Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3136724 - 11/13/10 06:27 PM Am I missing some secret key to control lighting?  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
All my lighting keys are default....and none of them work.

L = Toggle cockpit lighting...Nope

L + Rctrl = Nav lights....Nope

HUD color change doesn't work either.

Cockpit switch I am missing??

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3136797 - 11/13/10 09:27 PM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
kylania Offline
kylania  Offline

You've turned their brightness knobs up right? I know the cockpit floods start turned down.

#3136805 - 11/13/10 09:53 PM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!

Texas, USA
Pinky Switch.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3136818 - 11/13/10 10:25 PM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper
Pinky Switch.

Hmmmm, OK will try that via keyboard commands.

P LCtrl HOTAS Pinky switch aft
P LAlt HOTAS Pinky switch forward
P LShift HOTAS Pinky switch center

Not sure which does what. Currently doing an early morning takeoff and want to be able to turn lights off in and out of the cockpit as it gets lighter outside.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3136867 - 11/14/10 12:10 AM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
kylania Offline
kylania  Offline

I'd link the great explanation page on the ED forums that explains all the settings, but their forums are down again. Aft is "per panel settings" so you'll want that.

Last edited by kylania; 11/14/10 12:10 AM.
#3136879 - 11/14/10 12:30 AM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: kylania]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks,

Please link it for me and others when back up if you can.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3136894 - 11/14/10 01:14 AM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
kylania Offline
kylania  Offline

Found the thread, copied here incase of more instability:

Quote:

I've been messing around with the external lights and I wanted to share my findings and also point out some behaviors which are potentially not correct programatically.

PINKY SWITCH
According to the ED A-10C manual the pinky switch (located on the left throttle) is a 3-position switch that controls the external lights. The positions and functions are:

Forward - "Default"
Center - "Off"
Aft - "According to Panel"

This is not a whole lot of information. The A-10A manual (TO 1A-10A-1) has more to say about this switch.

Forward
Retention of illumination level set set on panel for formation lights, nose floodlights, and nacelle floodlights.
Changes position lights from bright to dim steady.
Removes power from the anti-collision solenoid switch so that the switch automatically returns to off.

This is a default "dim" mode. The formation strips and nacelle floods are set to a moderately dim level and cannot be manually adjusted. The anti-collision lights are forced off. Position lights and nose illumination however are still up to the pilot to control. The off/flash/steady switch still controls the position lights as normal except all position lights are forced to be dim (as required for taxi.) The nose illumination on/off switch determines whether the nose floods will be on at the moderate-dim level enforced by pinky-forward or off. This mode might be desirable when air-air refueling.

Center
(...)turns off position lights, formation lights, nose flood lights, nacelle floodlights, and anti-collision lights regardless of control panel settings. To reactivate anti-collision lights following (center position), the (pinky switch) must be moved aft and the anti-collision panel switch must be reset.

This is a mission-expedient way to set all lights off, usually for fencing in. It is impossible to use any of the white floods, formation strips, or position lights, or anti-collision ligths* when set to this "blackout" mode.

*It appears that the solenoid anti-collision switch behavior is slightly in error. The switch properly turns itself off but does so with regards to the wrong pinky switch positions. The A-C light switch is unable to remain on in the pinky-forward case and is able to remain on in the pinky-center and pinky-aft cases. It should be unable to remain on in both the pinky-center case as well as the pinky-forward case. The result is setting the pinky switch to center believing that the enemy will be searching for a dark aircraft when in fact the A-C lights are still blinking.

Aft - (...) allows for operations of the lights as set on the control panel.

This is what I like to think of as the "full manual" mode. The AAR nacelle floods are able to be set at any level. The formation light strips and nose floods can be set at any level. The position lights are forced to be full bright in either off, flash, or steady as the panel switch is set.

FORMATION LIGHTS
The formation lights consist of two lighting systems. One is the series of greenish panel strips placed around the aircraft skin surface. The other is a pair of white flood lights mounted on the wing leading edges pointed at the sides of nose exterior. When the pinky switch (master exterior lights switch) is set to forward the formation light strips and the nose illumination are set to a dim level regardless of the position of the dim-bright rotary or the nose illumination switch in the cockpit. With pinky center all formation lighting systems are off. With pinky aft the panel strips are controlled in brightness by the dim-bright cockpit panel rotary. If the nose illumination switch is in the on position then the nose flood lights are also controlled in brightness by the rotary switch. Otherwise the nose flood lights are off.

AIR AIR REFUELING LIGHTS
The AAR lights also consist of two lighting systems. One is flood illumination of the AAR nose receptacle, when the AAR door is open. The other is a pair of white flood lights mounted on the fuselage spine pointed at the fronts of the engine nacelles. The pinky switch has no effect on the operation of the receptacle flood lights and the receptacle lights may be used any time the AAR door is open regardless of the pinky switch's position.

The AAR nose receptacle lights should be steady white flood lights that are dimmable by the bright-dim rotary. However as of Beta2 this light is mistakenly coded as a single-intensity white strobe type light.

POSITION LIGHTS
The position lights are a set of three lights, red, green, and white around the aircraft. They have three modes of operation (steady, flash, off) as set by the panel switch and two brightness levels (bright, dim) as dictated by the pinky switch position.

ANTI-COLLISION LIGHTS
These lights flash red (A-10A manual describes them as white strobes but in DCS A-10C they are red) when the the anti-collision light switch is in the on position. This switch is a spring-loaded solenoid type that can only be held in the on position when the solenoid circuit is energized. Only in the pinky-aft "full manual" position does the anti-collision switch stay on when released. Anti-collision light use is not intended, recommended, or practical in all other positions of the pinky switch.

NVIS COMPATIBILITY
The Aux Lighting Panel has a switch which controls NVIS lighting. The "top" position turns on NVIS for the light on the top of the aircraft while the "all" position turns on all NVIS external lighting. I have not been able to witness this switch do anything meaningful mostly because I cannot view through NVGs in external view. I do not fully understand this switch or NVIS.

#3137744 - 11/15/10 05:59 PM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
Ghost_unit13 Offline
Ghost_unit13  Offline

The Netherlands

i7 4770K @3.50Ghz - 16GB - 256 SSD - R9-280X - CH Hotas- 27"LG - Obutto Rev3
#3138076 - 11/16/10 02:51 AM Re: Am I missing some secret key to control lighting? [Re: Nixer]  
Duality Offline
Duality  Offline

I believe in beta 1 hitting the pinky switch forward always turned on the external nav lights. After installing beta 2, I thought my controller profile wasnt working because the key I had bound to LAlt P (Pinky forward) no longer turned the lights on. After messing around with it I realized that I needed to set the Position Flash switch (on the lighting panel) to either Flash or Steady. Maybe that switch was already set to "Steady" in beta 1 and I didn't notice.

Intel P75 w/ MMX 32MB RAM Matrox Mystique 4MB Video + Canopus Pure 3d 6MB (3dFX!)

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.