, but we'll never now the answer. Just a finicky game with MP.
Thanks..

#324486 - 07/10/06 06:43 AM Re: New 1.6.2W4T2 campaign up and running on SpectreServer  
et1 Offline
et1  Offline

Thanks for confirming that the Hamachi Server is currently full. I hope there will be a way to allow more people to join, or atleast keep the server free with only actively flying pilots. Either way, hope things get smoothed out. Nice work though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.