after almost a half year, some hundred hours of planning, experimenting, handcrafting and spending a few hundreds bucks my project has come to an end:)DSC_1036
, on Flickr
As a last step of machining I had milled the holes of the button holding screws.
Then I started to paint the stick. That was realy fun. After studying lot of reference pictures I used semigloss black for the stick and gloss black for the junction box.
I decided to make some weathering on it, so now it shows some patina. I sanded some paint down here and there, and made the screws corroded a bit with vinegar:).
I mounted the sign plate and finally soldered wires to the buttons. Finally I could install the trigger properly and trim the trigger spring.
Now everything is installed and fixed, all the functions work properly, ready for some future action:) All along the project I have tried to stick to the real Steuerknüppel as much as possible, and I am very happy with the result.
Thank you all for following and commenting this thread. Thank you for your help and ideas.
I am especially thankful for my friend VO101_Menyus, who made the casting for me,
to Balazs Schuller who helped me to find a solution for the "Fischhaut",
to Horst Rienecker, who supplied fantastic original parts and valuable information about the real thing,
to Hans "Boandlgramer" Schmid who generously offered and sent me super buttons
and the Tarmac Aces, who also supplied me a set of buttons and their piece of art works were really motivating as well.
The next task is to build a proper base for this grip. I already have some ideas and I have begun to make design sketches. I will open another thread for it soon.
And here are some more pictures of course:)DSC_0098_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0095_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0091_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0087_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0086_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0085_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0084_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0079_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0077_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0076_DxO
, on FlickrDSC_0065_DxO
, on Flickr