Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3127952 - 11/01/10 11:11 AM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
hiuuz Offline
hiuuz  Offline

Hi some people who intrested in this sim!

I and my brother want to play MP with longbow2. We have 2 PC in a room.

First we try the local network, but in the game menu I can't click on the Local Network with the mouse, but by right click it is highlighted... I don't know why!
After that we try the internet connection via router and we can play, but in the game we have very high ping, about 600-1000ms. However in windovs the ping was under 100ms...?

Why we can't click on the Local Network at the MP menu?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3127977 - 11/01/10 12:55 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: hiuuz]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: hiuuz
Hi some people who intrested in this sim!

I and my brother want to play MP with longbow2. We have 2 PC in a room.

First we try the local network, but in the game menu I can't click on the Local Network with the mouse, but by right click it is highlighted... I don't know why!
After that we try the internet connection via router and we can play, but in the game we have very high ping, about 600-1000ms. However in windovs the ping was under 100ms...?

Why we can't click on the Local Network at the MP menu?

The Local Network option depends on the IPX protocol being available. You might have to explicitly add it on Windows XP, and I am not sure if it is even possible on Vista or Windows 7:

http://www.3drealms.com/tech/ipx.html

Since you have a local network, though the TCP/IP option should be fine. Don't pay too much attention to the PING values reported in the LB2 connect screen... they aren't accurate. You should be fine. We used to play this over the internet on 28.8K dialup modems!

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3128300 - 11/01/10 08:18 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Recluse]  
hiuuz Offline
hiuuz  Offline

Thanks for answer! We will check it and I feedback the result.

#3128684 - 11/02/10 12:10 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Since LB2 MP has made it to a new thread, I thought I would announce that last night Eugene and I successfully connected and flew via Hamachi (we both are behind routers).

The initial attempt to connect in LAN mode (which we had done before) failed, but it may have been a Hamachi configuration that required a reboot. We did successfully connect in TCP/IP mode using the HAMACHI address rather than our 'real' address. Without the HAMACHI address, this process usually fails when the host is behind a router, but this time it worked. We were both rusty as hell and forgot most of the commands, so I was flying with two hands on my HOTAS, heads down on my Cougar Map cheat sheet and my LB2 Keycard. Its a wonder I didn't crash...but I did get caught in a SAM/FLAK trap while flying at a stately 500 feet as I was consulting all my cheat sheets instead of concentrating on flying.

This sim is STILL tons of fun!!

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3128829 - 11/02/10 04:15 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Good to hear that, Recluse. How are you finding the yaw and low rotor RPM? Do you have to use any CPU slowdown progs? For me, the vsync option in dgVoodoo is just not the answer anymore - the sim is still way too fast! Also, if you do use a CPU speed limiter, how does that affect the gameplay in multiplayer? Does it lag ever so much?

#3128875 - 11/02/10 05:18 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Good to hear that, Recluse. How are you finding the yaw and low rotor RPM? Do you have to use any CPU slowdown progs? For me, the vsync option in dgVoodoo is just not the answer anymore - the sim is still way too fast! Also, if you do use a CPU speed limiter, how does that affect the gameplay in multiplayer? Does it lag ever so much?

I don't find a problem with YAW. If you experience extreme yaw back and forth, turn of TURBULENCE in the Flight Model Options. It is way overdone on the Fast CPU's. Never even noticed it back in the old days when using a machine in spec for LB2.

Rotor RPM and Over-torque are still definitely issues, but were manageable by careful flying. I was very happy that I could still do a good job of flying even if the other controls were tough to recall. I remember how hard it was to juggle cyclic and collective when I first started learning.

You can no longer drop like a stone from a hover and recover. I find that when approaching a FARP, especially those in a valley where you have to lose a lot of altitude after coming over the mountains, I have to circle around losing altitude gradually before the final descent or a crash is inevitable. I think of it as an unintentional modeling of the Vortex Ring state or "settling with Power" problem.

On the other hand, we now have SUPER Engines and you can clip along at 160 knots easily...of course that is suicide in many ways, so it is just useful when trying to make it back to base before the O club closes smile

Rockets, are, of course useless.

I never had much luck with CPU limiters, but I did use them before the DGVoodoo wrapper option. Still didn't fix rockets which were the main thing I was looking for. The DGVoodoo vsync option isn't enough but it does help and as you not, doesn't introduce the lag that the CPU limiters do (while still not fixing all the problems).

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3128906 - 11/02/10 05:58 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Recluse]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: Recluse
I don't find a problem with YAW. If you experience extreme yaw back and forth, turn of TURBULENCE in the Flight Model Options. It is way overdone on the Fast CPU's. Never even noticed it back in the old days when using a machine in spec for LB2.

My problem has nothing to do with EXTREME yaw - if that was the 'problem', I'd be glad of it! My problem is NO yaw! It takes like over a minute to do a full circle. This is a computer speed problem - the faster my computer's - the worse it's got. Now I have a dual-core 2GHz, my yaw is simply non-existant, meaning that, apart from the obvious turning on the spot in a hover, I can't use it to do evasive maneuvers or even just adjust my heading at low forward speeds.

#3129091 - 11/02/10 09:05 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted By: Flyboy
Originally Posted By: Recluse

My problem has nothing to do with EXTREME yaw - if that was the 'problem', I'd be glad of it! My problem is NO yaw! It takes like over a minute to do a full circle. This is a computer speed problem - the faster my computer's - the worse it's got. Now I have a dual-core 2GHz, my yaw is simply non-existant, meaning that, apart from the obvious turning on the spot in a hover, I can't use it to do evasive maneuvers or even just adjust my heading at low forward speeds.

Hmmm I have a Dual Core 2.4 GHz processor and I just tried a 360 pedal rotation from a hover at 25 feet. 9.3 seconds.

I think there are some settings in the CA.ini file, but IIRC, they only controlled view panning not actual turns.

Last edited by Recluse; 11/02/10 09:07 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3129843 - 11/03/10 08:19 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
hiuuz Offline
hiuuz  Offline

It was a long time ago when i bought the first Jane's Longbow. I spend lot of time to translate the manual, but it worth while the time! It was an amazing experience when I was searching the radar site in Iraq at the first night of the "desert storm". The european campaing was an other especial for me because I live in Hungary. It was my only game for more than a year. I hardly know what to say but I miss Longbow2. After long years (a few month ago) come into my mind to play with combat helicopter sims. I start with EECH and I love it, but it's unplayable for two player with one helicopter. At this point come Longbow2, my old favourite's big brother!
Thanks a lot for Flyboy and Positive G's Longbow 2 install guide! It's working clear in single player!

But now it's hard to get this old lady to work in multiplayer.

Now this is my situation: I have an old PC and Nootebook connected via router. I install the game same way on both computer.

I try the IPX-network connection. I host one, the other can see the host but when I try join nothing happen. I try with direct cabel connection but the same.

Via internet I can join but the LAG kills the game. Both PC has single core CPU, I use the DgVoodoo vsync option. Still can be CPU speed problem?

#3129981 - 11/04/10 12:40 AM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Have you tried connecting via TCP/IP rather than LAN mode with the router connected machines?

Get the LAN IP of each machine (Typically something like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x)

Designate one as the host (lets say 192.168.0.2 for example).

Have the host start a game as MASTER by clicking on the Monitor in the Commo room.

The client (let's say it is 192.168.0.3, but it doesn't matter as long as they are on the same LAN) then clicks the KEYBOARD in the Commo room to JOIN MASTER and enters the IP address (192.168.0.2).

Maybe this is what you meant by "via Internet" but by using the LAN IP's it will all be local connections. It should work fine.

What are the operating systems involved?? That could make a difference, but in the past I have connected XP and Win98 machines without problems.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3130111 - 11/04/10 05:58 AM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
hiuuz Offline
hiuuz  Offline

Yes, you are right: I try the monitor-keyboard method and it's working, but with high LAG. So this way will be good for me, if i can clear up the LAG problem.
When I play it looks like the client is pulsating and not tipical LAG. But I'm not sure in that! What do you think? How looks like the CPU speed problem? At friday I can look after that...

Oh, and I use WinXP both computer.

Last edited by hiuuz; 11/04/10 09:36 AM.
#3130228 - 11/04/10 12:02 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Hmmm, there shouldn't be any appreciable difference due to multiplayer on a local network. When you play on the client machine in Single Player do you see the same effect or is it fine? It sounds more like an issue on the client PC (some game setting or video driver issue) than in the Multiplayer itself.

Also what happens if you switch which is MASTER and which is CLIENT?? Do you still see the issue on the new CLIENT or is it now on the MASTER?

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#3132057 - 11/06/10 06:12 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Recluse]  
hiuuz Offline
hiuuz  Offline

Single Player is OK! I fix the problem on Local Network connection, but the same pulsating effect and every time on the client! I think that my problem is not with the connection!
Last I will try come CPU limiter program. What do you thing witch program is best for that?

#3132454 - 11/07/10 01:45 PM Re: Multiplayer [Re: Flyboy]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
The CPU slowdown program that most people use is free and is called Turbo:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/progs/turbo.zip

If you have more than one processor core, you might also want to disable all but one for when running LB2. That will greatly decrease the amount of processing power that is available and also allow the CPU limiter to work on one core only (if it doesn't already), I recommend option 2:
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/setup/multi-core.html

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.