Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Air Combat - General » Helicopters » Comanche Gold - TODAY - Possibilities Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3192860 - 01/29/11 09:08 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities ***** [Re: Flyboy]
DavidC99 Offline

Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Won't the extracted/modded files simply work if placed in the CG Demo install folder like for the full game?

I don't believe the demo looks for any PFF file except CGold.pff. You would have to extract everything from Resource.pff and KDV.pff -- not to mention the extra files from Comanche Gold's CGold.pff file. Whether you repack them or not into a new CGold.pff is up to you, of course...

#3192864 - 01/29/11 09:14 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
Flyboy Offline

Loc: England, UK
Ah OK. So what you're saying is I can have several hundred loose files sitting in the demo folder OR I can take several hours to repack them all into the CGOLD.PFF file?

Not much choice then!

#3192867 - 01/29/11 09:20 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: Flyboy]
DavidC99 Offline

Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Ah OK. So what you're saying is I can have several hundred loose files sitting in the demo folder OR I can take several hours to repack them all into the CGOLD.PFF file?

Not much choice then!

Hence why I suggested either:
  1. We ditch this and patch the real problem; or else
  2. We have a program do the packing and unpacking automatically.
The first option is the ideal one; the second one may be slightly more practical, at least in the short run, for users of Vista or Windows 7. If we could find a way to extract files from PFF files from the commandline (as opposed to using a graphical user interface, like the current PFF utility we're using), I could possibly supply a very simple script to automate the entire process.

#3192898 - 01/29/11 10:25 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
Flyboy Offline

Loc: England, UK
I know why you suggested what you did - I was just explaining the situation in a literal sense - as if to highlight how impractical it would turn out to actually be!

#3193015 - 01/30/11 01:17 AM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
El_Lobo Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
I understand what you guys are saying.

I extracted and copied all of the PFF files to the demo directory - multi-selecting and dragging to select them all. After unpacking them and trying to run other missions, all I kept getting was error codes on file loading other than the original mission for the demo when trying to load the missions. It is not working.

The missiles and cannon bullets freeze on the screen in mid air and stay stationary. It worked for the one mission and then the others were not loading. It has to be the exe and internal parameters for resources to access.

Oh well it was worth a try to get it working in Vista. It is the Exe that must be modded as said earlier. I used 7-zip to look inside the Demo.exe and it had some interesting text. I did not compare it to the text in CG3.exe yet.

Edited by El_Lobo (01/30/11 05:01 AM)

#3193031 - 01/30/11 02:33 AM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
DavidC99 Offline

If you want to extract all files from the PFF utility, then the following might work:
  1. Open all of the PFF files in question in the PFF utility that need to be extracted.
  2. Select the first file in the list.
  3. Move the scrollbar to be positioned at the bottom.
  4. Shift-click the last entry.
  5. Confirm that it appears every file is selected.
  6. Extract. Note: If you want to cleanly pack them, move them to a directory one level inside your Comanche Gold directory. If you're using the Demo, this is a new directory inside the Demo director. For example, if the demo is located in C:\CGDemo then you could extract the files to C:\CGDemo\repack
If you'd like to take all of these extracted files and repack them via script into CGold.pff without doing it manually, then the following might work:
  1. Backup a copy of CGold.pff.
  2. Place the following script inside a .cmd file (as long as it has an extension of .cmd, it can be named almost anything) inside your CG directory (or the Demo directory if you're using that):
    Code:
    for /f %%a IN ('dir /A-D /b') do @call pack.exe CGolf.PFF repack\%%a
  3. Replace "repack" in the script with the name of the directory you made earlier.
  4. Run the script.

Disclaimer: Try this at your own risk. I haven't tested most of everything here.

#3214728 - 02/22/11 08:03 AM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: DavidC99]
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!

Loc: Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: DavidC99
Hamachi is more geared toward private groups, being a program essentially to create a VPN. I was under the impression that we want a more public atmosphere, allowing anyone to get in on our sessions. If we use Hamachi then anyone who wants to game with us will have to be allowed to join our virtual network -- and that's not the ideal solution.

If we can get this to work with just opening a few ports, it's probably a safer and more advisable option.

Hi DavidC99,

Eugene and I tried Hamachi for CG trying to connect via IPX, and it didn't work. No surprise, while Hamachi USED to work for IPX connections in many games, it seems to have stopped. Whether this is a limitation on the Hamachi servers, or Microsoft patches to the IPX/SPX stack, I don't know. BUT your TCP/IP method seems like it should work over Hamachi as it does for Longbow2. In LB2, Hamachi overcomes a serious issue where connections will not work under normal conditions if the Host is behind a router.

Any way you could make your fix available for testing over Hamachi? We are both using Windows XP, so it should eliminate a lot of issues.

Edited by Recluse (02/22/11 08:05 AM)
EVGA GTX 560Ti
CoolerMaster CAC-T05-UW CENTURION 5
ANTEC TP3-550 550W
KDS K-22MDWB 22" LCD 1680 X 1050
Soundblaster X-FI XtremeGamer
WinXP SP3
Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3226464 - 03/06/11 04:16 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
DavidC99 Offline

If you're still interested in it, what exactly are you asking me to release? Just the join-by-IP program I've written for Comanche Gold?

#3226778 - 03/07/11 01:12 AM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: ufolev]
Eugene Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, that would be a big help.

CoreDuo G620
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
BFG N460 GTX Cyclone 1GD5 OC
Forceware 301.42
X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
WinXP Pro
2 gig RAM
Saitek X52 PRO.

#3228376 - 03/08/11 03:26 PM Re: Comanche Gold - TODAY - possibilities [Re: DavidC99]
Mako Offline

Loc: FLORIDA U S A
Originally Posted By: DavidC99
If you're still interested in it, what exactly are you asking me to release? Just the join-by-IP program I've written for Comanche Gold?

Kali has been down acouple of dayz now. Jay said he is working on getting it up and running soon. I'm interested in this program DavidC99 also. Would be a great back up plan.

Thx !

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
100% Accurate American
by DetCord
Yesterday at 10:40 PM
Tom Clancy Classic Vids
by Jeza
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
CLOD newb can't get my joystick to work.
by Spinnetti
Yesterday at 10:04 PM
VFA-41 conducts airstrikes on ISIS positions around Mosul Dam
by Major Dragon
Yesterday at 08:22 PM
Apple Campus 2 is coming along nicely!
by Linebacker
Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Graviteam Tactics Steam sale
by JanesHQ
Yesterday at 03:08 PM
Are 3D printers worth it?
by WileECoyote
Yesterday at 02:20 PM
VVS Gun Cam Footage
by IIN8II
Yesterday at 02:09 PM
Finished PCMR Battlestation
by TigerL0rd
Yesterday at 01:51 PM
New series of video tutorials CoM for Men Of War AS2
by Bisharrako
Yesterday at 01:34 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.