Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3151739 - 02/06/10 09:28 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Boom]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
Phase One starts at Pearl Harbor and ends over Rangoon...probably in a Hurricane. Current plans are for Phase Two to start at Darwin. The Indian Ocean Raids would require us to come up with Hermes, Cornwall, Dorsetshire and Vampire in a hurry and we cannot. Hinch is doing Yorktown now and more American ships after that. The next British piece I was asking for is the Indefatigable. We have the IJN ships.

We don't mind plugging in filler ships outside the action but target ships have to be good. (The Prince of Wales and Repulse are fine work just to sink.) We will experiment with sinking shipping in the Bay of Bengal. We are going that far west. If that's fun, we will do it.

It's an important part of Japanese strategy and WWII history that is not very well known. We've been talking about it. I hope we can without creating something that looks very much like something we just did off the coast of Malaysia.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3151740 - 02/10/10 05:31 AM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: zerocinco]  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Fantastic! I always wanted to see Darwin modelled in a sim. Not just the initial devastation caused by the Kido Butai raid, but also the constant air-raids throughout 1942 and 1943. smile There's certainly enough action to be had ..... Raids 1 & 2 were the initial devastating raids by Kido Butai; Raids 3 - 5 were unopposed; Raids 6 -27 opposed by the P-40's of the 49th Fighter Group USAAF; Raids 28 - 51 opposed by No's 76 and 77 Squadrons RAAF (predominately night raids) and Raids 52 to 64 by No.1 Wing RAAF flying Spitfires. Additional to the 64 official raids there were another 17 reconnaissance and/or fighter sweeps by the Japanese. Then there's all the attack missions flown by Beaufighters, Hudsons et al over Timor and the Arafura Sea. smile

I hope you do get around to scripting Operation C. It was quite a hectic raid with lotsa action, both surface and aerial.

On the following link there is actually a very good article on just how close the Kido Butai came to being ambushed by the Admiral Somervilles Royal Navy Force A during the attack on Ceylon. Common perception is that the Royal Navy simply ran away until it was safe to return. Nothing could be further from the truth. It would have been a fascinating clash, given the British were skilled in night carrier operations, and had radar equipped Fairey Albacores.

http://www.journal.forces.gc.ca/vo7/no4/stuart-eng.asp

Well worth reading.

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#3151741 - 02/10/10 05:20 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Boom]  
jmg257 Offline
jmg257  Offline

Count me in...got A Dawn Like Thunder for Christmas (bless my daughter's heart) and followed up with Shattered Sword, Incredible Victory and Fuchida's Midway. All that reading got me to pull out my OLD gaming rig which has been in storage just so I can play Pacific Fighters. I am sure I have a copy of Strike Fighters around somewhere...if not I'll buy another! (and maybe a new rig!).

Very cool.

#3151742 - 03/06/10 02:18 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: Wklink]  
JFM Offline
JFM  Offline

Naples, FL
Just want to say this looks great! I'm looking forward to it. I don't even have Strike Fighters (just WOV) but will grab it when this becomes available.

Regarding Utah, to be pedantic, she took only two torpedoes (which, of course, did the job). A third was launched at her but went forward and hit Raleigh.

Okay, just checked researcher David Aiken's torpedo attack timeline to double-check my memory. Six torpedoes launched at Utah, two hits:

From Soryu
Tatsumi Nakajima: torpedo passed forward of Utah, hit Raleigh.
Karoku Fujiwara: hit Utah
Yasuo Sato and Koji Kawashima: one torpedo hit the shoreline near Detroit, the other remains unaccounted for.
Masazumi Tadashi and Tadashi Kimura: first torpedo hit the shoreline aft of Raleigh, second hit forward on Utah.

#3151743 - 03/06/10 03:08 PM Re: Welcome to the Rising Sun Forum [Re: JFM]  
zerocinco Offline
zerocinco  Offline

Tchepone, Laos
We like pedantic. We pedant all the time to get this stuff right. Thanks for the research and the saved time.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.