Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23
#3640996 - 09/09/12 03:27 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit *** [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Where's that review? And the pics? smile2

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3643958 - 09/14/12 02:14 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
I ordered the Obutto R3volution gaming cockpit through their US distributor Mainperformancepc. Order was placed on Sunday and the package arrived on Tuesday. FedEx was kind enough to call the morning of delivery to ensure I'd be home to sign for it, which is required. The R3volution goes for a cool 700 clams, with another 50 or so thrown in for the optional flight controller add-ons. I did not get the optional acrylic desk top which I will get to in a bit. Shipping was insanely expensive and if you can order this on the mainland before you move overseas, I highly recommend it!

Three very large boxes, one of which was about 100lbs arrived as scheduled. The boxes were fairly crushed, although still sealed. There are some very sharp staples used to secure the boxes. The first thing I did was try to pull one of the stapled sides open during which I almost cut my index finger off. I decided to man up and forego stitches but I did almost make my wife barf by opening and closing the wound in front of her, making it talk and stuff.

Everything comes bubble wrapped. The chair came in the big box, the heavy box contained all of the metal framing pieces. A final box contained all of the assembly hardware and some cat and dog items.

Several people had commented online about how everything is sort of thrown in the box haphazardly. I agree, but with the bubble wrap nothing was damaged and frankly, given the weight of all that metal I don't see how else you can do it.

Besides the largest frame pieces (4-6) which are pretty self-explanatory, everything else comes in a numbered box. The assembly instructions are on a couple of pages. The first thing you're going to want to do is take the instructions, walk to your trashcan, throw them in it, grab a beer from the fridge on your way back into your office, and then boot up youtube. Seriously. The instructions are just plain wrong beginning with step A of step 1 and they don't get much better. But, there are plenty of youtube videos and, additionally, Chris from Obutto hosts a complete set of instructions on his Obutto website. The youtube videos are excellent and once you get going and start to "get it" it actually isn't all that hard to assemble the thing. There are about a billion screws, nuts, and bolts included in a bag, all covered in a grease preservative, and the entire thing just looks intimidating when you lay it out but, trust me, it's not hard. Some of the pieces don't quite fit and you may have to push and bang a bit to get it right, but everything does go togther.

I had plenty of extra screws, nuts and bolts. Everything you need is included although there is one part where you need two wrenches to tighten down a bolt. The desk only comes with one wrench so you'll need to scrounge one up from your own tools. The flight controller package came with another wrench so I was styling, but if you don't get that, or you don't have a basic set of tools in your house you will need to go get this one wrench. Chris tells you what size it is in the video.

Basic assembly, for me, was about 4.5 hours (sober). Several times in the video (and paper instructions upon which, perhaps, your beer is sitting) you are told not to tighten down the bolts. This is solid advice. At some point you will get the whole thing basically assmebled and you'll climb into that seat for the first time. Awesome! Except now you realize that this thing is one big adjustable erector set and you will almost certainly need to take some things apart and move them around to find the fit that suits your particular style best. If everything is only hand-tight it will make this part of the process far less painful. I spent about two hours adusting and re-adjusting until I found what was comfortable for me. For example, I put my keyboard tray on the right side, and the throttle setup in front of the cup holder; opposite what Chris does in the video.

There is a holder included with the basic desk and there are a couple more included with the optional flight controller box. There are no instructions included with the flight controller box so I wasn't quite sure what was supposed to go where. Because everything is so customizable it's probably just as well. There is the ability to set up your flight stick with a center stick mount, but I can't find a way to make that comfortable with my own flying/sitting style so for now I'v gone with the side stick and throttle type mount like the F-16. I'm still going to need to experiment with this some more. The desk comes with some double sided stickies for you to mount your stick and throttle to the mount holders. I very strongly encourage you to do this last. I didn't have any velcro do I used the stickys and they are rock solid; no wiggle in the controller-mount connection at all. I am finding some wiggle between the mount and desk on my throttle but nothing too bad and I haven't tried to tighten it down again yet.

The monitor stand is separate from the desk frame. At first I didn't like this, but having had to move this beast around a bit I see the logic in it and I think it is the way to go. There is a ton of flexibility with how you mount the monitor (height, angle, etc.) so again you'll have no problem figuring out what works for you.

One thing you don't see in the brochure is how horrible this whole thing looks when you set it up on a hard wood floor with wires dangling all over. It is quite the eyesore. So the following day I spent another good 6 hours or so tweaking things until I found something I can live with. At one point Chris mentions in the video about using a carpet underneath the cockpit and I very strongly agree with this. I cut my existing carpet to fit how my desk is situated in the room, ran most of the wires underneath it, and then spent a lot of time tying up and otherwise minimizing the amount of clutter around the computer. It makes a big difference. Here's what my final set up looks like:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, the way I have mine set up, there is no way to mount the stick on the side and then be able to move the keyboard tray over your lap. So, when I'm flying I mount the stick and when I'm typing tech reviews on the internet I unmount the stick and lay it on the ground next to the desk. There is an adjustable tightening knob that allows for easy mount/dismount of the stick so, although this was a bit annoying at first, I find that it isn't a big deal anymore. I don't see how else I could set this up so the stick and keyboard could be mounted 100% of the time.

Regarding the acryllic desk tops: From the pictures it wasn't clear that these weren't included. In all fairness, they are listed as an accessory for the R3volution so I shouldn't have been surprised. I'm not sure what I was thinking; either the top was included or that the keyboard tray was a tabletop. Either way, although I'm making do without the top I intend to order it soon. This is just something for potential buyers to be aware of...

On a final note, I had a minor issue with a part of my desk. I sent an email to mainperformancepc and Obutto and had two responses within 12 hours and after a second email exchange with Chris he immediately requested my mailing address so he could FedEx a replacement part out. I found both companies to have shown exceptional customer service and I feel good knowing that my business is appreciated.

So, that's it. It took me a bit to get used to the Obutto after coming off of a lifetime with typical computer desks, but I feel that I've adjusted nicely to my new toy. The chair is comfortable and the desk is functional although I don't think it's appropriate for a 100% business desk. But for gaming it is pretty awesome, both flight simming, and FPS and strategy gaming. Overall, I can definitely recommend this for the serious hobbyist.

See ya,
Toonces

Last edited by toonces; 09/14/12 02:14 AM.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3643967 - 09/14/12 02:27 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: toonces]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: toonces

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that, the way I have mine set up, there is no way to mount the stick on the side and then be able to move the keyboard tray over your lap. So, when I'm flying I mount the stick and when I'm typing tech reviews on the internet I unmount the stick and lay it on the ground next to the desk. There is an adjustable tightening knob that allows for easy mount/dismount of the stick so, although this was a bit annoying at first, I find that it isn't a big deal anymore. I don't see how else I could set this up so the stick and keyboard could be mounted 100% of the time.

I did it, but I had to order an additional flight mount accessory kit. It works great though, and means I don't have to alternate between keyboard and joystick. Perfect for BF3.

See my pics and post here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3643958/35.html

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3644365 - 09/14/12 07:11 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey thanks for the pictures.

I exchanged an email with Chris about it and he gave me some mounting ideas as well. I may experiment with this set up a bit more.

I've kind of gotten used to the way I have it at the moment. Like I said, it was a bit annoying at first but now it's all second nature. These cockpits really are neat and far more comfortable than the old "HOTAS on the keyboard tray" thing I was doing on my old desk.

"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
#3644377 - 09/14/12 07:24 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hey Pepper, I just re-read your first post on page 40 and I want to second what you said about Obutto's and Mainperformancepc's customer service. Honestly, just top notch. I can't believe Chris would take the time to type out individualized instructions on how to mount my stuff after reading my post above. That's really something.

#3645497 - 09/17/12 04:47 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Yeah, folks like him are good to have for us PC gamers.

Give my method a try if you want to have a setup that allows for HOTAS and keyboard tray without need for switching anything out.
Though if Chris suggests a better mounting method that accomplishes the same thing, please share it with us!

Thanks.

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3646081 - 09/18/12 06:37 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Is there any word about speaker mounts yet? I have an oZone with custom surround speaker mounts but I'd like to upgrade to the R3volution model but can't until I find a speaker mounting solution.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3646138 - 09/18/12 11:05 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
obutto Offline
obutto  Offline

CHINA | USA
Hey mhe, the speaker mounts should be out just before Christmas. The trick for our mounts is catering to folks only running single monitor (for the 2 front side speakers) as well as catering to a more ideal setup with the 2 front side speakers spread out more which you can do on a triple monitor setup by using the triple mount arms as mounting points.

Anyhow, these will be made in the next production run which will start in Oct wink

#3646190 - 09/18/12 01:09 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Stormtrooper Offline
Lifer
Stormtrooper  Offline
Lifer

Was going to purchase one this week. US supplier out of stock frown

#3646382 - 09/18/12 05:47 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Chris, thanks for the info!

There are several things I'd also like to know:

1.) How much space is there beneath each segment of the table mounting arms? I have a huge computer case which needs to be placed next to the pit and I would really appreciate that arms clearing it by an inch or so. (It's a MM Extended Ascension case, so I really mean huge).

2.) Where will the speaker mounts place the speakers? I need to know because of the clearance issue with the case.

3.) Could you make accessory modules which make it possible to mount screens to the sides of the seat? I'd love to add some touchscreens there for FMS programming etc.

4.) Does the keyboard tray clear a touchscreen if it is mounted on the center arm that would normally hold the steering wheel? Don't want to take that touchscreen off all the time. Once the yoke mount you mentioned somewhere comes out, I'll be in sim heaven. Flight simming and fps gaming in perfection.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3646612 - 09/19/12 01:37 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Speaker mounts? Man, it keeps getting better. I really need those, since I have a 5.1 and no good place to put the speakers.

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3646722 - 09/19/12 07:57 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
obutto Offline
obutto  Offline

CHINA | USA
bummer Dave, thanks for your interest though and I expect to receive an order from the US distributor very soon. Shipping times to US from China is only around 21 days so you probably won't have to wait too long wink

mhe, pls see below answers:

1) i use an Antec 1200 full tower and there is an inch of clearance with my tower next to the right side of the cockpit. My tower's usually get positioned about 10" towards me from the nose of the cockpit, so if you had some clearance issues you could just put your tower on the rt or left side but further towards the nose of the cockpit.

2) speaker mounts will probably be either above or below the monitors. Some simracers like their monitors insanely close to their eyes (like 15-20") so their middle monitor is just behind their steering wheel (not the console, the wheel). This would not allow under the monitor mounting, so we are making it so either can accomplished.

3) I've been watching the interest on these seat mounted displays. I may do a small run and see how they sell, just a bit busy with other stuff that is a little higher up the "to do" list heh! Perhaps guys could chime in if they are interested.

4) Yes the keyboard tray will clear a touchscreen if it is mounted on the main mount (steering wheel mount). Alternatively, if you don't want something mounted there, you can mount the touchscreen on one of the tabletop VESA mounts (leave off the acrylic) and then swing it around and position it in the middle when you need it and then swing it over to the side to free up the main mount for other uses. For mounting the touchscreen to the main mount you can get the display higher by flipping the mounting plate upside down and then just attach it with 2 bolts. In the end it really just depends on your uses, controllers, etc, but the cockpit can accommodate much more than the oZone right out of the box.

Hope this helps man wink

Ya Pepper, Christmas isn't too long off, in the meantime give a good headset a try......my fav is still the Logitech G35 even though it's closed ear. Sound is great, mic is great, and it doesn't bother anyone else in the house heheh! I've tried many many over the years including all of Plantronics top of line surround headsets, Razer Megaloden, and Turtle Beach....the G35 just does it for me cheers

Last edited by obutto; 09/19/12 08:02 AM.
#3646772 - 09/19/12 11:36 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC

For my CPU, this method has worked well for me.

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#3648566 - 09/21/12 08:45 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Will we get a full SimHQ r review on this bad boy soon?

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3649284 - 09/23/12 03:50 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

*Panther* is planning on doing a review.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3649306 - 09/23/12 05:16 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Originally Posted By: guod
*Panther* is planning on doing a review.

Review is nearly complete, I'm just trying to solve an issue with my monitor support. Nothing to fault Obutto, it's more of a monitor manufacture making their monitor fitting only one style of brackets... banghead

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3651300 - 09/26/12 05:59 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
toonces Offline
toonces  Offline

Honolulu, Hawaii
Ordered my acrylic tops yesterday. Oh, and mainperformacepc had 2 R3volutions in stock as of yesterday evening when I placed my order smile

#3652092 - 09/27/12 10:59 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

My 2012 upgrade to my office is mid-swing and I wanted to share where it stands now.

When all said and done, that cheap desk will be gone, as everything is fully supported on the Obutto R3Volution.

(Obutto R3Volution)

Here's what it looked like before June. (Obutto Ozone)

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3652103 - 09/27/12 11:14 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Wow Stephanie that looks incredible!

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3652427 - 09/28/12 03:12 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Sweet crikey. Nice.

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
Page 21 of 23 1 2 19 20 21 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.