Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Sheesh, you guys are impatient!

biggrin

I'm currently sitting in an airport lounge on Koh Samui, Thailand. Next stop: Bangkok. Then Amsterdam. Then Zurich. Then back to the East Front.

Charge

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3210091 - 02/17/11 09:48 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
You mean you are not running WitE on your laptop and uploading AAR's while waiting?

#3210394 - 02/17/11 05:55 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Well, I just gave up on try number 7. Para, what is the best way you keep your guys supplied? I get to Moscow (or even partially in Moscow) and all my front line troops show decent supply but for fuel (which is of course big) and show -1 on the "sp" notation. I tried blowing past Moscow to Stalingrad one of the campaigns and those poor bastards got cut off and destroyed.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 02/17/11 05:58 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3210509 - 02/17/11 07:30 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Airdrop01]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Supply is a huge problem in this game....I would trade a couple of Infantry Corps for RR repair units that actually work "right".

I have been reading some on the official Matrix forum and alot of people are saying that you just cannot win. Personally, I think maybe Hitler was wrong............... biggrin

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3210627 - 02/17/11 09:44 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
2Lt_Joch Offline
2Lt_Joch  Offline

Montreal, Canada.
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Sheesh, you guys are impatient!

biggrin

well its about time you came back...

I want to know who shot J.R....... We may need a season one recap as well...popcorn

Intel Q9550, Gyga P35-DS3R, XFX 6950 XXX, 27" widescreen, 8 g. DDR2 @800, 2xWDRaptor 36g HD @ RAID 0, 1tb WD Caviar black HD, X-Fi Fatal1ty, win 7 64bit ultimate, Cougar/FSSB/HS1, Tir4.
pilot
#3211163 - 02/18/11 03:01 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Home again!

My rucksack is still MIA somewhere between Bangkok, Amsterdam and Zürich though...

skyisfalling

I promise I'll post an update on Saturday.

@Airdrop: you simply can't keep you mobile units supplied forever when they are advancing rapidly. Just like in WW2, after 3-4 weeks of rapid offensive operations you will need to put in a brief resting period to let your railheads catch up a bit. Air supply drops are very important, and the "HQ buildup" option is a very powerful tool to fix supply issues, although with a heavy hit on the transportation pool.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

#3212086 - 02/19/11 01:56 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Sure, he posts holiday pics before the AAR update. Tsk tsk.

#3212342 - 02/19/11 07:56 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Ok, back to Russia!

Charge

Turn 18, October 16th 1941

One word: mud.

Forget about fighting a war during the dreaded Rasputitsa, the "time without roads". While the supply echelons of my divisions desperately try to move ammo, fuel and supplies to the fighting regiments, the front lines become virtually static. Divisions are reduced to the fighting strength of small Kampfgruppen, attacks become a pointless waste of effort.

I use this turn mainly to reorganize my units and start building a line of defensive positions behind my main line.

In Army Group North's sector the Finnish formations continue to replace the German units east of Leningrad, freeing up reserves and making the northernmost front blizzard-proof.
Around Leningrad I've formed a reserve of three Infantry divisions which will be transported to the Rzhev-Moscow area.

South of Lake Ilmen I have my armoured reserve of 3 Panzer and 2 Motorized Infantry divisions. This strong force with 468 tanks will form the northern pincer of my attack to cut off that soviet front bulge towards Velikie Luki.

In the Moscow area I've pulled back the four weakest Panzerdivisions back to the railhead at Smolensk to use the mud period for refitting. The weakest one, 12th Panzerdivision was down to 46 tanks. These four Divisions will form the southern thrust of Operation Westerwald, which will start once the mud period ends. The success of this operation should result in a shorter frontline, netting me 5-6 divisions to strengthen my lines around Moscow. And destroy some 20 Soviet divisions, among them quite a few of the cavalry formations that could really pose a nuisance in case of enemy breakthroughs.

From Moscow all the way down to Voroshilovgrad the situatuion is the same: The Red Army withdraws east, my forces follow. The Soviets seem to make a stand at Voronezh though, which means I'll try another Panzer thrust to encircle the defending units, once my Panzers stop sinking into the mud...

In the south the situation is still a bit chaotic. My rapid advance has lead to an over-extended line here, with the bulk of my infantry formations still trying to catch up to the mobile divisions. I had to order both 16th Panzerdivision and SS Wiking to withraw in order to avoid encirclement while 16th MotInf division had to abandon Voroshilovgrad to stop a Soviet advance into XXIV PzKps flank. Rumours say the Führer threw a tantrum when hearing the news...

Another problem is the huge "pocket" west of Rostov. Due to a number of ports all those Red Army units aren't really cut off from their supply, which means that sooner or later I'll have to deal with them.

Still, I am confident to get that situation sorted out in due time.

In the far south the 73th Infantry division has destroyed the trapped Soviet 339th, 290th and 30th rifle divisions, killing almost 2000 men and capturing a further 16,000.

Other than that no offensive operations were initiated. I doubt I can take Sevastopol this year. It already sports strong garrisons in heavy fortifications, so anything besides a well-prepared full army attack supported by all the heavy artillery I can get would only end in a bloodbath for attacker. If I can isolate it and form a front line at the isthmus of Kerch I'll be already more than happy.

All in all I'm still confident, but the expanse of the front line already gives me a small headache.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 08/20/11 06:40 PM.

#3212445 - 02/19/11 10:07 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Is the mud as bad in the south?

If not, I'd use eliminate the pockets in the Stalino area, rush some of the units eastward to keep up the front and pull the rest down south to split the large pocket into several pieces or at least try to capture the most important harbors.

#3212497 - 02/19/11 11:21 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

That pocket down south might be a problem in the winter...

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3213591 - 02/21/11 02:33 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
mcray Offline
mcray  Offline

Hi,
Turn 18, right? Your frontline north of Smolensk looks rather frightening. Whatever the outcome of "Westerwald", it leaves you with a salient around Moscow. I just went through a whole blizzard season in my GC, and I know what the Soviets can do to an exposed German Army. Although I managed to grab Leningrad and Moscow by turn 17 (Soviets down to 2.6 Mio men), and with a very short frontline - I barely had enough troops to hold the line. Why are your "Westerwald"- arrows that far west ?

#3216356 - 02/23/11 08:18 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Well, we're waiting.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3216493 - 02/23/11 10:09 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I believe he's been recalled to Berlin. We've all taken a step backward, and you, OG, having been daydreaming about flying a Cessna over the hills of the Fatherland, neglected to do so and thus appear to have stepped forward. You should probably report to the mouth of the Don River with all due haste. As you appear nearly surrounded there, and in poor supply, I would also advise having your affairs in order before so reporting.

Last edited by Airdrop01; 02/23/11 10:16 PM.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#3216625 - 02/24/11 12:16 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Damn, I hate it when that happens.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3216863 - 02/24/11 07:22 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: oldgrognard]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
Herr General OG may be needing his thick woolly socks...

#3216892 - 02/24/11 09:12 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
The release of DCS: A-10c unfortunately had quite some impact on my command of the fatherland's forces the last days.

I'll post an update later this evening.

@mcray: welcome to SimHQ!
I agree, this is gonna get tough soon. The reason why Westerwald is rather limited in scope is that I fear I can't clear out the pocket soon enough before the blizzard starts. I would like to withdraw my Panzerdivisions back to the safety of large cities ASAP.

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 02/24/11 09:17 AM.

#3216946 - 02/24/11 11:27 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Äch ak-zep-tiere Ihre dömmlichen Ausreden nicht!
General! Äch ärrwarrte Ihren Bäricht. Ond lassen Sä mäch nie wieder so lange warten!

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3217104 - 02/24/11 02:28 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Ssnake]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Post a pic or 2 of your rail net if you can.

It's my biggest problem, although it's gotten better now that I know you have to return all those little independant RR repair guys to HQ every freakin turn.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3218940 - 02/26/11 12:28 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Will do, Nixer.

My dad's in hospital since Thursday so I'm a bit busy right now, updates will have to wait for a couple of days, sorry guys.

#3219027 - 02/26/11 03:08 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Man....... all our best to your dad Para.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Page 4 of 33 1 2 3 4 5 6 32 33

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.