Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3153430 - 12/09/10 12:48 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit ***** [Re: choowy]  
Redhornet Offline
Redhornet  Offline

Holy Crap! Am I glad you reposted your build here! I was following it on Frugals and was super bummed when that site went down! Superb planning, design and execution. Really looking forward to seeing how you finished it up!

POST EVERYTHING!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3153475 - 12/09/10 01:40 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Thanks Redhornet, you are too kind!

I'll try to get it all up as fast as I can. There are some really nice projects going on over here, The Apache project looks very nice.

I used a larger sized timber edge to allow for a bigger radius similar to something that may have bee a steel construction in real life.

This was easily shaped with a hand plane and sander.

The edges where the mdf joined along the tops were also rounded a little but you have less material here to work with so cant go too shallow on the radius.

Be very careful planing mdf surface (edges are ok) as you destroy the smooth finish and it needs a lot of sanding and possible filling.

In my case I was going to add a little wear and tear later so any defects could be disguised as dents etc.

#3153600 - 12/09/10 08:11 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Ok onto the ejection seat. This was modelled on the ACES seat and a little of the F14 and some of a British design I think.

I wanted it to be adjustable for my kids to get in so it moves forward and back and up and down. I found a great seat mechanism for $20 at a wreckers. The base design is built around the mechanism.

I made up a balsa model to check for look and size when I originally scale built it.

The original design was to have the missile pods on either side with the left side opening as a door. I simplified as the build time was getting too long.

I'd highly recommend using balsa to scale build anything that might be large and complex to give you an idea of what will work and its quick to assemble.

The design is based on this model from the Mechwarrior series, Vulture or Maddog

Marked up the sides with a pretty good guess on the shape using a flexible edge.

The side needs to be shaped to the finished product so you can then attach it to the other side and use the trimmer bit to create an identical side.

Using the straight edge to finish the edges for the base side..

The finished side for the base based on the balsa model.

I wanted to give the base a cast aluminium look so I added another identical side and marked up a web pattern before drilling holes at the radius of each shape.

Roughly cut to a few mm of the line.

#3153604 - 12/09/10 08:49 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Again using a temporary straight edge nailed to the piece to get a clean finish.

Finished side piece.

Clamped to base to check fit and angle.

Sides of the seat back with the centre supports. These are also curved inward to give a contoured back.

Seat base of solid timber to be lined with a ply sheet.

I used a better looking screw head on the base even though it will have a cushion sometime.

Seat back clamped to check fit and look.

The top head rest piece is just a simple box.

Mini oxygen cylinder from a mouse bottle and other bling.

The hydraulic lines are inserted into a standard hex bolt with the end filed smooth and the correct hole drilled in the centre.
Its just pushed into the correct sized hole in the block. Sorry about the poor focus.

Using the right type of screw helps to make it look more real.

Finished product after undercoat and satin black spray. The far side has no detail as it cant be seen once installed in the sim.

I made up stickers to give it a more authentic look. Military stuff has labels all over everything.

#3153631 - 12/09/10 11:15 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
Gopher Offline
Gopher  Offline

Midlands
My god, that is a masterpiece. Seriously. That is effing awesome. And this is just the chair!

#3153664 - 12/09/10 01:08 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
kneeldown

Choowy, that is stunning! The creative use of commonly available materials to simulate other things just makes it all that more impressive. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the project!

I may just have to revisit MechWarrior: Living Legends ...

#3153723 - 12/09/10 02:44 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline
More projects than sense!

Graham, WA
That seat is a work of art! I'd love to get drawings of it. CNC! *laughs*

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#3153907 - 12/09/10 06:22 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
WalterNowi Offline
WalterNowi  Offline

Arcadia, CA
kneeldown

Wow! The seat itself is a masterpiece!

#3153921 - 12/09/10 06:39 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
Damn man that's impressive stuff! Reminds me of Wasp's life size mech pit! Keep it up totally a work of art!

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
#3153930 - 12/09/10 06:47 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
kneeldown

Not worthy...so not worthy...

thanks for the replies. I know about working with it but didn't realize you were using it as that for the finish. I assumed....yeah I know with the way the finished product looked that you have worked out some type of epoxy or veneer type material on it.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3154017 - 12/09/10 08:53 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Thanks for the support guys, WinkNGrin I'm sorry I don't have detailed drawings but I'm happy to provide measurements if you need anything.

I decided to make my own throttle which in hindsight may have been a little weird as they make some very nice ones but I was firmly in DIY mode at that stage.

I made up a prototype first just to see how things felt. I had looked a a few in stores to get the sizing.

From that I used pine (easy to work and shape) to rough out a shape. I added an extra piece on the top to allow room to fit the switches.

Using a wood rasp shape the corners and get the size right. Finish wasn't important here yet as it was going to have automotive filler applied .

I added ice cream sticks as an easy way of layering up areas that were too low. It was still a in two halves as this stage as I needed to be able to cut access holes internally to run the cables through. It was later glued together.

Filler applied to any areas that need it.

Primer applied ready for finishing coat.

Switch plate to house two momentary and one rocker. Aluminium plate used.

Final finish and assembled.

#3154036 - 12/09/10 09:36 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Nice job on the grip. thumbsup

#3154084 - 12/09/10 10:59 PM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Watched your build at Frugals too.

jawdrop

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3154138 - 12/10/10 12:58 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
aRareKindOfMonster Offline
aRareKindOfMonster  Offline

OMG... It was brilliant and original and now the GRIP???? OMG the best idea to make a home made grip ever. I was toying in my head about casting aluminum, or use epoxy putty! I couldn't see the WOOD for the trees! Pun intended! biggrin

S-T-U-N-N-I-N-G!!! AWESOME!!!

Do you know what you just did????? You just helped me realize how to build my own dual throttles. It was there all the time, and I couldn't see it! So easy! So graaaand!!

CPR! CPR!!! biggrin

#3154142 - 12/10/10 01:07 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  

DEFIBRILATING!!!

I was thinking - not trying to tell you how to run things, you do just great - you obviously won't be able to do an eyefinity setup.

What would really take the cake, would be if you could have one central screen, and 2 screens on either side acting as windows, with their view locked at 3 and 9o'clock. And use TrackIR or any other panning utility. I reckon it would be great to have even more screens to cover as much of the front as possible. The bezels of the monitors would actually be no issue; they would look like the frame of the canopy.

I don't think there is an app like that though, that allows the user to select which views to be displayed for each screen.

#3154249 - 12/10/10 04:50 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hi JAMF, thanks, nice to hear from you again. Cheers Ghost, its a great site to post here.

aRKOM glad I can provide an alternative for you. One thing on my throttle that is poor is I didn't use a great brand of spray and it needs a little makeover. Otherwise it seems a pretty nice alternative to metal. It does have a steel shaft which you will see later.

Yes your right about the displays, that would be very nice. Back at the old thread people were talking about curved screens, fresnel lenses and projector screens. Again for me it was about getting something that I would actually finish and i chose the more basic approach with the display. Its still effective though but there are other options now. The game is a little restrictive also in supported resolutions. MWLL is another story, lots of potential there.

#3154261 - 12/10/10 06:10 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  

Originally Posted By: choowy
One thing on my throttle that is poor is I didn't use a great brand of spray and it needs a little makeover.

Have you tried Plasti Dip pray?

#3154284 - 12/10/10 08:20 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

No I haven't ever heard of it. Looks like a great product, interesting.

My next door neighbour (who built a scale 767 cockpit in his house with all the controls functional)

suggested using Araldite ( 2 part epoxy glue) and heat it up so its quite liquid then paint it on and it sets like a plastic coating.

I'll respray with a better quality paint.

#3154299 - 12/10/10 09:39 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

The top of the throttle case has a slot cut into the end of two pieces to allow a sliding plastic tongue. Glue the two pieces together before drilling a hole at each end and then cut out the slot.

The throttle has a 19mm steel tube attached at the base to an angled bracket with a nyloc nut to stop it coming loose. The cabling also passes through the tube and out an access hole in the side.

I used an old Gravis Eliminator game pad for the controller after having issues with a cheaper 2 axis joystick. The main control switches on the joystick connect directly to where the original gamepad switches were on the circuit board.

Finished product.

#3154300 - 12/10/10 09:58 AM Re: Mechwarrior Cockpit [Re: choowy]  
choowy Offline
choowy  Offline

Hole for the door marked out.

Door cut out roughly, using the same method to trim, fix a temporary guide around the outside of the opening. I think I may have laid the unit over to do this.

Making sure the seat sits in the right spot.

I added a door surround to give the look of a steel reinforced fitting.

Bolts cut down and added.

Fitted internally and painted.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.