Hop To
#3117369 - 10/17/10 03:50 PM Building the SAM site from Hell  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks to Wags and 159th_Viper over at the ED Beta forum, I have seen the error in my ways and now have the S-300 SA-10 working ingame.

I really didn't understand how GROUPS worked in this Sim.

So I figured I would make a little mini-tutorial on how to set up a SAM site in the DCS A-10C mission editor, taking some screenshots while I do it ingame.

EDIT: For those you who would like my latest version of this mission it is HERE

Step One:

Open up the mission editor and select file NEW. Then select File SAVE AS, "YourMissionName".

Then zoom in on the Airfield to the SE of Sukhumi using your mouse wheel.

I chose that airfiled simply because I know from experience you can select that airfield view by pressing F11 nine(9) times when ingame.

OK now for the S300 battery.

Look on the left side of the screen and slect the little tank symbol. On the right side of the screen select country, name the group S300 and select type the SAM SA-10 CP unit.

Now on the unit line on the right side change the number of units to 12.

Great Nix, now I have 12 S300 CP's on the map. Fear not, Oh Great Wannabe Hog driver, we will rectify that situation next.

Last edited by Nixer; 10/18/10 09:46 PM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3117370 - 10/17/10 03:51 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Ok. Now we have a group of 12 S300 CP's on the airfield. If you move the first one that was placed on the Map, the whole group moves so place the CP where you are gonna want to leave it.

Now select unit 2 of 12 and move him. You can move everything individually EXCEPT unit 1. Using the TYPE drop down on the right select the SAM SA-10 S-300PS LN SP85D. This is the SAM launcher itself. Do this six(6) times total. You have to set each units facing individually with the little direction dial also.

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 04:50 PM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117371 - 10/17/10 03:51 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Now we need some fire control.

Select unit 8 of 12 and using the drop down menu make it a SR SN566M. I faced it just a tad to the SW.

Two more fire control units to go.

Well we still have two extra CP units. We need some close in support so lets make them Tunguska's!

The finished product

Remember the key to getting these mult-unit (seperate radar and fire control vehicles) to work is having them all in the same group, using the method I described so far.

Next step...let's try to kill it! cool

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 05:17 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117372 - 10/17/10 03:51 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Now we need a couple of SEAD flights. Notice the threat circles in the editor now. Click the little aicraft symbol on the left of the map. I chose the F-16 Block 52 for my SEAD flights. I also only use 2 ship flights as they seem to work better for me. The editor automatically names the group for you. Just change the number of units to 2. Don't even THINK about flying an A-10 against that site without lots of help. yep I set the first WP right outside the threat circle, coming in from the SE, altitude 7000M, speed I left at 500 kph.

Now lets loadout this group. There's a little weapon sysmbol on the right side. Press that.

Now we have the loadout screen up. I created a new loadout of 4 HARM's, 2 sidewinders with a Lantirn and ECM pod. You have to do this for each plane in the group seperatley.

I also adjusted the fuel down and the Chaff up.

Now back to first F-16 groups waypoints. BTW you can right click anywhere on the map to deselect everything. Select the f-16 and click add WP above the advanced tab and click the map where shown. I adjusted the altitude down and the speed up....might come in handy. Then click the advanced tab. Under actions you will see SEAD a-ref. I guess this just means he will automatically perform SEAD tasks beacuase that is the flights main task. But I wanna be sure that they will attack that SAM site so I click add under actions and make them attack the S300 group.

Hmmm. I don't know the range of the AGM-88 HARM bit I want them shooting ASAP so I move the F-16's WP 2 back outside the inner threat circles, notice the dotted attack line. Now I make a couple of egress WP's at lower altitude and high speed.

Now repeat the whole process with a second 2 ship F-16 group approaching from the SW.

Completed SEAD flights WP's

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 06:19 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117373 - 10/17/10 03:51 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Ok, now we have the S-300 site and a couple of SEAD flights on the map. Time to see if it's safe to add a player A-10 flight.

Start the mission you have made ingame. Then pause it immediately. Press F11 NINE (9) times till you see a runway with a little square lake next to it. Now using your mouse and mousewheel you need to get a view of the SAM site. I suggest North of the terminal buildings, zoomed out enough so you can see all the Battery's vehicles and launchers. You also cycle thru the F-16's using F2. When you return to F11 you will be in the same place view wise. Just don't press F11 two times in a row or you will start cycling thru airfields.

Time to watch your handy work. (me too) Back soon.

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 06:28 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117450 - 10/17/10 06:19 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well, the 16 HARM's took out the 2 Tunguskas. Here's them burning and 2 SA-10's lifting off after the last remaining F-16.

Well he's hit, time for a swim.

Final score 4 F-16's lost, the Battery lost it's close in defense Tunguska's but all it's launchers and fire control are intact and operational.

Time for some bait and maybe dedicated jammers.

edit:

Well no such thing as dedicated jammers...whoops. As for the bait, I think I got that figured out. F-15E's with AGM-154 cruise missiles! It seems that the SA-10's target and fire at JSOW's! That's the only way I've figured out to beat them...run them out of missiles. Pretty expensive bait though. So I added 2 more F-16's with HARM's and 3 pairs of F-15E's with AGM-154's targeted at the main fire control units. We'll see how that works out.

Of course, if I am using cruise JSOW's than I should really add a couple of Tor's on the Russian side......

The whole battery firing at seperate targets!

Firing at the AGM-154's JSOW's

I guess they just launch a bunch and detonate them in proximity hoping to knock them down. They only got 2 a/c and one JSOW that time. Time to add my A-10's to finish off the battery. That's 24 SA-10's launched!

Back soon.

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 08:49 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117451 - 10/17/10 06:20 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Now it's time to finish the job...in person.

We need to add the players A-10C flight. Select the little a/c sysmbol and a 2 ship A-10C flight, just make sure you have player selected as the SKILL in one of them. That's your a/c. I started them out kinda high as they are pretty heavy in the loadout I chose. (CBU-97's, LOTS of rockets). Use what you are comnfortable with but add the ALQ-131 ECM/jammer for sure.

Now make your second WP and under the advanced tab set them to attack the S300 group.

Add a couple of egress and a landing WP and it's time to finish off that S-300 Site.

Gonna go fly it and see now. smile

Last edited by Nixer; 10/17/10 09:23 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117453 - 10/17/10 06:20 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well those S-300 Radars on towers need some work on the damage models. Rockets and rounds go right thru them.

The launchers die though. But it takes ALOT of 30MM rounds to do it.

Next victim

BUT if there had been a couple of rounds left in one of those launchers, I would have never made it to the target. nope

I also didn't add any MANPADS yet......... hahaha

I know there isn't a manual out for the mission editor yet. For those of you, like me, who never played LockOn or BlackShark I hope this helps a little on using the editor.

EDIT: I have linked the completed mission in the first post. It now has 8 total SAM-10 Launchers, a couple of Tor's and some MANPAD troops. I increased the number of launchers when I found this pic floating around.

The MANPADS love me. Gonna increase my flare count I think.

Last edited by Nixer; 10/18/10 10:01 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3117505 - 10/17/10 07:44 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
FlandersRevenge Offline
FlandersRevenge  Offline

Oneonta, NY
Agh. Scary shtuff.

Sims from start to finish: Fleet Defender Gold, A-10 Cuba!, F-22 Lightning II, FS2000, CFS3, FS2004, Il-2FB/AEP, LOMAC, IL2 1946, DCS:BS, Falcon 4.0 AF, SF2V, FC2, Janes F-18, DCS A-10C, ROF
#3117524 - 10/17/10 08:17 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
You evil, evil man...S300!

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3117567 - 10/17/10 10:29 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Very cool blow-by-blow..!

#3117642 - 10/18/10 12:49 AM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
Gearbox Offline
Gearbox  Offline

Is there a way to keep the F-16s from straying into the engagement envelope? They should be able to loft the HARMs from a high and fast position and turn away before they get into range. I used to do that in Falcon all the time, putting the radar on a beam right at the end of the threat circle and teasing it to keep it interested and keep the radar on so my missile could do its thing.

#3117644 - 10/18/10 12:55 AM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Gearbox]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yeah there prolly is, using a trigger or end task condition. I just haven't figured it out yet.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3118166 - 10/18/10 09:08 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
coolts Offline
coolts  Offline

Bristol, England
Try keeping the F-16 WP's out of the threat circle. As long as the flight path takes them within weapon parameters of their assigned target, they should engage. HARMS have huge range. aA least they did in Falcon.

Last edited by coolts; 10/18/10 09:13 PM.

i7 6700k | 16gb DDR4|Geforce GTX980|M2 SSD |27” & 2 x 24” | TrackIR 5| HOTAS WARTHOG (SERIAL 0273)| CH PRO Pedals USB |2 x Cougar MFD’s and a partridge in a pear tree
#3120336 - 10/21/10 05:57 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
darkarrow Offline
darkarrow  Offline

Humenné, Slovak Republic
Nixer: you are placing those poor F-16s well into engagement zone of S-300, the Search radar has a range of around 200km, Track Radar around 160 km and Launchers around 70km. You have to place IP point outside 70 km range to execute their attack well. You have placed those poor guys within 20 km range from the launcher, right into their NEZ. I think you have to zoom out your map, because you are placing SEAD according to the tunguska threat zones and not S-300 (at least I think).

#3120420 - 10/21/10 07:05 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: darkarrow]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I know, but for that one I was just trying to get the S-300's to run out of missiles. biggrin

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3123233 - 10/25/10 01:26 PM Re: Building the SAM site from Hell [Re: Nixer]  
FlandersRevenge Offline
FlandersRevenge  Offline

Oneonta, NY
I did something similar to this with Tornado IDS (whichever the Limey's use) backed by vipers armed with JSOWs.

Does anyone know how to get a BUFF or similar aircraft to fire off cruise missiles in a volley? As it stands, the BUFF will fire 1 CALCM, then fly around a bit, launch another one, etc. I want it to launch them all roughly the same time the Tornadoes fire their ALARMs, which would completely overwhelm the Russian defenses.

Sims from start to finish: Fleet Defender Gold, A-10 Cuba!, F-22 Lightning II, FS2000, CFS3, FS2004, Il-2FB/AEP, LOMAC, IL2 1946, DCS:BS, Falcon 4.0 AF, SF2V, FC2, Janes F-18, DCS A-10C, ROF

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.