Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Air Combat - General » WW I » Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3022195 - 05/31/10 10:32 AM Anyone remember Dawn Patrol??
Major_Johnson Offline

Loc: Jersey Shore USA
It was how my career in IT got started actually. One simple comuter game. I played it for hours on end. But that was Windows 95 then, and there was a lot of behind the scenes configuration that needed to be done, and fortunatley I knew a computer geek that was able to come over and get it done. Although I really don't remember (or understood) what he did. And now, 12-13 years and 5 operating systems later, all I can do is look at box.

I've heard that it's possible to get some old games to run on XP with some DOS emulators, like DOSbox, but I just don't have the expertise on the commands needed. I know that sounds funny coming from someone in the IT field, but when I got into it, using DOS was not part of schools curriculum that I went to. In fact the O/S of choice at the time was NT. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on the subject?? It would be appreciated.
4 GB Corsair Dominator RAM
Muchkin 650W Power Supply

#3022210 - 05/31/10 10:58 AM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Loc: Canada
Hello,

DOS is a fairly simple command-line interface. In fact, modern versions lack the more powerful (and useful tools).

A folder is called a directory

One generally types a command followed by a name:
cd x = change directory to "x"
cd.. = go up a directory
dir = show the contents of directory
dir /p = show the contents of the directory and pause if the contents fill more than one screen
copy *.* x = copy all files in current directory to "x"
copy alphabet.* x = copy all files named "alphabet", regarless of type to "x"
copy *.a = copy all files ending in "a" regardless of type to "x"
md "x" = create directory "x"
rd "x" = remove directory "x"
del *.* = identical to copy except it deletes everything in the directory
del alphabat.a = identical to copy except it deletes only "alphabet.a"
dawnpatrol = run dawnpatrol.exe

There are a few more - but that should be enough to get you started.

For DOSBox one needs to create virtual computer. If you read the help files it will give you the commands. Basically there are three steps:
I. Mount a directory as a drive - the command is something like:
Mount C C:\dosgames\
II. mount a cdrom drive if need be (simply copy the text in the help - the command is too long too remember)
III. Type the standard cd C:\ command to change directory to the new (fake) C:\ (which is really C:\dosgames in our example) and then select the game directory and run the program as if you were in dos.
IV. It is usually best to pick one setup and stay with it - including installing the games while already in Dosbox. This can avoid problems, and if you know batch, you can write a little program to automatically set things up. Dosbox also has commands that allow you to adjust the speed that games can access the CPU and RAM (to keep the games from running too fast).

DOSbox also exists for Linux and it is in this configuration that I've gotten a lot of games to run that I hadn't managed to since the 1990s.

Good luck

Edited by Avimimus (05/31/10 10:59 AM)

#3022410 - 05/31/10 03:56 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Avimimus]
Joes Shop Offline

Loc: MA, USA
Major,

I use Dosbox; you might want to try D-fend which uses a GUI.

Regards,

J. P. Kelly
Memory: 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon IGP 345m w/128 MB Ram
Controls: Saitek X52, Rudder Pedals and Eclipse Keyboard
Current: Third Wire WOV, EAW 1.28d 1024 /SPAW/SPAW45 FAW Fleet Defender, IL-2. Learning: F/A-18 PSF/OIF, Falcon 4 AF, EF2000 Ver 2.0, SH Series (Pacific Aces)

#3053771 - 07/16/10 02:53 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Joes Shop]
HistoryDude Offline

Loc: Central Illinois
DOSbox is an awsome tool to play the old games. Free and uber-easy to install, learn, and use, even for non-IT fellows, like me! wink

edit: Oh, and, yes, I do remember Dawn Patrol - great fun! smile Aweseom Errol Flynn movie, tool! beercheers

Edited by HistoryDude (07/16/10 02:56 PM)

#3137569 - 11/15/10 09:30 AM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
tomcervo Offline

Or . . .
You can find a P1 at Goodwill or rummage for $20 or less.
I took a hard drive from my old 486 box, that hadn't run in 10 years, and put it in; it started and ran stuff I hadn't seen in ten years. I've loaded up the old Rowan sims, and Wings of Glory, SWotL, Dynamix stuff--worth every penny.

#3158823 - 12/16/10 07:48 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
Sectoid Offline

I had DP but Rowan's Flying Corps was much better and I still have my CDR copy they sent me for doing a bit of beta testing when they converted it from 2D graphics engine to D3D. I can get that running but don't have DP anymore to try it.

#3209815 - 02/16/11 08:52 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
RedVonHammer Offline

Loc: Norway
Dawn Patrol was amongst my first WW1 flight "sims" ever too, I can`t remember if I ran that or RB1 first.

I still own the very first PC I ever had, with DP and RB1 on it.

But I prefer to play it on Dosbox w/D-Fend.
Remember to install the game WITH dosbox (Or, practically D-Fend) and install as VGA res, and not SVGA or you`ll end up with the usual error when starting the game, however if anyone knows how to get the game running with SVGA please do say so, I havent played DP w/SVGA textures in YEARS smile

Set up with Sound Blaster for sound, preferably 16 or the likes.

I sort of missed out on Flying Corps, also it is very hard to get running whether it be dos box w/d-fend or W7, RB2 was pretty good though smile

#3210205 - 02/17/11 09:37 AM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot

Loc: College Station, Texas, USA
I've gotten Dawn Patrol to run in SVGA res before via DOSBox, but it has been a while and I forgot what vid card options I used. frown
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i7 920 @ 3.5Ghz
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R motherboard
12GB Patriot Viper II Sector 7 Edition DDR3 @ 1670
AMD XFX 7970 3GB Double D Ghz Edition
3x1 ASUS PA248Q 24" LCDs in Eyefinity
700W Thermaltake TR2 W0366RU PSU
600GB Velociraptor 10k rpm HDD
1TB Velociraptor 10k rpm HDD
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 7 x64 Ultimate
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings

#3242111 - 03/22/11 06:29 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
Stuffy7634 Offline
'Stuffy' - Dowding!

Loc: UK
Do mean the one with that book, from which you choose your missions? Yep, I remember that - not a bad little game, but I preferred Knight of the Sky. When is someone going to do a Knights of the Sky II?
RAM: 4.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
Sound: Audigy 4
O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

#3243410 - 03/23/11 10:53 PM Re: Anyone remember Dawn Patrol?? [Re: Major_Johnson]
Hellshade Online   content
Hellshade

Loc: Florida
I wouldn't hold my breath sir. PC games aren't as popular as they once were due to the console invasion. Of the PC games that are produced, flight simulation makes up a very small percentage because of how complex it is to program these things to behave realistically. Not just the AI but each planes individual flight model.

So these days your choices are (in alphabetical order)

First Eagles 2 - by Third Wire
http://www.thirdwire.com/project_fe2.htm

Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell - By OBD software
http://www.overflandersfields.com/info.htm

Rise of Flight - by 777 studios
http://riseofflight.com/en

I can't say I've tried First Eagles 2, however I own and regularly fly the other two. Both have some amazingly good aspects to them and are well supported by dedicated Devs.

Hellshade

Join the Air War at
www.WingsOverFlandersFields.com

videos at
www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Heading Out
by Pooch
06:02 PM
DCS Beacon Map
by FltSims
05:57 PM
Tornado and F-14FD...FINALLY!!!
by MarkG
05:34 PM
Desktop Simpit Project (PICTURE SPREE!!!)
by Attackmack
04:32 PM
Change from CH to Warthog?
by 74Capt
03:47 PM
Streaming campaign mode on Twitch
by ru_disa
02:41 PM
Prepar3D now has Oculus Rift DK2 support!
by f15sim
01:38 PM
GTX 980 out
by theKhan
12:26 PM
Guys, you've GOT to read about this. Banished with an actual game in it.
by komemiute
11:13 AM
California, where'd the water go???
by Chaz
11:02 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.