Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
#3737013 - 02/17/13 07:50 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: spheise]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: spheise
this looks awesome! if there was one cockpit i always wished for it was this. i really hope you are able and willing to finish it....and i thank you for the effort!

Well I'm definitely willing. As for able, well we'll see. I'll need to get help with the coding when making it a flyable cockpit. But hopefully Firebird will still be around to help when the time comes.

#3737041 - 02/17/13 08:49 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  

Why do you think that Firebird left the eech? From my observation he always disappears after the new year for a long time, but later return.

#3737056 - 02/17/13 09:25 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: ]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: joe13
Why do you think that Firebird left the eech? From my observation he always disappears after the new year for a long time, but later return.

I don't think he left, I just know that real life can take priority. Which is why I started this project 3 years ago, and I'm only now picking it up again.

#3738953 - 02/20/13 10:06 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

I'm looking for some help with texturing. I've created a high resolution texture for the upper control panel. I've got it from a vector image, so I can scale it to any size and export it.

When I view it in windows, I can zoom in and it's not pixelated. But when I add it to the surface in Lightwave, it's quite low resolution. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Here's the image;

And here's how it looks in the model;

It's quite a big image, around 6MB. Is there a texture limit for Lightwave? I'm probably going to split it into smaller, but high resolution images to use.

And it's not yet finished, just in case you start picking on it biggrin

I'm just doing the base layer for layout just now.

#3738965 - 02/20/13 10:35 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted By: messyhead
But when I add it to the surface in Lightwave, it's quite low resolution. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Lightwave rescales the textures it displays in the modeller. That doesn't have any effect on the resolution it will have in EECH, the resolution of the texture file decides how it will look in EECH.

If you want to change the resolution Lightwave scales the textures to you can change it from the Display Options (press D) -> GL tab -> Texture resolution. But this option doesn't have any effect on how it will look in EECH.

Last edited by arneh; 02/20/13 10:36 PM.
#3738971 - 02/20/13 10:53 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
bill4435 Offline
bill4435  Offline

(edit: oops there are 5 pages... didn't notice. If this was answered then, ignore. I only saw the first page so far.)

I don't know what the code looks like or what the capabilities are. I don't know if any of this is possible. I'm just going off of the little bit I'm 'hearing' So I'll offer a suggestion in Psuedo-Code:

- Set Troops as a weapon on the list
- Hide Troops-weapon from weapon cycling (the user can cycle through weapons as normal bypassing the Troops-weapon)
- During insertion where you need to remove the image of troops in the bay:
---Capture current cycled weapon
---Disallow User weapon cycling for the time being
---through code, select Troops-weapon
---fire Troops-weapon
---Reload current weapon to 'captured current weapon' from 4 steps up
---Re-enable User weapon cycling

I'm sorry, I'm not into coding this or tearing it apart but maybe you could utilize some of the psuedo code ideas where ever it may be feasible. I have no idea what the code looks like or what the capabilities are.

I hope it was helpful.

Last edited by bill4435; 02/20/13 10:55 PM.
#3739185 - 02/21/13 08:40 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: arneh]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: arneh
But when I add it to the surface in Lightwave, it's quite low resolution. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Lightwave rescales the textures it displays in the modeller. That doesn't have any effect on the resolution it will have in EECH, the resolution of the texture file decides how it will look in EECH.

If you want to change the resolution Lightwave scales the textures to you can change it from the Display Options (press D) -> GL tab -> Texture resolution. But this option doesn't have any effect on how it will look in EECH.

Ah, ok. Thanks for that. I'd exported it so many times at different resolutions. I'll see how it looks in the game.

#3739186 - 02/21/13 08:41 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: bill4435]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: bill4435
(edit: oops there are 5 pages... didn't notice. If this was answered then, ignore. I only saw the first page so far.)

I don't know what the code looks like or what the capabilities are. I don't know if any of this is possible. I'm just going off of the little bit I'm 'hearing' So I'll offer a suggestion in Psuedo-Code:

- Set Troops as a weapon on the list
- Hide Troops-weapon from weapon cycling (the user can cycle through weapons as normal bypassing the Troops-weapon)
- During insertion where you need to remove the image of troops in the bay:
---Capture current cycled weapon
---Disallow User weapon cycling for the time being
---through code, select Troops-weapon
---fire Troops-weapon
---Reload current weapon to 'captured current weapon' from 4 steps up
---Re-enable User weapon cycling

I'm sorry, I'm not into coding this or tearing it apart but maybe you could utilize some of the psuedo code ideas where ever it may be feasible. I have no idea what the code looks like or what the capabilities are.

I hope it was helpful.

To be honest, I'd forgot about all the ideas I had initially on the first pages! winkngrin

Once I get the cockpit and updated model done, then we can start looking at what can be done with having tropps as a payload for insertion missions.

#3739725 - 02/22/13 02:45 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Hi. I'm needing some audio help. When I open the pcm files in Audacity, and play them back, they play really fast and not how they sound in the game. Can someone tell me how to play them back as they sound in game? I'm a bit of a novice with the audio stuff.

I'm just looking at a few of the sounds that I'm going to replace.

#3739779 - 02/22/13 08:33 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
Doctor_Wibble Offline
Doctor_Wibble  Offline

Depends how you are opening the file!
To open the PCM in Audacity, you need to do 'import raw', and tell it the details (unsigned 8-bit pcm, no endianness, mono, 22050Hz) because there's no way for it to know. I think the 22050 bit is what you're after but getting the other details wrong can be worse on the hearing.

Edit: or if you click on the down-arrow by the filename at the left-hand end you get a menu where you can change the rate and sample format.

#3739782 - 02/22/13 08:46 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: Doctor_Wibble]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Originally Posted By: Doctor_Wibble
Depends how you are opening the file!
To open the PCM in Audacity, you need to do 'import raw', and tell it the details (unsigned 8-bit pcm, no endianness, mono, 22050Hz) because there's no way for it to know. I think the 22050 bit is what you're after but getting the other details wrong can be worse on the hearing.

Edit: or if you click on the down-arrow by the filename at the left-hand end you get a menu where you can change the rate and sample format.

Yep, he is right. Most probably its the 22050 Hz which you forgot to set.
As far as I remember, the sound engine is capable of playing WAVs now, right?
If I can find some time during the weekend, I will try to convert all sounds to WAV to make it easier to work with them.

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3739783 - 02/22/13 08:51 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: Staniol]  
Doctor_Wibble Offline
Doctor_Wibble  Offline

Originally Posted By: Staniol
If I can find some time during the weekend, I will try to convert all sounds to WAV to make it easier to work with them.

The easiest way to batch-convert PCM to WAV is to just add a WAV header on to each file - a short program and a 'for' loop can do this!

#3739790 - 02/22/13 09:15 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
So it remains raw, without a header? That is not much of an improvement. smile

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3739819 - 02/22/13 12:00 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Arneh - do you know what surface attributes are supported in the game? I'd created a stainless steel for some of the switches. But it is just flat in the game. I know the comment field can hold some attributes, but I don't what works.

#3739842 - 02/22/13 01:31 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
Arneh - do you know what surface attributes are supported in the game? I'd created a stainless steel for some of the switches. But it is just flat in the game. I know the comment field can hold some attributes, but I don't what works.

Seems that supported in some form are:
color
reflectivity
specularity
luminosity
transparency
translucency
smooth
texture

#3739873 - 02/22/13 02:55 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

messyhead, if you use shaders or vertex map - game doesn't support it.

#3739991 - 02/22/13 06:19 PM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: thealx]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: thealx
messyhead, if you use shaders or vertex map - game doesn't support it.

Well I was using a metal that was in the presets, and one of the plastics. I'll check if the presets use a different shader.

#3740367 - 02/23/13 08:27 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: arneh]  
messyhead Offline
messyhead  Offline

Originally Posted By: arneh

Seems that supported in some form are:
color
reflectivity
specularity
luminosity
transparency
translucency
smooth
texture

I'm not sure if this surface is supported or not. Here's the surface properties. It doesn't use any shaders. Do I need to add detail to the comment field?

Here's how it looks in LW

But in the game, it's just flat

I noticed in the Hind, that the switches are textured. Was this to get round this problem?

I've tried removing the texture from the diffuse and bump, but it makes no difference.

#3740369 - 02/23/13 08:37 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: messyhead]  
thealx Offline
thealx  Offline

You need to texturing everything if you want to have vertex normals and light shading effects. I think lwo2eeo just ignored surfaces without textures and don't create normals for it, that's why light don't affect it. Just experience, maybe I'm wrong. Diffuse ignored too by the way.

#3740381 - 02/23/13 09:38 AM Re: Blackhawk project [Re: thealx]  
arneh Offline
arneh  Offline

Oslo, Norway
I'm not sure if this surface is supported or not. Here's the surface properties. It doesn't use any shaders. Do I need to add detail to the comment field?

It's supported in that the surface is used in EECH, but a many of the attributes you use are ignored.
Texture is only used for Color, so your diffuse and bump maps are ignored.

Quote:
But in the game, it's just flat

Well, it they would need a light source to have reflection. I don't think most cockpits in EECH use any directed light, just diffuse light. For the Hind I did add the sun as a light source (you can see when manouvering that the light changes in the cockpit. It doesn't do that in the other cockpits).

Quote:
I noticed in the Hind, that the switches are textured. Was this to get round this problem?

But, yes, that's the main way of having it look good.

Quote:
I've tried removing the texture from the diffuse and bump, but it makes no difference.

It makes no difference because those are ignored in any case smile

Originally Posted By: thealx
You need to texturing everything if you want to have vertex normals and light shading effects. I think lwo2eeo just ignored surfaces without textures and don't create normals for it, that's why light don't affect it.

I think lighting works for untextured surfaces too.

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.