Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3101473 - 09/26/10 03:12 AM Update on "Milk Cart"  
benjimutt Offline
benjimutt  Offline

Central Michigan
It's certainly not to the level everyone else is doing, but for squeezing in building and flying in between a full time job, casual college classes, and volunteer firefighting, I'm somewhat proud of what my pit is turning out like.

I used plans from KwikPit to build the shell to my cockpit. I'd really like Gene's Series One cockpit, but this'll do for now. When painting and decals are finished, it's supposed to loosely represent an F4U corsair. The pit is used for whatever fancies my muse on the particular day. Usually Wings of Prey, IL2, Yankee Air Pirate 2, and FSX for a nice relaxing day of tooling around in a Bellanca Decathalon.

The Simpit in all it's Glory. Yes, that is a middle console seat from a mid 2000's Silverado. It was free. As was the Saitek X45 someone was going to junk at my father-in-law's place of employment (yes, my father in law is that cool!) Oh, Yes. That's a heathkit SB-101 HF Ham Radio in the background on the file cabinet. I am a man of too many hobbies.

The panel is a purchase from Combat Console This $130 controller has more than fit my needs. I am considering transplanting my Bodnar board into it.

Speaking of Bodnar board, The rudder pedals are Thrustmaster Elite, picked up at an area thrift store for $8!!!! They are currently the only thing running off the bodnar board, but like I said, it's probably going into the Combat Console at some point.

Finishing it off, I have a Playstation EyeToy camera and a TrackIR track clip pro running the head tracking.

I am looking to upgrade to a larger monitor in the future. I am also planning on doing some paint changes. I do know the dash and top will no longer be primer white; going to a matte black instead.

The sim is named "Milk Cart" after the nose art. It's a winged Bernese Mountain Dog (Hey, they are cool, but goofy... kind of like myself!) Bernese Mountain Dogs were regularly used to haul carts of milk into market in the Swiss Berne mountains.

Haven't really decided where else to go from here. After we get moved into the new house, I'd like to find a way to enclose it. Not sure how I am going to accomplish that, yet.

So Folks, I'd be glad to hear what you think. I am hungry for ideas on what to do with it next.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3101490 - 09/26/10 04:04 AM Re: Update on "Milk Cart" [Re: benjimutt]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Very cool Benjimutt, whatever gets you there is great. Good find on the rudder pedals.

Where are you taking classes? CMU?

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0
#3101518 - 09/26/10 05:46 AM Re: Update on "Milk Cart" [Re: benjimutt]  
Corsair8X Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ
Corsair8X  Offline
Dagestan, Dover, DMZ

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
This is all kinds of awesome. Really like the fit of that switch panel and the keyboard below it.

Corsair8X

virtually making history 30mm at a time
#3101702 - 09/26/10 04:08 PM Re: Update on "Milk Cart" [Re: benjimutt]  
benjimutt Offline
benjimutt  Offline

Central Michigan
Propnut: Actually taking classes at Kellogg CC in Battle Creek. I got really lucky on the rudder pedals. It's usually why I make a trip around all the goodwill and salvation army stores every couple weeks. Also found a Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback for $15 that way.

Corsair- I happen to like it too. Keyboard usually gets relinquished to the floor once I am online and established into a dogfight, but it fits well there. The switch panel fits very well. Just happened to find it on a fluke one day while I was bored and sitting in an ambulance, waiting for a call.

Thanks for the kudos!

#3101859 - 09/26/10 09:13 PM Re: Update on "Milk Cart" [Re: benjimutt]  
PropNut Offline
PropNut  Offline

Greenville, Michigan
Oh, so you are in southern Michigan. I am up north of Grand Rapids.

F/A-18C Hornet cockpit build project:

http://hornetpits.org/index.php?topic=15.0

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.