Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3168418 - 12/30/10 06:45 PM Are Rof German plans much better ?  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
If the German planes in WW1 were as good as they are in ROF the Germans would have won the war. When I fly most of the German planes in Free Fly (1 vrs 1) I win many battles . When I fly GB an french planes I always get shot down in the first battle. No matter which one i fly.

Were the German plans as a whole that much better or is it just the way the AI for each side is programmed?

The first plane for the german AI is always the FokkerDr1 and it can always turn and get behind me and i am a sitting duck..

Flying a DR1 I have been able to shoot down as many as 6 planes befor coming up aginst a rear gunner aircraft which we all know is the deadlyiest ace in ROF.

Last edited by Pawgy; 12/30/10 06:46 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3168428 - 12/30/10 06:59 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Brigstock Offline
Brigstock  Offline

London, England
Try taking out an Alb DIII against a Camel

#3168431 - 12/30/10 07:01 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Ogami_musashi Offline
Ogami_musashi  Offline

Excuse me but from your post it seems you are a beginner in ROF so i think you should try and read forums to learn more about planes and my biggest advice is to try MP...you'll discover lot's of things smile

#3168449 - 12/30/10 07:22 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Ogami_musashi]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Ogami_musashi
Excuse me but from your post it seems you are a beginner in ROF so i think you should try and read forums to learn more about planes and my biggest advice is to try MP...you'll discover lot's of things smile

not quite a beginner but close. Maybe 200 flights. Just a very poor flyer probably.. Don't have a clue as to what MP is . I fly strickly for fun and mot on line ,ever. Read lots and lots of forums and all ww1 flying books i could find in the libary. If I was a real flyer in ww1 i would be dead many times over and so would most of the other who fly here. Is is just a very fun flying game on the computer. not the real thing and never will be. And you did not come close to answering myquestion but thanks for your reply. Btw , I see you have lots of posts an this forum. .

Last edited by Pawgy; 12/30/10 07:24 PM.
#3168470 - 12/30/10 07:49 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Ogami_musashi Offline
Ogami_musashi  Offline

Originally Posted By: Pawgy

not quite a beginner but close. Maybe 200 flights. Just a very poor flyer probably.. Don't have a clue as to what MP is . I fly strickly for fun and mot on line ,ever. Read lots and lots of forums and all ww1 flying books i could find in the libary. If I was a real flyer in ww1 i would be dead many times over and so would most of the other who fly here. Is is just a very fun flying game on the computer. not the real thing and never will be. And you did not come close to answering myquestion but thanks for your reply. Btw , I see you have lots of posts an this forum. .

My advice was:

1/try and read the forums to learn more about the planes:

Some entente planes are Boom and Zoom planes; If you try to turn with Central planes especially DR.I you are dead for sure.

2/Try MP:

It helps a lot finding the different strengths of planes and you'll discover that the turn planes of Entente side are not less performant that german ones.

No offense in my posts.

#3168471 - 12/30/10 07:49 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Brigstock]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Brigstock
Try taking out an Alb DIII against a Camel

Thanks, I like that match up. I flew the camel and got the ALbie in a few minutes.

Last edited by Pawgy; 12/30/10 07:58 PM.
#3168476 - 12/30/10 07:56 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Ogami_musashi]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
quote=Ogami_musashi]My advice was:

1/try and read the forums to learn more about the planes.
Some entente planes are Boom and Zoom planes; If you try to turn with Central planes especially DR.I you are dead for sure.

2/Try MP:

It helps a lot finding the different strengths of planes and you'll discover that the turn planes of Entente side are not less performant that german ones.

No offense in my posts.

[/quote]

Thanks . I still miss what MP is?

#3168480 - 12/30/10 08:03 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Ogami_musashi Offline
Ogami_musashi  Offline

My advice was:

1/try and read the forums to learn more about the planes.

2/Try MP:

No offense in my posts.

Thanks . I still miss what MP is?

Multiplayer.

You have basically two type of servers: Dogfight servers with small maps; The actual most popular one is a japanese one were you can select any plane of the set (so you can fight entente planes flying an entente plane or vice versa with Central planes); The other type is Coop (cooperative) servers where you select either Entente or Central side and a general mission is assigned to each side (protect bombers, or recon planes, detroy bridges, factory; establish local air superiority etc..); those are servers with large maps where missions are long but can be quite complex especially since ROF has a bomber (soon a second one, the Gotha) where any player can take different positions in the plane (pilot, gunners).
The reference server is called "Syndicate"; If you join there around 10:00 PM GMT you'll find several pilots in a friendly atmosphere and there you'll be able to learn and try different tactics for different aircrafts.

Last edited by Ogami_musashi; 12/30/10 08:04 PM.
#3168487 - 12/30/10 08:18 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Mogster Offline
Hotshot
Mogster  Offline
Hotshot

England
reading

WAS C2D 8500 3.16ghz, 285gtx 1gb, 4gig ram, XP NOW Win7 64, I5 2500K, SSD, 8Gig ram, GTX 570
#3168555 - 12/30/10 10:11 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
W1ndy Offline
W1ndy  Offline

Pawgy, the Entente planes are a bit harder to master because of features like mixture and blip , but when you start flying with full engine management they are a lot of fun, and deadly.

The hardest thing is learning how to fight with energy fightrers, the SE5a and the Spad. They won't usually win a turn fight, so you need to fly to their strengths, which is energy fighting. This is very hard, but then the Entente planes become almost unbeatable.

#3168683 - 12/31/10 01:36 AM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Short answer: Yes. German planes are "better."

Long answer: If "better" means "easier to fly." The Germans stressed over and over again that their scouts be easy to fly - that is, act well behaved.

However, they cost more and take longer to build than English or French planes (in the main). And, as always, it came down to numbers and pilots. Who could replace them faster?

As to why the Germans lost the war, you'll have to grab a book or two. I'd recommend S.L.A. Marshall's excellent WWI history to start with.

Hint: air power had as much to do with victory or loss as did the penmanship quality of the Kaiser's wife's dressmaker.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3168736 - 12/31/10 03:57 AM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Dart]  
Copterdrvr Offline
Copterdrvr  Offline

Lafayette, LA. USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
Hint: air power had as much to do with victory or loss as did the penmanship quality of the Kaiser's wife's dressmaker.

HAH-THAT is a good one!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

copter

Skids are for kids!
#3168821 - 12/31/10 09:40 AM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
WWBrian Offline
WWBrian  Offline

I agree with Dart.

I don't know if I would clasify German planes as "better".....just more user-friendly for the beginner.

WingWalker (virtual) Combat Squadron

Intel i7 980X @3.8 GHz | ASUS P6X58D Premium | Antec 1200w PSU | 12GB 1600Mhz RAM
SLI - 2x eVGA GTX 580 3072MB vRAM | Dell 3007WFP 30" + 2x Dell 2007FP 20" @ 5388x1600 res.
Corsair Force GT 240GB SSD - O/S drive | Corsair Force 60GB SSD - ROF drive
WD VelociRaptor 300GB - Game drive | WD Black 1TB - Storage drive
CH HOTAS and TrackIR 5 +TCP | Realtek on-board sound | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

#3168825 - 12/31/10 09:59 AM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
It depends on your style, for me boom n zoom style so the SPAD is the best plane in the game, followed by SE5a then D7f.

The camel is a great turn fighter but not as good as a well flown Dr1.

So in turning central is best, in BnZ allied is best.

Also note that allied planes are generally better at lower altitude, and where do most battles end up when you trade alt for energy? Also if you need to escape and dive away, you are going down to the allies preferred altitude.

#3168871 - 12/31/10 12:49 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

Thanks, I like that match up. I flew the camel and got the ALbie in a few minutes.

He said fly the Albatros against the Sopwith Camel, not the Camel against the Albatros. Try attacking a Sopwith Camel while you are flying an Albatros. You'll see that the German aircraft aren't necessarily better than the Allied ones.

#3168929 - 12/31/10 02:35 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
A properly flown Camel feels like a Jet Fighter against almost everything else. No enemy AI will ever want to go into a right-hand dogfight with you.

But obviously the German In-Line engines are easier to handle, easier to turn with, so I very much like my Pfalz D.III

#3168931 - 12/31/10 02:40 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Josh Echo Offline
Josh Echo  Offline

I don't think the Sopwith Camel feels like a jet fighter. A jet fighter behaves a lot nicer, if nothing else. The closest thing to a jet fighter in this sim would be the Fokker D.VIIF. Fast, great climb, no spin tendency, almost can't stall it at all, and an ability to sustain crazy climbing turns.

#3168981 - 12/31/10 04:18 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Pawgy]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
For my money, nothing comes close to the SPAD XIII in the Hun lineup until the DVII.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#3169007 - 12/31/10 05:01 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Josh Echo]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Josh Echo

He said fly the Albatros against the Sopwith Camel, not the Camel against the Albatros. Try attacking a Sopwith Camel while you are flying an Albatros. You'll see that the German aircraft aren't necessarily better than the Allied ones.

I understand what he said ,thats why I reversed it and found the Camel much better so I could easily shoot down the Albertros. I have not made very many eaasy kills in ROF.

Pawgy

Last edited by Pawgy; 12/31/10 05:10 PM.
#3169010 - 12/31/10 05:09 PM Re: Are Rof German plans much better ? [Re: Dart]  
Pawgy Offline
Pawgy  Offline

Kent, Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Dart
Short answer: Yes. German planes are "better."

Long answer: If "better" means "easier to fly." The Germans stressed over and over again that their scouts be easy to fly - that is, act well behaved.

However, they cost more and take longer to build than English or French planes (in the main). And, as always, it came down to numbers and pilots. Who could replace them faster?

As to why the Germans lost the war, you'll have to grab a book or two. I'd recommend S.L.A. Marshall's excellent WWI history to start with.

Thanks dart. I thought this was a very appropiate answer.

If i new how to multi quote I would try for more replys in one post.

Thanks for all the good replys.

Happy New Year 2011

Pawgy

Last edited by Pawgy; 12/31/10 05:26 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.