Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 74 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 73 74
#3106981 - 10/04/10 02:30 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
20mm Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
20mm  Offline
Site Emeritus
Honorary Forums Manager
Sierra Hotel

Tucson AZ
Quote:
I am not being mean...

No, you're not being mean, you're being insulting. You have no idea who the members of the VTB or the VBA are, or how they train or anything else. If the VTB or the VBA are not your cup of tea, fine. But your insults and insinuations are out of line, so stop it.

This thread is about HOTAS Warthog, not for you to get on your soapbox.

Pat Tillman (1976-2004):
4 years Arizona State University, graduated with high honors.
5 seasons National Football League player, Arizona Cardinals.
Forever United States Army Ranger.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3106985 - 10/04/10 02:50 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Originally Posted By: TheEngineer
Wait a second; Aren't the Virtual Thunderbirds like a group of grown men who fly sims semi-professionally (like 20 hrs a week or much more) and who wear flight suits and such, but are not real fighter pilots ? Isn't this the same as 45 year old Dungeon masters who live in their Mom's basement, .... and on her income ?

Well, I can only speak for myself. I've worn a flight suit exactly once in my life and it was because I was asked to as part of a media presentation for the Warthog. It was kinda kitschy but it identified us for the media who were there to view the Warthog and ask questions of those of us who had been testing them. It was a private, closed event.

Back at home, I don't have a cockpit. Just an ordinary desk setup like the majority of people who would find themselves in a discussion about a flight stick.

Yeah, it's a hobby that we sometimes take a bit too seriously but we're all real people. One has spent the past couple of months on the other side of the country from his home training for his job. Another recently got run over by a FedEx truck while training for a triathlon. Others have been recent victims of the economy. We're just friends who enjoy flying...virtually and/or for real.

For the first couple of years Allied Force was out, I spent a lot of time flying on some of the major multiplayer servers and taught a lot of things to a lot of people. Learned a few things myself...all in the name of fun. Now I'm with the VTBs and getting my feet wet in the online racing community.

I'm also a full time student looking to train for a second career.

Do what you enjoy. biggrin

...and sorry for getting pulled into a threadjacking. scuse_me

Last edited by Teej; 10/04/10 04:30 PM.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
#3107010 - 10/04/10 03:36 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
MTFDarkEagle Offline
Shrek 9th Air Strike Sqn
MTFDarkEagle  Offline
Shrek 9th Air Strike Sqn

On your 6 o'clock, messing wit...
Teej: restecp wink

Lukas
-----------------------------------
Intel i5 4670K | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT Tempest | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H | 8GB DDR3-1600 Crusial Ballistix | Asus GTX570 DC-II | 2 x WD 500GB | Corsair HX1000W | 22”+18.5" Samsung | TrackIR 4 | HOTAS Warthog | G25 | W7 x64 Ultimate
#3107103 - 10/04/10 05:38 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
raptorman0 Offline
raptorman0  Offline

Bolton, Lancashire, England

#3107107 - 10/04/10 05:40 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
jocko- Offline
jocko-  Offline

Georgetown, ON Canada
Personally, If I wanted to stress test a new HOTAS I'd ask a bunch of guys and gals to practice formation flying for a few hours. Flying formation is both physically and mentally demanding and you'd know right off the bat how ergonomic your new hardware is, how good or bad the stick action is, and since your head will be outside the cockpit pretty much 100% of the time, how well the buttons and hats hold up over time.

Sounds like a perfect group to beta test a new stick and throttle combo.

Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
#3107111 - 10/04/10 05:41 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Ltfransky Offline
Sith Lord
Ltfransky  Offline
Sith Lord

Peterborough, ON, Canada
Holy Crap *dons flame suit*

I was just taking a shot at bofman, and trying to encourage a wait and see approach. (Thanks HHF for putting it succinctly) I didn't expect people to start spraying a &h!t-cannon at the VTB/VBA/viperpits crowd. Whatever someone does for a hobby is fine by me. Unless you're adlabs6 (he's just weird wave ) But seriously TheEngineer, that was a seriously unwarranted attack (kind of like Gulf War 2)

Teej, I feel you. I got laid off January 2009.

Last edited by Ltfransky; 10/04/10 05:43 PM. Reason: Can't speel worth a dam

Please Heatware Me!

Ours is not to reason why. Ours is to do or die.
Tennyson

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
Gillespie Magee, RCAF
#3107115 - 10/04/10 05:45 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
TheEngineer Offline
TheEngineer  Offline

Ohh, you might be surprised by what I know 20MM. And, you can note the conflict of interest in relying possibly on the present or future opinions (or evaluations) of a team who is sponsored by the very company who makes the product they are evaluating. (edit - just saw Jocko's comments and I agree that formation flying is more demanding than combat or dueling, so, from that angle, yes....the VTB would be a wise choice). My other angle only indicating, at what point in life does the virtual world consume the real one ? Three of the members of my Falcon AF squad have suffered either a divorce or family problems from countless hours spent simming. When fathers aren't there for their son's ballgame due to building a $15000 'pit' in the basement or a young man does not get into a decent university because his team flying lowers his grades and he must attend a much lower community college, then it is balance I question.

However, on the issue of soapbox (not my intent, but I can see how it appeared that way), ... you have a good point. Apologies. This is a Warthog thread after all.

On the issue of the Warthog directly, after several weeks testing it now, I feel it is pretty nice (and better than my experience with the Cougar). But I am worried about its gimbals. I am already detecting some slop after on my right aileron axis. I like the extreme faithfulness to the real A-10 HOTAS, but looks (or metal construction) dont mean jack. It must hold up reliably ... and do so for many years to be worth $450. For those who might follow the Cougar extreme modification route, perhaps this is not a concern, as skilled machinists will likely induce after market mods to bring things up to speck. I myself though, will wait and see how it holds up until the NDA before giving a final opinion. Possibly adding $200 to $1000 of special modifications is not something I would be fond of, if I had to spend $450 in the first place.

Cyberkut - Good comments, but respectfully disagree with a few
Teej - Sorry, but for some reason the hokey flight suits, just got me riled up. I know you guys were not doing anything wrong, just seen too many cases of late where folks are impersonating Gulf war veterans by wearing fake uniforms. For some reason, that was my fuse.

Last edited by TheEngineer; 10/04/10 05:59 PM.
#3107149 - 10/04/10 06:33 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL

On the issue of the Warthog directly, after several weeks testing it now, I feel it is pretty nice (and better than my experience with the Cougar). But I am worried about its gimbals. I am already detecting some slop after on my right aileron axis.

Hmmm can't wait to hear about this post NDA time...but am curious in how that would effect just one side and not the other in a ball joint setup. Again I am just curious.

I like the extreme faithfulness to the real A-10 HOTAS, but looks (or metal construction) dont mean jack. It must hold up reliably ... and do so for many years to be worth $450.

I had a great Cougar and recently sold it and mine was very good on the reliability side...the chinese people that built mine and a few others out of the first production runs must have all been threatened with death or something because they just worked...

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3107237 - 10/04/10 08:16 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Teej Offline
Teej  Offline

Teej - Sorry, but for some reason the hokey flight suits, just got me riled up. I know you guys were not doing anything wrong, just seen too many cases of late where folks are impersonating Gulf war veterans by wearing fake uniforms. For some reason, that was my fuse.

I understand completely. None of us meant any disrespect to anyone (quite the opposite actually, considering we dedicate that flight time to a recreation of a military flight team). I realize this is off the topic of the thread and if the mods want to whack these posts or put them elsewhere, that's fine. The flight suits were part of an invite-only event, everyone present knew we were not actually affiliated with the USAF Thunderbirds, we did not walk around E3 like that, etc.

To illustrate that point...here's yours truly as seen at E3...

Last edited by Teej; 10/04/10 08:20 PM.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
#3107244 - 10/04/10 08:28 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
mad lol, All my respect for your flying skills, Sim or real. But I think you need an Ai with those two...Good PIC, Cheers, Jim

#3107275 - 10/04/10 08:57 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Nutty Offline
Nutty  Offline

Bristol, England

On the issue of the Warthog directly, after several weeks testing it now .... But I am worried about its gimbals. I am already detecting some slop after on my right aileron axis.

I'm confused. I don't know your callsign, and looking back at your other posts, you've signed off with the name Augustus, and also Jay. No-one with those names in the tester's database so I don't know who you are to discuss your issues with the R&D guys. Now you're talking about "slop" in a system without traditional gimbals. It's not possible to have slop on one "axis" or "side" with this design. Very confused now. Which prototype version and number do you have so I can check this out against my prototypes?

Thanks in advance,

James

James "Nutty" Hallows
ViperDrivers
#3107288 - 10/04/10 09:12 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
VTB_Lawndart Offline
Virtual Thunderbirds
VTB_Lawndart  Offline
Virtual Thunderbirds

Wait a second; Aren't the Virtual Thunderbirds like a group of grown men who fly sims semi-professionally (like 20 hrs a week or much more) and who wear flight suits and such, but are not real fighter pilots ? Isn't this the same as 45 year old Dungeon masters who live in their Mom's basement, .... and on her income ?

Boy, would it be nice if that was true, so I could quit my real job! LOL

I'm here like everyone else on my own free time, because I want to be here. Don't let anything else fool you! If people don't want my two cents, just because our squad happens to be sponsored by TM - Ok, I don't get paid to be a fanboi (wish I did), so I'll just keep the goodies to myself instead. Seriously though, we're community peeps who want to share what we can with the community and that's it. It's certainly not my job or semi-occupation. Now, I'm not gonna lie, it would be fun if it actually was though...

am not being mean, just saying, the Virtual Thunderbirds and Virtual BlueAngels seem kind of hokey to me. Who watches one of their performance's live ?, and why would one want to, even if the formation timing is perfect. Even if some of them are retired pilots or real life pilots currently, ... wouldnt it be better to just go see the real Thunderbirds or Blue Angels at an air show ?

To each their own.

Wouldn't it be better to sign up and go fly a real Warthog in combat instead of flying combat sorties with other nerds online? Just kidding, but the same argument applies! Just ask your wife for her honest opinion about our hobby and you'll know...

The people I've been privileged to meet as a direct result of my online flying, hokey to some or not, have produced some amazing friends and even (real) job opportunities from people I've gotten to know in the airline world who happened to stumble across what we do and thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread.

While it's nice to hear people like what you do, I do it because I enjoy it and it's more challenging than anything else I've done flying sims... (as if I don't get enough of that at work already, LOL).

The idea is kind of lost on me. And wearing flight suits when you sit in your basement, seems one step away from those Iraq war imposters who wear Marine Officer full dress uniforms and go around telling their stories about being a 'lieutenant colonel' or some such at Fourth of July events and VFW halls.

I agree with the other poster, only larger distribution of the Warthog to more testers and months of wear and tear will show whether it is really worth its asking price.

We only wear flight suits at trade shows and have never, nor will we ever display rank insignia.

Btw, none of us gets paid a dime for creating hype or posting our own feedback in forums like this one. We do it because we want to share on our own behalf and TM gave us the green light to speak freely...

Thermaltake V9 BlacX Case | Corsair HX 850W PSU | EVGA X58 FTW3 | 24 GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 |
Intel i7-950 @ 4GHz | Corsair H50 Cooler | EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW | Oculus Rift |
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | WD Caviar Black 2 x 1TB 7200RPM |
TM HOTAS Warthog | TM MFD Cougar Pack | 40" LG 1080p LED |
#3107291 - 10/04/10 09:22 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Tbag Offline
Tbag  Offline

Haslemere, UK
Thanks T.E., you made Teej post a nice pic biggrin And now it's time for you to go back to where you came from......Troll!

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. - Douglas Adams
#3107296 - 10/04/10 09:30 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Aaaannnndddd Back to our regurlarly scheduled program. I believe this thread was meant for discussion of the Warthog HOTAS. So, with that in mind, need I say more? That's #2...

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3107326 - 10/04/10 10:00 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: Teej]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Teej
...we did not walk around E3 like that, etc. To illustrate that point...here's yours truly as seen at E3...

Teej, you 'lil devil you. hahaha

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3107356 - 10/04/10 10:47 PM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
TheEngineer Offline
TheEngineer  Offline

VTB guys - I dont believe you were being paid to gloat on the Warthog or recommend it, if in fact it turned out to be poorly made. But you can see where the appearance of a conflict of interest would be valid. And Teej, those are two HOT women (unlike many of the booth babes that show up at these conventions), yet considering the detail to cosmetic enhancement that the UFC seems to require, to secure a spot as a ring girl for a main event, I would say they are facing stiff competition, lol.

Tbag, some SimHQ veteran posters and Moderator Heavies - Everyone may not see it the same as you, or believe that virtual flight teams are the best thing since buttered bread. Just because they may disagree, is not indicative of trolling. An hour to two here and there for 8 hours a week is something that is a hobby. Hobbies can often be healthy, and they inspire with something to look forward to when free time is at hand. Rigorously devoting 30 hours a week to flying in perfect formation for an online viewership that numbers 12 guys, when you are not even getting paid for it, and often at the expense of your family, friends, significant others and your own betterment, is not something I would advocate for a pedestal. That was my only point. If it makes you feel any better, I would argue the same for anyone who spends 30 hours a week fishing, 30 hours a week lifting weights, 30 hours a week fixing their car, etc....

Ghost - Got it, this is last post, no matter what comments may come after.

Resckle and Nutty - Yes, I get the insinuations. I was only reporting on what I can notice so far. No, I have not tried to take apart the unit to discover the asymmetry.

Last edited by TheEngineer; 10/04/10 10:50 PM.
#3107409 - 10/05/10 01:09 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Origin_Freedom Offline
Origin_Freedom  Offline

Juneau,Alaska
enough said, I wish I had their flying skills!!! Cheers to the dedicated,
I will have the TM Warhog, with or without the ladies,,, If you want to test the tech? Then do so, Don't come in blind and bad mouth everyone!!! Once I have it, I give me 2 cent worth. But to each their own.

Last edited by Origin_Freedom; 10/05/10 01:17 AM. Reason: addition
#3107465 - 10/05/10 03:12 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
Resckle and Nutty - Yes, I get the insinuations. I was only reporting on what I can notice so far. No, I have not tried to take apart the unit to discover the asymmetry.

I hate that this was your last post but I would like to get some clarifications on what you say you noticed so far. I don't have a test unit...would be nice if I did but I don't and I was just asking a question to see what you may have found.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#3107503 - 10/05/10 05:36 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: citizen guod]  
Ark Offline
Cat Herder
Ark  Offline
Cat Herder

Fresno, CA.
I'm confused, is Ghost buying me a Warthog or not? biggrin

Ark

Windows 7 x64
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 4.0
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 680 Classified
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
1GB WD "Black"
LG 39" LCD / Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer H233H 23" LCD

RIP Positive G
#3107528 - 10/05/10 07:37 AM Re: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Discussion Thread [Re: TheEngineer]  
Nutty Offline
Nutty  Offline

Bristol, England

I'm just trying to establish who you are and hence indeed, whether you have a Warthog or not.
I note no reply to my question about what version of the Warthog you have, and no explanation as to why you're signing off with different names.
You'll therefore understand my scepticism as to your authenticity and motives.
Apologies if I'm wrong but the ball's in your court to identify yourself.

James

James "Nutty" Hallows
ViperDrivers
Page 37 of 74 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 73 74

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.