Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3214478 - 02/22/11 03:42 AM My In The Weeds experience  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
In the briefing for In The Weeds, we are told that enemy forces have gathered and have inexplicably taken station up at apparently random points west of our current position. Furthermore, the enemy has an incredible aerial defense system set-up: multiple SA-11 batteries and way too many Tunguskas to count. An analysis of the data provided by intelligence has demonstrated a weakness in their battle formation. But the approach will not be easy. We will be required to maneuver straight down a series of valleys and skim the surface to the target point.

Hmm…if only there was an attack aircraft that could launch an effective low-level attack against overwhelming odds and still bring our pilots home safely…

Wingie and I taking off.

My wingman and I take off from Soganlug and turn due west, ducking below enemy radar cover, but not before checking in with JTAC. He gives up good bogey dope on a triple set of APCs and my wingman and I cruise in low to do some damage. The FAC coolly comments that there is a Zeus “0 nautical miles” from the BTRs. Something to keep an eye out for.

While fencing in I turn on the targeting pod hung under my left wing as well as activate the 4 IR Mavericks slung under my wings. The TGP pod begins its startup procedure while the Mavericks do the same. Looking at the flight plan on my TAD I should have just enough time before the target for the Mavericks to have aligned and cooled down.

The flight plan

I order my wingman in trail and we begin zig zagging through canyons at two hundred feet off the deck or less. Betty keeps bit.., er, whining about my altitude so I reset the floor to an uncomfortable 75 ft.

As we come near the target area, I pop up to 3000’ (about 1500’ AGL) then roll over, pulling towards the ground, looking for targets through my Maverick sensors as I level out in a slight dive. Enemy search radars light up my RWR, but I only need a handful of seconds to lock and launch three Mavericks at the targets.

During my run in, my wingman gets careless with his altitude and is fired upon by the multiple SA-11 batteries. Panicking, he climbs for the sky, dumping chaff and flares, ultimately a futile gesture. RIP, FNG.

Completely unphased by the moment (you gotta love your wingman, but this guy was a total ‘bot), I press with the attack and fire off three Mavericks in quick succession.

“Rifle!” (x3)

As the last missile leaves the rail, I bunt nose-over for the ground and break hard away from the target area – the Mavericks are on their own from here. The RWR goes blissfully silent as I reach the deck and I extend away from the target area for a few miles, still mindful of that Zeus.

I then turn back to conduct battle damage. I’m pleased to see three burning hulks on the fields. Now…where is that AAA….

Three for three

Coming around for Zeus

The Zeus finds me before I find him, lighting up my RWR. I look in the indicated direction and find him nestled against a tree line. The angles aren’t bad, but the distance is awfully close. The Zeus is just sitting there, silent and juicy, baiting me.

Here Zeusy, Zeusy, Zeusy!

Suddenly my fangs go out, and I jam the throttles full, pull back hard on the stick, and switch to cannon as I line up the shot. I pull the first stage of the trigger too soon and PAC stabilizes off the target – no good. I release the trigger and the pipper jiggles around the AAA vehicle as the PAC releases and the distance grows closer. As I calmly and smoothly bring the CCIP gunsight back onto target, the Zeus lets loose a hot yellow stream my direction. I jink up slightly, the shots barely missing my underside, then put the nose back on target and squeeze the trigger in a short burst. Before I release I know my shots are going to go long.

A bad place to be with fangs out

I’m too close now, a break turn will just expose my belly, so I focus on nothing other than stapling that pipper on the rapidly growing hulk on my windscreen. It’s like a classic game of chicken, but with bullets. He opens up at me just as I open up on him. Angry yellow bullets tear into the nose and left side of my aircraft but I keep the pipper on him and let loose of another barrage before pulling off at the last possible second.

Bang! You’re dead!

As I scream just a dozen feet or so over the top I register secondaries coming from the top of the vehicle, but there’s no time to rejoice. The Master Caution alarm blaring and I instinctively check the troubleboard. The lights are showing a CADC failure as well as something going on with the left engine. Not a good sign.

The trouble board

A glance back over my left shoulder reveals a shredded engine nacelle with flames jetting out the back. Home suddenly feels a long ways away.

Honey…do you smell something buring?

I pull the left T handle and flick the fire extinguisher switch. Another glance over the shoulder and the flames are gone… whew! Another check of systems shows I’ve lost a bit of fuel from the left wing tank, but everything seems stable … for the moment! Time to get this bird home!

Even with its left side replaced with swiss cheese, the Hog flies like a champ, and I keep her down low, out of reach of the SA-11s. At least I hope so, since my RWR has gone INOP!

Holey Smoking Warthog! This Warthog is smoking, and it’s full of holes!

My landing back at base is ironically one of my best, although I have to engage the emergency brake system to energize the brake hydraulics to stop the aircraft before it rolls off the end of the runway. A quick shut down and then I hop out to go inspect the damage.

Most of the pieces made it back.

There are more holes in my aircraft than a teenager’s response to “Where were you all last night?” Just another demonstration of the versatile capability and sheer ruggedness of this amazing aircraft!

How do you do, in the weeds?

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3214523 - 02/22/11 04:53 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
2GvSAP_Mohawk Offline
2GvSAP_Mohawk  Offline

NuJerzee, USA
Nicely done Einstein. thumbsup

My PC Specs:
Traitorous transistorized toad....Blithering blatherskite....Hopeless heap of tainted tin
#3214866 - 02/22/11 03:11 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
KRT_Bong Online eating
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Online Eating
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
God, thats cool and I wasn't going to buy this title (yet) but now...

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3215263 - 02/22/11 08:42 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I've done a couple of passes against AAAs too and I prefer to expose my belly and screw up his fire-solution than bore straight for him. I've had numerous instances of hearing "plink! plink" as the AAA shells hit but my trusty Hog only loses the left MFD... I always break right so I guess that has something to do with it?

Anyway, nice report there. How do you engage the emergency brakes?

- Ice
#3215534 - 02/23/11 12:23 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: - Ice]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Thanks for the feedback, folks! I *love* this sim!

Originally Posted By: - Ice
How do you engage the emergency brakes?

There's a black and yellow striped lever on the left side of the cockpit just above the AUX LTG panel. Pull that to switch the wheelbrake system to the right hydraulic system, which includes an emergency accumulator for the brakes. This isn't a parking brake handle - you still have to press the brake pedals - but that accumulator should still have pressure for a few brake presses even if the other systems are shot to heck.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3215591 - 02/23/11 01:27 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Enjoyable read!

Even if I had at least kept one magic fire-and-forget bullet for that Shilka. No need to get into a fist fight with triple A. wink

#3217366 - 02/24/11 06:44 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
IcePickFreak Offline
IcePickFreak  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Great write-up! hahaha

#3221047 - 03/01/11 06:15 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Mirtma Offline
Mirtma  Offline

I've enjoyed reeding this. Give us some more.

MSI Z87-G43
i5 4670K@3.4 (4.0)
RAM Corsair Vengeance 16 Gb DDR3 PC3-1500 @ 1866Mhz
Gigabyte GTX760 OC Windforce 3x rev2.0 2Gb
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 2433BW 24" @ 1920 x 1200
Saitek X-55 Rhino, TrackIR 5 Pro
Windows 8.1 64 bit Pro
#3221053 - 03/01/11 06:34 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Meyvn Offline
Meyvn  Offline

NYC
Nice story, thanks for sharing!

well, forget about it...
#3221107 - 03/01/11 09:42 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for that tip! Another Q... how did you know you needed the E-brakes? Does it say something in the fault panel? Or did you just find out when you landed?

- Ice
#3221161 - 03/01/11 12:46 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Zorg12 Offline
Zorg12  Offline

Copenhagen, Denmark
Great AAR and solid flying clapping

I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I see no further hope.

— Julius Frontinus, chief military engineer to the Emperor Vespasian, cica AD 70.
#3221366 - 03/01/11 04:34 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: - Ice]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
Another Q... how did you know you needed the E-brakes? Does it say something in the fault panel? Or did you just find out when you landed?
After landing. Apply brakes. Notice I'm not slowing down. Pull handle. Apply brakes and cross fingers.

I'll have to go back through the track and see if I got a hydraulic pressure alarm and missed/ignored it.

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3221920 - 03/02/11 04:11 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
bp_ronjon Offline
bp_ronjon  Offline

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
Another Q... how did you know you needed the E-brakes? Does it say something in the fault panel? Or did you just find out when you landed?
After landing. Apply brakes. Notice I'm not slowing down. Pull handle. Apply brakes and cross fingers.

I'll have to go back through the track and see if I got a hydraulic pressure alarm and missed/ignored it.

are the track files small enough that they can be easily shared? I'd like to see this play out first hand on my box if that's a reasonable thing to ask you to share.

bp_ronjon

#3221960 - 03/02/11 05:06 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
EinsteinEP Offline
Just a Noob
EinsteinEP  Offline
Just a Noob

Tucson, AZ
@Ice,

Looking back over the track, the left hydraulic system lost pressure after I dropped gear, lowered the flaps, and opened speedbrakes on short final. I was so close to touching down that I just turned the alarm off and and flew her in. It wasn't until the toe brakes touched the floor with no response that I knew I had a system problem.

In hindsight, I should have expected the left hydraulic system to go out - I had shutdown my left engine, which drives the left hydraulic pump! When dropped gear, flaps, and speedbrakes, those actions depleted pressure that wasn't getting restored by the pump. When I went to use the brakes on the ground, there just wasn't enough juice.

Lesson learned: after taking combat damage, drop gear, flaps, and speedbrakes on LONG final with enough time, altitude, and speed to take corrective actions if hydraulic pressure becomes depleted. In this case, I would have checked that I had three green landing gear lights (I did) and that the flap and speedbrakes were symmetrically deployed. If either the flaps or speedbrakes had deployed asymmetrically I would have used the emergency retract for the broken system via the left panel and continued with the landing.

Warning bells on short final is never a good idea!

Shoot to Kill.
Play to Have Fun.
#3222080 - 03/02/11 11:01 AM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Nicely done, Einstein.

yep

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3222120 - 03/02/11 12:49 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Great AAR, I liked your humor. I only ever played A-10 Cuba!

#3222566 - 03/02/11 07:58 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Thanks for that very detailed explaination. Unfortunately, remembering which system was powered by what engine gets lost in the "OMG, I gotta get this thing down safely" moment.

- Ice
#3223261 - 03/03/11 03:03 PM Re: My In The Weeds experience [Re: EinsteinEP]  
Freycinet Offline
Veteran
Freycinet  Offline
Veteran

Excellent AAR! - I think that for the next one (hint, hint) you should give us bigger images, they could be at least twice as wide.

My Il-2 CoD movie web site: www.flightsimvids.com

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.