Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3170541 - 01/03/11 07:30 AM Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees!  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
If you are looking at this, you must be interested in how to modify the Thrustmaster (TM) Warthog joystick to make it more functional as a center mounted stick. It baffles me how TM could put so much time and effort into building such a high quality stick, and overlook this one key item. I looked around for awhile and couldn't find anyone else who had successfully done it, so I thought I would try it myself.

For those who may not be aware, if you fly with the stick in a side-stick arrangement, like how the F-16 is set up, having the stick aligned dead on with the middle of the base works just fine. However, if you fly with a center mounted stick, it is much more comfortable to offset the centerline of the grip on the stick about 15 degrees to the left. This allows your wrist to be in a much more comfortable position when flying. The problem is, you can't just rotate the entire stick assembly, because that takes the axis with it, meaning that if you wanted to nose the aircraft straight down, you would actually have to push the Warthog 15 degrees to the left of center . So, the solution is to somehow change the alignment of the grip while not moving the base that houses the sensors and stuff that control the input to the computer... are you following what I'm saying?

After fretting over messing with my new $500 controller, I finally got over it and took the joystick apart. Surprisingly, it only took about half a beer to figure out the solution... and for those of you who know me, that isn't much time at all! beercheers

So, if you aren't afraid to play with your joystick (all right, just get it out of your system now... geez), then read on and I will show you the way I figured out to do this. It only took about an hour to accomplish the whole project, including quite a bit of time spent working on liquid courage (beer). Hint: too much 'liquid courage' can start to hinder your ability to complete the project correctly, or at all, so please only muster enough courage to get the job done.
Disclaimer! By doing this, I am sure you are voiding your warranty on the stick, so do so at your own risk. It's not my fault if in 3 months a switch goes bad and TM refuses to honor the warranty, even though this mod would have no effect what so ever on any operation of the stick or it's components. Proceed at your own risk!

PARTS and TOOLS LIST

Two each #8-32 x 7/8" machine screws. I use hex head bolts as I like the look of them better. I get mine from Fastener Express. They have a great selection, offer quality products, and are very reasonable in price.
#29 drill bit
#8-32 tap
9/64 Allen wrench. This is for the two machine screws, so if you use something else, you just the need the corresponding driver for your particular screws.
2.5 mm Allen wrench
Small flat blade screwdriver or jeweler’s screwdriver
Hack saw or jig saw with a metal cutting blade
Small file. A hobby file or jewelers file works great. It has to be a metal file though, sandpaper won't work on metal.
Hand drill
For those of you not in the U.S., you can substitute your favorite metric machine screws with corresponding drill bit and tap. I would recommend an M3 size about 20 mm long.

A word of caution here: Be careful with the trigger. Once you remove the right half of the stick, it is only staying in place by one point of the left side, and if you touch it, it will pop off, sending at least one of the springs flying across the room. So either be real careful, or take it off in a controlled manner, setting it and the two springs aside.

At this point you can see that the stick is resting on a spindle held in place by two tabs, trapped between posts in the base of the stick. There is also one screw holding it in place, along with a ground wire. Take that screw out, clip the little zip tie holding the wiring harness in place, and remove that single wiring harness from the green circuit board. It should come loose with just a gentle pull. Don't yank on it, as you don't want to pull any of the wires loose from the connector!
I would recommend marking the spindle so you know which side should be facing up during reassembly. I forgot to do this until a while later, and had to do some unneeded checking to make sure I got it back in correctly later.

Once free, you can take the nut off of the spindle and set it aside. You can see in this photo where I point out the two tabs that hold the spindle in place. Now for the first really scary part; we are going to cut those off. Yes, cut them right off.
The metal is soft enough that you can use a hack saw if you need to, but I would use a jig saw with a metal cutting blade or better yet, a band saw if you have access to one. If using a hack saw or jig saw, make sure that you clamp the spindle into a vice first. You don't want it moving around on you as you cut those tabs off. One nick in those wires and you are in for trouble.
Try to save a least one of the tabs after you cut them off for use during reassembly.

Here is the spindle after the tabs have been cut off and the area filed smooth with a small file. Notice NOW I marked the spindle with an 'R' indicating which side was which. Better late than never I guess.

Okay, now on to the other scary part, drilling two holes into the grip itself. These will serve to hold the set screws in place once tapped accordingly. Drill them on opposite sides of the stick about 3/16" below the bottom of wide, flat part of the joystick. Mine had some round casting ejector marks right where I wanted to drill, so that gave me a nice reference point. Use your #29 drill bit, and drill all the way through the grip casing, staying as perpendicular to the grip as possible.
Once you drill both holes, then use the 8-32 tap, and thread the holes. I've had a lot of practice lately in tapping holes, so I do mine with a cordless drill rather than using a hand tap, but that choice is yours. If you haven't had much experience, I suggest practicing on some scrap metal before messing with your Warthog. Once tapped, start a screw into each hole turning it far enough until it just clears the inside wall of the grip. This not only ensures that you successfully tapped the hole, but also sets us up for reassembly. Make sure that you get all of the metal shavings left over from drilling and tapping out of the stick. I hand picked mine out. If you used compressed air or something like that, just make sure that they don't fly up and land on the circuit board. That could be bad...

This shows the other hole, along with another item marked by the yellow triangle. Remember that tab I said to save when you were having at the spindle with your saw? Well, this is it. In order for the screw to hold the ground wire in place, you need a spacer here. You might as well use the one designed for it. Just drop it in place as shown.

Alright, now for reassembly. Put the locking nut back on the spindle, then lay the spindle in the left side of the grip. It'll be just free floating for awhile, but that's okay. We'll tighten it up later. Put the ground wire in place on top of the spacer, and hold it in place using the original screw. No need to get all he-man and over tighten these things, hand snug is all that is required. Go ahead and plug in the wiring connector... green wire goes to the front of the stick. Don't worry about the exact alignment of the spindle at this point, we can adjust that later.

If you pulled the trigger and springs out, put them back in now. The lower spring is probably still attached to the trigger, but the bigger top spring will want to fight with you a bit. Just take your time and it will go back into place. If any of the other buttons have come loose, make sure that they are back into their correct locations. Now go ahead and put the right side of the grip in place fiddling with it top and bottom to get the trigger and pinky paddle switch in place. Make sure no wires are sticking out of the grip and just keep light constant pressure on it as you manipulate it and shortly you will be rewarded be hearing a faint click as the two halves snap together. While keeping pressure to keep both halves together, put one of the bolts in and snug it up. Now you can take a breather and double check that all of the parts are in place as they should be. Make sure you check the trigger and can feel it press the switch for both stage buttons. With all of that back in place, but back in all of the remaining side screws (remember that the one closest to the trigger is longer than the rest), and the top cover with its screws. Now you can snug up those two new set screws that hold the spindle in place using the 9/64 Allen wrench. No need to get it exact at this point, just snug them up so that the spindle stays inside the stick when you pick it up.

You can see in this picture that the original alignment line in yellow has now magically transformed into a glorious offset alignment line. Cool huh?

So, go ahead and mount the stick back onto the gimbal base. With the entire thing reassembled, now you can set it to that comfortable 15 degree (or whatever suits your fancy) offset and tighten the new set screws. The best part is that if you want it just a bit more or less turned, you can just loosen the set screws, turn the grip, and tighten them up again! HURRAH! And you didn't have to mess with any of the gimbals or sensors in the base. BIGGER HURRAH!

Here is a picture of the throttle installed in my pit.

And another shot. Well, that's it boys and girls. You now know everything you need to mod your Warthog into a center stick with the correct offset! If you have any questions, please feel free to drop me a line. I don't know what else I can add, but I'll be happy to try.

Thanks and happy simming!
Dud

They say "If you didn't fail, how would you learn?"... I learn a LOT!
http://cnadeau.webs.com/index.htm
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3170602 - 01/03/11 12:32 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Lobo_63 Offline
Lobo_63  Offline

Canada
Why not just mount the stick with the required offset and then adjust the rotatedxaxis in the WH software?

The most important thing in fighting was shooting, next the various tactics in coming into a fight and last of all flying ability itself.

— Lt. Colonel W. A. 'Billy' Bishop, RCAF.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook version 8c now available for download here:
http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

#3170896 - 01/03/11 07:29 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
F19_CoNa Offline
sim junkie
F19_CoNa  Offline
sim junkie

Kallinge, Sweden
i was just thinking the same. No need to open the stick and void the guarantees.

RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, 5); //simulates a 5° twisted side stick like the F-16
RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, -15); //simulates a -15° twisted centered stick like the A-10.
RotateDXAxis(DX_X_AXIS, DX_Y_AXIS, 90); //transform X to Y and Y to X

Last edited by F19_CoNa; 01/03/11 07:35 PM.

..and lead us not into temptation......I'll find it myself.
#3171047 - 01/03/11 11:07 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Nicely done Dudley but....well they said it for me.

Overall though nice work and I think it looks good in the pit.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3171111 - 01/04/11 12:36 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Ahhhh.... see what happens when you charge forward with an idea before fully checking out the capabilities of the product as delivered. I have some great modifications to wheels to make them round too!

I think I'll have this topic pulled... oh well, mine's unique now!

Thanks,
Chris

#3171198 - 01/04/11 02:57 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Originally Posted By: DudleyAz
I think I'll have this topic pulled... oh well, mine's unique now!

I actually like your modification. I won't be doing anything to my unit just yet but will keep this in mind.

Definitely wouldn't want you to pull the topic. However I would like to have it posted on Warthogworld.com if you don't mind. Don't worry what others may say, I think it's a clever idea!

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3171252 - 01/04/11 04:42 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Caveman Offline
Caveman  Offline

Huntsville, AL, USA
THANKS FOR THE FANTASTIC POST!!!

I had to laugh when I was reading it because I had the same question(s) as you and criticisms of the Warthog due to the 15° oversight...

AND... was so relieved to see the easy solution, which is so ergonomcally sensible considering the stick base can be cylindrical when mounted in a cockpit.

Your mod looks great and may inspire someone to do a Cougar mod... Does anyone know if the Cougar can be modded with a 15° offset for center mounting? I'd contacted Ian Johnson (U2NXT) about it a while back and he was going to look into it... Not sure if he's had a chance to look into it. Because... AFAIK, there is no "easy" axis offset rotation in the Cougar...

Anyone?

Win XP w/directX 9.0b / MSI Neo2 Plat / Athlon 64 3500+ (939, 90nm) & XP-90-Panaflow 92mm / Lian-Li 1100B / PC P&C 510 Deluxe SLI PSU / 1 Gig OCZ 3200 Rev 2 / BFG 6800 ultra & NV5 Cooler / Audigy 2Zs / 74Gig SATA Raptor / 80Gig Barracuda IV IDE / Plextor PX-712A DVD Burner / Lite on 56X CDR / NEC FDD
#3171269 - 01/04/11 05:05 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: Caveman]  
9Thumbs Offline
9Thumbs  Offline

To center mount the Cougar you might consider making yourself a short screw-on extension. You can then rotate the grip to where you want it, and you can mount the base a little lower, below your legs.

9T

#3171279 - 01/04/11 05:12 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
DudleyAz -
I once took a Thrustmaster stick and put it onto a CH Products base to get the "best of both worlds." My friends laughed and called it the ThrustStick but it was my stick and I stuck to it.

You've shown how any stick can go onto a Thrustmaster Warthog base - reminds me of my brilliant idea many years ago! cheers Toast a pint to the next wacky idea!

WC

crew

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3173410 - 01/06/11 10:06 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: Lobo_63]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Originally Posted By: Lobo_63
Why not just mount the stick with the required offset and then adjust the rotatedxaxis in the WH software?

Because:

of this

It should be possible to drill new holes for the travel limiter but I haven't attempted it yet.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3173525 - 01/07/11 12:52 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
DudleyAz Offline
DudleyAz  Offline

Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for all the input folks! Maybe we'll leave this post up anyway... seems there is still a lot of technical issue with the software offset of the axis and with some of the other ideas about rotating some of the other axis limiter parts inside... which would also void the warranty. Either way, I now have several hours on my modded hogstick and it works wonderfully... so I'm happy! copter

Crew: I did this same type of mod to a buddies CH Products Fighter Stick and it worked great as well.

Caveman: I modded my old Cougarstick to a extended center stick with a 15 degree offset using a 6" extension with a modified PS2 cable in it that worked pretty good, but not as clean as this mod. I am reworking that Cougar into a collective now. When I open it up, I'll take a look and see if it could have the same 15 degree mod done to it and let you know.

Thanks all!
Dud

#3173560 - 01/07/11 01:36 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Well, I wonder if it would be possible for Ian J or some other CNC guy to just make new spindles? Make 'em identical to the original except with a 15 degree (or 10, or whatever) offset between the tabs on the shaft and the rounded metal V's on the base. Then it would still fit a stock WH grip with no need for drilling/re-threading. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would be a simple matter of:

opening up the grip,

unplugging the wiring connector,

unscrewing the spindle (and grounding wire),

transplanting the PS/2 style connector from original spindle to the modified one,

installing the new spindle and reassembling the grip.

Now, I'm not a CNC guy so I don't know how difficult it would be to make something like a replacement spindle, but short of a male/female adapter that fits between the grip and the base (and provides an offset angle) this would be a less hazardous mod to the layperson (read: ME).

Last edited by jocko-; 01/07/11 01:54 AM. Reason: Trying to put my spastic thoughts into concise words

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3173625 - 01/07/11 03:35 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
Joe Offline
Veteran
Joe  Offline
Veteran

Bridgewater, NJ
Just because the Warthog has a square(ish) travel limiter doesn't mean the rotation doesn't work. A little bit of axis zoom and that problem goes away.

#3173647 - 01/07/11 04:18 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Yes, but the software cannot change the physical feedback at the 'corners' from feeling askew.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3174241 - 01/07/11 10:02 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
El_Roto Offline
El_Roto  Offline

Kenosha, WI (Brrrr!)
Probably one of the best posts I've ever read. Congratulations on a job well done and explained even better.

Life is simple: As you get older, your toys get bigger.
#3174378 - 01/08/11 01:32 AM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: jocko-]  
Lobo_63 Offline
Lobo_63  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted By: jocko-
Yes, but the software cannot change the physical feedback at the 'corners' from feeling askew.

However the corners being slightly askew should only be noticeable if one was sitting there sweeping the control stick through 360 degrees at max deflection, as in a control check.

The most important thing in fighting was shooting, next the various tactics in coming into a fight and last of all flying ability itself.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook version 8c now available for download here:

#3174531 - 01/08/11 12:32 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: Lobo_63]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
However the corners being slightly askew should only be noticeable if one was sitting there sweeping the control stick through 360 degrees at max deflection, as in a control check.
Wouldn't the askew corners have the effect that you can't reach maximum pitch in the game when using the top left and bottom right, or maximum roll in top right and bottom left? (and all the other positions along the edge)

#3174559 - 01/08/11 02:10 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: Lobo_63]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada

Or... when moving the controls during slow speed scissors/dogfights in propeller driven aircraft, when full deflection is needed due to the ineffectiveness of the control surfaces. Think IL2, AH2, RoF and eventually SoW. Are people only flying jets with this stick?

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3174715 - 01/08/11 07:08 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: jocko-]  
Lobo_63 Offline
Lobo_63  Offline

Canada

Or... when moving the controls during slow speed scissors/dogfights in propeller driven aircraft, when full deflection is needed due to the ineffectiveness of the control surfaces. Think IL2, AH2, RoF and eventually SoW. Are people only flying jets with this stick?

Would this not be easily adjusted as per Joe's post above and slight adjustment of the zoom axis?

Last edited by Lobo_63; 01/08/11 07:09 PM.

#3175490 - 01/09/11 07:09 PM Re: Instructions on how to mod your Warthog to offset by 15 degrees! [Re: DudleyAz]  
335th_GRSwaty Offline
335th_GRSwaty  Offline

Hellas
Nice work!

Thanks for sharing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.