Forums » SimHQ Community » After Action Reports » WitE: Grand Campaign: VICTORY! Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 2 of 65 < 1 2 3 4 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3184559 - 01/20/11 07:23 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign **** [Re: Para_Bellum]
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller

Loc: Lenexa, Kansas, USA
@Joch:

I play WITP and WITPAE. I play WITP a LOT.

I just started with WitE (no grand campaign started yet) and it seems exceptionally well-done. I think it has less micromanagement but it is deep, still, to say the least. I love it so far!!!
"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

I am leaving it as I found it. Take over. It's yours.

Ditat Deus.

#3184594 - 01/20/11 08:27 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Para_Bellum Online   biggrin
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Loc: Germany
Army Group South continues to clear the pockets, forcing another 20 Soviet divisions to surrender, plus a dozen regiments and brigades.

Having successfully ended the Kesselschlacht around Lvov I reorganize my mobile units and move them into the start-off positions for the next phase, the attack on Kiev. In the north III Panzerkorps with 13th and 14th Panzerdivisions and 16th MotInf division, reinforced by LSSAH Motorized Infantry division, in the south XIV Panzerkorps with 9th PzDiv, 25th MotInf division, reinforced by SS Wiking MotInf division and XXXXVIII Panzerkorps with 11th and 16th Panzerdivision.

Again, I have to wait for the infantry corps to catch up. This time it really hurts me to keep the Panzers waiting because the fuel situation is rather well here, but with the number of divisions the Red Army starts to put up against me I have no other choice. The Soviets indeed create new divisions as quickly as I destroy them. This is gonna get tough.

Down South nothing spectacular happens. The Romanians and the infantry of XI and LIV Korps march towards Odessa.

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3184611 - 01/20/11 08:55 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon

The AAR looks very interesting. I might end up having to get the game myself.

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust

#3184828 - 01/21/11 07:24 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Heretic Offline

Loc: GER
I'm not gonna buy the game, but I'll read this AAR to the end(sieg). biggrin

The attack on Moscow and any incursions into the Caucasus are going to be extremely interesting.

Please refrain from taking Stalingrad. biggrin

#3184902 - 01/21/11 09:06 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Turn 5

In the far North Finland enters the war!

II and IV Finnish Corps advance on Leningrad, but they will not push past the "Finnish no attack line" until I have actually taken the city. Having the Finns bolster my lines up north (they are far better prepared for the Russian winter than the Germans) is worth taking Leningrad for alone. There are some 40-50 divisions around Leningrad, this is going to get ugly.

Panzergruppe 4 consolidates its position east of Pskov with the finally arriving infantry corps and pushes a bit further east, towards lake Ilmen. Supply situation is getting better with the railheads approaching Pskov, but the Panzer and Motorized divisions are still in no position for the great breakthrough towards Lake Ladoga in the north to cut off Leningrad. I have to tell myself I don't have to rush, it's still July and the Russian winter is still far away. No point in grinding down my mobile formations as long as their combat power is diminished.

In the centre the Red Army pulls back the bulk of its forces from the Dnepr! Panzergruppe 2 took too long crossing the Berezina and the Denpr, there goes my chances of easily pocketing the Soviet troops defending the river line. OTOH, Panzergruppe 3's supply situation is pretty bad, I doubt they could manage more than a 40-50 mile thrust south at the moment anyway. They're still more than 200 miles from the railheads. The railwaymen of Feldeisenbahndirektion 2, attached to Army Group 2 are working day and night to repair and re-gauge the rail lines, but it still takes time to cover the 500 miles from Brest-Litowsk to Smolensk.

To the south Panzergruppe 1's Panzer Divisions break through the Soviet front south of Vinnitsa and north of Zhitomir! I haven't managed to seal the pocket though, there's still a 50 mile gap west of Kiev. Again I start to wonder if I haven't bitten off too much. There's some 40+ divisions inside that pocket...

In the far south 11th Army and 4th Romanian Army continue their advance on Odessa while 3rd Romanian Army covers the flanks to the north.

Edited by Para_Bellum (01/21/11 09:08 AM)

#3184959 - 01/21/11 09:54 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
2Lt_Joch Offline

Loc: Montreal, Canada.
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum

Again I start to wonder if I haven't bitten off too much. There's some 40+ divisions inside that pocket...

Fortes fortuna adiuvat

the real question is when to start the push on Moscow?

#3185292 - 01/21/11 03:40 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
oldgrognard Online   content

Veteran

Loc: USA
Great AAR; I'm lovin' it !

Do you have a recap of casualties so far ?

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

#3185309 - 01/21/11 03:53 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Turn 6

In the far North the Finns are closing in on Leningrad from the North, while I and XXIII corps are engaging Red Army units west of the Narva river.

In the Pskov sector I used 3rd Motorized Infantry division to break through the Soviet lines and together with II corps thrust south towards Velikie Luki.
From the Vitebsk area this attack is supported by the infantry of LIII corps and the 8th Panzerdivision. 20+ Russian divisions are cut off! The encirclement is, yet again, far from tightly closed, but the Red Army in this area simply lacks the powerful mobile formations to break such a pocket.

At Smolensk the bulk of Panzergruppe 3 is still resting and resupplying. If the Red Army doesn't pull back its forces east of the Dnepr I'll try to cut them off with a pincer movement from Panzergruppe 3 moving south-east, and Panzergruppe 2 from the Gomel area moving north-east. A success of such an operation would cut off a large part of the Soviet forces currently defending the approaches to Moscow, around 30 divisions. Panzergruppe 2

In Army Group South sector the giant pocket around Zhitomir holds! The divisions of III and XXXXVIII Panzerkorps beat back all attempts to break out, while SS Wiking Division stops a corps-strength attack to relieve the pocket from the south-east, destroying more than 200 russian tanks in the process. The divisions of 6th and 17th armies will soon finish them off.

To the south Romanian and German forces continue their advance on Odessa and towards the Bug river, with the leading elements of 73rd Infantry division coming to within 10 miles of the city.

Originally Posted By: oldgrognard
Great AAR; I'm lovin' it !

Do you have a recap of casualties so far ?

Thanks!

Casualties at the end of turn 6:

Axis: 115.000 men, 970 guns, 750 tanks, 410 aircraft
Soviet: 1.110.000 men, 14.140 guns, 8551 tanks, 6543 aircraft.

Edited by Para_Bellum (01/21/11 04:32 PM)

#3185442 - 01/21/11 06:10 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Turn 7

Nothing new to report in the north, the Finns have reached the outskirts of Leningrad and the "no attack line" which they won't cross until Leningrad is taken, I and XXIII corps still close in on Leningrad from the west and XXVI and XXVIII corps start advancing towards Leningrad from the south. Supply situation of Panzergruppe 1 has improved quite a bit, next turn I should probably be able to unleash my spearheads again.

The great Kesselschlacht west of Velikie Lukie is as good as over, during this week's fighting the Red Army lost ~ 150.000 men in this pocket.

South of Mogilev the 134th and 292th infantry divisions blast a hole into the Russian front. In repeated attacks, supported by corps artillery and Luftwaffe attacks counting up to 250+ aircraft, they rout five Soviet divisions off the battlefield! The door opened, the divisions of XXXXVII, XXXXVI and XXIV Panzerkorps rumble towards Smolensk. At the same time VII corps attacks across the Dnepr west of Smolensk and breaches the Soviet lines. 19th and 20th Panzerdivisions and 18th Motorized Infantry division exploit through the gap and link up with the spearheads of Panzergruppe 2. Another 20 Red Army divisions are cut off.

Army Group South finishes the Battle of Zhitomir. Cut off by Panzergruppe 1 the Red Army loses more than 250.000 men and almost 2.000 tanks in this battle. Total losses for the Red Army in this week alone come to 450.000 men, while Axis losses are ~9.000 casualties.

While Panzergruppe 1 moves into position for the attack on Kiev a Kampfgruppe of the Mobile Hungarian Corps, LV corps and XI corps push east towards Kirovograd the major Red Army airbase in this area.

In the south Odessa has been isolated and 11th army's division are ready for the assault next turn. The city is defended by 30.000 Soviet soldiers and has been heavily fortified, so I don't expect an easy victory. But with corps' artillery and air support and led by the crack 22nd Luftlandedivision we will take the fortress.

Edited by Para_Bellum (01/21/11 06:15 PM)

#3185570 - 01/21/11 09:13 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Turn 8, 14th August 1941

After eight weeks of fighting it's time for a little review. So far everything goes exceptionally well. The previously played scenarios have seemingly prepared me quite well for the real thing. I keep an eye on logistics, re-organize corps and armies when necessary and keep Guderian's saying "Klotzen, nicht kleckern!" in mind to keep my Panzerkorps together, avoid using Panzerdivisions for "lesser" tasks and mainly try to use my mobile formations for exploitation through the gaps created by the infantry corps.

OTOH in this phase of the campaign there's just not too much the Soviets can do. They have to trade space for time and hope for mud and, ultimately, the winter.

My divisions are still in good shape, although the Panzer strength has dropped from 3.800 at the beginning of Barbarossa to 2.800 by now. Panzer strength in the divisions ranges from ~100 to 150+, so I'm not (yet) worried though.

Casualties since June, 22nd:

Axis: 160.000 men, 1.384 guns, 1.000 tanks, 529 aircraft
Soviet: 1.853.000 men, 21.000 guns, 12.420 tanks, 7.000 aircraft

On the Leningrad front I'm now ready for Panzergrupp 4's "big push". The mobile divisions of LVI and XXXXI Panzerkorps are at 90% fuel supply, the infantry corps have caught up and several attacks have provided for good start-off positions for the new offensive. The elimination of the pocket west of Velikie Lukie has secured the flank, we're ready to roll next turn. I just hope I can manage to secure that 150 mile flank from Pskov to Lake Ladoga. A dozen infantry divisions will have to do.

In the centre the battle between Mogilev and Smolensk ended with the destruction of the trapped Red army forces, at least 100.000 Soviet casualties. 7th Panzerdivision has broken through the front east of Smolensk and has reached Vyazma, 120 miles west of Moscow. 100 miles to the south 17th Panzerdivision leads XXXXVII Panzerkorps towards Bryansk.

I'll probably try to swing Panzergruppe 3 to the north and Panzergruppe 2 to the south of Moscow.

Around Kiev von Kleist's Panzergruppe 1 through a bold assault across the Denpr managed to surround another 18 Soviet divisions. 6th Army with its four corps stands ready to clear out the pocket and take Kiev next turn. Nice surprise: during this operation the commanding general of XXXXI Panzerkorps, General Werner Kempf has been promoted to Generaloberst (colonel general)!
Furthermore a battle group consisting of SS Wiking Division and 11th Panzerdivision have thrust towards Kirovograd, cutting off 7 Soviet divisions. Again the pocket isn't really sealed tight, but I want to use the current disorganized state of the Russian forces.

On the Black Sea coast Odessa falls to 11th Army's determined attack. 20.000 prisoners are taken. The next objectives are Nikolaev and Krivoi Rog, then we'll see what to do about the Crimea. I already realize that the further I advance, the more stretched my lines get.

And here's the big picture:

Edited by Para_Bellum (01/21/11 09:25 PM)

Page 2 of 65 < 1 2 3 4 ... 64 65 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pizza is coming to me while I am gaming. That's as righteous as it can be!
by letterboy1
58 minutes 34 seconds ago
Family pets passing
by Stormtrooper
Today at 05:38 PM
Microsoft deploys robotic security guards
by Desert Eagle
Today at 02:02 PM
Steam Sale coming Nov 26
by JohnnyChemo
Today at 01:32 PM
And they go to penalties...
by DBond
Today at 01:15 PM
DCS November Surprise Sale
by marko1231123
Today at 12:25 PM
Elite Dangerous final gamma release available in less than ah hour.
by komemiute
Today at 07:58 AM
Beyond ABBA: music from Sweden
by Jayhawk
Today at 06:31 AM
Women's libido is... complicated.
by Desert Eagle
Yesterday at 03:43 PM
Sam Gordon
by Chaz
Yesterday at 03:22 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.